The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
So when this game arrives at my house, I'm gonna have to put Skyrim away for a while. I've been wanting a new home console Zelda for a looong time now.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm beginning to think I should have moved something else, so that I could snag this. But Screed and Saints took the foreground this time, but I will be getting this as soon as I can reasonably afford to.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vault Citizen said:
I'm curious, how do you decide who gets to review what game?

I'm looking forward to this game and I just know I'm going to get the special/collectors/maguffin edition of the game. I have no problem admitting that is entirely because of the incredibly awesome golden wiimote plus (why I'm getting the more expensive copy not why I'm looking forward to the game).
We answer this very question in this week's podcast, which will be posted later on today!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Excited now, I'm always sure of a good game whenever a new Zelda is released, 20 years and counting so far.

Although I am going to miss Midna this time round :(

CronoT

May 15, 2010
In this day and age of gray-brown FPS shooters being the same thing over and over with the multiplayer being the only thing worth the $60, Zelda games are one of the seminal classics that keep video games from becoming the same class as Direct-to-DVD fair crapped out by Disney and other children's marketing tripe.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im always wary of Nintendo game reviews, as most of the time there is nostalgia induced rose tinting. But having enjoyed Zelda when I was younger, Ive grown tired of the same crap that happens in most every game. But from the sound of the review, its definitly getting a shot... now where the hell I put that little bugger Wii...

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I have one word that perfectly describes how I feel about this game: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNT!!!!!

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
You didn't mention the controls...at all?
From what I remember at E3 when it was displayed it was ALL waggle stuff.
Is that still true or did they change the controls to more classic controls?

p.s.
I'm not complaining by any means, Im just curious.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Vault Citizen said:
I'm curious, how do you decide who gets to review what game?

I'm looking forward to this game and I just know I'm going to get the special/collectors/maguffin edition of the game. I have no problem admitting that is entirely because of the incredibly awesome golden wiimote plus (why I'm getting the more expensive copy not why I'm looking forward to the game).
We answer this very question in this week's podcast, which will be posted later on today!
*crosses fingers in hope that it is something awesome, like giant spider or magic wishing dragon*

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
People can say what they want about the Zelda games, but when you say "I was tired of the series, but I still love this game," that perked me right up. Twilight Princess sort of wore me out on the games, and I didn't even buy Spirit Tracks, but I might finally renew my interest in the world of Zelda with this. I'm glad to hear that the sword-swinging mechanic didn't annoy you, that was one of my biggest worries. As for the camera... well, honestly, I don't think any 3D Zelda game has REALLY gotten that right, (Or really almost any free moving camera in a 3D game for that matter) so I guess I'll let it slide once more ;)

Now I just need to set aside some money for it :p

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Great... It's not like Skyrim is already taking all my time, when exam week is just about to start.

Oh well, off to find my Wii.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Is it just me, or some of The Escapist staff just sucks at playing with the Wii, no offense, but you rarely used the lock-on button that's been there since '98 with Ocarina of Time.

But whatever, nitpicking aside, I've seen many reviews of this game and nothing but praise has come out of them. I don't think I'll buy Skyrim anytime soon, but a trip back to Hyrule is just what I may need until I get to slay dragons in the blizzard.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Another core Zelda game I will have to miss out on because it's on the Wii. I refuse to validate the Wii as a console by giving Nintendo money for it. I dislike everything about the system and believe it's successor will be the same horrible piece of hardware that it is. Sorry Hyrule, you'll have to go another six years without my help. Maybe longer if Nintendo fails to pull their head out of their ass.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
daxterx2005 said:
You didn't mention the controls...at all?
From what I remember at E3 when it was displayed it was ALL waggle stuff.
Is that still true or did they change the controls to more classic controls?

p.s.
I'm not complaining by any means, Im just curious.
Did you read the review? I mention the controls quite a bit.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Not sure but is the motion plus needed to play this game, or does it only help?? If it's a must then this game is off my 'need to buy' list

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ELCTea said:
Not sure but is the motion plus needed to play this game, or does it only help?? If it's a must then this game is off my 'need to buy' list
It's required, but if you get the special edition of the game, it comes with a gold, Zelda-logo'ed Wii Remote with built-in Wii Motion Plus. (And a soundtrack.) Makes it worth the slightly higher price, in my opinion.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Too many early reviews seem fanboy material, starry eyed and happily forgetful of the series' decline into stagnation. Be wary of those dismissing the game being all the same once again, with one simple "yeah, but it's great nonetheless".

I mean, the great innovation of SW can't really be putting the colours back in after TP right?