The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Title says it all. What moment in gaming had a disturbing impact on you. It doesn't need to be a horror game or even a bloody one. Mine would have to be in Persona 3 where the teens "shoot" themselves with a Envoker, which is basically a gun. I don't know, something about teenagers shooting themselves to summon their Persona is rather creepy to me.

Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I haven't played it, but I've seen the footage of the women in DNF in pain, before being shot. That one is fresh in my mind.

EDIT: Oh, and that one part at the end of Fable 2. With all the dead bodies and that music box.

Admiral Crunch

Nov 25, 2010
The part in Silent Hill 2 when you see Pyramid Head raping two manniquins.

Maybe I was just suprised by it, but it made me fucking sick.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Honestly, the scene in the original God of War where you have to zap the poor guy on the other end of the bridge leading to the Oracle. I guess it's because I'm not one of those people who enjoys being a dick in games JUST to be a dick, but killing all these innocents to get through the game honestly shocked me.

That scene was especially bad because I felt so bad for the guy. If that was an IRL situation, I'd be just like him, cowering and unwilling to let those monsters get anywhere near me.

That....and then the scene in Silent Hill 2 where Pyramid Head just STARES at you on the other side of the grate. He doesn't do or say anything and then in the next scene he's gone. Honestly, that creeped me out more than anything else in that game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Condemned 2 had some creeeeepy images. Then there's also Dragon Age's Brood Mother and God of War's seamstress...thing.
CM156 said:
Well, I haven't played it, but I've seen the footage of the women in DNF in pain, before being shot. That one is fresh in my mind.
As far as I know, they're just getting teleported.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008

"What's this Goddess? An intruder? He is ugly. Ugly! UGGLLLLYYYYYYY!"

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
When you hear how Brood Mothers are made. Shit is fucked up.

EDIT: Also, it's not in gaming, but never Google "shit is fucked up". Even on moderate safe search.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
The part in Silent Hill two where the 6 corpses are hanging from the ceiling and you had to decide which one is innocent by that creepy murder children's poem on the wall behind it. Then again, pretty much every moment from Silent Hill 2. And that one part in bioshock when you meet the doctor who is obsessed with symmetry and start stabbing the corpse.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Yassen said:

I'm going to have to agree with this one. The first enemy in a game to genuinely creep me the fuck out.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Mine would have to be the opening scene of Persona 3. More specifically...
When Takeba is crying and visably upset and puts the evoker gun to her head. I had no idea what it was when I first started the game and I was pretty shaken by it.

Man I really need to finish that game.

Bezz_Ad

Apr 4, 2011
Recently, DNF, where you can put a rat in a microwave and it just explodes.
That freaked me out more than SH2.

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
Being raped by Alma at the end of the game. Just... why?

I still get a headache thinking about how someone thought that would be a good conclusion to that game, and it tops the creepy things I've seen in Silent Hill. Yes, even two headed baby things and mannequin abuse.

Aug 21, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
Yassen said:

I'm going to have to agree with this one. The first enemy in a game to genuinely creep me the fuck out.
Quite a disturbed character, yes, but played for laughs. Or at least I laughed, when he said "this one: too fat, this one: too tall, this one: too symmetrical!"

I have to say, in terms of first time impact, this:

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Creator002 said:
RapeLay.

Just RapeLay. Urgh. If you know about it, you know what it is.
Ok, I didn't know what this was and I Googled it. This is fucking sick. This game is the reason the whole industry is persecuted like it is. I'm really glad it only in Japan because Fox News would have a field day with this.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Manhunt 2 Uncut - AO version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw6FAmeMdo&feature=related

It's not letting me sign in to you tube for some reason, so i can't post pt2 up.

furmaster3000

Apr 5, 2009
suprised no one mentioned COD:MW 2 terrorist attack on a public airfield.
I bought the game on release day, so I hadn't heard about the level in the media. Kinda took me off my feet, felt really brutal the first time.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Cutting off Ethan's finger with the saw or scissors in Heavy Rain.

The others look painful as hell but the saw and scissors are the worst.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
bussinrounds said:

It's not letting me sign in to you tube for some reason, so i can't post pt2 up.
Fixed it for you

OT: I never really have had a scary moment in gameing, Then again I tend not to play scary games. However if I were to say the "Scareist" I would say in daggerfall with the skeletons they scared the shit out of me.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Silent Hill 2 and LIMBO were just disturbing in general. However, SH2 was more "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING WHAT IS IT DOING!?" where LIMBO is more along the lines of using the corpses of freshly drowned children to cross a river, or the main protagonist (who is also a young child) dying in some horrific, Mortal Kombat-esque gruesome way. Okay, not as bad as Mortal Kombat, but still.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Jonny1188 said:
Being raped by Alma at the end of the game. Just... why?

I still get a headache thinking about how someone thought that would be a good conclusion to that game, and it tops the creepy things I've seen in Silent Hill. Yes, even two headed baby things and mannequin abuse.
Why did someone include that? Here's the thought process of the storywriter in my point of view: "Hmm... a video game about a psychic little girl stalking a man on a mission in the military... now how can I bring tits into this? Hmm..."

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Custer's Revenge. Seanbaby said it best:

Custer: "Gentlemen, you are the bravest squadron of men it has ever been this Southerner's privilege to serve with. And you will need that bravery today, as your orders are to remove my pants and underpants. I will then attempt to force sex on an Indian girl under heavy enemy fire. Are there any questions?"
Custer's Military Adviser: "Yes, general. Several."

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
The final scene from Condemned: Criminal Origins ... yeah, the one with the mirror.
And then it turns out to be noncannon due to a sequal they never thought they'd make and shouldn't have been made.

In Tales of Symphonia where the possesed kid is giving medicine to her father that is rotting in the bed. Yuck that made me sell the game, never beat it.
If you ever listen to Tech N9nes "In the Trunk" it can disturb you the first time.

EDIT:No one said Homefronts mass grave diving yet?

Andy03

Oct 9, 2010
The scariest thing I've play would probably be "Afraid of Monsters". It's a Half-life 1 mod.

If you haven't tried it and you want your pants soiled, I'd recommend it.

I never finished it myself, to god-damned scared. God, I never noped so hard in my life before.

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
Being the cold, heartless monstrous bastard excuse for a human being that I am, I can sit through season upon season of Law & Order: SVU without so much as batting an eyebrow, and I've seen so much crap on the internet that I think "What a pussy" every time I see someone talking about how brutal Mortal Kombat is.[footnote]Yeah, long story short I have a friend who lives in Italy--he's a very fucked up individual. One thing I learned very quickly; if someone links you to a site called "Documenting Reality," only click the link if you feel like losing your dinner and a good amount of sleep.[/footnote]

So I hope you understand how much difficulty I'm having coming up with an answer for this question. I was going to say Banballow from ILLBLEED[footnote]Google at your own risk. Or look up "Let's Play ILLBLEED" by supergreatfriend on YouTube. Good tiemz![/footnote], but really the idea of a mentally insane deformed man running around setting people on fire is only going to scare me if it's happening in real life in my neighborhood. And really the only thing scary about him is his face--literally.[footnote]Also outrunning him would be pretty easy.[/footnote]

I could always say something like, "the fact that people actually liked Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy VII-VIII-X-XII-Etc/Dawn of the New World/Halo/Ferngully/whatever," followed by the trollface, but really, I think I've pulled shit like that enough.

So you know what? I'm going to say THE CONDITION OF USED GAME DISCS FFFFFFFFFF God of War II. Not that it, by itself, disturbs me, but when you get down to thinking about it, it's all about some bloke who needs more anger management sessions than Jimmy Hopkins running around committing what is evidently omnicide. "It breathes? I'll cut it into tiny little pieces! It's twenty times my size? No problem, I'll just STAB IT IN THE EYES."

And yet Kratos is meant to be the hero..? Next you'll tell me exploding penguins can star in their own spinoff of some silly grindfest RPG of silliness.

werefish5

Feb 24, 2011
Just play this. It shouldn't take long.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/austinbreed/covetous

Diablo27

Jul 18, 2010
Gears of War 2. Let's hope I do the spoiler tags right, if not then there be spoilers ahead.

When they find Tai after he was tortured and he blows his brains out as soon as he gets his hand on a gun

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
A tie between the scene in God of War 3 where Kratos pulls that guys head off with his bare hands, and some of the stock footage of World War 2 they played before missions in Call of Duty: World at War.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009

Okay but seriously. Probably those giant ant missions from that one Red Alert expansion. Those things were creepy as all fuck. They also made nasty sounds and were powerful as hell. I don't think I actually finished those missions because I was too creeped out.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
The Geek Lord said:
So you know what? I'm going to say THE CONDITION OF USED GAME DISCS FFFFFFFFFF God of War II. Not that it, by itself, disturbs me, but when you get down to thinking about it, it's all about some bloke who needs more anger management sessions than Jimmy Hopkins running around committing what is evidently omnicide. "It breathes? I'll cut it into tiny little pieces! It's twenty times my size? No problem, I'll just STAB IT IN THE EYES."

And yet Kratos is meant to be the hero..? Next you'll tell me exploding penguins can star in their own spinoff of some silly grindfest RPG of silliness.
You know, it gets progressively even worse in GoW3 where in he deliberately murders every bystander around the area by causing a massive flood and a violent plague. All of this because he essentially has unresolved daddy-issues. And remember that all of this was his fault: The gods had every right to banish Kratos and he caused the corruption in the first place. To this day I believe Kratos has been the villain of God of War series from the second game onward.

I am also having a hard time to come up with an answer. The only one I can think of is this:
In LA Noire a murderer had quite violently removed a ring from the victim's finger. So violently, in fact, that the skin of that part of the finger had wrinkled to the side and the bone was showing. The thought of that happening simply sent shivers down my spine.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, seeing how C&C 4 was utterly butchered was probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in gaming so far. Realizing that certainly took its toll.

Creator002 said:
Although if you've sought that one out to see in the first place, then you'll most certainly be prepared for what's coming - and can hardly blame anyone but yourself for having seen it - given how patently and immediately obvious it is from the title what it's all about.

Jun 23, 2008
I should point out two of the best zombie moments ever. One, in Thief: The Dark Project, dead bodies will moan at you. If you back off, that's your one and only warning. In Left4Dead, you try walking by that dead body (anywhere) and it starts moving. L4D infected, even though they're technically alive, can be very, very still.

Speaking of Thief: The Dark Project, the haunts are pretty scary, seconded only by the Servants in Thief 2: The Metal Age. And the servants are non-combatants.

An especially creepy experience came in Jedi Outcast and I had been disarming opponents all the way through Bespin. Finally, the pathway just ended, and with time, I figured out what happened. A Reborn was supposed to attack me, but he's activated by all the previous opponents being dead. The devs at Raven hadn't considered that some of us might be Jedi-like and actually spare the myriad of goons we had encountered. So I had to go back and take a walk on the Dark Side hewing down unarmed foes as the Reaper himself.

In Requiem: Avenging Angel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem:_Avenging_Angel], when you kill some human combatants, they don't die immediately, and they'll wail and sob like... well like a guy who's down and bleeding out unless you put them out of their misery. The ESRB has since pressured developers to actually tone down the humanity of enemies, especially as they respond to pain and injury. According to them, a person lying there screaming because you blew their leg off might be disturbing to some players. Seriously, it has made the difference between AO and M for more recent games.[footnote]This would actually make for an excellent deterrant of friendly fire on civilians, or any other inappropriate targets, if they collapsed and started screaming from their injuries the way that real people, including soldiers do when injured and dying on the battlefield.[/footnote]

238U.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Many moments in Silent Hill 2 disturbed me, also the broodmother from Dragon Age Origins and a quest in Dragon Age 2

the one where you have to try and save your mother, but her body and bits from the bodies of two other women have all been stitched together. That part just really disturbed me.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
That thing in DNF, where you have to kill those women who were impregnated by aliens. Thats not the opart thats disgusting, what is is that its treated as a joke.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
EHKOS said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
The final scene from Condemned: Criminal Origins ... yeah, the one with the mirror.
And then it turns out to be noncannon due to a sequal they never thought they'd make and shouldn't have been made.
Oh god... that sequel >.>

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
The start of one of the splinter cell games where they are torturing the guy with the car battery. I can't recall which one it is now. 3rd one? I made sure every one of those feckers died.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
If you played I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, then you know what I mean. Seriously just take like any scene from that game, it's just one huge disturbing event.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
A scene that disturbed me the most was the Eyepoker from Dead Space 2.... If oyou played it you know what I mean. I don't know why, but I jsut cant stand seeing stuff like that... Eye surgery... no thanks

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
fable II and III, these two games are disturbing (but probably not how you ment it!)

otherwise...

Creator002 said:
RapeLay.

Just RapeLay. Urgh. If you know about it, you know what it is.
I know, it's just so...WTF!?!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
There were many moments in the Dead Space games where I would go "oh god what the fuck!?!"

The one that ssticks in my mind though for some reason is:

Where that black guy (I forget his name) gets ripped apart by that Brute near the middle of the game.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
The Ashford twins torturing insects and staring incestuously into each others eyes in Code Veronica was pretty creepy. Or maybe the babies and children in dead space 2, especially when played against the background of the pretty colors of the nursery.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
It was really hard for me to face this again, after all these years I've just about forgotten the horror of it... still, the most disturbing thing I've seen in gaming is

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
In the Resident Evil remake, there's the opening FMV where one of the S.T.A.R.s members gets eaten by zombie dogs. That's just nasty XD

Also, most of Bioshock. Nuff' said.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
The best thing I can think of is the entire first area of the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. That entire level is just plain creepy, what with the creepy tentacle monster thingies, and the prisoners trapped in the jars. How the hell did they get them in those jars? Did they make the jars around them?

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way.

And Rapelay? Really? I'd think everyone would be over that by now. It's like one of the most generic rape fantasies ever, and it doesn't actually depict anything that's really "out there".

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
Phishfood said:
The start of one of the splinter cell games where they are torturing the guy with the car battery. I can't recall which one it is now. 3rd one? I made sure every one of those feckers died.
Yeah, the first level of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory where they torture a guy to death by frying him with a car battery. I also broke those guys their backs, the only non-required kills I made in that game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Irriduccibilli said:
A scene that disturbed me the most was the Eyepoker from Dead Space 2.... If oyou played it you know what I mean. I don't know why, but I jsut cant stand seeing stuff like that... Eye surgery... no thanks
this
what is weird is that i found the sequence for succeeding way more disturbing than having half you head ripped of.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
I've got to say the Pyramid head rape(surprise sex) scene in SH2 I know it's what everyone is using, but if you also count the symbolism behind it of James being a somewhat sexual deviant and Pyramid Head representing his true self... It made me feel kind of dirty inside. Like a Todd Solondz movie... you just kind of want to take a scalding hot shower to wash away what you just experienced, but it doesn't go away. It is forever locked deep down in your soul.

On a lighter note... any scene with Kuja in Final Fantasy IX. It was like someone took Sephiroth subtracted everything that made him a bad ass, then castrated him, then turned him into a drag queen.

LordGarbageMan

Jul 24, 2009
Couple of fucked up Oblivion dungeons, I remember one with a bunch of dead bodies that were human experiments or some shit. Never really saw that before, so it disturbed me. Also in Gears 1, when some nameless dude gets destroyed by a berserker behind a corner, so you just see the blood and his shadow. Again, mostly because I never saw that kinda shit before.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Pyschonauts. Yes Psychonauts. I was like...12 or 11. And the G-mans were just...just...yeah. Hell, everything in that game was weird and strange. I was afraid of the whole 2nd half because the campgrounds were dark and a cougar could appear out of nowhere and light you on fire, right before a telekinetic bear grabs you and mauls you to death.

That and Gloria Von Guten's hair. That's stuff's not natural, man.

Gypsy Ninja Pirate Zombie King

What the hell am i!???
Oct 25, 2010
omegawyrm said:
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way
oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.

TheBlitz

Jun 6, 2011
Probably the opening scene of Homefront. That kids mother getting shot in front of him is just... chilling.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
Pissing on a burnt corpse of a pedestrian while hitting it down hill with a shovel in Postal 2

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hm quite a lot of things now that I think about it so here is the most recent:

Ever heard what louis from left 4 dead does when he is the last alive? I couldn't find a clip of it but he starts humming to himself like his mind just snapped. Coming from the guy who is normally the most positive guy in the group thats pretty messed up.

I only ever heard it once and normally when there is only 1 survivor left all I can think is "almost got em! pounce him asap!" But when I heard that I genuinly started thinking "I know it's just a game but do I want to torment this guy any further? We are already miles ahead in points anyway." And I let him be.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
The Dunwich Building in Fallout 3, granted not the worst; but I can't be stuffed thinking too much at the moment.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
I cant remember the name of it, I was only 6, but I remember there was a game demo where you walked through some kind of scientific facility, everything ok, just looks like an office, but then, something goes wrong and a terrifying monster throws a scientist out of a window and charges at you, that scared the shit out of me. I think its possibly the half-life demo, as I remember the zombie monster things looking like the ones in HL2.

Needless to say, it fucked me up

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The bit in Condemned: Bloodshot where you enter that room, look around for a bit and then round and a row of mannequins has appeared out of no-where, just standing in a line looking at you, and if you move further through the room, every time you look back their in a different spot or slightly closer. Jesus, I was so freaked out I sat in the room's corner aiming at them for 30 real life minutes.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Gypsy ninja pirate zombie king said:
omegawyrm said:
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way
oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.
Yep, what really puts this one over the edge is that the narrator character perceives the world in a weird sort of "reversed" way. Normal things are horrible flesh abominations that ooze blood and reek of decay, and fucked up things appear normal. So when he eats his friend, the narrator describes it as a delicious assortment of fruit snacks, but you, the reader, already know what is happening from another viewpoint, so your mind gets to fill in all the gory details. It's hard to describe just how unsettling some of the stuff in that story is. However, I do really like it because it also manages to be intensely emotionally compelling and have strong, well presented central themes which I think most horror stories sadly fail at having.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Not particularly violent or gruesome or anything like that, but that bit in Hitman: Contracts in the hotel, with the ghost in the mirror. I think it was the contrast of having something so ghoul-ey in what was otherwise quite a 'realistic' game, but its appearance also seemed so conducive with the tone of the whole thing just caught me off guard and sent shivers down my spine.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya.

Probably is the game - if a VN with a total of two choices can be considered as such - with the most relentlessly dark, depressing, and depraved themes while still maintaining serious artistic and literary merit to it. It's an absolutely fantastic lovecraftian style horror piece, but many adults will not want to - or even be able to - stomach it.

Though I'd still maintain that the abomination which ended an otherwise venerable series that was C&C 4 is a even more disturbing gaming moment.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
i'd have to go with the wall titties from duke nukem forever. or more specifically slapping them. i mean really?

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Giygas.

Especially with its backstory, and how most of us experienced him as a child.

EDIT: I just remembered. Following a radio signal in Fallout 3 with a man whose daughter is dying of radiation poisoning. Upon finding the source, I found two skeletons. One with it's head on the other's lap.

God, I love that game.

Gypsy Ninja Pirate Zombie King

What the hell am i!???
Oct 25, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya
maybe not. but eating an anime girl is just horrific. i won't be playing this game.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
It's not the most disturbing, but It's the one that pops to mind;
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/video_game_clowns_6.jpg
It's more disturbing the first time you play it and it's his death thats gonna shit you up the most
He falls on his chainsaws and dies laughing like a maniac

But Dead Rising 1 and 2 can be hilarious and disturbing in equal measure.

Also, an honourable mention goes ou to the Haf Life Poison Zombie,
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1D2Gh-FVZbE/TGRsEYkyQTI/AAAAAAAAAGc/dPGG4K9lrtY/s1600/Poison_zombie.jpg

and Fast Zombie;
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090527180416/half-life/en/images/0/00/Fast_zombie.jpg

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

/NINJA'D

Mr Baj

Jun 14, 2011
for me its quite early on in the first resident evil game, you turn a corner to find a zombie munching on some fallen dudes coin purse, then there is that really trippy cut scene when the zombie turns to look at you. I was 11 and have been afraid of homo-erotic-necrophilic-cannibalism ever since

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
Pretty much all of Bioshock.
Probably the fact that he just keeps needing to GM himself while seeing the remnants of people who did the same is the thing that got to me the most.

Cerebral Force

Jun 8, 2011
The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

Skybluedemon

Mar 3, 2011
The boss at the end of the lust level in Dante's Inferno...Toungues coming from her nipples as well as creepy baby monsters.

Wait forget that, the giant babies in Drakengard were so much worse...What is it with creepy babies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNENqC38AWY

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
Cerebral Force said:
The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!
Reminds me of "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem" for Gamecube.
That game has a lot of sanity-effects. The Blue screen of Death was one of it. Others were: Sudden black screen like during a power out; being unable to move while a group of monsters try to eat you; while trying to save the game erases your save data; the protagonists limbs start to fall off until you die; ...

Very funny. I always loved these sanity effects and never healed my sanity to enjoy those. Well the first time I played "Eternal Darkness" it was quite scary but I learned to love it :)

OT: I usually don't play disturbing games since most of them are shooters or involve shooting. Somehow I prefer the good old sword/knife/etc. That's just more personal ;)
"Galerians" (PSOne) scared me quite a bit but I was young and easily impressed and that kid was taking drugs all the time (pills or shooting them with a big syringe into his neck) and he got really head blowing while on deprivation (literally the other people's heads...well they didn't explode but they died). And the other kids (antagonists) where quite evil, too.

Persona 3 didn't impress me much after that ;D
(and I played it many years later)

"Baroque" (Wii) also had it's nasty moments (something about the NPCs) but I haven't finished that game yet and it wasn't disturbing to me either.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Silent Hill 2. Just, the entire game. If I had to say a specific part though, Pyramid Head's first appearnce.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
There was a cut scene in "Project Zero" ("Fatal Frame") i played on the original Xbox that had a girl tied to a post or something and a guy in a mask sticking a mask on her face with big spikes facing inwards through the eyes. It was a deeply disturbing experience watching a blinded girl cry on the floor, it was a tremendous piece of voice acting if i recall. I wonder if it still holds up.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Vrex360 said:
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*shutters* don't remind me.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
The Doll boss in Condemned 2 really bothered me as well as the Regenerators in Resident Evil 4. There is another game that I remember bothered me even more than those two combined but for some reason I can't remember it. Maybe I'm better off not?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
In no particular order:

- The short and brutal adventure of Mr Pinkie Finger in Heavy Rain.
- The eyeball machine in Dead Space 2.
- Some of the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat. I just don't see how I'm supposed to enjoy sadistic gore purely for its own sake.
- The death of Andrew Ryan in Bioshock.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
werefish5 said:
Just play this. It shouldn't take long.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/austinbreed/covetous
That was AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

I think there's a difference between the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a game, and the scariest thing I've ever seen in a game (which is the answer most people seem to be giving).

The most scared I've ever been in a game was the very first encounter with a hostile ghost in Fatal Frame 2. I was screaming like a small child the entire time.

The most disturbing thing? I'd have to say that one part from Condemned: Criminal Origins. School locker + dead man with his eyelids cut off + Camera + Camera's zoom function + superb timing = Me furiously shitting myself on the couch.

Seriously.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009

The Flesh Mage from Drakan: The Ancients' Gates. Basically, he tricks women into becoming his bride and skins them then uses their skin as a cloak. His 'Bridal Hall' has a pool of blood with masks that he gets the brides to wear. Eeriest moment in gaming I had on my PS2.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009

Edit:

That whole game was one of the freakier ones I played. The Apple House or whatever level was tough to play. I had to spend like 5-10 minutes preparing myself before entering the basement. :(

I don't think I've ever been "disturbed" as in offended by games before. I'm hard to bother, but Condemned and the hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines made me put down the game for a bit in pants wetting horror.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Javarock said:
bussinrounds said:

Fixed it for you

OT: I never really have had a scary moment in gameing, Then again I tend not to play scary games. However if I were to say the "Scareist" I would say in daggerfall with the skeletons they scared the shit out of me.
Javarock said:
bussinrounds said:

Fixed it for you

I think this might be the best one at 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LwaLHz5Xk

How do you embed these vids here anyways ?

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
That scene in Red Dead Redemption.
You know the one.
It was so subtle I didn't know what I was looking at for a second.

benylor

May 30, 2009
There's a flash game called One Chance. It's one of those games which saves your progress permanently - you can only ever play it once. This game triggered an existential crisis and brought my depression on for around a week. I still get very bad vibes from contemplating it.

I'm not exaggerating, I wish I'd never played it now. I'll link it, as it's what the topic is demanding, but it's up to you to decide whether to play it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009

Edit:

D'awww, I was going to say that.

Well, all of Condemned is creepy and disturbing.

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
well the tails dolls made me sleep with my bible for about two nights... oh wait i forgot the link. http://www.quackerandbowen.com/sonicr.html (here the challenge start around six or seven and start reading all the collection then go to sleep) :D sweet dreams. this isn't game related but a good horror read would be the holder on dramatica.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Andy03 said:
The scariest thing I've play would probably be "Afraid of Monsters". It's a Half-life 1 mod.
I got sick of that Mod a ways in. Genuinely scary at points to begin with, but then it just got annoying as hell, especially when the zombies went invisible.

Nightmare House 2 (a Mod for HL2) does a much better job, I think, and actually manages a decent version of the mannequin scene from Condemned. Plus there's that hall with the shadows... eugh.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I never thought dead space 2 was exactly scary but the concept of child necromorphs disturbed me from the start but when I want through the pre-school section it was down right depressing. Especially that bit where that delusional woman calls over one of those exploding kids.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I'd got a trial of Postal 2, just testing the keys and I was like YAY CAT walk up to it to see what I could do and he picks it up and fits on the end of his gun o_O

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Meh, none really stick with me.

I suppose the needle scene from The Suffering was pretty fucked up.

Those Manhunt executions are AWESOME.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
CM156 said:

EDIT: Oh, and that one part at the end of Fable 2. With all the dead bodies and that music box.
I rather liked the part at the end of Fable 2, I thought it was meant to mimic a sort of subconscious state of regret or loss of innocence. It had an emotional impact on me to say the least.

OT: The new Mortal Combat is kind of disturbing. I mean, I've never seen someone's head come off that way... D=

Edit: Oh yea, there are some disturbing scenes in Metro 2033 and there is that disturbing trailer for one of the STALKER games where it was from the view of an infrared camera on a helicopter as it watches a guy get chased down and torn apart by monsters.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
GLaDos from Portal. I just felt uncomfortable with her around.

Half Life 2: Ravenholm creeped the hell out of me. Just the atmosphere.

Fort Frolic from Bioshock. I don't know why, I just HATE manniquins. Reason why I won't play Condemned or Silent Hill.

Mar 28, 2011
Silent Hill 4

You're in your apartment during the hauntings and you can hear something faint. You don't know where it's coming from so you search around, holy candle in hand. You eventually narrow it down to the kitchen area, but you can't see anything wrong.
Then you hear the noise again.
It's coming from the fridge.
You nervously open the door and you see...

A Cat.
Still alive.
With no skin.

Dude...

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
The ending of Episode 2.

You just get to realize that you're not the only one that knows about the G-Man and maybe there's some kind of hope for you and Eli to break free from him permanently and stop his plotting.

And then that hope is stripped away minutes later.

Credits roll.

Zap Rowsdower

Jun 24, 2010
On Fallout 3, I once entered some random Vault. Halfway through my excursion, the lights turned pink and I saw a whole bunch of doctors walking around. The other half was me running out at top speed.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Most disturbing thing I ever saw was that scene out of Homefront. Right near the start where you're riding the bus and see a kids parents try to calm their infant son down before having the shit shot out them. That was the only thing I've seen in years that made my heart sink and that's the only interesting thing about that travesty of a game.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Vrex360 said:

"Come to Mumma!"

First time I saw that, I laughed so hard, then genuinely felt ashamed of myself.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009

Edit:

http://arch.413chan.net/THEHORROR-%28n1293483859649%29.png
Those are not mannequins, they are fuckin' Weeping Angels!

OT: Well I bought RDR shortly after release and got a bit surprised by Seth. If you know what I mean...

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Noclip into Glibert Alexanders tank in Bioshock 2 and you WILL shit so many bricks that you can build a mansion.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
pyrosaw said:
GLaDos from Portal. I just felt uncomfortable with her around.

Half Life 2: Ravenholm creeped the hell out of me. Just the atmosphere.

Fort Frolic from Bioshock. I don't know why, I just HATE manniquins. Reason why I won't play Condemned or Silent Hill.
Did you use the power-to-the-people machine in Sinclair Spirits?

After you use it a manniquine will appear behind you and come alive when you get close...
Then all the other ones are gone...

Sometimes when you turn around some of them will stand there, and if you get to close they will come alive and attack like spider splicers.

But only after you use the machine.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
benylor said:
There's a flash game called One Chance. It's one of those games which saves your progress permanently - you can only ever play it once. This game triggered an existential crisis and brought my depression on for around a week. I still get very bad vibes from contemplating it.

I'm not exaggerating, I wish I'd never played it now. I'll link it, as it's what the topic is demanding, but it's up to you to decide whether to play it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181
That was a really good game, thought wise. My first ending wasn't the greatest, but I was satisfied with how it turned out. I did what I thought was right to do.
I actually found a way to "reset" the game, that I won't share, and tried out a few different paths. None are more heart wrenching the first time however.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
One Word: Giygas.

JasonKaotic said:
Giygas from Earthbound is creepy too. Although the whole "LOOK HOW SCARY GIYGAS IS, ARE YOU READY, HERE HE COMES, ARE YOU SCARED NOW, LOOK HOW SCARY HE IS" thing before the fight kind of killed the creepiness. Like, a lot.
You have a point, but when you're 11 years old you're too scared to notice!
By the way, I think they made Pokey say that just to tell you you can't run away from this fight, because IIRC you could run away from bosses.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Pandora from Revelations: Persona is a good example. Eeuughh. Giygas from Earthbound is creepy too. Although the whole "LOOK HOW SCARY GIYGAS IS, ARE YOU READY, HERE HE COMES, ARE YOU SCARED NOW, LOOK HOW SCARY HE IS" thing before the fight kind of killed the creepiness. Like, a lot.

ayailla

Forever invading Himuro mansion
Jul 14, 2009
thetruefallen said:
There was a cut scene in "Project Zero" ("Fatal Frame") i played on the original Xbox that had a girl tied to a post or something and a guy in a mask sticking a mask on her face with big spikes facing inwards through the eyes. It was a deeply disturbing experience watching a blinded girl cry on the floor, it was a tremendous piece of voice acting if i recall. I wonder if it still holds up.
That was fairly disturbing, and yes, it does hold up.
The whole idea of that blinding ritual was just disturbing as hell, and then having the freaky ***** chase you around the mansion for the best part of an ENTIRE FREAKIN' CHAPTER was bad enough.

For me, the most disturbing part of that game was finding the photographs of the kids being dragged away by the long armed ghost. That was just... very unsettling.

EdHaag

Jun 15, 2011
For me, there's no contest. Definately the second level of Hitman: Contracts. The fact that there's a drug-fueled orgy/party going on in the middle of a *slaughterhouse* with dead animal carcasses all over the place was bad enough, but then you reach your target's inner sactum/shrine, and I nearly wanted to throw up. It was the only time I ever almost quit playing a game solely by how disturbed I was by it.

I'm glad I did evetually continue with the game, because none of the later levels were anywhere near that bad, but what an opening.