The Movie Nerd Bible: Part II

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
again ive been able to see a fair but of the list...yay I am such a nerd!!! ...Yay? lol

But, they are good films, I will admit

inkfool

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for including dune i love that so called failure a couple other awesome mainsteam failures are circle of iron (the silent flute)where david carridine stole yet another role from bruce lee. well not really lee had abandoned the project then died, tooko from the good the bad and the ugly was in it and david carradine played 3 roles. also christopher lee was in it too.

now texas chainsaw fanatics will hate me for saying this but texas chainsaw massacre the next generation is a bad texas chainsaw movie but matthew mcconaughey's vilmer was one of the most delightful and quotable villians of all time. the movie is packed with hilariously bad acting and writing but mcconaughey sells it like a pro.

anyone thats loves watching dune should check those two out. if you're one of those snooty types that can't appretiate a "bad" movie don't bother

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I got to see Big Trouble in Little China on the big screen again recently, and it is still awesome.

ahpuch said:
If you are trying to say that these movies "un-ghetoized" the genres of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror, I don't buy it. Some of those movies were failures that put the genres at risk (Legend, Flash Gordon, Dune) and Comedies (Ghost busters) that don't prove anything about the genre they are using or mocking as those are about the humor and not the setting, IMHO. In the meantime, movies that actually moved the genre like Close Encounters, Princess Bride, and Terminator are left off the list.
I think the recent string of (mostly) successful comic book movies, starting with X-Men in 1999, is a good indicator that the movie industry will--with rare exceptions--not do justice to a genre until the actual fans who grew up on that genre are making the movies.

One of film's first big genres was the Western, which had been a cornerstone of American pop culture since the dime novels of the late 1800s. The pulp tales and serials of the 30s, 40s and 50s weren't "legitimized" by Hollywood standards until Lucas and Spielberg started making films in the late 70s/early 80s.

Now we're getting decent comic book movies 30-40 years after the Silver Age. So while I may agree with you many of the films on this list were commercial flops or dismissed as hokey comedies, I'd argue the fans who enjoyed them as kids are writing and directing successful genre films in Hollywood today.

We're about 15 years away from when the original PlayStation mainstreamed gaming as a hobby for adolescents and young adults (as opposed to stuff for geeks and children). I'm guessing in 5-10 years we'll finally see that awesome film that legitimizes video game movies as a genre.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Blue-State said:
I'm Surprised that I have actually seen most of these movies.
I LOVE Patrick Stewart but...
I liked the Scifi Channel's Dune Saga better Okay!?
*flame shield activated*
I don't think either version did a good job adapting the book, but Sci-Fi's at least hangs together better as a movie.

One thing I appreciate both versions of Dune for: some of the most creative costume designs of any sci-fi movie. Most other SF films seem to go overly utilitarian or overly hokey with their costuming, but the Dune productions are still great depictions of corrupt space feudalism brushing up against noble space Saracens. The only film that beats them in this category is The Fifth Element.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
MovieBob said:
The Movie Nerd Bible: Part II

The second half of Movie Bob's list of movies that every self-respecting nerd should have seen.

Read Full Article
I know you said that you had to leave some things out, and that's cool. I feel that both The Excorcist, and The Thing (80's version) are both worthy mentionables. Even though The Thing stole a page from Alien in it's mood & context.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Blue-State said:
*flame shield activated*
Onyx Oblivion said:
I will now rectify all of these things by filling my Netflix queue for the next few months with all of the movies in your 2 part series.
Me to.
And If you're doing a part 3 Bob, might I recommend The Color of Magic directed Vadim Jean. I seriously think EVERYONE should see that movie. It's my Second Hand Lions of Scifi fantasy
Sci Fi's version was great... except for the costume design. If you were to take the costumes from the movie and put it on the Sci Fi channel version, I would've been much happier. The terrible costumes honestly distracted me from the actual storyline. And I'm a rabid dune fan (own every single Dune book except 1 atm). So sadpanda. In fact, I found Children of Dune much better than Dune simply because of the costumes not being so damn FLAMBOYANT.

OT: Total Recall! I mean, c'mon! But total yay for Big Trouble In Little China. I just bought that in the bargain bin for like a buck lol. Best deal ever!

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Batsamaritan said:
Falseprophet said:
Blue-State said:
*flame shield activated*
I don't think either version did a good job adapting the book, but Sci-Fi's at least hangs together better as a movie.

One thing I appreciate both versions of Dune for: some of the most creative costume designs of any sci-fi movie. Most other SF films seem to go overly utilitarian or overly hokey with their costuming, but the Dune productions are still great depictions of corrupt space feudalism brushing up against noble space Saracens. The only film that beats them in this category is The Fifth Element.
On a seperate not to my overly long trek rant, I always felt that lynches dune, while massively flawed, had the better set design, actors and the best Harkonnens. I've always felt that taking the best of lynches dune and sci-fin channels dune might create the perfect dune live action.
This this this! The Harkonenns in the tv mini series were just.....wrong. Meh. Watered down villains. Not enough venom and spite!

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Neuphim said:
Fairly good list. I personally saw a good chuck of it, though there are a few I have seen that I must reveiw again (like Ghostbusters and Legend).

As well, for everyone else, I'd make a few suggestions: Brazil (1985), the Monty Python films, Time Bandit, Solaris, This is Spinal Tap and the Princess Bride (seriously, how is THAT one not on there?)
Yes! Monty Python! Of course!

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I have to echo the sentiments about the Terminator-- the first one, at least, if not both.

That said, I was deeply gratified to see Big Trouble in Little China on there-- I still quote that movie often.
"Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?"
"Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!"

And I know that we tend to remember the recent past better, but still, you should've had some post-2000 films in there, Bob.

Oh, and bonus points for people- like myself- who actually have seen the Alan Smithee version of Dune...

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
Batsamaritan said:
mostly great movie bob but i'm gonna call you out over jj abrahams star trek, a much needed shot in the arm for a franchise that had withered and died.

O.k Warth of kahn is an excellent trek movie, the search for spock had its moments but star trek 4 was where the rot set in for me, sorry but its the point in the whole trek franchise the touchy-feely pc idiots got hold of the franchise and pretty much ruined it. Its the whole crappy attempt at utopian sci-fi that drove fans such as myself away from trek after tolerating next generation onwards. Even with the greatest captain of the series kirk, 4 represented a massive drop in quality the whole franchise never really recovered from...
honestly, i'd put IV ahead of III, because at least Voyage Home works as a comedy, whether that was intentional or not.

but you're right Bob, III and IV were so much better, not to mention higher concept than Abrams Trek. you know, as much as i love Simon Pegg, he kept going for the "take this character seriously route" from Khan as opposed to the hilarious "clumsy fat fuckwit" version of Scotty from III and IV. and Abrams Trek needed more Klingon Space Rottweilers.

seriously though, if your intention is to contrast "good Trek" against Abrams Trek, next time try not to pick one of the worst or the lot next to the TNG movies(III) and the fucking self-parody entry(IV). it's like bitching that Amelie is racist naive tripe and then citing Twilight as a bastion of cultural understanding and depth. even if your first argument had merit, you've destroyed that merit utterly with your follow-up.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Ne1butme said:
I would replace Big Trouble with The Thing. But still a good list.
Really he should have just put one entry for the John Carpenter films from '76-92, now considering i have seen everything on this list and the vast majority of the previous list i should think that qualifies me as a movie geek and John Carpenter was really the first director i became aware of as a kid, thats gotta count for something, right?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Dune? Really? You're encouraging people to seek this movie out? If you can handle the hate mail, go ahead, I guess.

Otherwise, I'm kind of surprised (and a little proud) to say that I've actually seen every movie on the list.

I already own most of them, but I wish Lucas would re-release pre-s.e. Star Wars on DVD or BluRay... I refuse to buy the s.e. when I've got pre-s.e. on VHS, but it really is starting to look like hell after so many viewings. It's pretty much the only reason I still own a VHS player, though. That and Crazy People.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
For Star Trek..you missed "The Undiscovered Country" ...Christopher Plummer bringing in some Shakespeare - a brilliant mixing and after the wrath of khan - easily the most brilliant and bold of the movies.

As for Labyrinth...
"One of the scandalously few geek classics that approaches the "fear of growing up" fantasy/allegory subgenre from the female side. After accidentally wishing away her baby brother, Jennifer Connelly must navigate a monster-infested maze to save him from goblin king Jareth - aka David Bowie. Everything from the recurrent themes of maternal obligation to the implicit sexualization of the heroine/villain dynamic is wholly unique in the genre, and it's both amazing and depressing that there hasn't really been a film since to so well explore what it is to be both a nerd and a young woman."

Perhaps this explains why this movie is SOOOOOOOOOO boring.

Yes, I am a plebe.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
.......are we leaving out the 90's? As a kid of the nineties (3-13) i'd like to say that decade and it's products set the stage for the geek i am today. Is there a part 3 or are we just gonna skip 1990-2010 because you would have to put all of the matrix trilogy and star wars episode 1-3 in there and that sticks in your throat. god knows you'd make up for it with every pixar movie ever released.

sorry i'm getting ahead of myself thses are movies that we should see and probably haven't and as geeks now we've seen most of the 90's movies.