The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is something you'll also notice with a lot of Ghibli movies from decades ago with time being spent just looking at scenery in order to establish a mood.
Theres a fine art to doing that though. Now Ghibli being the quality artists that they are make this work. However in lesser hands this same technique is just dull padding.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I watched Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire with my family, first time for them and first time in like 15 years for me.

So it's a pretty good film, it has a good cast and an interesting set of main characters(and remarkably diverse of the time period it's set in). It also generally is well paced and there's some fun action sequences.

However, there are a number of plot holes that I can't really ignore:

1. The expedition starts out with a huge submarine and loses most of it like 20 minutes into the movie, leaving them with like a dozen or so guys(most of whom are the main cast) and a handful of trucks plus a giant drill. And yet, near the end, the bad guy is able to pull out pretty much whatever he fucking needs at a moments notice. Gas Mask mooks just kind of spring into existence the moment they're needed for drama, the expedition has airplanes and balloons and such just there because it's time for a big action setpiece and I mean....how?

2. The whole language issue. Milo is apparently the only one who can read Atlantean, because even the people who are still living in the ruins (some of whom who were ALIVE 8000 years ago when Atlantis fell) can't read their own language anymore because.....I have no fucking clue. And then it's weirder that because he can read Atlantean, he can also SPEAK it because clearly an 8000 year old language is spoken the same way it's read. And then it turns out the Atlanteans can speak Modern English, French, etc because apparently Atlantean is the root language of all modern languages, except that's now how languages work at all. If you knew Proto-Indo-European and could speak it, that doesn't mean you can figure out all the languages descended from PIE at a moments notice. That's not even getting into language drift and there are people in modern day ENGLAND that I could barely understand(people in Newcastle, if you're wondering) as a Native (American) English speaker.

As an then there's one wierd bit where Milo is rambling on about their language and going "It's got a little bit of Latin, a little bit of Sumerian" and I was like....hold up, how the fuck do you know how to speak Sumerian? It's been a dead language for thousands of years and I doubt you're the one fucking man on the planet who figured out how to speak it. Latin at least makes sense because Latin is still spoken. Hell, Greek would make sense because even though modern greek and ancient greek aren't quite the same language, it's still an actual used language but fucking Sumerian?

And the annoying thing they had an easy out. Just have them say something like the magic crystals working as universal translators and be done with it. It still wouldn't explain the atlanteans forgetting their own language but at least explains how the main cast could talk to the atlanteans and visa versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
That's not even getting into language drift and there are people in modern day ENGLAND that I could barely understand(people in Newcastle, if you're wondering) as a Native (American) English speaker.
Yes, and that's consistent with the film seeing as American English is descended from British English.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Was doing a bday thing and my sisters kid was around so rewatched MLP the next generation. Its still good and the songs are still awesome.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Still finding it hilarious that the Attack on Titan FINAL SEASON is getting a Part 3. Never heard of a single season of anime lasting for like three years.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Gotta hype it up or fewer people would watch
I don't think a lack of an audience is a problem AoT has ever had. If anything, I'm feeling less hyped that they keep prolonging the whole "this is totally the last season this time" shtick. Oh well, it's not like I was watching. I do enjoy all the cool scenes that get uploaded to YouTube.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still finding it hilarious that the Attack on Titan FINAL SEASON is getting a Part 3. Never heard of a single season of anime lasting for like three years.
The fact that they split it into parts, shows you how much they're stretching it. Glad I am not watching.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The fact that they split it into parts, shows you how much they're stretching it. Glad I am not watching.

I read the ending so I know longer care. Knowing me Ill forget all about it and watch it in a couple years when its all done. This is why I prefer self-contained shows that are only a couple seasons. At least for the moment Ill make an exception for Demon Slayer which has been pretty epic, but the pacing and writing is so much better on that show.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I read the ending so I know longer care. Knowing me Ill forget all about it and watch it in a couple years when its all done.
It's exactly what I did with Inuyasha when it was still airing on adult swim back in 2006. I regret nothing by ditching it. Since anime and manga series that is a waste of everyone's time.

This is why I prefer self-contained shows that are only a couple seasons.
Same. Most of my anime collection are self-contained stories.

At least for the moment Ill make an exception for Demon Slayer which has been pretty epic, but the pacing and writing is so much better on that show.
I'm still not interested in DS. I'll give the show credit, but I'm still getting Bleach and Inuyasha vibes from the show. Starts off either with a great premise or interesting start, but then craps the bed later on. My rule of anime is like this: if it don't have a definitive or self-contained ending, I'm not watching it. If it's over 100 to 500 plus episodes, that I am definitely not watching. MHA I quit do it getting less interesting, and having too many of the problems most shounen series face.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm still not interested in DS. I'll give the show credit, but I'm still getting Bleach and Inuyasha vibes from the show. Starts off either with a great premise or interesting start, but then craps the bed later on. My rule of anime id like this: if it don't have a definitive or self-contained ending, I'm not watching it. If it's over 100 to 500 plus episodes, that I am definitely not watching. MHA I quit do it getting less interesting, and having too many of the problems most shounen series face.
I'd say Demon Slayer is the complete opposite of what you don't want in a shounen. At the pace that they've adapted the manga (which has already concluded), the anime is already half over. Not that Demon Slayer is perfect, plotwise it has it's fair share of problems, but if you just want eye candy that you can get a season over with quickly, then it's perfect.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd say Demon Slayer is the complete opposite of what you don't want in a shounen. At the pace that they've adapted the manga (which has already concluded), the anime is already half over. Not that Demon Slayer is perfect, plotwise it has it's fair share of problems, but if you just want eye candy that you can get a season over with quickly, then it's perfect.
I will keep that in mind.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Yeah, Im not looking to sell anyone on it, but I will describe my experience. I actually gave up on it an episode or two in because I assumed it was going to be samurai My hero academia which I stopped watching a while back because 60 something episodes in it was getting pretty tired.

I came back to DS because my nephew's were obsessed with it and their dad had already read the whole manga is over as I understand it.

The primary arc of the show becomes clear I think by the end of the first season and youre essentially given a goal post for where the show would potentially end. It doesnt feel like its gonna be this long winded show about a kid "getting stronger". Its very specific. Its 3 like 13 episode seasons in and everyone seems to agree itll be 6 seasons and thatll be the end of it aside from side movies. Theyre also apparently putting out movies that condense the seasons into 2 hour movies.

I think that coupled with the r-rating and mindbending budget on animation has kept me hooked. One of these days Im gonna rewatch the train finale on shrooms.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think that coupled with the r-rating and mindbending budget on animation has kept me hooked. One of these days Im gonna rewatch the train finale on shrooms.
I personally think the conclusion to the latest season absolutely blows the whole train movie out of the water. That shit is indeed mindbendingly amazing. And it seems they didn't need to enslave a bunch of animators to do it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Demon slayer early season is weird, pretty much everything in the first 2-3 episodes is kicked out of the story by the fifth episodes, its like the show soft reboot itself. So if you tried the first few episodes and didn't like it you might want to push trough (alternativly if you liked the first few episodes, sorry to say but that anime is dead and really show that the audience for shonen does not want any modification to the formula).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Young Justice Phantoms is fucking, fucking awful. I am shocked that the same team is still working on it, because it's almost unrecognizable.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Young Justice Phantoms is fucking, fucking awful. I am shocked that the same team is still working on it, because it's almost unrecognizable.
Seriously, who's still watching Young Justice at this point? I know the show had a recent revival, but move on to something else already. That show got way too grim dark for its own good.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Its a real bummer because there was a very emotionally rewarding straight forward 3 season arc watching these kids grow up. I'd say that I don't know what this season is about, but I do and its just been a new random storyline every 3 episodes with nothing tying any of them together. Were 15 or whatever episodes in and they still haven't explained why beast is even depressed, he just shows up every 5 or 6 episode to continue showing us he's still depressed. This started at the beginning of the season so its not even about superboy. Its weirdest fucking way of telling a story I've ever seen. I think since around episode 5 or 6 I've just been dragging myself through it due to sunk cost fallacy. Aside from that its just so fucking boring. I cant help but think this is like a season of lost episodes or scripts they threw together to create filler for DC Universe. The Transgender or non-binary, whatever shit with Dust was just one big groan. It was the most heavy handed way of trying to convey morals Ive ever seen in a cartoon.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Seriously, who's still watching Young Justice at this point? I know the show had a recent revival, but move on to something else already. That show got way too grim dark for its own good.
That's the funny thing, it tries to be super grim dark but you can never take it seriously with how absolutely shit the animation is.

Its a real bummer because there was a very emotionally rewarding straight forward 3 season arc watching these kids grow up. I'd say that I don't know what this season is about, but I do and its just been a new random storyline every 3 episodes with nothing tying any of them together. Were 15 or whatever episodes in and they still haven't explained why beast is even depressed, he just shows up every 5 or 6 episode to continue showing us he's still depressed. This started at the beginning of the season so its not even about superboy. Its weirdest fucking way of telling a story I've ever seen. I think since around episode 5 or 6 I've just been dragging myself through it due to sunk cost fallacy. Aside from that its just so fucking boring. I cant help but think this is like a season of lost episodes or scripts they threw together to create filler for DC Universe. The Transgender or non-binary, whatever shit with Dust was just one big groan. It was the most heavy handed way of trying to convey morals Ive ever seen in a cartoon.
Same, the only reason I dragged myself through the last 4 episodes (which came like 4 months after the first 14 episodes or something) is because they teased that Wally would be returning. Turns out it was a straight up fucking lie.

And I have to say, this is one of the few times that "get woke, go broke" actually applies. The way they pump the brakes on the show every 5 minutes just to bludgeon the viewers with some social justice bullshit is almost hilarious. Halo's desire to learn more about Islam could have been interesting, but she literally just goes "What is Islam?" at one point and I just stopped giving a shit.