The most disappointing thing you learned as a kid?

Apprentice88

Jun 16, 2011
The realisation that I would have to spend a good 20 years of my life in school to get the qualifications to become a Mecha Pilot, then the Realisation that Mecha Pilot isn't a real Job... ...yet.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
DJDarque said:
When I learned that Dr. Seuss drew racist, American propaganda cartoons during World War 2.
Whaaaat?! Really? Example please?

EDIT: Dw, just found a few up there ^^

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
When I learned how the world really worked, that it isn't asperfect as I thought it was. It made me very... bitter.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
That being evil and cruel is apparently easy to get away with.

My moral white armour has slowly turned grey over the years, and continues...

May 29, 2011
Belated said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
When I realized there is no god. I was about 6 I think.
Sigh... So much for making it past one page without someone saying it. Y'know. I don't blame you, so much as I blame myself for not seeing it coming. I literally thought, as I wrote my opening post, "Should I put a 'Please nothing about God.' in here? Nah. Nobody's going to go there. They're better than that." Man I'm stupid.
Well I'm sorry if i offended anyone in any way but the thread asked a question and i gave an honest answer. It kind of is you fault. If you didn't want something mentioned you should have said so. And what's so bad about mentioning it anyway? It has to be tons of peoples answer for that question. And since when was it morally wrong to so much as mention god?

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Learning at the age of ten that my mother was an alcoholic,
and learning at the age of seven that kids can bully you even though you're the nicest damn person in the entire class.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Wild Cat said:
and learning at the age of seven that kids can bully you even though you're the nicest damn person in the entire class.
I can one up you right there. Learning that people can bully you BECAUSE you are the nicest person in class. Being nice doesn't get you anywhere in this world.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
It was kind of disheartening to realize that by working hard to stay on top of your grades usually meant you had a target on your back from everyone else or that enjoying something pertaining to school meant you were a kiss-up.

At least it was a better explanation to my dead social life as an eight-year-old rather then "You smell funny." like the kid in the corner.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
kayisking said:
Wild Cat said:
I can one up you right there. Learning that people can bully you BECAUSE you are the nicest person in class. Being nice doesn't get you anywhere in this world.
I suppose that's why they did it. Was too damn nice to be mean back at them.
(Y'know, until puberty, when suddenly being verbally cruel to people who hurt you wasn't so hard anymore. Guess it's all about learning the balance.)

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
Viral_Lola said:
William MacKay said:
DoctorPhil said:
That every time I wank it will never be as amazing as the first time.
i dont have that problem, its actually gotten better for me (though that might be because i hit puberty about 5 years after i started...) my problem is my right arm has more muscle.
Viral_Lola said:
Kenko said:
When the school-nurse told me that I was never going to be tall.
It's okay, I'm a short cake too. :D
same here! except the shortest person in my family (excluding me) is my mother. who is 5'8. she's an inch shorter than her sister. thats just the women. her YOUNGER brother is about 6'1.
OT: everything i learned in P7 sex ed. put it this way: my best friends mother watched the same video as us in primary school, and she was about 40 at the time and "it was old back then...". P7 is when you're 10/11.
5 8' is short in her family?! Then I would look like an Asian gnome standing next to any of them.
her side of the family is mostly scandanavian. basically, the majority of my family comes from cold places where everyone is generally tall.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Belated said:
"Tax" means that you have to pay more money than what's listed on the price tag.
thats silly. the price tag should include all taxes.

probably finding out santa, easter bunny etc werent real.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
when the teacher said no to giving everyone an Air Conditioner, as a solution to the Middle East Conflict, because you know they're all hot and bothered over there. Child's innocence was always a much simpler and easier time till reality kicked you in the balls.

Tsekatsu

Mar 29, 2011
I always thought babies came from the belly button when I was younger.
I was disappointed to find out that they came from somewhere else.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm... I think the only time I can remember being dissapointed was a few years ago when I realised that I knew how the world works (I've always liked Physics and Chemistry at school... I never thought I'd payed any attention in the lessons)

This caused a sudden meltdown in my brain when I realised how light switches and the like worked (In a way that doesn't use magic)

The Serpent

Jun 20, 2011
Biggest disappointment I think was realizing that being intellectually clever was no substitute for actually doing homework and studying. I realized this when I was 6-8 years old. I'm 19 and I still haven't gotten over it, or fully admitted it to myself and applied myself to my studies. Doing hard work is so...hard. :/

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I was disappointed to find out there were no Digimon. I knew life was loveless and grim ever since i found out that even a fucking retard like Bush could get his hands on the presidential office, and the fact that i couldn't meet a real Digimon and that hallucinogenic drugs are illegal really just fucked with my dreams since i knew there would never be justice in the world.

In retrospect, that could explain how i went mad.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
dt61 said:
When my dad told me he was going to divorce my mom after me and my brother were done with college.
Why is he waiting until you have finished college, if you don't mind me asking?

OT: When I learnt that book stores refuse to sell Tintin in the congo because it had racist overtones. Then I felt really bad because I quite enjoyed that book, and thought that I was racist as well...