The most disappointing thing you learned as a kid?

ZRendZ

Jun 9, 2011
That no matter what i do i will never equate to be like my brother, spending hours learning Yu-Gi-Oh tactics so i can beat him, yet i never did. So now instead of trying to be like him I've gone on my way on trying to get success.
Either that or that my school rewards more towards progress then actual intelligence which made me sad of my intelligence at a young age because no adults gave a shit and rather gave a shit to the less smarter ones when they did something relatively easy.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Use_Imagination_here said:
WolfThomas said:
Anit-climaxes.

In primary school we had this librarian who each week would teach us literary trends/tropes etc by enacting them. I honestly can't remember any of the other things except this day. He told everyone we'd learn about anti-climaxes and that there would be MacDonalds for everyone. For an hour he strung everyone along, even sending me to the office to check that it was coming (they were playing). Then five minutes before lunchtime he came in grave faced and told us that the MacDonalds wasn't coming and that was an...anti-climax. I think half the kids broke into tears.
...He/she sounds like an asshole.
Long story short, I was with a buddy getting a pastry at an absolutely amazing shop. While waiting, I guess this day care had nothing bettter to do to keep a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds busy, so they took about 30 inner city small children and paraded them through the bakery saying, "and this is what the inside of the bakery looks like". but not getting them a single thing! Unimaginable cruelty. You should have seen their faces.

On topic: when I was 7ish, I realized we all die. I knew this was true before, but it came to me that, unlike the giant trees in my yard, my grandfather was not just getting taller and stronger, but aging and dying. He was in decent health at the time, it is just that, I truly got it when reflecting on this, not just getting bigger and stronger thing. The reality and eventuality of death really hit home.

The possibility of Hell close 2nd. A Christian told me I'm not perfect (age 12). Who knew?
Parents getting divorced close 3rd.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Pinkamena said:
When I learned that you couldn't get an education in the field of "Inventors". I really, really, wanted to be an inventor like Gyro Gearloose when I grew up. So instead I'm studying physics. Close enough.
This pretty much. Except I was fueled by Dexter's Laboratory, Jimmy Neutron, The Kid's Next Door, and pretty much every tech-savy character in a show ever. Since I can't full out be an inventor, I figured I start focusing on engineering.

OT: Well, I was dissapointed by a lot of things in life.

Being smart and trying to focus on things makes you a bad person for some reason

People will bother you for stupid fucking reasons and can go fuck themselves

Helping people doesn't really mean anything in the long run

Space is farther away than it looks

life is pointless

and...well, now I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

DeadXV

Dec 24, 2009
Mine was in grade 3, when i was walking to the front gate of my school. While day dreaming, I wasnt paying attention and my foot left the path and went into a small ditch (nothing harmful happened). For some reason the sudden shock of falling (even into a ditch no deeper than 2 inches) made me realise that life was not a game and that if i screwed up, i couldnt just load up my last save and try again.

Unfortunatly i forgot it soon after, then went on to fail all of school.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
That I would have to get up early nearly everyday and go to school for a decent chunk of my life. So much wasted time ;_;.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
The sudden realization that when I fucked up my grades at school, it does effect your life, and I should have listened to my parents and concentrated at school, I wasn't even a bad kid.

SovietPanda

Jun 5, 2011
for those of you saying you found out that finding out that flunking school would be such a big deal, become a chef... tis what i did xD

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
GameMaNiAC said:
When I found out all living things die.
Except (in theory) the immortal jellyfish. Not making it up, go look it up. Could theoretically live until the seas go dry.

Ok, it'll die eventually - it is inevitable, but it could have a damned long run.

OT: That if you are intelligant at school, you are obviously a 'boff' and should be socially spurned... good thing i wasn't trying to make friends anyway.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
That being an asshole gets you places, sex, what you want, and what other people want. While being nice gets you to manage thousands of needy 'friendships' that will depend and leech off you for the rest of your life until you have no money, independence, or dignity.