The misinterpretation of evolution

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
weker said:
kouriichi said:
xD thats the thing.
Ive looked.
I use the term "Creationist" because its the closest term to what i believe.
As someone pointed out, i could be "Deist", but that would require that i believe the person who created the universe had NO HAND what so ever in the creation of human kind.

Where as i believe that the supernatural being helped create life, protect and effect the outcome of what that life would be.
I would recommend not referring to yourself as such or these heated debates will arrive XD
Everyone has a title xD
You have to use one for what you believe.

And Creationist is the closest one i can find. Besides, heated debates tend to be the best. Its how you know both sides have valid points.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Deshara said:
Delsana said:
Deshara said:
Delsana said:
The chances of our planet being in perfect distance of the sun to have constant liquid water on the surface, have life develop on it from thoughtless chains of atoms, to develop the perfect oxygen atmosphere and then on top of that, for us to NOT be destroyed by one of the countless (literally countless) meteors hurling through space is beyond the realm of "just happening".
If Earth supporting life is proof of some apparently knowledgable force existing and in some way guiding us, then is every other planet that isn't life-sustainable proof that god doesn't exist?
In the bible it says (and I didn't write that statement so either you extrapolated or someone else did) that the universe is a reflection of his beauty and glory.

Essentially an artist doesn't just paint one thing, but not everything in the picture has to be the top focus.
hush you, we're not talking about christianity. Getting into interpretting the bible is an entirely different ball-park, and I don't feel like going and finding the child-stoning instructions.
Lets also not get into how masturbation is evil, but screwing with your daughter is a-ok. Seriously though, this shouldn't have any religious talk as it is about science.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Wait... Isn't evolution when Alex Mercer grows alien armour or a new limb or something?

But seriously, besides the fact that you haven't actually said what the misinterpretation IS, and besides the fact that I don't live in the US, I still have to disagree.
More people believe in evolution than creation - many more - and this belief is usually based on personal preference or religion rather than scientific knowledge.

Also, you came off as reasonably neutral until the whole "corrupting our science classes and media" bit. At that point you corrupted your post with bias, much like I'm doing now. And it's hard to have a civilised discussion when the discussers are openly predispositioned towards either side. Everyone has their own opinion, but try to obscure it unless the discussion calls for it; this one doesn't.

Back on topic, however, the question isn't really Evolution vs. Creationism - that's a bit like having a debate over the state of light: Particle vs. Wave. Except instead of proving both, you can't prove either one.

So yeah, people misinterpret evolution. People misinterpret everything. Even with a Babel fish in their ear.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
cdstephens said:
Flac00 said:
Levski7 said:
Flac00 said:
kouriichi said:
cdstephens said:
kouriichi said:
Delsana said:
kouriichi said:
Let me wrap this whole thing up in burritos. (thats right, im gunna wrap it like a burrito, with burritos.)

Sheep are Stupid.
Sheep are part of a flock. ((Unless theyre black sheep. Then its a Murder of Sheep))
The sheep will listen to whatever the dogs bark loudest. This is learned from an early age, because of the sheep doesnt listen, they get bit.
The dogs like to keep order, and control the flock ((or murder)) of sheep. So they bark loudly.

Now if you didnt get that analogy, let me explain it.

People are stupid.
People are part of religions. ((Unless theyre black sheep. Then its Atheism))
The people will listen to whatever their leaders/parents/priests ideas are. This is learned from an early age, because of the person doesnt listen, they get punished.
The leaders/parents/priests like to keep order, and control the people. So they force their ideas.

Roughly 50% of Americans dont believe in evolution.
Roughly 76% of Americans identify themselves as christian.
Christians are told from an early age, "God made man".
Because they are "brainwashed" (for lack of a better term) to believe what is RIGHT and WRONG, they never read in depth "theories" like Evolution.
Yes, this means many Christians are able to see past their "brainwashing" (again, for lack of a better term), but it also means many are blind, and dont WANT to see past it.

See how it all fits together? Most people who dont believe in evolution, are Christians. Anyone else is well.... an idiot. (Not in the insulting way. I mean "uneducated". And not in a bad way)
Because the large majority of people were told from childhood, "God is always right, never question him, he made the world and everyone on it", they dont believe in evolution.

Im not saying religion is bad. But there is a pretty large correlation between Religion, and the halt of scientific progress.

Please note: I am not saying anyone else has to believe this. This is just my belief. This is MY take on the situation and reason behind evolution being such a misinterpreted subject. If i offended you, sorry. It was not my intention.
So your belief is that Evolution is obviously the "intelligent" side.

Interesting, though I know numerous intelligent Christians that are far more capable than either of us and they wholeheartedly explain, and defend Creationism.
No, evolution isnt so much the "intelligent" side, as it is the "knowledgeable" side.
((I know people who you would call "intelligent", but they cant even change a flat tire))

And personally, i believe in creationism. But the thing is, Evolution is a fact. Why do you think the common cold is such a problem? Because its constantly evolving. Its always changing its form c. We can never cure it, because of its rapid evolution.

Or the experiment of increasing the lifespan of a fly. http://livelonger.hubpages.com/hub/Longevity_and_Genetics

Evolution is one of the few things we can actively PROVE. xD
So do you think that God created the entire universe within a matter of days, including all life, or do you hold a more intelligent design belief with God creating the universe but evolution doing most of the "work"?
Not really "god".
I believe we were created by something beyond our comprehension.

I could call it "god" just as much as i could call it "fate", "luck", "metaphysical-aliens", or "The flying spaghetti monster".

The chances of our planet being in perfect distance of the sun to have constant liquid water on the surface, have life develop on it from thoughtless chains of atoms, to develop the perfect oxygen atmosphere and then on top of that, for us to NOT be destroyed by one of the countless (literally countless) meteors hurling through space is beyond the realm of "just happening".

And Creationism isnt the belief it happened in a matter of days. Its just that a supernatural being started it. And yes, "evolution" did most of the work after the foundation was laid.
Thinking that is fine, I have no objections to that. This is mostly because evolution starts after the creation of life. Therefore Creationism has free reign over that area. However, that still doesn't make Creationism a science and thats the big point.
Evolution includes the creation of life. How the hell do you think it happened without it?
Evolution doesn't explain how life began though. It doesn't focus on that. Instead it focuses on what happened after that moment of the existence of life on Earth. Just the same as how relativity was not created to explain how the universe was born.
I think abiogenesis is the field that tries to explain how life came about.
Maybe, I haven't looked into that. However, that is a different field, meaning it is a different subject. The influence of evolution can be used to help determine how life could have arose, however evolution does not focus on that area.

weker

May 27, 2009
kouriichi said:
Besides, heated debates tend to be the best. Its how you know both sides have valid points.
somewhat with you till here. Heated debates just show they really want their belief to be right.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Here's a common misconception about evolution: people think it attempts to explain how life started. It doesn't. It says nothing about life's creation.

I don't really get it either. I'm glad Catholicism decided to recently accept it to a degree, but at some point you gotta go "Well, this is fact, and it goes against my beliefs. I guess I will have to change my beliefs". It's hard, yes, but not impossible. At least not many people still believe the Earth is only 6000 years old. Or that the Earth is flat.

psychodynamica

Feb 24, 2010
kouriichi said:
Dude, try for a moment to imagine the galaxy in all it's vastness, the uncountable number of stars, and the uncountable number of planets surrounding some of those stars. then remember that our galaxy is one of a near infinite amount of equally large galaxies. Now with that in mind look over you statement, our planet is not an amazing piece of luck, but a mathematical certainty, becuase their are so many planets and all are unique, thus one like ours had to exist somewhere. It's chance, not magic, or any other kind of supernatural thing. it's like if you had an infinite number of entirely unique human beings, their would have to be one who would be in the right time, place and state of mind to say exactly what you just said.

Not trying to insult your beliefs, just telling you what, as a species, we have figured out.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
Kouriichi, I think the word for what you are is "deist". Someone who believes in a supernatural creator, but not necessarily (in fact almost certainly not) the one from any particular religion.

But the point I and others have been trying to make is that, low as the chances of life (especially life as advanced as humans) arising on any planet anywhere might be, even a very small chance is a chance and there is nothing strange about it happening. It may have been very unlikely, but the universe is a very big place and it was as likely to happen here on Earth as anywhere else. We humans are the product of it happening, so it's no coincidence whatsoever that it happens where we happen to be, any more than it's a coincidence that if you design and build a car you end up with a car (sorry for the potentially confusing "design" analogy).

Again, the anthropic argument: it must have happened because here we are.
>.<
No, im not a Deist.
Because i believe that the supernatural power does take part in the affairs of the universe.

For us to exist, i believe that the supernatural power had to have a hand in all the events leading UP to where we are as a species.
Oh ok, I was forgetting about the "indifferent" aspect of deism.

But I still genuinely don't see how you've reached your conclusion. I totally agree that it's amazing to think that we are the result of a very unlikely series of occurrences, but there's no reason to think it's not the case.

Also, hopefully without getting too far into the dangerous territory of full-on theo-debate... if we were created by a being, where did that being come from?
I dont believe so much that it "came from somewhere".
I kinda believe "its part of this". (this being everything)
Kind of like Darkmatter. Its just there.
Fair enough.

This kind of thing is the reason why I'm an agnostic who likes to be thought of as an atheist. Your darkmatter creator could be the truth. The deist's indifferent creator could be the truth. The Flying Spaghetti Monster could be the truth. Even the Judeo-Christian god could be the truth. But so could absolutely, literally anything else we could imagine, and anything we couldn't imagine, because we're talking about things that are going on outside the universe and outside our limited understanding.

So I'm agnostic, but I don't like that term because it apparently has connotations of intellectually happy-go-lucky people who are all friendly and think one belief system is as good as another. I'd rather align myself with hard-line atheists who are, quite frankly, sick and tired of seeing baseless religious beliefs presented as viable alternatives to science and rational thought.

psychodynamica

Feb 24, 2010
Extragorey said:
Wait... Isn't evolution when Alex Mercer grows alien armour or a new limb or something?

But seriously, besides the fact that you haven't actually said what the misinterpretation IS, and besides the fact that I don't live in the US, I still have to disagree.
More people believe in evolution than creation - many more - and this belief is usually based on personal preference or religion rather than scientific knowledge.

Also, you came off as reasonably neutral until the whole "corrupting our science classes and media" bit. At that point you corrupted your post with bias, much like I'm doing now. And it's hard to have a civilised discussion when the discussers are openly predispositioned towards either side. Everyone has their own opinion, but try to obscure it unless the discussion calls for it; this one doesn't.

Back on topic, however, the question isn't really Evolution vs. Creationism - that's a bit like having a debate over the state of light: Particle vs. Wave. Except instead of proving both, you can't prove either one.

So yeah, people misinterpret evolution. People misinterpret everything. Even with a Babel fish in their ear.

Africa, Indonesia, Asia. Lots of third world countries within. most are run and educated by religions of varying kinds. Majority of human beings have never even heard of the idea. Western europe is not the world.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Delsana said:
OctopusRidge said:
Delsana said:
MITOCHONDRIAL LINK TO EVE

You need that or you can't prove evolution and EVERY SINGLE SCIENTIST will admit they don't know what that link is...
To everyone who doesn't know what he's talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

tl;dr: Every woman has DNA in her mitochondria which was passed on from her mother. By comparing the mitochondrial DNA with that of other living women, scientists have reached the conclusion that an African H. sapien woman is the ancestor of every woman currently alive on earth.. Her contemporaries reproduced, mind, but none of their lineages have survived "unbroken".

If any of you are interested in how this was done, this is a very informative Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

Look at the mtDNA section.

& Back on topic, please explain exactly the "link" you say is missing. What would you accept as proof? What is the link we're looking for? Fossil evidence? The name and address of the lady? What do you want from us?
Ask that to the scientists that are looking for it, but essentially they haven't found the chain in the DNA that links it to any animal outside of a Human.
How about the problem of interbreeding with other sapiens. It has been proven recently that Neanderthals and Homos (that sounds weird), uh humans i guess, commonly interbred. Genetics is also a fickle lady so it is hard to have that sort of evidence. I cannot put to much more into it as I am no expert.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
psychodynamica said:
kouriichi said:
Dude, try for a moment to imagine the galaxy in all it's vastness, the uncountable number of stars, and the uncountable number of planets surrounding some of those stars. then remember that our galaxy is one of a near infinite amount of equally large galaxies. Now with that in mind look over you statement, our planet is not an amazing piece of luck, but a mathematical certainty, becuase their are so many planets and all are unique, thus one like ours had to exist somewhere. It's chance, not magic, or any other kind of supernatural thing. it's like if you had an infinite number of entirely unique human beings, their would have to be one who would be in the right time, place and state of mind to say exactly what you just said.

Not trying to insult your beliefs, just telling you what, as a species, we have figured out.
Oh yeah, i know.
Theres an uncountable amount of stars, planets and galaxy's out there. Theres a chance we dont even know of most of them, because we havent seen light from them yet.

xD But that doesnt make the fact that WE are sitting here now talking about it any less amazing. If a single thing in the past had changed, humans might have never evolved existed. instead we could be going though another dino-phase, waiting for another meteor to take us out.

And i dont believe its magic xD never did say i did.
Its THE CHANCE of it all happening so perfectly that gets me. Because every time you add a factor, the chances of it happening gets more and more astronomical.

weker

May 27, 2009
Extragorey said:
Thats mutation.

From my understanding.
Mutation = Changes in the DNA
Adapting = Changes in the DNA (and other things) that help the organism survive or reproduce
Evolution = Changes in the DNA which are inherited throughout the generations

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
Kouriichi, I think the word for what you are is "deist". Someone who believes in a supernatural creator, but not necessarily (in fact almost certainly not) the one from any particular religion.

But the point I and others have been trying to make is that, low as the chances of life (especially life as advanced as humans) arising on any planet anywhere might be, even a very small chance is a chance and there is nothing strange about it happening. It may have been very unlikely, but the universe is a very big place and it was as likely to happen here on Earth as anywhere else. We humans are the product of it happening, so it's no coincidence whatsoever that it happens where we happen to be, any more than it's a coincidence that if you design and build a car you end up with a car (sorry for the potentially confusing "design" analogy).

>.<
No, im not a Deist.
Because i believe that the supernatural power does take part in the affairs of the universe.

For us to exist, i believe that the supernatural power had to have a hand in all the events leading UP to where we are as a species.

But I still genuinely don't see how you've reached your conclusion. I totally agree that it's amazing to think that we are the result of a very unlikely series of occurrences, but there's no reason to think it's not the case.

Also, hopefully without getting too far into the dangerous territory of full-on theo-debate... if we were created by a being, where did that being come from?
Fair enough.

This kind of thing is the reason why I'm an agnostic who likes to be thought of as an atheist. Your darkmatter creator could be the truth. The deist's indifferent creator could be the truth. The Flying Spaghetti Monster could be the truth. Even the Judeo-Christian god could be the truth. But so could absolutely, literally anything else we could imagine, and anything we couldn't imagine, because we're talking about things that are going on outside the universe and outside our limited understanding.

So I'm agnostic, but I don't like that term because it apparently has connotations of intellectually happy-go-lucky people who are all friendly and think one belief system is as good as another. I'd rather align myself with hard-line atheists who are, quite frankly, sick and tired of seeing baseless religious beliefs presented as viable alternatives to science and rational thought.
Well, for all i know, the supernatural being could be nothing but, "The pure hopes and dreams of children! :D"
xD It could be "luck" as we know it, tipping its favor at us.

I just dont believe it all happened, without help. It could even be aliens, but because we have no tangible proof aliens exist, i dont believe it was them. (i partially believe in aliens, but not to the extent most people do.)

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
kouriichi said:
psychodynamica said:
kouriichi said:

Oh yeah, i know.
Theres an uncountable amount of stars, planets and galaxy's out there. Theres a chance we dont even know of most of them, because we havent seen light from them yet.

xD But that doesnt make the fact that WE are sitting here now talking about it any less amazing. If a single thing in the past had changed, humans might have never evolved existed. instead we could be going though another dino-phase, waiting for another meteor to take us out.

Its THE CHANCE of it all happening so perfectly that gets me. Because every time you add a factor, the chances of it happening gets more and more astronomical.
But the fact that we are here talking about it proves that it DID happen. And as Psychodynamica said, the universe is so damn big that there was never any reason why it shouldn't happen somewhere.

BTW I'm not saying this definitely rules out a creator, just that a creator is not necessary to explain it, as you seem to think.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
kouriichi said:
Oh yeah, i know.

You know there's a fundamental flaw in this notion: You seem to be implying that this is the ONLY way that things could have turned out. There are many possibilities, yes, but to make an appeal to probability like that is akin to saying "you know if the specific sperm and egg that I came from didn't get together, my parents would never have had kids" (assuming you're an only child for simplicity's sake). By the line of thought you seem to be endorsing here, every single person should be viewed as a statsistical anomaly because the given sperm that they came from was only one of about 4 billion, giving them specifically an incredibly small chance of existing as they are. That's not proper logic.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
psychodynamica said:
kouriichi said:

Oh yeah, i know.

But the fact that we are here talking about it proves that it DID happen. And as Psychodynamica said, the universe is so damn big that there was never any reason why it shouldn't happen somewhere.

BTW I'm not saying this definitely rules out a creator, just that a creator is not necessary to explain it, as you seem to think.
xD well yeah, i understand that life is more then likely to exist somewhere else. But another factor is that life becoming intelligent, as we are. Its bound to happen sometime, but when it does, think of all the events that have to take place in its billions of years of planet formation and evolution for it to exist.

Yes, science says its bound to happen, but its just so amazingly unlikely, i prefer the idea something helped it along.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:

>.<
No, im not a Deist.

Fair enough.

Well, for all i know, the supernatural being could be nothing but, "The pure hopes and dreams of children! :D"
xD It could be "luck" as we know it, tipping its favor at us.

I just dont believe it all happened, without help. It could even be aliens, but because we have no tangible proof aliens exist, i dont believe it was them. (i partially believe in aliens, but not to the extent most people do.)
But we have no tangible proof that a supernatural creator exists either. More to the point, we have no tangible reason to believe it DIDN'T all "just happen".

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Asita said:
kouriichi said:
Oh yeah, i know.

You know there's a fundamental flaw in this notion: That this is the ONLY way that things could have turned out. There are many possibilities, yes, but to make an appeal to probability like that is akin to saying "you know if the specific sperm and egg that I came from didn't get together, my parents would never have had kids" (assuming you're an only child for simplicity's sake). By the line of thought you seem to be endorsing here, every single person should be viewed as a statsistical anomaly because the given sperm that they came from was only one of about 4 billion, giving them specifically an incredibly small chance of existing as they are. That's not proper logic.
xD no, its not proper logic. I never said it was. Humans arnt logical creatures by nature.

Id just rather chalk the creation of EVERYTHING up to something other then blind chance.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
kouriichi said:
Hides His Eyes said:
kouriichi said:
psychodynamica said:
kouriichi said:

Oh yeah, i know.

xD well yeah, i understand that life is more then likely to exist somewhere else. But another factor is that life becoming intelligent, as we are. Its bound to happen sometime, but when it does, think of all the events that have to take place in its billions of years of planet formation and evolution for it to exist.

Yes, science says its bound to happen, but its just so amazingly unlikely, i prefer the idea something helped it along.
Science says it's bound to happen but it's too unlikely to have happened? Isn't that a total contradiction?

Flac00

May 19, 2010
kouriichi said:
weker said:
kouriichi said:
created us through evolution.
And this would be why your not a creationist.
Creationism and Evolution are opposite beliefs and you cannot believe in both.
If you think something guided Evolution your still not a Creationist.

I don't mean to sound harsh by linking web definitions and would normally use a dictionary (to late sadly XD)

The belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution

the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed.

Creationism is the religious doctrine, opposed to naturalistic evolution, that life on this planet was created by a special, unique act of God. Creationism goes beyond this traditional religious belief, however, in asserting that this belief can be proven empirically and scientifically. (there is a second section to this definition however it is not nice for any believers so I left it out)
"Creationism is the religious belief[1] that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being."

It is creationism.
Creationism doesnt dictate, "Poof humans existed". It dictates that through the supernatural beings power, humans exist, even if its through evolution.
But the problem there is that it is not a science. You can't scientifically prove or disprove god, therefore creationism can't be a science.