The many breeds of hater, which one are you?

Feb 7, 2009
I don't consider myself a hater. I just know what appeals to me. I like a good rich story in a game, but if a game lacks that, I look for the aesthetic and gameplay to wow me. I find plenty of flaws in titles I both enjoy and don't. I believe that part of being a good fan is admitting that what you like is not perfect. It is an outlook that really prevents me from getting offended by a lot of trolls, and it helps me look at things objectively and helps me appreciate my favorite things that much more.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I'd say I'm one the golden age hater, but that because when i started gaming it was SP focused now its largely MP focused which i hate.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Following the Internet's Law of Pigeon-holing, I'm a combination of many of those.
But I most closely fit into the snob category.

I'll give a game (objective) credit where credit is due, regardless of its age, or how much I like/dislike/hate it. But don't expect me to irrationally love/hate something just because it's popular/obscure.

When I say I hate something, I have my reasons; reasons that go beyond an irrational pining for the past, or an urge to "fit in" amongst a group of anonymous nobodies.
If a game is mechanically bad/broken, or its (multiplayer) playerbase abjectly goes out of its way to make the game irritating and obnoxious, I see no reason to hold back.

I hate it when retreads and clones make tons of money because it means I'm less likely to see new or interesting concepts in gaming, leading to a marked decline in variety (this has shown to be in my experience).
I hate it when people overhype such games in advance because it propagates this cycle even further.
I hate it when people blindly throw away their rights because they can't stand the sacrifice of not being "in" or on the "cutting edge" of gaming trends. (buying new games with increasingly outrageous legal restrictions/costs, just to stay trendy/popular)

I hate all of that because it impacts the games I want to play in a purely-negative way.

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
Mix of Golden Age and Biased I suppose. I'm not a total fit for either as I enjoy new games and usually am able to admit that it's "just my opinion". But at the end of the day I do tend to trend toward games with older stylings and then push those games as far superior when asked what I would suggest.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
3 and 4.

3 because I've gotten tired of MW3 being the ONLY game people in my school will disucss (that being the chief reason for my MW3 hate), and 4 because it can be so damn funny (not that I troll often, however).

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
Hater or haters. Hateception.
I find people who take games too seriously a little foolish at times. Games are to be enjoyed. If it is enjoyed, it is a game. If someone loved desert bus they would be fairly odd, but not incorrect in enjoying it. Desert Bus would be as valid a game as Skyrim, Half Life 2, Portal, Bioshock, Team Fortress 2 (I'm starting to sound like a Valve sales rep...)

I don't like 'extremist' fanboys, who refuse to accept the value of certain series or consoles. I love my PS3, Uncharted 2 (and if I'm lucky come this Christmas Uncharted 3) is one of my favourite games. I also love my laptop, Half Life 2, and (at least the first two) Hitman games are some more of my favourites. Both are just as valid, analog sticks are more cumbersome then a keyboard, true, but games are kind of scaled based on that.

Yes there are a lot of military shooters, no they are not ruining gaming. At all. Ever. There was a shitload of Mario copies when it was popular, as there was with DOOM. Why would Call of Duty or Modern Warfare be any different?

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
As much as I hate Steam due to some serious issues I have with the (denial of) service and the way PC games are trying to force it down my throat (GODDAMMIT, I WANT TO PLAY SKYRIM AND STEAM BROKE IT!), I couldn't honestly consider myself a "Troll-type Hater"

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
I hate games that I hate. I don't hate CoD because it's popular. By that logic, I should hate Skyrim, Fallout, and the first Halo... but I don't. I hate CoD because I think the shooting and gameplay are bland. I don't like modern realistic games. I play games for the fantasy/escapism/story, not to see a simulation of real life.

But to answer your question, #5. I'm definitely a snob with videogames and many, many things, to the point that a lot of my friends call me a hipster constantly. Games (I only play games I find completely engaging, which are few and far between), music (most of my taste happens to be obscure), movies (same as with music, and I dislike 90% of Hollywood AAA movies), even beer (I only like stouts and a few porters, refuse to drink Pabst, Bud or anything light-coloured as I've never had lighter-coloured beer that wasn't piss).

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Cynical snob for sure; I'm honestly kind of ashamed at how inclined I am to wanting to share the snobbiest opinions. I don't begrudge or look down on anyone for liking less elitist things (within reason; there are some things that just reflect negatively on your intelligence---but you have to get REALLY far down the commode before that applies), but I personally want to be clever and have impeccable taste.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
I'm closer to 3. I can't deny I get sick of hearing about popular things when I don't want to and it affects how much I wanna play a game as a result. Case in point: Skyrim. Even the sight of the name "Skyrim" at this point is enough. I don't have to click the thread or find a meme. If I see "Skyrim" anywhere on the news article/thread/message, I'll have a surge of STFU ALREADY in me. I don't hate the game, but I AM having a hard time loving it at the moment. It's okay, though? I mean, it's a thing and you push buttons and things happen on the screen.

Not hugely proud of it, but there it is.

And I think everyone is closer to being a Level 6 Hater than they'd like to admit. Everyone, absolutely everyone, has a price. When it comes to Skyrim I'm a Level 3 Hater but if it's Zelda, I'm a drooling fantard who finds no substantial fault, and thus was never sick of the Twilight Princess hype.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I get annoyed when someone can't see that something is good or bad.

Like the other day there was a guy that was arguing that DA2 environments were better than DA:O...

Just because you, personally, prefer the pony on the man's back does not make it a better drawn pony than the one in the picture he is holding.

Subjectively, I like Zelda's graphics over COD but I would never say that Zelda has better graphics than COD because that would be objectively wrong.