The most OP Bosses in existence?

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
Bloody Marie from Skullgirls. Some characters get through it no problem, but others can't do a damn thing. It's a very broken fight. Also Hazama from BlazBlu Continuum. Hmm... one that's not from a fighting game. Ozma from Final Fantasy IX. Even after you drop all his super duper defenses, he's still really freakin tough.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Boost Guardian in Metroid Prime: Echoes on expert mode.

You take constant damage from the atmosphere and if he hits you while boosting around like a pinball on crack... well, better make sure he doesn't.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Esotera said:
I suppose if you count Hunters in Halo as bosses, they can be insanely overpowered if you play with all the skulls and highest difficulty.
A GRUNT IS OP WITH ALL THE SKULLS ON

NOTHING on youtube shows how difficult this boss fight is correctly. Awesome song tho.

I second Elizabeth Greene from [PROTOTYPE] and the DX:HR bosses as well

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
This little asshat (Gaul's Advisor in Legend of Spyro: Enternal Night (GBA)) just comes out of nowhere whenever he pleases and ramps it up to 11. He'll wreck you if you're slow and slap you if you're not percise. Plus, he shows up three times.

Rathial

Nov 24, 2011
The Goddess Secret boss from Crisis Core.

I don't know why exactly you randomly decide to murder the goddess of the planet, but she makes it almost impossible to do so. Every one of her attacks instantly kill you and some are unblockable.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Elezibeth from persona 3 . I count this as the hardest boss in any game ever . Not tomention it's a one on one fight.

Demi-friend from devil digital saga . Fuck you pixie .

Lucifer from Nocturne .

Hmmm coincidence that all three of these are from shin megami tensei games... I think not .

Oh and wesker from UMVC3 .

Jan 13, 2012
baddude1337 said:
I'll second the Deus Ex HR bosses, if only because they just don't fit the game at all. You can be stealthing it up when all of a sudden you are forced to take down some teleporting ninja ***** with insane health who can kill you in a matter of seconds. God help those who didn't have at least some upgrades to combat.
All you have to do is spam typhoon like your life depended on it.

OT: Sephiroth from KH2. Not hard once you work a rhythm on him but he can pretty much kill you in one hit.

Humble Grapefruit

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly, Koga in the Elite Four in Pokemon Gold/Silver with his Muk. Minimize. Minimize. Minimize. Minimize. Minimize. Minimize. Over and over and over. The battle took so long, it got to the point where I just wanted all of my Pokemon would faint so I could stop the battle.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
I've only got two that spring to mind at the moment: Crawmerax The Invincible from Borderlands and Dullahan(sp?)from Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Crawmerax was OP because unless you had at least one other person with you or were playing as Lilith with a very specific weapon and skill build, he was just going to stomp your face in. Even then if you knew what you were doing it was like a 10-20 minute fight depending on if he felt like showing off his giant purple fuck-me-here lights or not. Did I mention he is always something like 7 levels higher than you and has redonkulous amounts of health per fuck-me-here light? Because that's a factor too. He's also the only reliable way to get access to the really, REALLY good end-game weapons.

Dullahan was OP because he's one of those optional JRPG bosses that guards one of the uber-items of the game, and therefore is completely impossible to beat if you've just been playing the game normally:

To even have a shot at beating him you have to be something like 20 levels higher than you need to be to beat the final boss of the game, and even then your chances are pretty fucking slim. This asshole not only heals 200HP (which is a fair amount in GS) and 50PP (Also a fair amount) per turn, but he gets to make three moves per one of his turns, has no less than 3 insta-kill moves, 2 moves that either reduced one party member to their most basic abilities or your entire party to their most basic abilities (basically the "I win" button for bosses), a move that drains multiple party members HP to be absorbed by him, and he can pull the second most powerful summon in the game out of his ass on a whim. This is all on top of his normal, not-total bullshit attacks that still hit like a train to the face. The biggest dick move though was that even if you managed to beat him, the reward (while obscenely powerful) was a summon that was:

A)a giant pain in the ass to set up, because it required something like 9 Fire Djinn and 3 or 4 Water Djinn, meaning you either had to have this summon prepped beforehand or the fight you were on was taking way too damn long (and frankly if you've beaten Dullahan to get the summon no fight should take long ever again).

B)impractical as all hell because setting it up and using it, while the hit was huge, left your party gimped until the Djinn finally stopped basking in the post-summon afterglow and reactivated, because the Djinn determine what powers and abilities you have more than your level does!

C)completely goddamn pointless because you just BEAT the hardest ************ in the game to get the summon, meaning you've likely reached a point where you can traipse around the world and roflstomp everything you see with impunity!

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Yaazmat from Final Fantasy 12, because he has stupid amount of HP, meaning the fight is stupid long, and if you screw up, he kills you, and you have to start fight over.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Magaki from King of Fighters XI. He throws fireballs at you relentlessly, which is fine and all, but eventually they start coming from behind? How is anyone supposed to block all this? Plus he has a reflect/anti-rush thing and his super move hits everywhere on-screen for crazy damage.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I hate to bring World of Warcraft into this, but the first one that always comes to mind is Yogg-Saron, Heroic mode. He was the last boss of one of the first raids introduced in Wrath of the Lich King, and to this day (excusing my lack of experience with newer raids - I quit) I still think his fight on heroic mode was one of the most, if not the most challenging of any encounter I faced.

Here's a video of the fight (not mine), as my accompanying description of the encounter below is quite long winded; I actually enjoyed recounting the specifics of it a little too much.
So, first of - Phase one: You've got this round room, with this unattackable 'avatar' standing in the middle casting all sorts of nasty stuff at the group (debuffs increasing the damage you take, dotting you with something that'll kill you twice over if not healed, etc).

The only way to defeat the avatar is to kill about 10 or so tentacle beasts that spawn at increasing rates. Not so bad you say? Well, there are gas clouds moving erratically around the room; if anyone touches one, it'll immediately spawn another tentacle beast. This wouldn't be so difficult, if not for the fact that they will stand and cast things that reduce the amount of healing the group takes by 25%, on top of the fact when they do die, they inflict massive damage to anyone nearby. It's a test of coordination (dragging the half dead mobs to the avatar so they can die there, avoiding clouds, interrupting etc).

So, phase one is fun, but now you have phase two: During this phase, the actual boss appears. The only thing visible above ground is the tip of his head, and a fair amount of tentacles. You still can't damage the boss directly, so first off you have the large tentacles: These guys continually channel an ability that reduces the damage everyone does by 20% and it stacks. The only way to stop the cast is to go in and melee the tentacle. The problem with this? Every single attack done to a large tentacle enrages it, to the point where they will do about 300% more damage, and attack 300% faster. They have no ranged attack (thank goodness), but in order to stop the debuff, you'll still need someone to run in and melee... Here's hoping they don't get whacked...

So then the little tentacles; these guys are fun. There are a wicked amount of them spread throughout the room, and they're all busy casting away. They'll slow your attack and movement speeds, they'll put a dot on you that can and will kill you if not dispelled within 12 seconds, they can poison you with enough potency to leave you stunned every 2 seconds. On top of this they also do lingering damage that will drain your mana. (Very necessary for healers to function).

Well, we're still not done with tentacles. Now you've got constrictor tentacles, which do exactly as the name states: They appear out of the blue and wrap around someone inflicting insane damage every second until that person is released. Not so bad if the whole group is nearby, but that rarely happens.

So, tentacles are fun, but you remember that 'avatar' back from phase one? Yeah, she's back, and unattackable. But she's going to have her way with you anyway. So, she'll randomly do unavoidable damage to players, spawn this giant laser beam that MUST be avoided by everyone (for the sake of your health), and then the really gritty stuff: She'll randomly fear a group member (make them run off uncontrollably). Not so bad in itself, but when fear wears off, if there was another group member nearby, the fear jumps to them. On top of that, you've got Brain Link. A link appears between two players in the room, they have to run to each other as fast as possible, as the link won't disappear until they do, and they're taking damage as long as they're up linked. This is especially fun if someone is linked to another caught in a constrictor tentacle across the room.

Okay, so lots of damage going out. Priority initially is to kill tentacles (they respawn), but then the actual boss (tip of the head thing) will spawn 10 portals around his head (in a 25 man raid), which have to be entered as soon as possible. This also has to be coordinated before the encounter starts, so everyone is ready to get to their portal without wasting any time.

So you thought getting out of that hell whole of a room was nice? Think again. Inside the 'Brain Room' as it were, you have to kill more tentacles. These guys look meek, but for every bit of damage you do to them, they do 60% of it back to you, so you have to pace yourself so the healer can keep up. Not to mention, as you're running around this room trying to kill the tentacles, there are also these ghostly skulls (unattackable) hanging around. If your character looks at one - literally faces a skull - they take damage, AND lose sanity (more on that later).
So, you've got the tentacles inside down, good, but you only have 60 seconds total inside the brain room, and the tentacles aren't even your priority. Once they are all dead, a door opens up revealing Yogg-Saron's brain. This is the time where everyone goes all out doing as much damage as possible to it. When you've got about 15-5 seconds left on the timer, you have to take a portal back to the main room. If you don't? Well, you're teleported back, but you've been mindcontrolled, turned against the group, and made to do 100% more damage, alongside a buff of 300% health. These people MUST be killed, and they cannot be revived later during the fight, as they will just return to being mind controlled.

This whole phase repeats itself internally until the brain is down to 30% health. If you don't get it that low within about two Brain Room encounters (I think it was 2, maybe 3?) then you're in some serious trouble by that point.

So now you've moved onto phase three: Yogg exposes more of his head in one direction and the party needs to move to stand in front of him. During this phase, any leftover tentacles from phase 2 still exist, which can really, really hurt. As well, you've now got the mobile tentacle beasts from phase one spawning and doing their own thing: The more health they have, the more damage they do, so having multiple of them spawning is painful for the tanks and healers. They also drain life (which can be interrupted) which restores a decent amount. On top of this, Yogg is also empowering any of them which are within 20 meters of him - regenerating their health at a quick pace to the point where if more than one or two are hit with this at a time, it can be devastating for the group.
The fun thing here also, is when you're doing heroic mode Yogg-Saron, you're not getting outside help like you do in regular mode. So in normal mode, a beneficial avatar is present that would kill any tentacle beast that's at 1% health. If you're doing heroic, the beasts do no die. So someone has to tank all the beasts and keep them far enough away from the boss so they do not recieve buffs. It's easy to get upwards of 10 of them on the tank. (If I recall correctly).

So when the tentacle beasts are under control, (they don't stop spawning however) the raid focuses on attacking Yogg-Saron himself. He doesn't target anyone specifically, but every 12 seconds, he'll cast lunatic gaze. This will only affect someone that is starring at Yogg when he casts it, it reduces sanity dramatically and does damage.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, about sanity: at the start of the encounter everyone in the raid obtains an unremovable debuff called Sanity. Throughout the entire fight, this sanity meter (which starts at 100) is going down. Nearly any enemy attack that does damage reduces sanity. Looking at Yogg, the avatar's attacks, tentacles, etc. If you get to 0 sanity, you become mind controlled. This is the same as if you don't exit the Brain Room quickly enough. The only way to get sanity back is if you stand in the light beam one of the beneficial avatars puts out in the room. Now... on heroic, she's not around. So every single point of sanity counts.

-----------------------------------------------

So you've got avoiding gas clouds and blowing up avatars down, you can kill tentacles and bash brains till you're red in the face, you can handle the debuffs, sanity loss and insane amount of tentacle beasts in phase three.... Now what do you face?
An enrage timer of 15 minutes.

Yeah.. I hate Yogg.

(But hey, getting that boss down was probably the most satisfying thing I ever experienced in WoW, and I would gladly go back just for fights like that.)

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Esotera said:

He takes far too long to kill.
He is ridiculously easy if you know the game well enough. You can use Lift, Stasis or Singularity or any combination of them to keep him immobile and unable to fight back for the entire battle. Or simply use Immunity and he cannot kill you. On Insanity.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Ornstein and Smough of Dark Souls and The Four Kings of the same game.

Those are the only Boss Battles I recall in recent gaming that had me outright frustrated.

The closest any other game has come was the boss at the end of the House of Ballads questline in Kingdoms of Amalur, but that was because I probably went into that far too early and was constantly being swarmed by the barrage of enemies she summons.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Shao Kahn from 'Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3'. Still one of the most difficult boss encounters I can recall.

More recently, I'm finding a lot of the stages/cities/areas in 'Atom Zombie Smasher' to be rather bothersome. I know it doesn't really count as a boss fight or anything like that, but it's difficult nevertheless.

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Gabriel in Star Ocean: The Second Story when you take the limiter off. Doesn't help that there is a chance you can take the limiter off without knowing it... Then you need to reach level 120 to even have a chance. :I

Oh and possessed Zack in Birth By Sleep is a major pain.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Any of the Arc System Works fighting game bosses, including all the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games.