The misinterpretation of evolution

weker

May 27, 2009
Asita said:
I'm aware of Evolution's status. What I listed (as I thought I explained later in the post, but I guess not sufficiently) were hypothetical models that would falsify the theory as we know it today. A static fossil record (which again: We're pretty sure we lack) would throw virtually all data out the window by heavily suggesting that life existed in its present form for millenia. True chimeras would cancel out much of genetics and indicate either 'true' species (by virtue of mishmashes like the Chimera itself having traits like the head of a goat...another head of a lion, a snake tail (alternatively, a tail that is a snake)), or damaging the conclusions about breedable organisms (in the case of mermaids, allowing hybridization at the level of Phyla). And a mechanism that prevented mutations past a certain point in a given population would ostensibly prohibit speciation thus limiting evolution's capacity to explain the existence of life. Now, as I stated priorly, we can say with ever greater certainty that these things don't exist outside of hypothetical examples, but they act as conditions that make evolution falsifiable, which is itself a criteria for scientific status.
As I said I understood this was hypothetical, however even if it was the case, science would still keep its current stance but just investigate it and class them as outlines.

Minimizer110000

Jun 27, 2011
Flac00 said:
That's right, around 50% of the population of the United States does not believe in evolution, and that is sad.
Actually, it's more like 35%, Richard Dawkins said so recently when he was evaluating the Republican Presidential candidiates. It's even grimmer than it seems. I agree with your argument and it's getting worse in places like Texas where they are actually teaching misinformation to children. I got this all from Reddit lol.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Forlong said:
Asita said:
Forlong said:
Anyone with a degree in obviousology could tell you that Creationism and Intelligent Design are NOT the same thing. Creationism is a TYPE of Intelligent Design, but so is believing that aliens landed on Earth and seeded it to manipulate it's evolution. Intelligent Design just took the patterns already seen in evolution and extrapolated that they were guided in some fashion. It's as valid a hypothesis that evolution was. I love how atheist praise Darwin for sticking to his guns with a new and revolutionary idea, but reject all other new and revolutionary ideas for no reason. There is a word for that: hypocrisy.

Doubt it evolution is due to varying factors. Lack of explaining it properly and getting mad when asked to do so is one of them. Yeah, way to make us put trust in your theory. Who wouldn't believe the angry jerk? Oh yeah, no one!
No they didn't and no it isn't. Again, see Kitzmiller v. Dover. See also the infamous 'Wedge Document'. Intelligent Design is quite literally a repackaging of the core tennets of Creationism to make them seem not to violate the establishment clause, designed by creationists for creationists. See wiki for a brief introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Design
Thank you for showing what a post responding to only the first sentence of mine would look like. What's that? You were responding to my whole post? Well, that cannot be the case as you completely missed the point and didn't even read the source you sited.

At first glance, the wiki does seem to indicate that ID is Creationism, but the methods are completely different. Intelligent Design came form natural observation of the universe and testing. You know, SCIENTIFIC METHOD! Thus, it is science, though only in the hypothesis phase. Creationism took elements from the Bible and mixed in some science. The ID wiki brings up the Bible once, to clarify that advocates of the theory keep the Bible out of it. Creationism=pseudoscience, Intelligent Design=scientific hypothesis

Atheist Evolutionist are just pretentiously annoying asshats, as far as I've seen. This comes from actually seeing how they respond to even the simplest question about evolution, so as in "Flock of Dodos" and "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed". FYI: "Flock of Dodos" was hosted by an evolutionist. Wow.
How is it science? What research has been done on the subject? What peer reviewed journals have had entries on it? What major scientific establishments have acknowledged it as a science? It is just one big argument from ignorance. It isn't science.
Michael Behe, the leading scientist behind it, has acknowledged that you would have to completely redefine the definition of "science" for ID to even try to qualify.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
I just can't hold back anymore...

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

I'M SORRY SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT. SO SO SORRY.

gertmenkel

May 13, 2010
@The-Epicly-Named-Man
You mean kids in the US aren't taught Evolutionism in some schools?
How do they teach biology?

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
Dann661 said:
I am a Catholic, but I still know that evolution exists, and I agree that it is appalling that most people don't don't know about it. However, I do not think everyone should be forced to believe in evolution, if people don't want to, why make them? Intelligent design is still a possible theory, as is the theory of evolution, I think God guided evolution but, I'm not going to go around and try and make people teach this in schools everywhere.
'intelligent design' doesn't explain the microbes on mars, or any of the UNintelligent designs in this world... if i were religious i would be reluctant to believe the 'we were made as us' part, because we have flaws ourself, and if we were created in the image of a perfect being, then we ought to be perfect beings, just less powerful, but we are not perfect, so we can't have been made in the image of a perfect being, and it can't be a ;mistake' on the part of this perfect being, because if you are perfect then you can't make mistakes, as that is one of the human imperfections

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Forlong said:
Thank you for showing what a post responding to only the first sentence of mine would look like. What's that? You were responding to my whole post? Well, that cannot be the case as you completely missed the point and didn't even read the source you sited.

At first glance, the wiki does seem to indicate that ID is Creationism, but the methods are completely different. Intelligent Design came form natural observation of the universe and testing. You know, SCIENTIFIC METHOD! Thus, it is science, though only in the hypothesis phase. Creationism took elements from the Bible and mixed in some science. The ID wiki brings up the Bible once, to clarify that advocates of the theory keep the Bible out of it. Creationism=pseudoscience, Intelligent Design=scientific hypothesis

Atheist Evolutionist are just pretentiously annoying asshats, as far as I've seen. This comes from actually seeing how they respond to even the simplest question about evolution, so as in "Flock of Dodos" and "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed". FYI: "Flock of Dodos" was hosted by an evolutionist. Wow.
Well to respond in kind, thank you for showing what someone pretending to have read the source provided would look like. Did you perhaps miss the little detail of Kizmiller v. Dover? You know, where the term was first really examined and was overwhelmingly demonstrated to be the same concepts used in Creationism presented in a more PC form? Did you also miss the part where the flagship book for the concept was quite literally first made as a creationist textbook and the bulk of the changes made to it were changing most instances of 'creationism' to 'intelligent design', 'creationist' to 'design proponent' and one particularly damning error which had the end result being 'cdesign proponentists'? Perhaps you also missed the Wedge Document saying in no uncertain terms that the entire purpose of the Intelligent Design movement was to "defeat [the] materialist world view" represented by the theory of evolution in favor of "a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions"?

Incidentally, you might want to take a look at a little ditty called Expelled exposed. Expelled was a very intellectually dishonest film which rehashed some of the more outlandish logical fallacies to ever disgrace the movement.

A LargePlatypus

May 30, 2011
I learned that tapping B stops evolution,some creatures only evolve when given rocks,and others only evolve when given to someone else. Which is difficult if none of your friends have Gameboys.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
This thread needs some clarifications. First Intelligent Design isn't just Creationism.

Creationism falls mostly in to two subsets. God created humanity as it is today, and God created life and made the rules of evolution. Neither is testable because they both require leaps of faith. This does not however make creationism invalid because it comes down to personal faith. If you insult someone for personal faith you're just as much of an idiot as you claim they are.

Second Intelligent Design covers subjects like the Hypothesis of Extraterrestrial design of humans. In such cases as a highly evolved race that lived on earth perhaps millions of years ago, or non earth originated animal life created us. Both cases are untestable unless we find significant fossil, or archeological proof, or if we encounter such species. If we do find a alien race that claims to have built us they'd better have proof of such.

Third is that Darwin did not build the theory of evolution, his contribution was natural selection which is discredited. Evolution can not be proven because we have never witnessed it actually happening. On top of that there are so many holes in the fossil record that as much as 99% of life that ever lived on earth, left no trace on the earth. That is why there are "missing links."

None of these hypotheses, theories, or faiths are yet proven beyond a reasonable doubt. There just isn't enough solid fact to prove any of these. So it is indeed up to each person's individual view. Personally for me I believe that it's most likely that an extraterrestrial race designed us for what ever purpose they had. Be it leaving their own imprint across the galaxy, making reliably intelligent workers, or simply just being able to say they did it. But it can't be proven true of false now, maybe in the future it can, but now it's still just a thought. As are Creationism and Evolution. For all we know they could all be somewhat correct.

Okamipsychonaut

Mar 30, 2010
We are a type 1 civilization....meaning we have a long way to go before everyone is easy going about the complexity behind our coming into being on this mammal train. Apparently our only type 2 feature is Rock n Roll culture..which rock n rollers understand among each other...a global culture.

I go mushroom hunting in the Autumn(yes, in the Autumn, heh), and I find these Pacific golden Chanterelles, which is like a sturgeon, or a cockroach..or another organism that has stayed with an unchanging form for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time( didn't know the specific millions or billions for those fungus, fish and insects)

As for Social Darwinism and it's potential ugly face. In our brave new future...there are all sorts of struggles sure to come, but it all get's put on it's face when you have physically beautiful idiots and physically repellent genius, and of course vice versa.

It also be seen that seeing our own origins outside the box is impossible maybe...because humans have put their population centers in the lie of volcanoes, on land scoured flat by hurricanes, and right on fault lines....in the relatively quiet times before civilization smashing events....a blink in time for a mountain....a thousand generations of people. This shows that we cannot see our precise place in the scheme of "thing" "s"

I recommend the wild speculation about evolution by the science fiction/philosophy writer Colin Wilson.....for the more adventurous and less stuffy exploring minds.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You know, in retrospect I'm surprised that TalkOrigins good old Index to Creationist Claims hasn't popped up yet. That's about as comprehensive a list of misconcpetions about evolution (and the rebuttals to them) as you get.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Third is that Darwin did not build the theory of evolution, his contribution was natural selection which is discredited.
Hold the fucking phone. I'll ignore the rest of your post. This, however, needs addressing. Immediately.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Unfortunately as looking it up goes it gets ambiguous as all hell as far as definitions go. But if you know your history of biology, Darwin's theory was indeed natural selection. But natural selection spits in the face of genetic diversity which is proven. It also doesn't even come close to explaining all the junk throw back genetic data in modern animal life. For example what the hell is the human appendix for? Even more confusing how did land based reptiles evolve in to avian life? Either way it's usually said that Darwinism/Natural Selection has been surpassed by other studies in to evolution. Though it's at large rejected in the scientific community, there are many who believe it a mechanic of evolution.

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
Dann661 said:
I am a Catholic, but I still know that evolution exists, and I agree that it is appalling that most people don't don't know about it. However, I do not think everyone should be forced to believe in evolution, if people don't want to, why make them? Intelligent design is still a possible theory, as is the theory of evolution, I think God guided evolution but, I'm not going to go around and try and make people teach this in schools everywhere.
See, you I like. I'm an Atheist myself, but I don't mind you being Christian, believing what you think is 'the right explanation' (just to put it simply, and I don't mean this in a bad way, but just to make this easy, and not a 3 paragraph explanation about all this.). The best part here I think is that you don't mind what others think.

aside from that... I don't know. Evolution is just quite a difficult thing to grasp. It happens over the course of so long, that you will hardly notice anything of it. The only thing you can possibly see happening in your lifetime is social evolution... but that's a completely different story.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Unfortunately as looking it up goes it gets ambiguous as all hell as far as definitions go. But if you know your history of biology, Darwin's theory was indeed natural selection. But natural selection spits in the face of genetic diversity which is proven. It also doesn't even come close to explaining all the junk throw back genetic data in modern animal life. For example what the hell is the human appendix for? Even more confusing how did land based reptiles evolve in to avian life? Either way it's usually said that Darwinism/Natural Selection has been surpassed by other studies in to evolution. Though it's at large rejected in the scientific community, there are many who believe it a mechanic of evolution.
Again, I'm going to need a source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection
Wikipedia disagrees.

DarkChoclate

Sep 27, 2010
The way I go about it is I'm a Christian and there are a lot of things about my religion that make legitimate sense, but others that don't. So when I see things like fossils, i wont throw away the idea of evolution because hell, its proof. But I still believe in my religion, so my theory is just it doesn't make sense and I'm cool with that. No one actually knows how the beginning of humanity began and the truth of it may very well be that no one will. So arguing about it isn't going to make a difference because I think if humans ever do find the answer, it probably will not make sense, and possibly come off as stupid which could lead to it being denied. Seeing as that is not yet the case, everyone's opinion is literally a guess and just depends on a person's respective belief. So I really don't care about each persons ignorance because it might as well make as much sense as my own belief, and to each man his own.

Edit: With that said, I find knowledge and discussion to be enlightening so while arguing and throwing a fit may be pointless, discussing it still has its value.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Again, I'm going to need a source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection
Wikipedia disagrees.
Wikipedia isn't a scientific source, and is considered generally unreliable as a source for information because of how many people can, and do edit it. You want a source, visit the nearest university, visit the library and Biology department there. I'm no scientist, scholar, professor, or expert on the subject. But this is what I learned in Biology class. Darwin came up with the theory of Natural Selection, and he was pretty close, but missed the target.