The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That's the funny thing, it tries to be super grim dark but you can never take it seriously with how absolutely shit the animation is.

Same, the only reason I dragged myself through the last 4 episodes (which came like 4 months after the first 14 episodes or something) is because they teased that Wally would be returning. Turns out it was a straight up fucking lie.

And I have to say, this is one of the few times that "get woke, go broke" actually applies. The way they pump the brakes on the show every 5 minutes just to bludgeon the viewers with some social justice bullshit is almost hilarious. Halo's desire to learn more about Islam could have been interesting, but she literally just goes "What is Islam?" at one point and I just stopped giving a shit.
halo right, got her mixed with Dust from marvel. Im generally ok with that stuff as long as its organic, but firstly its like "wtf does this have to do with the story?" this wasnt like a side story, Halo wasnt even in the show they just decided to put the breaks on for this bizarre sesame street gender & islam gi Joe "knowing is half battle" short.

They did the same thing with deciding to give aqualad a new origin in the middle of an episode, just like "hey were taking a break for a ten minutes to explanation how aqualads mom married some other dude after mantis". Why the fuck do I care? This isnt something that happens as a part an aqualad arc or anything. The show just..stops. Out of no where. and its like wtf

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Christ, now they're covering autism as the social justice flavor of the week. Admittedly less heavy handed than the last arc, but it's just been one episode so far (with the next two for some reason releasing in December).

Anyway.

Spy x Family. An anime adaptation of one of the few manga I still read weekly. It was fun and cute, I really dig anime that aren't set in Japan. Anya is adorable, although I thought Lloyd could have been cooler. But excited for the next eps.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Christ, now they're covering autism as the social justice flavor of the week. Admittedly less heavy handed than the last arc, but it's just been one episode so far (with the next two for some reason releasing in December).

Anyway.

Spy x Family. An anime adaptation of one of the few manga I still read weekly. It was fun and cute, I really dig anime that aren't set in Japan. Anya is adorable, although I thought Lloyd could have been cooler. But excited for the next eps.
*sigh* Fine. I guess I should check out the first volume if people are into it this much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*sigh* Fine. I guess I should check out the first volume if people are into it this much.
You don't have to force yourself if you don't want to. I've heard all about the rave reviews, the excitement, and hype, yet I'm not interested. Right now I'm focused on Arcane. I need to inject myself with dat good shit!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You don't have to force yourself if you don't want to. I've heard all about the rave reviews, the excitement, and hype, yet I'm not interested. Right now I'm focused on Arcane. I need to inject myself with dat good shit!
Oh it's not that I'm forcing myself. Just that a friend from work has been reading it pretty voraciously for a few months and seeing it getting popular like this now has got me interested in at least checking it out. My *sigh* is that if I do end up liking it then that's more of my wallet going towards another series. I guess it's just a case of suffering from too much of a good thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh it's not that I'm forcing myself. Just that a friend from work has been reading it pretty voraciously for a few months and seeing it getting popular like this now has got me interested in at least checking it out. My *sigh* is that if I do end up liking it then that's more of my wallet going towards another series. I guess it's just a case of suffering from too much of a good thing.
Just wait for a sale on the box set. It usually doesn't take long to happen. Most anime I've ever gotten, I've either gotten on sale, or got it used. I especially hate it when they take a season and split it into parts that you have to buy separately. Only for complete sets that come out it'll almost always be cheaper than the original starting price. They did the same thing with Space Dandy unfortunately. Granted, the series is only 26 episode, but I do admit that it's done a little that about 8 months down the line, they had a complete box set that did not take too long to go to a cheaper price. I still have my original purchases of the blu-rays, so that sting lessons. Megalobox was originally 80 something dollars on Blu-ray at Best buy. I literally did not get the box set until about a year and a half afterward, when the price was $44.99. The box set you can usually get for about $30 now. All I can say is be patient. Cuz the full price is almost never worth it. Recently a few months back, I picked up the box set of the Cutie Honey Remake. The anime is only 12 episodes long, yet they were originally charging 65 plus dollars when the release back in summer of 2020. I got the box set for a little more than half that price. I paid about $27. It's usually best to play the waiting game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finally started watching Arcane. I am loving it so far, and have little complaints. I stopped on episode 6 and will finish the rest when I get home. I know nothing about League of Legends lore, and don't find the source material engaging (the gameplay I do not like at all), but from what I hear from fans, the backstories/origins of these characters are accurate. So props to the writers on attention to detail and caring about what they are writing. I will say the game has cool character designs, but that is about all the praise I can give to the source material.

The animation and sound design is Godlike! The action is fluid and well paced, and the show knows how to build tension. Everything has this animated painted look and it works. I'll give my closing thoughts when I finish the show.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Finally started watching Arcane. I am loving it so far, and have little complaints. I stopped on episode 6 and will finish the rest when I get home. I know nothing about League of Legends lore, and don't find the source material engaging (the gameplay I do not like at all), but from what I hear from fans, the backstories/origins of these characters are accurate. So props to the writers on attention to detail and caring about what they are writing. I will say the game have cool character designs, but that is about all the praise I can give to the source material.

The animation and sound design is Godlike! The action is fluid and well paced, and the show knows how to build tension. Everything has this animated painted look and it works. I'll give my closing thoughts when I finish the show.
League does have very good writing when it comes to fleshing out the characters, which is ironic given how generic they were when LoL first launched. They've actually managed to make an interesting fantasy world.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
412. Fire!.mkv_snapshot_09.52.904.jpg

Found out today that I've been mispronouncing Fellini's La Dolce Vita in my head for years.

413. Dye! Dye! My Darling.mkv_snapshot_10.48.019.jpg

Wonder if the Daria DVDs are in the wrong framing, because this keeps happening in the digitally animated seasons.

Tiffany from the fashion club is one of my favorite side-characters. Her slow delivery is sometimes pretty funny.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
We Bare Bears S3

The show starts centering episodes more around side characters than the bears themselves, which I think is a huge miss. I simply don't like the side characters as much as the bears, and I'd rather watch the bears deal with conflict in three distinct ways (each of them roughly corresponds with id, ego and superego) than have a side character hog the limelight. Especially because it's always the same - everyone has a single defining attribute and they all keep learning the same lesson, if they make a pretense of learning anything at all. I hit an episode that for the first time doesn't even feature the bears at all and that got me thinking about how sidelined they're becoming in their own show.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (or something, the anime seems to have a variety of names)

Basically, the president and vice-president of the student council of an elite private school have feelings for each other. Both being geniuses, they naturally refuse to do the straightforward thing and confess to each and instead attempt to force the other into confessing to them first. Hence, love is war.

It's a setup that honestly felt really tiring in the first few episodes, which is why I originally dropped off from watching. But after maybe the first three episodes, more characterization happens and the humor gets better. I ended up binging the two seasons in a couple of days. It's no masterpiece, and frankly I enjoyed the -com far more than the rom-, but it's a good fun watch. I liked how sexual themes were dealt with, always talked about but never shown. Except when it came to the OVA, which was basically a stone's throw away from being straight up hentai.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just when I thought I was tired of Rick and Morty, I get pulled back in. Season 5 Episode 1 and 2 on Hulu.

I don't think this ever means to add up in some way.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (or something, the anime seems to have a variety of names)

Basically, the president and vice-president of the student council of an elite private school have feelings for each other. Both being geniuses, they naturally refuse to do the straightforward thing and confess to each and instead attempt to force the other into confessing to them first. Hence, love is war.

It's a setup that honestly felt really tiring in the first few episodes, which is why I originally dropped off from watching. But after maybe the first three episodes, more characterization happens and the humor gets better. I ended up binging the two seasons in a couple of days. It's no masterpiece, and frankly I enjoyed the -com far more than the rom-, but it's a good fun watch. I liked how sexual themes were dealt with, always talked about but never shown. Except when it came to the OVA, which was basically a stone's throw away from being straight up hentai.
I really like the show but I just don't care for the rom- part, all the character are just too cartoonish to take seriously so none of the romantic action have any impact. This works most of the time, but once in awhile you'll get episode almost entirely devoid of comedy and I'm just really bored, except for the Ishigami backstory episode were I was both bored and pissed off.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Against my better judgement, I went and watched a bunch of isekai series.

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

OK, not a 'bunch', per se (to-mei-to, to-maa-to), but anyway, just felt like it. They're... OK. Colour me... simply whelmed by them for the most part.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Against my better judgement, I went and watched a bunch of isekai series.

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

OK, not a 'bunch', per se (to-mei-to, to-maa-to), but anyway, just felt like it. They're... OK. Colour me... simply whelmed by them for the most part.
While I haven't watched the anime of any of these, I would say 'Overlord' and 'That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime' handle having a hyper competent and overpowered MC the best.

'Ascendance of a Bookworm' and 'How a Realistic Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom' justified the isekai plot element the best.

'Ascendance of a Bookworm' and 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' have the strongest starts but after Part 1 of the former, it starts becoming far too typical isekai fare and after the Labyrinth arc of the latter the power scaling goes out of control and the MC stops developing.

Special mention to 'The Sorcerer King of Destruction and the Golem of the Barbarian Queen'. While it seems some readers found the MC annoying with just how oblivious he could be, I found it refreshing that while he was overpowered, he wasn't also hyper competent. Also kudos to 'How a Realistic Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom' for having a harem romance that is actually a harem, good job, just go for it baby.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Started on Aoashi. Basically a football anime, but realistic (at least, relative to magic superpower football).

It comes from the same studio as Haikyuu, so I had high hopes. So far, it's alright I guess. Nothing really special. The animation is nothing to write home about, which was my biggest disappointment. Hopefully it's just a slow burn and things will get more exciting.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
While I haven't watched the anime of any of these, I would say 'Overlord' and 'That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime' handle having a hyper competent and overpowered MC the best.

'Ascendance of a Bookworm' and 'How a Realistic Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom' justified the isekai plot element the best.

'Ascendance of a Bookworm' and 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' have the strongest starts but after Part 1 of the former, it starts becoming far too typical isekai fare and after the Labyrinth arc of the latter the power scaling goes out of control and the MC stops developing.

Special mention to 'The Sorcerer King of Destruction and the Golem of the Barbarian Queen'. While it seems some readers found the MC annoying with just how oblivious he could be, I found it refreshing that while he was overpowered, he wasn't also hyper competent. Also kudos to 'How a Realistic Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom' for having a harem romance that is actually a harem, good job, just go for it baby.
Spider shit the bed so hard on the adaptation, by the end there's barely any animation, I'd hard skip unless someone is desperate for more isekai. The manga is much better anyway (cut out all the generic human side). Even then its not worth reading on after the labyrinth arc, it might as well be a different story.

Overlord also really struggle in adaptation quality, S2 was really bad and apparently S3 is worst.

I like bookworm in concept, but execution is mized. The main character is incredibly inconsistent and constantly give up over the smallest set back (often caused by her own stupidity). And around halfway point of S2 it gives up most of its premise for "the main character is the most awesome things in existence" stuff.

The only serious isekai (ie not konosuba) that I liked was grimgar, but its so different from most isekai that it makes little sense to call it as such. The character are all very weak and there's not even an hint of harem or slave girl. But it deal with loss in a pretty serious way and character action have consequence.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Spider shit the bed so hard on the adaptation, by the end there's barely any animation, I'd hard skip unless someone is desperate for more isekai. The manga is much better anyway (cut out all the generic human side). Even then its not worth reading on after the labyrinth arc, it might as well be a different story.

Overlord also really struggle in adaptation quality, S2 was really bad and apparently S3 is worst.

I like bookworm in concept, but execution is mized. The main character is incredibly inconsistent and constantly give up over the smallest set back (often caused by her own stupidity). And around halfway point of S2 it gives up most of its premise for "the main character is the most awesome things in existence" stuff.

The only serious isekai (ie not konosuba) that I liked was grimgar, but its so different from most isekai that it makes little sense to call it as such. The character are all very weak and there's not even an hint of harem or slave girl. But it deal with loss in a pretty serious way and character action have consequence.
Yeah, Spider just wasn't designed with some kind of grand story in mind. Neither the set up nor the MC are designed for something like a save the world plot. It's weird how I wanted to always skip the human character's during the labyrinth arc but once that ended it flipped and they were the ones I wanted to keep following. The author should have either kept to a smaller scale story following Shirou or changed Shirou to be appropriate for the story they were making. I stopped reading after an entire volume resulted in absolutely nothing changing between the start and the end of it (The one after Shirou gains godhood *sigh*).