The most bullcrap boss/es.

TheArtfulNudger

Aug 28, 2011
That F#@%ing Jack-in-the-Box boss from Donkey King 64
Sweet Lion of Zion, what a time-sink it was getting past it-nearly made me give up video games altogther.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Probably Bouldergeist in Super Mario Galaxy on a Daredevil comet run. Also the Napoleon boss in Resident Evil 4.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Bullet hell games like Aero Combat are full of these.

I remember one where in the last stage if you continued you were sent back to the start of the stage.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Oh. Also Motaro in Mortal Kombat Trilogy, where he can kill you in 3 seconds on Easy, and Shao Kahn at the end of the newest one. Fuck. You. Shao Kahn.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
RedFox742 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Guffe said:
Wasn't there a Sephirot in Kingdom Hearts?
Somekind of secret boss fight if I remember correctly... hugh!
He was in the first and I'm pretty sure the second. I never played the second but I beat him in the first. I had to get Sora to level 70-something to take his ass down. Very hard fight but satisfying once you win.
Yeah, Sephiroth was a secret battle in both games and probably the hardest in each (save for some of the ridiculous stuff in the Japanese Final Mix, with Roxas and whatnot.)

In which game he was more difficult is a matter of opinion, but I think the first, because he was cheaper. It took figuring out a very specific attack pattern to even touch him, and then you needed to wail on him for a good two minutes (depending on your level) to make his health bar even start to dip (and he had five of them, six including the invisible one.) By the end of the battle he had attacks that were beyond impossible to block or dodge, so you just had to frantically heal and hope to sneak in a chip attack now and then.

In the second game he had FIFTEEN health bars, but due to reaction commands and Sora's generally upgraded skills, it was actually an easier fight, even on the Expert difficulty. There was still a good degree of trial and error, and most of his attacks were basically insta-kills (the perks that let you hang on to a sliver of life no matter what were beyond essential), but with the right skills you could knock the silver-haired, silver-tongued punk into the air and wail on him for a good dozen or so hits, then repeat. It was actually possible to beat him without even getting touched, but it was much easier to let him launch you (which did very little damage), then strike back and pound away.

Of course, both battles were much easier if you had the patience (and boredom) to grind Sora into the 80s level-wise.
I agree, Sephiroth was much harder in the first game. In the second game, I'd occasionally go back and fight him again, if I was bored. But in the first game, I beat him on expert, and NEVER fought him again. Never again.

Anyways, OT, I don't really consider him a bullcrap boss, mostly because he's an optional boss, and he's DESIGNED to be difficult.

In my opinion, I'd have to go with the very first Big Daddy you fight in Bioshock, on Survivor mode. He's almost IMPOSSIBLE to beat unless you use some kind of exploit. (in my case, I carried half a dozen exploding barrels from all over the level to his location, and blew them up in his face to kill him).

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Aster Protoflorian was so hard, I actually had to have my mum do it.

Harvey Moischewitz Volodarskii would have been easy if he didn't have that bloody insta-kill disappearing box attack.

Shinobu never stood still long enough for me to get any good hits in.

The female terrorist from Human Revolution was hard to hit and hits really hard.

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
First boss in Dragon Age 2 on the hardest difficulty. Took me about an hour, not because it was difficult, but because he has so RIDICULOUSLY MUCH HEALTH AND ARMOR. FUCK ME. Yeah, took a while.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Bishop99999999 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Siskel and Ebert. Otherwise known as Orstein and Smough from Dark Souls. Solo, no summoning other players. They...they did things to me.....
Seconded. I hate these guys with a passion. And having to kill those two giant knights beforehand just to be able to summon Solaire...I found myself jamming on the right bumper trying to FUS RO DAH! them after a while.
If you manage to summon Solaire it's a very easy fight *providing* you kill Ornstein first. Or rather you just kite Smough and Solaire will kill Ornstein all by himself. Smough in his powered up form is laughably easy if you know what to do, he shouldn't even hit you.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wave 20 of the "Bloodied Colosseum" map on Dawn of War II: The Last Stand

You have to fight:

A Powerful Chaos Lord (the "main boss")

Evil Copies of you and your teammates (including any who left the game)

The Commanders of the previous 3 waves*, an Ork Warboss, a Tyranid Lictor and a Terminator Sergeant respectively.

Half-a-Dozen Bloodletters (small but powerful demons)

To this day I have not been able to complete it.

*They start off dead (obviously) but the Chaos Lord and the Evil Copies can both revive them (as well as each other).

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008

Shao Khan from the MK series, Seth in SF4, anyone who stepped up to the plate in the Soulcalibur series. It's less a test of my fighting game skills and more a test of my blood pressure medication. Oh, and my ability to repeatedly spam the same cheap attacks before the boss can do the same to me.

...Dural was alright, if only because she never pulled never before seen unblockable moves out of her ass.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ItsAChiaotzu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Siskel and Ebert. Otherwise known as Orstein and Smough from Dark Souls. Solo, no summoning other players. They...they did things to me.....
Ah, I really love that boss battle, but seriously, they were nothing on Gwyn.

That fight literally took me around 80 tries to do, and even then I only did it by cheesing him with Iron Flesh.
Really? I thought Gwyn was tough until I found out that you could parry him. The I died 8 times getting the timing right. After you get the timing on the parry down, he is cake.

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
In soul calibur III there was a mission in which you had to fight Nightterror. If he got so much as one attack on you, your ass belongs to him.

Emerald Weapon from FFVII deserves a spot here 2. You needed knights of round/mime to beat him, plus one guy with underwater materia, but that was like 3000 damage on his secial attack. Then he did it twice in a row. So many resets.

The Doom Dragon from Golden Sun the Lost Age- To start with its o he is a pansie, then the moment a head dies his five pettiful attacks now become deadly, like it was running into a brick wall. The running was easy, the wall.....not so much. Then dealing with the head wounds. Just to be given a bs cliff hanger.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes- Everyone should know by now underwater levels and bosses suck. Well after getting a underwater movement suit this damn fish would just keep killing me again and again, its charge attack would always throw off my aim and make me spend five minutes trying to look in its general direction.

Saegrim

Dec 11, 2011
Most annoying boss I've ever fought was Saren from ME1. His health bar went down slower than an old person's driving.
Hardest boss would be Boost/Spider Guardian from Metroid Prime 2. Those two can go straight to hell.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
DustyDrB said:
This is why I like Zelda bosses so much. They are really just giant puzzles that can kill you.
meh, cept once you know how to 'solve' the puzzle they cease to be a challenge, at that point they might as well just be normal enemy's that take a little longer to kill
How does that not make sense though? If you solve any kind of puzzle, you progress past it. I don't see a problem here.
its fine for a Zelda game, since its like 90% puzzles anyway, but the problem is, for me anyway, there's no real learning curve to it. meaning the boss in later replays stays 'weak' due to the item in its dungeon basically putting it in stun lock for the whole fight. >.> which is probably why i haven't beaten a Zelda game since the SNES

i prefer a boss, even one i've beaten, to in later play throughs keep me glued to him and focused on them cause they still pose a valid threat, even with the upgrades of new game+ if the game has it. hence i've replayed Devil May Cry numerous times

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Mobius Evalon said:
Inherent to the term "boss" is an arbitrary NPC that is important to the plot somehow, who is thusly magically able to take a tactical nuclear missile to the face and only lose a sliver of health.

The entire concept of a boss fight is BS, and I've run into so few games where a boss character can die as easily as anyone else that I can't even recall which games they were. I simply cannot stand any boss that is a damage sponge, even more so when only a specific type of attack can damage it.
Depends on the game. Not all games have enemies that would even seem to go down with one shot. Example is the supermutant behemoth. That mother fucker looks like he could be riddled with bullets and still go on. And how about enemies with magic shielding and healing. That makes sense right.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Aeshi said:
Wave 20 of the "Bloodied Colosseum" map on Dawn of War II: The Last Stand

You have to fight:

A Powerful Chaos Lord (the "main boss")

Evil Copies of you and your teammates (including any who left the game)

The Commanders of the previous 3 waves*, an Ork Warboss, a Tyranid Lictor and a Terminator Sergeant respectively.

Half-a-Dozen Bloodletters (small but powerful demons)

To this day I have not been able to complete it.

*They start off dead (obviously) but the Chaos Lord and the Evil Copies can both revive them (as well as each other).
i've been there, lasted all of 5 seconds, since the split up your party, never been able to get back to wave 20 :/ fucking clones are a bit of a brick wall

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
The IMPACT bosses from Mystical Ninja for N64. You're never given time to PRACTICE with the Impact, the controls are non-intuitive and strange-looking, and so even with full textual description of the move sequence necessary to win, it STILL is not possible to beat them. After a really nice game, the final boss is an IMPACT boss, and I can't beat him.