The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Is Finally Being Remade for 3DS

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Is Finally Being Remade for 3DS

After what seems like a lifetime of waiting, Nintendo has finally revealed plans to release an updated version of the darker Zelda classic.

During today's Nintendo Direct [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/11-05-2014/], Nintendo dropped one of the biggest bombs it could have for legions of The Legend of Zelda fans across the globe. It's finally been confirmed that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, like the terrifying Moon in the game, is hurtling toward us for a spring 2015 release.

The decidedly dark and moody follow-up to the seminal Nintendo 64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has been a release fans of the franchise have been clamoring for ever since Ocarina of Time dropped for the 3D handheld, and while it's been hinted at here and there, the fans had yet to receive any concrete word from Nintendo that they would see a similar release for the more mature entry in the long-running Legend of Zelda mythos.

Details given out during Nintendo Direct were quite scant save for the announcement itself, but given the track record for the 3DS iteration of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask will most likely see a host of fixes and aesthetic improvements as well as refined controls for the handheld. There was no price given, but it will likely run $40, as is par for the course for most 3DS titles.

All that's left now is the waiting, which Zelda fans have been doing for quite some time now anyway, so a few more months shouldn't be too much of a stretch, right?

Source: Nintendo

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fuck. Yes.

This is awesome news and a long time coming. Majora's Mask is my all-time favorite Zelda game so you can bet your ass I will be picking this up. I kind of figured an announcement like this would happen sometime soon given all of the hints to Majora's Mask that are dropped in Hyrule Warriors.

Consider me well and truly hyped. I'm already sold.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
It's about god damn time.

Honestly surprised they didn't remake it for Wii U. That would have pushed me over the edge and made me buy one. Anyway, I am beyond hyped.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I think most people knew this would happen. My only question is "why did this take so long?"

Majora's Mask uses art assets from Ocarina of Time, and since OoT was a launch title for the 3DS, it should have been very easy for them to update Majora's Mask using those assets. I suppose arguments can be made for timing, but it would have served them much better to have released the title in 2012 or early 2013.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well let's hope I'm not scared shitless of sea monsters anymore. Hopefully I can actually finish it this time.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
And there was much rejoicing

Or...

regardless this is fantastic news. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
I see that the news article forgets to mention the fact that the Europeans are getting A KICKASS COLLECTORS EDITION!

Fucking Ninty and their ways of taking money from me.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Morsomk said:
I see that the news article forgets to mention the fact that the europeans are getting A KICKASS COLLECTORS EDITION!

They better not mess it up and put that god awful USK ratings logo on the actual case. That crap ruined the look of my WWHD and Bayonetta boxes because I got the special editions.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Nintendo: Okay, I'll take your money now.

Me: FINALLY!!!

Also, maybe we'll finally get to see Yahtzee review Majora's Mask, I am genuinely intrigued about what his opinion of it is.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
Damn I just bought Majora's Mask for my Wii U (via the ported original Wii shop)last well, oh well I will probally get this too though for the enevitable improved mechanics and visuals.

Olas said:

Also, maybe we'll finally get to see Yahtzee review Majora's Mask, I am genuinely intrigued about what his opinion of it is.

Yeah it would be interesting to see his opinion on it considering how far it deviates from the usual LoZ plot and tone.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Aww yes. I'm in the middle of the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time at the minute (Spirit Temple part one) and loving the remake of one of the best Zelda games so the news that one of my absolute favourite games in the series is getting a funky remake is awesome to hear! Definitely looking forward to playing this one again. And, that European exclusive special edition looks fantastic, might have to get that version.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Yes, oh fuck yes! What the fuck took you so long nintendo? Well anyway what I wanna say is just
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Olas said:

This is my reaction as well. I've been waiting for a while now for this remake, and have been clamoring for it since the 3DS launch and the launch of Ocarina of Time 3D.

Morsomk said:
I see that the news article forgets to mention the fact that the Europeans are getting A KICKASS COLLECTORS EDITION!

I can't wait for the US special edition that bundles both Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D for the same price as buying both of them. Only they'll give you a 100 ruppee bonus for getting that version... >.>
In all seriousness, I expect Nintendo of America to remain the cheap-ass tight wades they tend to be when it comes to special editions. I would love to own that special edition, and I highly doubt the NTSC region will get it.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Morsomk said:
I see that the news article forgets to mention the fact that the europeans are getting A KICKASS COLLECTORS EDITION!

They better not mess it up and put that god awful USK ratings logo on the actual case. That crap ruined the look of my WWHD and Bayonetta boxes because I got the special editions.
They will. They do it for all European games.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
probable reason NTSC dont get so many special editions?
dollars arent giving as much in exchange as pounds.

true, true, the diference isnt twice as much as it was, (pound to dollar i mean) but lets face it. unfortuately for us brit gamers, our currency is strong.
but hey, you can allways import them. after all, thats what everyone says to us when a game wont even make it to the EU/UK
*glares at usa only copies of harvest moon N64 and wii version harvest moon animal parade that keeps shaking its backside at me thru ebay*

next up....dont forget the goemon games (both N64 versions) and then remake the gamecube ones...like eternal darkenss.....forget 'take my money!' if they remade eternal darkness, they can take my bloody firstborn!
(except i dont have one lol, and unless they want a couple of DnD char sheets, i never will have one lol)