The Mandalorian Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
While it was obvious from the moment they closed the blast doors that a jedi would turn up to save them, I expected them to use one they could actually use in this, or a spin of series.

It's a nice nod to show luke being mr cool, but I feel like they fell into the age old starwars trap: Everything has to directly connect to a Skywalker.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I really enjoyed that episode. The action was on point, the music, and we finally get Baby Yoda again.

And they did succeed in blowing my mind for a few minutes. Still wish they got Sebastian Stan though.

EDIT: Okay, as much as I really enjoyed this finale and this whole season in general, I have to say I think Season 1 was better. They both had filler, but in S1 filler was just a single dad and his son exploring the asscracks of the galaxy. Season 2's filler was mostly setting up other Star Wars properties.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well the list so far sits at:

Luke
Obi-Wan
Yoda
Leia
Ahsoka

Kanan dies in Rebels, and Ezra goes what we in Babylon 5 fandom would call ‘beyond the rim’. So that’s five in total in a galaxy of trillions. Hell even if there was a hundred you’d be dealing with such an small number compared to the normies it ceases to be relevant.
According to Wookepedia the list of who survived Order 66 is pretty long:
  • Master Kirak Infil'a
  • Master Coleman Kcaj
  • Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Taron Malicos
  • Master Jocasta Nu
  • Master Oppo Rancisis
  • Master Luminara Unduli
  • Master Uvell
  • Master Quinlan Vos
  • Master Yoda
  • Knight Cere Junda
  • Padawan Ferren Barr
  • Padawan Caleb Dume
  • Padawan Cal Kestis
  • Padawan Trilla Suduri
  • Unidentified Rodian Jedi youngling
  • Former Master Eeth Koth
  • Former Padawan Naq Med
  • Former Padawan Ahsoka Tano
  • Zubain Ankonori
  • Selrahc Eluos
  • Fifth Brother
  • Grogu
  • Khandra
  • Ka-Moon Kholi
  • Mususiel
  • Masana Tide
  • Nuhj
  • Seventh Sister
  • Kira Vantala
A quick lookie loo says about 1/4 of them are either hunted down by Vader later, or turned to the Dark Side, but a good number of them are just kinda out there and can jump in at any time.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
While it was obvious from the moment they closed the blast doors that a jedi would turn up to save them, I expected them to use one they could actually use in this, or a spin of series.

It's a nice nod to show luke being mr cool, but I feel like they fell into the age old starwars trap: Everything has to directly connect to a Skywalker.
Well that and the problem is the Sequels totally ruined this story. We know how it ends: Ben Solo either kills Baby Yoda, or BY becomes a Sith and Knight of Ren, and is then later killed. The sequels really killed the golden goose here by blatantly showing Luke is a huge fuck up, Palpatine is still alive the entire time, and all the Jedi save Rey(if she even counts) are dead, including Ahsoka. So how do they move forward with this story? It's like having an entire TV show set on the Titanic, and trying to build suspense as to what happens. We know; the boat sinks.
I wonder if the TV shows are being used as a soft retcon of the Sequels, or if the Sequels are gonna be declared an alternate timeline?
Edit: Am dumb. Sequels, not Prequels.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well that and the problem is the Prequels totally ruined this story. We know how it ends: Ben Solo either kills Baby Yoda, or BY becomes a Sith and Knight of Ren, and is then later killed. The prequels really killed the golden goose here by blatantly showing Luke is a huge fuck up, Palpatine is still alive the entire time, and all the Jedi save Rey(if she even counts) are dead, including Ahsoka. So how do they move forward with this story? It's like having an entire TV show set on the Titanic, and trying to build suspense as to what happens. We know; the boat sinks.
I wonder if the TV shows are being used as a soft retcon of the Prequels, or if they Prequels are gonna be declared an alternate timeline?
I'm going to assume you meant Sequels...
But yeah, seeing how much of a badass Luke is here makes the Sequels hurt even more. But something's gotta happen to make Baby Yoda join Mando again, because there is no way in HELL that Disney will make that adorable little moneymaker train as a Jedi offscreen for longer than a few episodes. Or maybe one season.

As for Ahsoka... Yeah, they really did screw the pooch with that one didn't they. I don't think Ezra was in TRoS, so they've really written themselves into a hole with one of their best characters. Also one of their only characters left that the fans don't despise.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'm going to assume you meant Sequels...
But yeah, seeing how much of a badass Luke is here makes the Sequels hurt even more. But something's gotta happen to make Baby Yoda join Mando again, because there is no way in HELL that Disney will make that adorable little moneymaker train as a Jedi offscreen for longer than a few episodes. Or maybe one season.

As for Ahsoka... Yeah, they really did screw the pooch with that one didn't they. I don't think Ezra was in TRoS, so they've really written themselves into a hole with one of their best characters. Also one of their only characters left that the fans don't despise.
Not just a character that fans don't despise, but probably the most popular character currently in Star Wars canon. I know they're doing an Ahsoka tv show, but they could do an entire trilogy of movies based on her and the fans would spend billions on tickets and merch. She and Baby Yoda are the real heart and soul of Star Wars right now, and they've written themselves into a corner with both of them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well that and the problem is the Sequels totally ruined this story. We know how it ends: Ben Solo either kills Baby Yoda, or BY becomes a Sith and Knight of Ren, and is then later killed. The sequels really killed the golden goose here by blatantly showing Luke is a huge fuck up, Palpatine is still alive the entire time, and all the Jedi save Rey(if she even counts) are dead, including Ahsoka. So how do they move forward with this story? It's like having an entire TV show set on the Titanic, and trying to build suspense as to what happens. We know; the boat sinks.
I wonder if the TV shows are being used as a soft retcon of the Sequels, or if the Sequels are gonna be declared an alternate timeline?
Edit: Am dumb. Sequels, not Prequels.
If they use these shows to try and de-canon the sequel trilogy then I’m officially pulling out of the whole affair.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If they use these shows to try and de-canon the sequel trilogy then I’m officially pulling out of the whole affair.
But its the only way to actually tell a story. The Sequels kinda destroyed star wars as a setting by showing all the heroes are actually idiot fuck ups, the bad guys are basically immortal, and the jedi are doomed. The Mandalorian is a lot of effort and money to basically tell a non-story that we know ends badly before the first opening credits.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
But its the only way to actually tell a story. The Sequels kinda destroyed star wars as a setting by showing all the heroes are actually idiot fuck ups, the bad guys are basically immortal, and the jedi are doomed. The Mandalorian is a lot of effort and money to basically tell a non-story that we know ends badly before the first opening credits.
The Clone Wars was a lot of effort to tell a non-story too. Didn't make it any less entertaining. But okay, whatever. I knew as soon as he showed up this would happen.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The Clone Wars was a lot of effort to tell a non-story too. Didn't make it any less entertaining. But okay, whatever. I knew as soon as he showed up this would happen.
This is a fair point. Lots of people believed that the Prequels were irredeemable. I'd say Disney has their work cut out for them getting the Star Wars universe back on track, but its definitely possible. They'd need to start with making the Sequels look a lot less important in the galaxy's history.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
This is a fair point. Lots of people believed that the Prequels were irredeemable. I'd say Disney has their work cut out for them getting the Star Wars universe back on track, but its definitely possible. They'd need to start with making the Sequels look a lot less important in the galaxy's history.
The Clone Wars introduced Ahsoka. It was her story we were following, not Anakin's. We didn't know if she would survive the Clone Wars, and if she did, did she survive Order 66, and if she did, did Vader ever hunt her down, etc... We didn't know if she survived until Rebels, and even then there were plenty of scenes were she fought Inquisitors and Vader where she could have been killed off. We didn't even know if she survived until the end of the Empire until the literal last scene of Rebels.

If they had started with Rebels and introduced just some random never heard of before Jedi named Ahsoka who somehow survived Order 66, Vader and the Empire, and then did Clone Wars and introduced a padawan Ahsoka there would have been a lot less investment into her character arc because we had already been shown the conclusion.

Rise of the Skywalker is the metaphorical starting with Rebels. They've already spoiled any possible story they can tell. We know what happens to Baby Yoda.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yes.
He dies. The Sequel trilogy specifically states that Ben Solo kills all of the padawans at Luke's new school(with the exception of the Knights of Ren, who don't have a Yoda in their ranks and then are later killed), but even assuming Baby Yoda isn't at the school at the time, Kylo Ren then goes on to hunt down and kill other force users until only Rey is left. That's why she's the Last Jedi. Even the force ghosts in Rise of the Skywalker confirm she's the last Jedi, padawan, knight or master. And Grogu was already a Jedi in training at the Temple before Order 66.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There is no reason for me to watch any Star Wars media because they're allergic to making it anything other than boring tacked on additions to the original trilogy. Trying to tie everything together doesn't benefit the original films, nor the EU works which have to be strapped to the OT out of fear that they might become interesting or fun.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes.
He dies. The Sequel trilogy specifically states that Ben Solo kills all of the padawans at Luke's new school(with the exception of the Knights of Ren, who don't have a Yoda in their ranks and then are later killed), but even assuming Baby Yoda isn't at the school at the time, Kylo Ren then goes on to hunt down and kill other force users until only Rey is left. That's why she's the Last Jedi. Even the force ghosts in Rise of the Skywalker confirm she's the last Jedi, padawan, knight or master. And Grogu was already a Jedi in training at the Temple before Order 66.
Or Grogu trains sufficiently over twenty or so years with Luke and returns to Din, because being a Jedi is a lifestyle. To be Force sensitive is just that. And frankly Grogu is better off with Mando.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Or Grogu trains sufficiently over twenty or so years with Luke and returns to Din, because being a Jedi is a lifestyle. To be Force sensitive is just that. And frankly Grogu is better off with Mando.
But he's already 50 when the show starts. Another 20 years he's still a Baby Yoda. He's not going to just turn into a full mature Knight. And even then Luke confirms all the padawans he trained are dead, with the exception of Ben, and the Force Ghosts, including Ahsoka confirm Rey is the last Jedi, and even Palpatine says she's the last of Jedi. Grogu is already dead by the time the Force Awakens starts if Mandalorian is in the same timeline as the Sequel movies.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
But he's already 50 when the show starts. Another 20 years he's still a Baby Yoda. He's not going to just turn into a full mature Knight. And even then Luke confirms all the padawans he trained are dead, with the exception of Ben, and the Force Ghosts, including Ahsoka confirm Rey is the last Jedi, and even Palpatine says she's the last of Jedi. Grogu is already dead by the time the Force Awakens starts if Mandalorian is in the same timeline as the Sequel movies.
Okay, so then its a tragedy. That's fine by me.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay, so then its a tragedy. That's fine by me.
I mean sure, its all well and good you're okay with it, but I think a lot of fans are going to be very unsatisfied that a beloved character they've spent 2+ seasons getting invested in is killed off screen by a movie that wasn't well received by those self-same fans.

And I think given the news that Kiera Knightly has been cast as Rey in the Rey Disney+ show I think there will be at the very least some soft retcons, if not a full Sequels are now non-canon.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wow. What a bunch of fucking cowards.
I'm not sure cowards is the right word. Its certainly sloppy, and we can debate endless back and forth which side of a reboot we're on, but I will agree its awkward to do. I wonder if its mostly a business choice. They want to do more stories, and the way the Sequels began and ended boxed them into a corner. First off it was a mistake to declare the entire EU non-canon, but also the sequels don't allow for a lot of stories. Mara Jade. How could she possibly fit into the Sequel timeline as Luke's love? And there are a bunch more characters and stories they may want to tell but can't, and just decided "fuck it, not like Daisy Ridley is coming back as Rey, so just pull it off like a bandaid and start working on new shows."
Awkward and sloppy, but I'm not convinced its cowardly.