The Making of the Mystery Mortal Kombat Mini-Movie

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
It's sort of similar with what they did with Batmans' villians, stripping away the corny, contrived origins and re-imagining them in a more realistic, gritty fashion. Heath Ledgers Joker was one of the best examples of how to do this without upsetting the fanboys, and they even changed the fact that he didn't kill Bruces' parents! So it can be done, and this guy has shown he can do it for MK.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Poor Cage. Even in an 8-minute proof of concept short film, he STILL gets killed. I swear, if they made a Mortal Kombat children's program, he'd STILL die there. On every episode.

That said, just showed the main version of the vid- and not counting reuploads folks did to other accounts in this -and it was at 2.3 million views. This came out three days ago. If I'm a studio exec and I saw those numbers, you better be DAMN sure I'm now giving this guy SERIOUS thought.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Scorpion in the lead, Johnny Cage dead.. this is awesome!! I'll take six of it right now!

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I thought the name sounded familiar. Then it hit me last night, he's the brother of Maurissa Tancharoen, one of the Dr. Horrible creators.

I guess creativity and talent run in the family.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
As a film maker I loved this short film and was extremely impressed as an MK fan as well. I really hope this will be greenlit because it has the potential to be a classic action film.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
I want him to be able to make this into a movie so so sooo bad. Then find someone to do a good street fighter movie. Maybe that guy who did Street Fighter: Legacy.

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
poiuppx said:
Poor Cage. Even in an 8-minute proof of concept short film, he STILL gets killed. I swear, if they made a Mortal Kombat children's program, he'd STILL die there. On every episode.
oh my god, you killed Cage! YOU BASTARDS!. lol

seriously though I don't like video game movies in general or Mortal Combat in particular, and I still want this movie to exist!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wuvlycuddles said:
Anyone else think that this is how ALL (if not, most) films should be pitched to major studios?
It's actually not that uncommon. In the industry, this sort of thing is called a "Proof of Concept" - a film clip, demo reel, series of paintings, etc. used to help "visualize" a pitch. Most of the time, they're employed by independent filmmakers trying to raise money for their own features, but here and there you'll find guys with the access and the ambition to try and use it to pitch a major studio. This is the "secret origin" of A LOT of the YouTube clips of cars turning into Autobots, or superhero "fan trailers." The guy who made "Shoot Em Up," for example, got that bought with a "pitch" of animated storyboards outlining the action scenes (now there's a cautionary tale if I ever heard one.)

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
MovieBob said:
It's actually not that uncommon. In the industry, this sort of thing is called a "Proof of Concept" - a film clip, demo reel, series of paintings, etc. used to help "visualize" a pitch. Most of the time, they're employed by independent filmmakers trying to raise money for their own features, but here and there you'll find guys with the access and the ambition to try and use it to pitch a major studio. This is the "secret origin" of A LOT of the YouTube clips of cars turning into Autobots, or superhero "fan trailers." The guy who made "Shoot Em Up," for example, got that bought with a "pitch" of animated storyboards outlining the action scenes (now there's a cautionary tale if I ever heard one.)
Wow, ya learn something new every day!
Thankyou MovieBob!

But i was thinking more of the public angle, no "secret origin", everyone watching knows its a movie pitch and their feedback will ultimately influence the guys who decide the fate of the film and this would be on a global scale too. Surely this is something the studios would be interested in, unless these guys are so arrogant they think they know everything the public want to see.

I think i know the answer to that.

But of course, i have no idea how the whole movie thing goes from concept to cinema so this is all out-of-my-ass theory.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
Still... I find myself thinking the same thing I do in reaction a lot of these fan-films or "proof of concept" re-imaginings: His revamped versions of the characters have next to nothing to do with who they're "supposed" to be visually or otherwise... and if he can pull something that (technically) impressive-looking off independently I honestly wish he'd forget about beggin a studio rights-holder for a franchise gig, call his newly-invented characters something else and just make his OWN thing. I mean, that's more-or-less how "Watchmen" happened...
I understand what your saying but that doing his own thing is different problem, same ending. If he does his own thing we'll get low budget, not widely seen, and critics will look at it at it and say "While it looks pretty, the writing is shabby and it seems like just a mortal kombat knock-off."

If he Does get the franchise rights and the studio onboard then we get bigger budget, more distribution and better effects. However critics will look at it and say "While it looks pretty you can tell from the writing it was made from a video game. None of the characters look right and so instead of a mortal kombat remake, it's more of a mortal kombat knockoff."

In the end we'll get either Prince of Persia or Ninja Assassin.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Gaderael said:
Kross said:
3nimac said:
STOP saying it's awesome in every single article... Can't we have opinions of our own and some unbiased journalism?
You'll think what we tell you to think.

AC10 said:
I demand to know why he killed Johnny Cage.
That part made me happy, I always thought Cage was a bit of a jerk. Not that the others are much better (except maybe Jax/Sonja/Raiden), but he just seemed like a smarmy bastard.
Johnny's been killed off and restored several times in the series canon. Tancharoen did say they he would include the spiritualism and the supernatural in the full movie if here were to make it, so you cannot rule out Cage being revived by Raiden.
see i thought the same thing and i really hope if they stick to the stuff that happened and add spiritualism they bring him back he was an entertaining character. I hope it gets made and the idea of adding the spiritualism after sounds awesome.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
AC10 said:
I demand to know why he killed Johnny Cage.
To show how psychotic Baraka is... Who knows, Johnny may even show in the movie if it ever sees the light of day.

Horben

Nov 29, 2009
Part of why this was so awesome was that it drained out the magic and filled back up with people who couldn't handle the pain of their lives and went psychotic.

Make Raidan a warrior monk; that would kind of work. He could be a Shaolin master or something. But don't give him actual magic powers. Bring in magic that doesn't exist, into a world that's so close to the real one, and you'll only break the atmosphere.

Spybait

Apr 22, 2010
poiuppx said:
They did make a Mortal Kombat kid's show. Johnny Cage just failed to appear at all.
Wiki link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat%3A_The_Animated_Series

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
imgunagitusucka said:
It's sort of similar with what they did with Batmans' villians, stripping away the corny, contrived origins and re-imagining them in a more realistic, gritty fashion. Heath Ledgers Joker was one of the best examples of how to do this without upsetting the fanboys, and they even changed the fact that he didn't kill Bruces' parents! So it can be done, and this guy has shown he can do it for MK.
I'm, like, 99% certain that the Joker was "created" as a result of a crime going on that Batman interrupted. Guy gets knocked into chemicals. Goes crazy. Blah de blah blah. Doesn't matter, it just bugged me.

On track here, this guy. This guy has what it takes to make something solid. Whomsoever is in charge in magic movie land should, and probably will, take notice.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Spybait said:
poiuppx said:
They did make a Mortal Kombat kid's show. Johnny Cage just failed to appear at all.
Wiki link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat%3A_The_Animated_Series
Firstly, the answer is clear here; he died by being crushed by the opening titles. Hence why he never showed.

Secondly... wow. I, uh... I went and looked at some YouTube vids of this after reading your post and... all I can say is I'm glad I somehow missed this.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Has anyone brought up the interesting contrast between this and Street Fighter Legacy? Both are independent shorts crafted from video games. One makes a point to be as close to accuracy they can afford without abandoning reality (CGI aside, everything is actually real choreagraphed moves by the actors). The other mostly just refers to the source material and doesn't draw any more from it than it has to. Yet both are well done and quite awesome.

Get Moviebob in on this, I'm sure he could talk about this all day. Especially with how he went on after Prince of Persia not carrying as a "video game movie".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Mackheath said:
Cowabungaa said:
I knew there was a fan behind that mini-movie, there had to be. If only more big fans were behind previous game-to-movie adaptations, then perhaps they wouldn've sucked so much.
Yeah. But Uwe Boll somehow was always first in the queue...
Therumancer said:
What's more, I would also think they might want to consider going back to the basics on some levels. What made Mortal Kombat stand out originally was that it used real people who had been digitized for the game. I think once they started going with 'toons/graphics it lost a good portion of what set it apart, and without that gimmick it lead to more criticism of the gameplay itself..
Really? I thought it was the first open instance of violence that stood out; there were violent games from the 8/16 bit era as well yes, but MK was graphic, new, and quite hilariously inventive. Instead of the 8/16 bit-pardon the pun- butchery of slasher films.

I never liked the first two films because practically everything about them-from acting to CG- was so badly done I continually meet my palm with my face whenever I think on how I used to like it. The short gave a sort of Chris Nolan-esque feel which-to me- the series badly needs.

Needs to get away from the bad spandex and cheesy dialogue even more though.

Well, I think the first "Mortal Kombat" movie was the first decent video game movie. It was not high art, but it WAS entertaining, and captured the essence of the games fairly well. At that time CG and such was brand new, so of course it was cheezy when looked back at in retrospect.

Truthfully, I don't think ultra-violence in gaming was anything new at the time, but it had been a while. The blood and "fatalities" were noteworthy because they were in the arcade, but at the time I seem to remember systems like "The Amiga" had plenty of games that splashed blood and dismembered limbs all over the place. I seem to remember there were a lot of game nerds argueing "huh, why are people are upset... what about this that went further, and has been out longer?" at the same time.

I believe it was the technology of Mortal Kombat along with the fact that digitized actors were hot at the time, this being the beginning of CD rom and the first interactive movies, and RPGs like "Prophecy Of The Shadow" using cheezy SCA-looking actors for NPC dialogue scenes.

I guess opinions are going to vary, it has been a long time.

Truthfully though I think the appeal of Mortal Kombat *IS* the cheez, doing it seriously would mean that it wouldn't be Mortal Kombat anymore.

-

As far as Uwe Boll goes, I used to hate him, but in recent years I've obtained a sort of cultish appreciation for his work.

The reason is simply that I realized while awful, his movies are fun. I've watched "House Of The Dead" several times, and honestly things from that movie like having a kung-fu asian babe in an American Flag bodysuit named "Liberty" stick out in my mind. The bad FX, video game clips, dialogue, and other things. What's more everyone doing these movies seem to be having fun... and let's not forget that Uwe Boll manages to get some pretty big name people like Jason Statham, Kristina Loken (who was a bigger name then), John Rhys Davies, and others to do his movies.... and he STILL manages to land them despite everything, leading me to believe that people like working with him.

Now granted, I'd prefer to see some GOOD material done based on my favorite games, but failing that a "C grade" Uwe Boll movie can be a worthy homage... but then again I've always enjoyed bad movies, and have probably seen more stuff by "Troma" than I'd like to admit to.