The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-- Dropping the Bombshell

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS

NOTE: This review is long, and as such I have put its various sections into spoiler tags for your convenience.

I had high hopes for this game. I wanted to like it, honest. It looked like fun: oh, hey! Here's a game where you play as a hero in a generic fantasy world! Sure it's bland, and I'll probably forget it as soon as the credits roll, but at least it'll be entertaining! And hey, look at that! It's a Zelda game! I've never played one, but I hear they're good!

I had high hopes going in to Twilight Princess--I was sure the absurdly positive reaction from both critics and consumers both meant I was justified in them.

I can now say that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess now holds a special place in my heart...

As the worst piece of crap I've ever played.

Fanpersons may want to go elsewhere.

I really don't want to write this review--I know that only ill can come of it. I imagine that the collective wrath of countless Nintentards will descend upon me like the hammer of God; even worse than it did when I bombed Bioshock long ago. But I know that it is my God-given duty as a critic to warn the people; to let them know that whatever they do, they must avoid throwing down sixty dollars for this junk at all costs.

Why do I have such issues with this game? I mean, it has to be good if so many people like it, right?

No. No it does not. The fact of the matter is, critics, like all other men, can be influenced by money and nostalgic value--two things which Nintendo has almost infinite reserves of. And this is to say nothign of their fear of losing readership. The fact of that matter is that you, dear reader, like all other readers, can be influenced by word-of mouth. The fact of the matter is:

The critics lied.

Here, let me present my case so that you do not dismiss me as irrational.

Twilight Princess is positively plagued by multitudes of problems; I can say without even a hint of irony that it makes me long for the clear, nuanced writing of Zero Wing: Megadrive, the varied and challenging gameplay of Desert Bus, the tight, intuitive controls of Lair, the likable and relatable characters of God of War, and the sweet music that is Nails on a chalkboard.
Now, backing each of my points up:

The writing is an out-and-out mess, no bones about it. The story is as stupid and nonsensical as something can be and still be called that.

Let me talk to you about that word there for a moment: when I say 'nonsensical', I don't mean fantastic or unbelievable in the same way that the Nostalgia critic does. I mean, quite literally, that there is no sense to be made out of this abstract mess Nintendo calls writing. It?s not that I can't suspend my disbelief--in fact, I sent my disbelief to the bottom of the ocean in an iron coffin long ago. I--that is to say me, H.T. Black--wrote a book where a ninja chicken and the grim reaper beat up a scuba diver who gets bitten by a werewolf and turns into a sheepdog before they all go out to fight velociraptors.

The difference between the two of us is that when I wrote it, it made sense. Why was the chicken a ninja? He picked it up overseas. Why does he know the grim reaper? Death had the hots for his breeder. Why are they hitting scuba divers? Because the guy went insane and stole an armored diving suit. Why did he turn into a sheepdog? He had a unique genetic mutation. Why are they fighting velociraptors? Rule of cool, baby.

Twilight Princess just throws us plot points that are introduced and quickly forgotten left, right, and center; worse yet, sometimes they come back to haunt you long after they've ceased to be important. Worst of all though is the fact that the ones that actually do matter are never explained. Take for example this one here (VERY MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD):

Early on in the game, the main character is pulled into an alternate dimension...where he turns into a wolf.

...Am I missing something here?

When you look over everything that came before, it still doesn't make sense. Was his mother a nature spirit? Was his father a shaman? Was he born under an enchanted full moon? Did he make a deal with Satan? Did he get nipped by a sheepdog and happen to possess a markedly-less-unique mutation? Nope. That?s not explained.

That's not a good thing.

You can't just write stories like that: having your main character turn into a wolf--and I mean full-on, non-anthropamorphized wolf--is a fairly big deal. I got a spoiler courtesy of a Gamespot FAQ, and get this: it's never explained. Not even the paltriest explanation is dished out. Oh, he's a wolf because the Kool-aid man is red? Okay! I'll buy it! But true to form, it doesn't even give us an explanation as flimsy as that. How would you like it if in, say, Watchmen, Dr. Manhattan went up to sulk on Mars...minus the cancer fiasco and his breakup with Sally Juspeczyk? That wouldn't make sense; you'd just have to take it in stride!

That's not good writing!

But the game's problems with its writing extend beyond just being stupid: some of the devices they use would make Shamus Young have a fucking field day. One that stands out in my memory is near the beginning of the game: get your FAIL stamp ready.

So this guy's sister has been kidnapped by monsters and carted away into the forest, see? The kid's only seven years old, and his sister takes care of him, and they love each other to the stars and back. However, he's way to small and weak to go after that beastie himself, so the main character has to. Armed with only a stick, he makes it to the edge of the forest...
...and then the little prick stops him at the entrance to the next zone and demands that you give him your one and only weapon.

What. The. F**k.

You can't say no. The game gives you the dialogue options to refuse him or obey him, but if you say no he just refuses to let you pass. He's maybe half your size, and you?ve got a big stick; yet you have to surrender it to him to go save his mother figure.

I'll just leave you with that.

________________________________________This is the face of EVIL!

In case that didn't make it clear, the shoddy excuses for 'characters' that dot this game are some of the worst ever dreamed up. In short order:

The kid's a thicky and a brat, and so's his twin; his sister's a condescending cutout of a person; Minda's a bellend; the female shopkeeper is a pedo; the village male figure is blander than the big sister; and the main character himself has absolutely no personality to speak of, which makes him annoying by default. He's a mute first off, with the only snatches of sound he makes being this egregiously overacted 'Hi-ya' noise he makes when he does a jump attack.

Indeed, nobody else talks either: all dialogue in the game is in the form of these hard-to-look-at text boxes that scroll along the bottom of the screen. I'm not criticizing them for being mute; for Hell's sake, my favorite character Of All Time didn't get so much as a text box or involuntary grunt.

The thing is, that character was Gordon Freeman from Half-life; you know, a good game. Gordon was able to rely on the well-acted and not annoying performances of the other characters to carry his own personality; because they were all so good, that just made him projectable by default. But the main character in Twilight Princess has to rely entirely upon the demands of obnoxious simpletons to define him--do the math.

If you want a picture of what this game is like, try to imagine Alyx Vance spouting nothing but idiotic jargon and pointless snatches of kvetching and complaining; only every time she talks, all you get is bubble-text and this infuriating mwomp-mwomp noise. Now add about fifty NPCs, all of whom are Navi from Ocarina of Time. To top it off, take away all of Gordon's guns and give him a stick, make Alyx a two-foot tall imp with a thing for bestiality, and make Gordon a confused and slightly pissed-off Siberian husky.

In regards to that last comment there, there's this really creepy pedophilic and zooiphalic undertone that pervades the game's atmosphere: just take a look at this:

You see that little creep on top of the wolf there? Yeah--she's multiple centuries old and wears no clothes. You see the wolf there? That's our hero--a twelve-year-old boy. This image is really unsettling in itself--what's she doing with her other hand, and why does he look so angry?--but this is hardly the worst of it. In the actual gameplay--and I'm not kidding here--she spanks the guy and gives a whoop of glee whenever he moves fast enough. That's...disturbing.

Well I'm five pages in, and I've only talked about the writing (incidentally, that wolf there is the best character design in the whole thing). Before I move on, I'd like to address all you fanboys out there who are even now thinking "Lol LoZ isn?t about story its about gAemplay".

To quote Shamus Young (God bless him):

When did a good story become optional?

Moving on to the gameplay now:

The game proper is a Role playing game mostly concerned with killing enemies, solving puzzles, and platforming.
Right off the bat, something should become obvious: the platforming aspect is a total wreck. There's no jump button; the only thing you can do is run to the edge of whatever you happen to be standing on and hope the auto-leap doesn't decide you'd be better off going left than forward. While that might not be a problem on say, Gamecube, the Wii nunchuck's analog stick is fiddly and difficult to control--this means that any and all jumping puzzles the game throws at you are express trains to Frustrationville. (Things get even worse when the game expects you to climb something)

In the manner of the combat aspect: you're given a sword and a shield in the game. You attack by waving the Wiimote and block by holding the Z button; while I'm told there's a large amount of attacks you can perform, I wasn't able to discover them all because I resigned in disgust at the five-hour mark. Suffice to say that the targeting system is a right b***h, but the fighting's okay beyond that.

Ooooor is it?

Every so often, the unfortunate reality of the Kool-aid man's pigmentation comes into play and the main character is thrust into his les effective form. The game unwisely attempts to integrate combat aspects into the wolf sections; and by that I mean it succeeded, but the combat is a load of arse and vinegar.

Because all animals speak the same language in that world, your days of murdering monkeys and spiders are over as soon as you get hit with the furry ray; which means the only enemies you fight are the big crimson mucus monsters that pour out of dimensional rifts--always in groups of three, curiously.

When you stumble upon such a trio, there's only one way to beat them--stand very still and hope that they all wander into an aggressively small radius around your character so that you can magically vaporize them. This is quite literally the only way to win such a conflict: if you try to claw them to death one by one, that last one of the group will cast a spell that brings the others back to life while simultaneously stunning and damaging you severely. There isn't a work-around, no off-chance that it won't happen; it's explained in the tutorial messages themselves that you must fight them like that.

So you stand still and hope that their pathfinding AI behaves itself.
That isn't combat; and moreover, it's not challenging, it's not fun, and it's not worth your time or mine.

__________________________________Okay, now wait here while I go get your buddies.

Beyond the combat, there's also a puzzle aspect to the game; unfortunately the puzzles rarely amount to anything more than angrily pacing around the same three rooms for forty-five minutes until you happen upon an out-of-the-way and easily missed door that leads to more of the same. Rinse and repeat two dozen times while occasionally interrupting the cycle to use some magical maguffin on a door of some sort, and you've got the first five hours of this game in a nutshell. I don?t know if it gets better past then, and I frankly don't care.

By the way-- the wolf parts get their own spin on the puzzle segments: which is to say that you can smell trails that lead to where you need to be and dig under loose fences.

Can't you just feel your brain developing?

I never played a Zelda game before Twilight Princess; and thanks to it, I sure as Hell won't now. Ocarina of Time could be better than Portal (with included alien superpowers and treasure vault!) and I still wouldn't touch it. It is because of this game that I can safely say I won't be touching a certain Square-Enix title come March, and because of this game that I likely won't ever buy another Nintendo game as long as I live. This game stole hours of my life and made me into a manic-depressive sociopath! I wish it was gone from existence...

*Cocks an ear for Santa Christ theme song*

...No such luck, then.

Restating my earlier gripes:

Despicable characters, a pointless and disengaging story, broken controls, uninteresting combat, annoying puzzles, bad character design, and an absolutely infuriating score make The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess one of the worst things you can waste money on (just above a thumbscrew and just below a blowjob from a starving coyote).

But in the immortal words of Roger Ebert, a critic's job is not to appraise a product so much as give the reader an impression of whether or not they would like it. As such, I ask you now:

Do you hate yourself? Do you dig imp-on-prepubescent-wolf action? Do you enjoy tedious excuses for puzzles, insufferable writing, and gimmicky broken motion controls? Do the prospects of ugly graphics and nauseating sound excite you? Would you like to spend fifty-plus hours of your life in front of the TV playing a horrible game where the most fun that can be had is naming your character 'I say' so everyone talks like foghorn Leghorn?

If you said yes to any of the above questions, then get yourself committed, you mad bastard.

H.T. Black regrets nothing. And he actually did write that book.

Following the masive backlash that the above tirade got me, one particularly non-obnoxious member of the audience convinced me to have a go at the middle part of the game: unfortunately, I discovered soon afterwards that I contract severe nausea and migraines without fail whenever I play Twilight Princess for more than eight mintues straight.

I can give you my opinion based on the five-odd hours I've been able to squeeze out of it though: most of my earlier complaints remain. The characters are unlikable, the dialogue is poor, the story flits between two-inch plot threads with wild abandon, the controls are clunky, the puzzles are still crappy, and the wolf sections still send out all kinds of unfortunate vibes. However, it should be noted that the autotarget isn't as bad as I remember; and in addition, Midna's nowhere near as much of a tosser as I recalled she was.

But seriously, who gives a damn? We all know what our opinions of this game already are-- so why do any of us care about the other? Look at what happened: this thread devolved into an internet Steven Seagal movie. Every last one of us-- including myself-- should be ashamed of what we've done here. We set aside simple reason and virtue in favor flaming one another for differences of opinion: we forgot that deep down, all of us have at least one popular game that we think is crap. We forgot that when push comes to shove, we're all gamers; and that we shouldn't be going against one another.

Shameful.

...So how about I do God of War next time?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Furburt said:
Why do you keep addressing 'The fanboys'? I mean, I know it's your review, and your opinion, and that's fine. But it seems to me like you're purposefully trying to piss people off.

Anyway, not a bad review by any standards, just a bit too...angry. Needlessly so in fact, it interferes with the general ideas you're trying to get across.

Just needs a bit of a rethink of writing style, and then all will be well.
Aww, shit. And here I was thinking I was being careful.

And like, totally mellow and whatnot. I mean, did you see that Final Fantasy guy over on IGN?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Furburt said:
Yes. I don't even like Final Fantasy, and I still want to kill him.

"Wuuh lets be a cynical bastard on the internet because yahtzee does it durr'

Thankfully, you didn't ape Yahtzee endlessly, as I've seen a couple of the more cynical reviewers here do.
Well, that's good to know. At least I got that part right.

Immortalis_sp

Jan 11, 2010
It's not as bad as the Final Fantasy series, you know for a title that has the word 'Final' in it, it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
You managed to write that much and you didn't even finish it? Rule of reviewing anything, always finish what you're reviewing otherwise it's just a rant.
That said, I feel you do raise a few good points, especially at how nostalgia affects our view on things, Nintendo rely very heavily on this and I do feel that if they released a lot of their games under any other name, they wouldn't be so well received.

Rifty

Nov 9, 2009
Not sure why not having a Jump button is such a bad thing... means you don't get annoying situations where unless the jump is timed perfectly you fall to your death.

Although I like this game I really didn't like the wolf switching crap (One of my friends stopped playing it part way though just because of the wolf sections). Its far from the best Zelda game i've played but it kept me entertained for a reasonable amount of time, can't really ask more than that from a computer game.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Agree with everything said, but two things.

1. why did you censor *****, yet left fuck alone? I always thought fuck was worse.
2. Don't paint all the zelda games with the same brush that made this. This game was far worse then the cel shaded one, no joke. At least that one was understandable...but since it will be more then likely impossible to play at least one of the originals, we're stuck with this, and sprit tracks...

The only good game series ninty has right now is metroid, and they'll find a way to ruin it. I'm sure of it. Anywho, good review, all good points and I agree fully with everything said. More or less.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Immortalis_sp said:
It's not as bad as the Final Fantasy series, you know for a title that has the word 'Final' in it, it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
The original game was meant to be the only game they were ever going to make in that style. Becuase it was so popular, they decided to carry on making the games with the same name.

Also, why all the sudden hate for final fantasy? It's squaresofts biggest money maker, so telling them to stop making final fantasy is like telling bungie to stop making halo...like thats going to happen.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Agree with everything said, but two things.

1. why did you censor *****, yet left fuck alone? I always thought fuck was worse.
2. Don't paint all the zelda games with the same brush that made this. This game was far worse then the cel shaded one, no joke. At least that one was understandable...but since it will be more then likely impossible to play at least one of the originals, we're stuck with this, and sprit tracks...

The only good game series ninty has right now is metroid, and they'll find a way to ruin it. I'm sure of it. Anywho, good review, all good points and I agree fully with everything said. More or less.
1. I'm funny about that word.

2. I like cel-shading. Thanks for the words, though-- I'll give the series another go should I get the chance.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I can understand your points, but I still think it's the best Zelda-game made.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
HT_Black said:
1. I'm funny about that word.

2. I like cel-shading. Thanks for the words, though-- I'll give the series another chance should I get the chance.
1. kk, no complaints, just seemed odd at the time.

2. The cel shaded game was a dramatic departure from the tried and tested Orcaina of time game. It was still better then twlight, being more fun and having a better storyline if you ask me, but at the time it was a surprise after majoras mask and orcania of time.

Just looking at this quote...

You see that little creep on top of the wolf there? Yeah--she's multiple centuries old and wears no clothes. You see the wolf there? That's our hero--a twelve-year-old boy.

It gets a whole lot more creepy in the end cutscene. nuff said.

Jul 9, 2008
Alright, I'm very, very short on time and didn't have time to read the entire thing, but I'll briefly address what I can.

They explain why he turns into a wolf. Because he holds the Triforce of Courage (And Zelda the Triforce of Wisdom, Ganon of Power. It's something from the entire series). I knew that at the time and it was the first Zelda game I'd played. Granted, it's only really brought up one time, but it's still an explanation.

I'll come back here later and read the entire thing to address it all later. I'll try not to be a fanboy about it though.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
orannis62 said:
Alright, I'm very, very short on time and didn't have time to read the entire thing, but I'll briefly address what I can.

They explain why he turns into a wolf. Because he holds the Triforce of Courage (And Zelda the Triforce of Wisdom, Ganon of Power. It's something from the entire series). I knew that at the time and it was the first Zelda game I'd played. Granted, it's only really brought up one time, but it's still an explanation.

I'll come back here later and read the entire thing to address it all later. I'll try not to be a fanboy about it though.
Well thanks...it's not as sensible as the Kool-aid man being red, but thanks all the same.

But wait...since when is 'wolf' synonymous with 'courage'?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Too much 'suck it up nintentards' 'oh i can hear the fanboys crying already' etc. sort of spiel, makes it sound more like you want to get a rise out of people than critique the game. Rest of it is good though, if not a bit under researched at points

Early on in the game, the main character is pulled into an alternate dimension...where he turns into a wolf.

...Am I missing something here?

When you look over everything that came before, it still doesn't make sense. Was his mother a nature spirit? Was his father a shaman? Was he born under an enchanted full moon? Did he make a deal with Satan? Did he get nipped by a sheepdog and happen to possess a markedly-less-unique mutation? Nope. That's not explained.

That's not a good thing.

I recall at some point it's mentioned that humans turn into spirits in the Twilight realm, but the 'Hero' will become a 'blue eyed beast' when in Twilight. The blue eyed beast thing is mentioned a lot (in fact I think the text is highlighted every time it's said to emphasise it's an important point) and it's kinda a key point to the story, why Link has to do it, why Twilight is a bad thing (people turning to spirits = bad), why Midna helps him out, etc.

If you think that's crappy story-telling, then fair enough. But it does get explained pretty clearly and at least twice, the only way you'd miss it is if you skip the chatter.

Also, how come you never mentioned pretty much anything about after you get to the sword swinging bits? It genuinely sounds like you got to the wolf bit, got annoyed at the combat and getting lost then stopped playing or something.

Entertaining read as a rant, but can't say it makes for a very informative review...

[edit: Holy hell I just realised you slammed the music too. You are literally the first person I have EVER heard of who didn't like the Twilight Princess sound track. o_O ]

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
O-Kay

first off, those uhh, impure thoughts are obviously because of your corrupted point of view. pedophilia and beastiality? really? such a thing never cross MY mind. I think this speaks a chapter of your personality if this is your first thought on the situation when it occured. nah, I'm kidding. but really, I'm going to assume you watch South Park of some other show of the sort, if you do then I don't think LoZ has much to complain about on it's decisions for characters

he turns into a Wolf because it some thing in the dark world that changes people into a form that represents thier peronality as a curse/trap to stop people from, y'know, taking thier stuff, such as the TriForce. it was explained in some of the earlier games but I'll take your word that they didn't explain it. I suppose it's for the fanboys yeah?

you can move when you make the wolf use that big circle thingy to finish those dudes off

auto-jump = look at the destination + hold Up. you haven't played many 3D platformers have you?

I love the items you find and how you use them to solve the dungeon and beat the boss but you seem like the impatient type who wants to fight the Boss, it's about the destination and the journey/buildup is just a waste of time huh?

Legend of Zelda takes from games that made enemies weak against different equipment using more creativity than your Damage/Rate of Fire/Reload Time. myself (and many others) find the combat rewarding when you can actually play better than before by using your head instead of just unlocking a more powerful combo or leveling up