The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finished the first season of Jujutsu Kaisen. I still think the power system and the worldbuilding are terribly lacking, but the characters and the animation really make up for it. Plus points that it has actual good female characters for once.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, the power scaling is all over the goddamned place. I have no idea if getting thrown though a building is particularly bad or not. Characters are fun though. I honestly like the after credits sequences more than the main show a lot of the time. Haven't seen the end, but I'm assuming Nobura finally gets a win

I mostly love that there isn't the Obligatory Shonen Pervert Character. If there was one shonen trope that died in a fire, never to be seen again...

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
JJK is easy to boil down:

Con:
Worldbuilding is a mess and everything that make it unique have long ago been abandoned.
Power level is all over the place, with the MC going from weak to 2nd most powerful in a matter of weeks.

Plus:
Character.
MAPA

Now it's mostly a "turn your brain off" show that I just watch for the animation, not bad but I doubt I'll remember it in 1 year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JJK is easy to boil down:

Con:
Worldbuilding is a mess and everything that make it unique have long ago been abandoned.
Power level is all over the place, with the MC going from weak to 2nd most powerful in a matter of weeks.

Plus:
Character.
MAPA

Now it's mostly a "turn your brain off" show that I just watch for the animation, not bad but I doubt I'll remember it in 1 year.
That's the problem with most action Shounen anime. It's why I rarely ever bother with it anymore. All I can say is thank Christ I'm all variety person. I prefer my anime shorter anyway.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
New season, folks, anything catch the eye?

Looking at Joran, Princess of Snow & Blood, and Super Cub of all things (and it's premise and setting is just screaming for a crossover with Yuru Camp. -_-

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
New season, folks, anything catch the eye?

Looking at Joran, Princess of Snow & Blood, and Super Cub of all things (and it's premise and setting is just screaming for a crossover with Yuru Camp. -_-
Odd taxi was great, if anyone like more grounded show with some mystery it seems promising. Liked super cub, but it was a bit strange how quickly she went from depressed moping to happy go lucky just cause she got a moped, it's like she literally had never tried getting a hobby before.

The way the anime industry work is strange, this season not only has one show about an adult man who is eventually going to sleep with an highschool girl, but two! Why that subject in particular needed to be done twice in the same season is beyond me.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...the fact that you could say that and I don't know which shows you're talking about probably counts as a problem, you know?

Like, shouldn't there be some notoriety attached to that?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
...the fact that you could say that and I don't know which shows you're talking about probably counts as a problem, you know?

Like, shouldn't there be some notoriety attached to that?
Relationships with obscene power imbalances are an irritatingly common trope in anime, catering to the fetish of having someone you can fuck but also control. It's not impossible to make work, but you have to get away from the fetish thing. I thought The Ancient Magus Bride was rather good because there was a general focus on the female lead's perspective and the throughline was about her turning from someone dependent into someone independent, and the male lead is properly weird and inhuman and the whole thing runs on English folk story rules, all of which keep it away from "hey this is meant to turn you on" territory.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Odd taxi was great, if anyone like more grounded show with some mystery it seems promising. Liked super cub, but it was a bit strange how quickly she went from depressed moping to happy go lucky just cause she got a moped, it's like she literally had never tried getting a hobby before.
I can see it... perhaps she's had hobbies before and they've been unfulfilling. And certain people do get temporary highs from trying stuff out for the first time and really enjoying it (whether it sticks or not is another matter). But the show handles it fairly well as reality hits when she makes a rookie mistake. Use of the colour palette was good, too.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I started watching Mushoku Tensei. Utter isekai trash with one or two hints of maturity. We have characters actually being sexually active, and two scenes where we see someone masturbating and it isn't necessarily played off for laughs, and even a full blown 'no means no' scene where a father educates his son after an incident that involved a girl protesting to the son's behaviour. Nothing new in the realm of storytelling, but for anime it feels like quite a positive step forward.

This however is gets nulified by it still being the most icky, male focused, fanservice slop, with panty shots, boob grabs, and the ever delightful 'woman getting gropped in her sleep', which all ofcourse gets played for laughs. Because hey, the girl gets to punch the guy afterwards, so we're all even now, right? All in good fun, boys will be boys, right?

Yeah, I dropped it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I started watching Mushoku Tensei. Utter isekai trash with one or two hints of maturity. We have characters actually being sexually active, and two scenes where we see someone masturbating and it isn't necessarily played off for laughs, and even a full blown 'no means no' scene where a father educates his son after an incident that involved a girl protesting to the son's behaviour. Nothing new in the realm of storytelling, but for anime it feels like quite a positive step forward.

This however is gets nulified by it still being the most icky, male focused, fanservice slop, with panty shots, boob grabs, and the ever delightful 'woman getting gropped in her sleep', which all ofcourse gets played for laughs. Because hey, the girl gets to punch the guy afterwards, so we're all even now, right? All in good fun, boys will be boys, right?

Yeah, I dropped it.
I recommend you go for some old school stuff. If you have not watched it, please watch Dirty Pair OVA. You won't regret it. Some good old style 80s anime, action-comedy buddy cop stuff. And then move on to two the movies I mentioned earlier in my post. You can skip Dirty Pair Flash though. I'm not necessary dark and edgy reboot that misses the point.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Yeah, I dropped it.
Last season was really over the top with isekai trash, between this and redo the healer it's like the studio are trying to prove the bad stereotype right.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Last season was really over the top with isekai trash, between this and redo the healer it's like the studio are trying to prove the bad stereotype right.
Are we nearing the end of the Isekai trend? I really haven't seen any that I liked very much. I'd kind of like to see anime move on to whatever the next big thing will be. I'm kind of in the mood for something a: centered on adult characters, not high or middle school teens. And B: something where romance is a tertiary plot at best. Mostly as a contrast, a new acquaintance has me about halfway through Toradora right now. And I'm not hating it, its fine. Even funny at times. But I'm craving some contrast.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I recommend you go for some old school stuff. If you have not watched it, please watch Dirty Pair OVA. You won't regret it. Some good old style 80s anime, action-comedy buddy cop stuff. And then move on to two the movies I mentioned earlier in my post. You can skip Dirty Pair Flash though. I'm not necessary dark and edgy reboot that misses the point.
I actually used to own a bunch of episodes of Dirty Pair Flash on VHS. It was fun enough, but those were my early days when I was still discovering the medium and VHS allowing for very little choice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually used to own a bunch of episodes of Dirty Pair Flash on VHS. It was fun enough, but those were my early days when I was still discovering the medium and VHS allowing for very little choice.
I highly recommend you watch the ova. It is much better and does great action and comedy. Kei and Yuri are a great pair. They are technically the reason characters like Panty and Stocking exist, but they're not that big of a jackass. They have their soft, vulnerable and caring moments. Flash was never good. It's an in name only reboot. The characters are so different, that it might as well be another show. They're drawn completely differently from the original versions as well. They might as well not called it dirty pair and called it something else and gave them different names.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Dirty Pair TV show is pretty great too. 24 episodes, never had a US release but you can get the physical discs from Right Stuf.
Nozomi Entertainment has the first two episodes on youtube

EDIT: Don't mind the age restriction. Despite having some actual nudity, it's less much horny than a good chunk of broadcast anime these days.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched some of the Dota cartoon on Netflix, and it was a whole bunch of 'I don't know what the fuck anybody's talking about'. Also, Jesus Christ I haven't heard voice acting this dry since Final Fantasy 12, apart from Yuri Lowenthal who was allowed to have emotional responses I guess. I got 4 episodes in till I got out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Dirty Pair TV show is pretty great too. 24 episodes, never had a US release but you can get the physical discs from Right Stuf.
Nozomi Entertainment has the first two episodes on youtube

EDIT: Don't mind the age restriction. Despite having some actual nudity, it's less much horny than a good chunk of broadcast anime these days.
Exactly why I like the series. It shows some restraint. So as a series get high in production, the fan service does get more noticeable, but it's not distracting.

I love the opening of the OVA and Project Eden.