The Movie Nerd Bible: Part II

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Movie Nerd Bible: Part II

The second half of Movie Bob's list of movies that every self-respecting nerd should have seen.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Would you believe that I actually have seen the obscure "Big Trouble in Little China", but somehow have NEVER seen the Star Wars trilogy?

Well, actually, I saw them when I was 6-8, but it's hard to appreciate a movie at that age. So, basically, I've never seen them.

I will now rectify all of these things by filling my Netflix queue for the next few months with all of the movies in your 2 part series.

Neuphim

Apr 15, 2009
Fairly good list. I personally saw a good chuck of it, though there are a few I have seen that I must reveiw again (like Ghostbusters and Legend).

As well, for everyone else, I'd make a few suggestions: Brazil (1985), the Monty Python films, Time Bandit, Solaris, This is Spinal Tap and the Princess Bride (seriously, how is THAT one not on there?)

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Great List. Big Trouble in Little China has a special place in my childhood. Love that movie.

Rorkes Drift

Jul 28, 2010
I think the only movie on that list I haven't seen is Legend lol. Here's the problem: you titled this list "1977 to today", yet your list ends without touching on ANY movies from 1990-present. I don't think Total Recall, The Matrix, or Watchmen would feel very happy about that...Otherwise, superb list (although I would say that Star Trek II and VI were the best in the series, but to each his own!)

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Is Big Trouble in Little China really that obscure? I grew up with that movie and have met plenty of people who have seen it.

That DC animated universe he mentions is something any superhero fan should look at, it's really really cool (especially the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series).

There exists an episode where Cthulhu attacks earth, that should be enough for all of you.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
legend forge said:
That DC animated universe he mentions is something any superhero fan should look at, it's really really cool (especially the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series).

There exists an episode where Cthulhu attacks earth, that should be enough for all of you.
Not if he gets beaten, it isn't!

Hard to have cosmic horror when metahumans can fly and smash mountains.

On topic, I was hoping for 'The Thing', by John Carpenter. I know, you said you'd put all of them there if you could, but this one for me stands out as one of the best examples of paranoia/xenophobia ever in a movie. All of the 'doppleganger- style horror and suspense movies' that came after really have to tip their hats to it. A polymorphic whodunit that takes itself VERY seriously, and makes you question your evidence of who's who even after several viewings- if you can stomach several viewings!

None the less, a great article.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah! I've seen every movie on this list.

Neuphim said:
As well, for everyone else, I'd make a few suggestions: Brazil (1985), the Monty Python films, Time Bandit, Solaris, This is Spinal Tap and the Princess Bride (seriously, how is THAT one not on there?)
Totally agree with these additional suggestions - they're all pretty fundamental parts of the movie geek canon (hell, you can tell just by how many lines of dialogue from MP & PB get tossed around all the time). I would also add Neverending Story (the male version of Labyrinth).

Oh, and the comments in the article about Labyrinth are right on - the sexual subtext (both in terms of gender politics and actual sex) of that movie is eye-opening. The masquerade scene, an allegorical representation of a pubescent girl's fascination and confusion with adult sexuality, is trippy.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Surprised there was no monty python on there. I have seen a few of these movies so now its time to check out some more of these. Also, why wasn't Alien 3 on that list? It is on par with Alien and alot better then Aliens. It took the Alien back to what made it good.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Neuphim said:
Fairly good list. I personally saw a good chuck of it, though there are a few I have seen that I must reveiw again (like Ghostbusters and Legend).

Solaris was on the list last time, but none the less I agree. No Terminator 1 & 2 seems brizzare, plus I would have changed Big Trouble for The Thing. Not just a fantastic suspenseful film that leaves its audience guessing all the time and induces a sense of real paranoia and fear in it's audience that I haven't seen done better than the Blair Witch Project (should also be on the list in my opinion); but also truely pionering in it's use of physical special effects and one of the most shocking monster reveals I've ever seen.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
Whoa. What about all the Akira Kurosawa classics? Without The Hidden Fortress we don't have Star Wars. Without Yojimbo we don't have westerns. Half of the techniques and shots used in modern films are more or less derived from Kurosawa/Mifune films. No one could call them a film nerd without seeing at least one of his films.