The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
It is magnificent. I don't give out 10/10s very much but in this case I feel compelled to. It is rare to find a work with such an unflinching eye for brutality and yet willing and able to create such an exquisite, triumphant catharsis.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished the rest of SW: Visions. Overall, I like nearly all of the shorts. The weakest link for me is the band episode. I get trying to do something different, but it did not work for me.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I finished the rest of SW: Visions. Overall, I like nearly all of the shorts. The weakest link for me is the band episode. I get trying to do something different, but it did not work for me.
Were you watching subs or dubs? Apparently, the Japanese audio was much better

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Were you watching subs or dubs? Apparently, the Japanese audio was much better
I watched all of them dubbed, as I far as I know the, English audio was worked for me. Maybe the Japanese version might be louder, I don't know. I'll probably watch some of my favorites shorts in Japanese, but I am not doing all of them.

Performance wise, everyone did fine on the English side as far I am concerned.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I watched all of them dubbed, as I far as I know the, English audio was worked for me. Maybe the Japanese version might be louder, I don't know. I'll probably watch some of my favorites shorts in Japanese, but I am not doing all of them.

Performance wise, everyone did fine on the English side as far I am concerned.
Oh, I was talking about Tatooine Rhapsody specifically. It's the only one that I figured had a bad dub. If the song worked for you in English, then subs probably aren't gonna fix that

I really need to start that Visions thread, all those shorts are fantastic and I've got some hot takes

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, I was talking about Tatooine Rhapsody specifically. It's the only one that I figured had a bad dub. If the song worked for you in English, then subs probably aren't gonna fix that
I should have been specfic, I didn't like the singing in that one. While I know sub version will be a 1000x better, not worth going through a second time. I just want this to come out on Blu Ray already.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So DC announced season 4 of Young Justice and released the first two episode seemingly out of nowhere.

I still think Season 1 was some of the greatest superhero animation we've ever gotten, right up there with Justice League Unlimited. Every season since then has been diminishing returns. I was especially worried by Season 3, which looked like they'd outsourced the animation to China or something. It looked and sounded worse, and wasn't a particularly interesting story.

Season 4, or well the first two episodes, at the very least looks and sounds better than 3. But then its only focusing on three main characters, all veterans of the show. Superboy, Miss Martian, and Beast Boy go to Mars for the couple's wedding. Exploring Martian society is quite fun, something they've built up to for quite a while. And I have to say, it's kind of genius for them to not need to animate people's mouths when they talk, since it's all telepathy. And I keep getting a kick out of these extremely talented voice actors having to say extremely silly Martian names.

But honestly, I was hoping for more. I don't know how many episodes the season will have, but wasting a whole two on this "intro to Mars" thing seems like a waste. Since all the Disney+ shows have ended, I need something new to watch with my siblings each week, so this will do. But I really hope it gets better.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So DC announced season 4 of Young Justice and released the first two episode seemingly out of nowhere.

I still think Season 1 was some of the greatest superhero animation we've ever gotten, right up there with Justice League Unlimited. Every season since then has been diminishing returns. I was especially worried by Season 3, which looked like they'd outsourced the animation to China or something. It looked and sounded worse, and wasn't a particularly interesting story.

Season 4, or well the first two episodes, at the very least looks and sounds better than 3. But then its only focusing on three main characters, all veterans of the show. Superboy, Miss Martian, and Beast Boy go to Mars for the couple's wedding. Exploring Martian society is quite fun, something they've built up to for quite a while. And I have to say, it's kind of genius for them to not need to animate people's mouths when they talk, since it's all telepathy. And I keep getting a kick out of these extremely talented voice actors having to say extremely silly Martian names.

But honestly, I was hoping for more. I don't know how many episodes the season will have, but wasting a whole two on this "intro to Mars" thing seems like a waste. Since all the Disney+ shows have ended, I need something new to watch with my siblings each week, so this will do. But I really hope it gets better.
What platform are they broadcasting that on? Because I can only get up to Season 2 on Netflix.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Columbia Classics Volume 2 arrived today. I started with The Tell-Tale Heart (1953), from the bonus disc of short films. Gorgeous little movie. Haven't watched anything else yet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Rose of Versailles is as great as I remember. I know the French commoners must've had it worse before their revolution, but some of it reminds me of what America is currently going through. Like the top two percent hoarding wealth equal to the bottom fifty percent of the population. It's awesome to see how much research the mangaka did, meaning how much is accurate about Marie Antoinette and the other characters around her when you check historical articles. And it's presented in a way that's entertaining.

13. Wind of Arras, Answer Me....mkv_snapshot_19.45.946.jpg
13. Wind of Arras, Answer Me....mkv_snapshot_19.49.301.jpg

Of course the star of the show is not the queen, but her bodyguard, commander of the royal guards, Lady Oscar. One of my favorite female characters ever.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Superbeasto - It's basically a giant fever dream of lewdness, and it's funny seeing Rob go crazy with his ideas. I forgot this based off his comic book. The animation was done by Spumco, though the creator of Ren & Stimpy was never involved in any way. Despite all of its lewdness, heavy nudity, and goes crazy with the dick jokes, the film has its own charm and it shameless about it in the best way possible. Watch, but be warned, not safe around the kiddies. Plus, the jokes mostly land, despite how absurd and random it gets. I would still watch it over Drawn Together Season 3 and the Drawn Together Movie. Side note, expect some voice cameos from other actors that starred in his past films. A lot of them being Rob's personal crew and friends.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I finally got around to watching Star Wars Visions and it was rather hit and miss. The Kurosawa episode was great, the band episode was strangely amusing(because how often do you get a story like that in SW ever?), the one with the robot boy was cute, the one with the twins fighting on the star destroyer was fun because of how utterly bonkers it was and I rather liked the one with Bunny girl and Blood Makeup chick as foster siblings(?). And there were some other ones I guess, I zoned out on some of the others.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finally got around to watching Star Wars Visions and it was rather hit and miss. The Kurosawa episode was great, the band episode was strangely amusing(because how often do you get a story like that in SW ever?), the one with the robot boy was cute, the one with the twins fighting on the star destroyer was fun because of how utterly bonkers it was and I rather liked the one with Bunny girl and Blood Makeup chick as foster siblings(?). And there were some other ones I guess, I zoned out on some of the others.
The Twins, Ronin, and The Master and The Apprentice are my personal favorites. The Twins is Trigger (Kill La Kill fame) doing what they do best. They worked on two shorts. The other one being The Master and The Apprentice.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Promise Neverland season 2. It started off good, but started getting kinda contrived with convenient ways out of complicated situations. But, even with that I would still recommend it for a good thriller kinda series, but I do think that season 1 is stronger as a whole.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Promise Neverland season 2. It started off good, but started getting kinda contrived with convenient ways out of complicated situations. But, even with that I would still recommend it for a good thriller kinda series, but I do think that season 1 is stronger as a whole.
Was season 2 not a complete dumpster fire? Or was that season 3...

OT: Komi Can't Communicate. I haven't enjoyed an anime as much as this in a longgg time. Very wholesome premise, while still having all the insanity you'd expect from an anime. Weirdly strong production values as well, the animation doesn't need to be as good as it is. Same goes for the soundtrack.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Was season 2 not a complete dumpster fire? Or was that season 3...

OT: Komi Can't Communicate. I haven't enjoyed an anime as much as this in a longgg time. Very wholesome premise, while still having all the insanity you'd expect from an anime. Weirdly strong production values as well, the animation doesn't need to be as good as it is. Same goes for the soundtrack.
There is no season 3, season 2 wraps up pretty much everything. Like, it cleans up all the lose ends to the point it would be difficult to have anything come after. Its not a dumpster fire, just not as good as season 1 and the start of 2.

Ok yeah, Komi, I was curious about that, I'll add it to the list once I have an opening.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There is no season 3, season 2 wraps up pretty much everything. Like, it cleans up all the lose ends to the point it would be difficult to have anything come after. Its not a dumpster fire, just not as good as season 1 and the start of 2.

Ok yeah, Komi, I was curious about that, I'll add it to the list once I have an opening.
I seem to remember a thread about how season 2 was so bad or something that the writers refused to have their names credited. Eh, either way, I enjoyed the manga enough. Not too interested in the anime, especially since it sounds like they either cut out maybe a third of the story or sped through it.