The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Another core Zelda game I will have to miss out on because it's on the Wii. I refuse to validate the Wii as a console by giving Nintendo money for it. I dislike everything about the system and believe it's successor will be the same horrible piece of hardware that it is. Sorry Hyrule, you'll have to go another six years without my help. Maybe longer if Nintendo fails to pull their head out of their ass.
Um... what else did you expect Zelda to come out on? You know if you buy a used console, the money won't support the company in the slightest? Not only would you get to play the game, but you'd also get to play the game and short Nintendo out a hundred dollars (plus). Just saying.
I sorta hoped that they'd have a new console by now that wasn't the Wii and didn't suck. I underestimated the power of shovelware. I won't even buy the thing used, it's not worth my money and buying the games for it would still give Nintendo my money thus validating that I think it's a "good console", which in my opinion it's not. I don't buy used games either, (in case you were going to bring that up to counter my last point) not because of some moral BS but because used games are rarely taken care of by their past owners.

It's a matter of principle. I feel that Nintendo put out a terrible product and as such have chosen to abstain from giving it any positive validation. Buying it used would imply that I do in fact like their product to spend money on it. So long as the Wii and it's motion controller legacy remain contemporary products at Nintendo, my money and praise as a die-hard fanboy will stay here with me.

No, I don't expect to change anything. I'm obviously in the minority with my opinion and it's been made abundantly clear to me over the years that it's an unpopular one. If I have to miss out on a few Zelda and Mario games, or hell if I never get to play another Zelda or Mario game again, I will continue to not give Nintendo a single damned dime of my money or a single ounce of praise. Until they move away from this phase of gimmicky motion controls, crap hardware, and tsunami of shovelware I will remain a fanboy spurned.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
xdiesp said:
Too many early reviews seem fanboy material, starry eyed and happily forgetful of the series' decline into stagnation. Be wary of those dismissing the game being all the same once again, with one simple "yeah, but it's great nonetheless".

I mean, the great innovation of SW can't really be putting the colours back in after TP right?
Can't tell if trolling or just being negative, but I'll respond anyway:

The "big innovation" if you need one is the (actually well done and non-gimmicky) implementation of motion controls. The aesthetics and nostalgia is all nice, but from what people have been saying, this is the best use of motion controls in a game yet, not to mention the story's actually different this time around.

So yeah, you don't have to buy the fanboy hype, but tons of critics all throwing perfect 10s has to mean something. I agree the series disappointed me in the past, and I personally hated TP, but that's no reason to pre-judge this title. I'm still gonna buy it, and I bet if you don't, you'll miss out on a great game.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
It may be good, but I don't think I will be dusting off the Wii any time soon for it.

RandomHer0 said:
See, now I'm conflicted.
I was expecting another WW so I was going to hold off and get Skyrim today. Might have to rethink my options now. My nostalgia wont let me not get it if it holds this claimed superiority to Ocarina.
If it was like Wind Waker, it would be a 100% buy when I have the money.

I played most of the Zelda games(Ocarina just so no body asks), and I find that Wind Waker was the best out of them all. It was expansive and pretty much had the most exploration out of all the Zelda games.

My top five Zelda games are:

1.) Wind Waker(GCN)
2.) Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons(GBC)(Tied because when linked with the end game code, they make up one giant Zelda game)
3.) Link to the Past(SNES)
4.) Twilight Princess(Wii)
5.) Ocarina of Time(N64)

Phantom Hourglass on the DS would beat out Ocarina, if it didn't have the stupid timed repeat temple. There is a fine line between awesome and awful and that temple is what ruins PH, and puts it at the very bottom of my played Zelda game list along side Majora's Mask. If time mechanics like in MM and built in repetitive time sections like in PH are a major part of a game, the game get's an automatic fail in my book. This is why I hated Dead Rising. I like games that let me play at my own pace; I hate getting stressed out because I'm taking too long(according to the game) and it is bleeping at me and then it says I fail. Time trials are fine, but they should only be a side thing for people that want the extra challenge, not forced upon the player.

Back on track, the reason the top three are the way they are, is that I find more toonish games work better with fantasy style of The Legend of Zelda. The more "realistic" ones of their times like TP and OoT, just didn't hold my attention.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Is it just me, or some of The Escapist staff just sucks at playing with the Wii, no offense, but you rarely used the lock-on button that's been there since '98 with Ocarina of Time.
I never got into ocarina way back when, and i think my lack of lock-on use seriously hampered me throughout twilight princess.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Genixma said:
Yea--no. The first console Zelda I'm not going to buy. The Wii's "stick waggling" isn't worth it. I'll stick with Twilight Princess on the Gamecube until they release a Zelda with no stick waggling or motion sensing involved. I don't care if this is the future of gaming I'm sticking to Controller. Not the nun-chuck. And as far away as I'm going to get from it is with wireless controller without the motion sensing.
Well, supposedly with the Motion+ it'll actually feel more like actualy sword fight, like how Wii Sports Resort felt kinda like you'd expect sword fight with a 20cm long stick to feel. Just visualize and it might be better :)

OT: Very much on the fence about this one. I have such a back catalogue of games for the PS3 already and november isn't over yet. Maybe i'll wish for it for Christmas, 'cause it's Zelda and therefore MUST be played. (This rule does not apply to Spirit Tracks on account of that concept being stupid)

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Well what a kick in the nads by nintendo!, well unfortunatly this is off of my gaming list now as i don't see why i should have to shell out extra for the limited edition or a stupid add on specially as money's tight at the moment! Why could they not stick with TP controls.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Everytime I read a Zelda game review, I'm sorely disappointed by how much people love to ignore Nintendo's love for making the same thing over and over again.

Nobody else is allowed to do it, but Nintendo's always given a free pass. :/

Well, if I'm ever given this game for free, I'll be sure to go to see Hyrule again, then solve the puzzles and find the keys in the water, fire, and spirit temple and stab ganon one more time all with a different companion to show Link everyone's glaring weaknesses. again.

I won't forget my bomb bag, boomerang, bow, fire arrows, light arrows, spin attack, master sword, Hylian Shield, slingshot, or rupees this time, either. I'll make sure Zelda knows that I'm gonna need a pay raise this time around.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
Everytime I read a Zelda game review, I'm sorely disappointed by how much people love to ignore Nintendo's love for making the same thing over and over again.

No-one else is allowed to do it then where is all the complaints against madden , fifa , f1 games that come out yearly with hardly any change. There is some yelling against call of duty but not as much as nintendo gets whined upon.

If anything people are more whiny against nintendo releasing a zelda franchise every few years then something like madden getting released every year.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
I want this game so much. It's Wind Waker in the air! Even the more personal connection to the quest harks back to Link searching for his little sister in Wind Waker.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
every time i want to say something normal/serious about the game the only thing that pops into my mind is:

want want want want >.>

Have not been hyped like this in a while, even though i was slightly disappointed in TP (the game got easier the farther you got) it wasn't a bad game. Maybe i should just stop comparing it to what i find is the best zelda (link to the past).

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... Dammit.

God. Fucking. Dammit.

I already have two games that I bought/am buying this month.

Two.

Thankfully, one is only 40$ (Halo: CEA), but still.

God dammit.

Christmas can't come fast enough.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Shia-Neko-Chan said:

Well, if I'm ever given this game for free, I'll be sure to go to see Hyrule again, then solve the puzzles and find the keys in the water, fire, and spirit temple and stab ganon one more time all with a different companion to show Link everyone's glaring weaknesses. again.

I won't forget my bomb bag, boomerang, bow, fire arrows, light arrows, spin attack, master sword, Hylian Shield, slingshot, or rupees this time, either. I'll make sure Zelda knows that I'm gonna need a pay raise this time around.
Saying I was sick of the copy/paste adventuring is giving them a pass? Uh, ok.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
sounds amazing. But is it amazing enough to justify buying a wii?

maybe I'll get to play it if i get a WiiU...

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Shia-Neko-Chan said:

Wait, what? How did I miss that part?

*re-reads*

edit: uuuuuh....

*re-reads again*

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
D Moness said:
Shia-Neko-Chan said:

No-one else is allowed to do it then where is all the complaints against madden , fifa , f1 games that come out yearly with hardly any change. There is some yelling against call of duty but not as much as nintendo gets whined upon.

If anything people are more whiny against nintendo releasing a zelda franchise every few years then something like madden getting released every year.
People complain about those franchises all the time, ESPECIALLY Madden, in this website and every website that even mentions those games.

When it comes to Nintendo games, if a new mario game comes out or a new zelda, the reviewer always says something like "this game is the perfect tribute", "Good for people who think Zelda's all the same and hardcore fans", like they'll mention the fact that it's more of the same, then rationalize it promply and never mention it again. Free pass.

edit: huh, just realized I double posted. D:

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
Susan Arendt said:
Shia-Neko-Chan said:

Wait, what? How did I miss that part?

*re-reads*

edit: uuuuuh....

*re-reads again*
I think that part's only in the video supplement.
Edit: It's at 25 seconds in.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Shia-Neko-Chan said:

I take it you didn't read the review at all.