The last RPG you played... that WASN'T Skyrim

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

I had to remind myself that RPG's are still good regardless of what Skyrim shoves at me.

CowboyfromHell666

Jan 14, 2010
Mass Effect 2, or was it Diablo 2. Either one really. I love them both, and lately I have been crazy excited for the sequals for both of these games so I felt like playing through both again.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DS). It's not so bad.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
SMT: Devil survivor. I love turn based rpgs, I love monster collector games, and I love strategy games. Mix of all three makes it perfect

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
It has been a while since I played an RPG that wasn't Skyrim, but it'd be The Witcher 2 with Risen just before it. Thoroughly enjoyed both.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
Excluding MMORPGs (which I personally don't count as RPGs, but you know, just to be completely up front) - Dragon Age 2. I think because of that, I went into Skyrim with hopes a bit lower than they otherwise might have been. Not like it matters, mind you, Skyrim is pretty damn amazing. I should go play more...

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
I am tempted to say in all seriousness Saints Row the Third, due to the fact that it has a level-up system, upgradable skills and weapons, and customization options. You are playing a role in this game, even if that role is not a swords-and-sorcery one.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
urprobablyright said:
I'm currently playing Gothic 3 and TES: Morrowind. Haven't played Skyrim since I got bored of it and restarted the TES series.
Hey, hey, gothic 3, me too. I'm actually replaying it, seeing as how I gave up on it the first time round. But now that I'm playing it again, it doesn't seem too bad. Sure, it's not as good as Gothic 2 or even 1, but it's still a pretty big and beautiful RPG with lots to find. And now that I'm playing a different class, I've gotten a chance to see how refined the levelling system really is. It's got quite a fun and focused character progression system.
Anyway, I also recently discovered that Piranha Bytes created a new series (the second game of it is coming out next year), named "Risen", which looks like it's gone back to the design roots that made Gothic 1 and 2 so good. That would be on an island with lots of mountains and a monestrey, a focused cast of characters and barriers which aren't dependant on story progression, but on how strong you are (i.e. you can go in any direction, but some places have tougher monsters, so you'll have to wait until later in the game to get there). I can't wait to play it really.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
6_Qubed said:
I am tempted to say in all seriousness Saints Row the Third, due to the fact that it has a level-up system, upgradable skills and weapons, and customization options. You are playing a role in this game, even if that role is not a swords-and-sorcery one.
That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I'd still say it's not an RPG. Not because it's not Medevil (after all Fallout is an RPG with guns), but because there's no real story behind the streets of Steelport. Oh sure, there's the main story and there are tons of people, but there's no direct exposition related to them besides what the main story dictates. That leaves you just to play around in that world, which is fine, but then I'd still class it as a sandbox.
It's true, however, that the definition is based on pretty shaky grounds, considering how sandboxes and RPGs are different, but sandboxes and a lot of RPGs can at the same time be umbrellaed* under "open-world games".

*That's right, I used it as a verb.

BathorysGraveland said:
It has been a while since I played an RPG that wasn't Skyrim, but it'd be The Witcher 2 with Risen just before it. Thoroughly enjoyed both.
I just talked about Risen in one of my other posts (the one above). How would you say it holds up as an RPG?

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
Jade Empire. I was pissed after work one day, and I wanted to get drunk and spend some time with characters I know and love. My internet was down so I couldn't play Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, or watch Netflix, so I loaded up an old favorite.

Besides, I'm building an Artificer character for D&D 4E based on Kang the Mad.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Planescape: Torment.
'Twas only playing it earlier this day, and it is possibly one of the best RPG's I've played to date, as the internet often states.

Ceil-Sama

Oct 29, 2008
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura.

A real shame that Troika games long dissolved. Arcanum and VTMB were amazing.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I got a new 360 in september and the whole memory transfer went horribly wrong, so I've been repalying Mass effect 1 and 2 with different characters before number three's released in march. I'm currently playing Skyrim, but what to get that finished before sunday when I get Dragons Age 1 and 2 (though I'm seeing going from one fantasy RPG into another as a mistake)