The New Shiny Escapist

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Ok, I've been gone for three months and the layout is different when I come back. Oh well, looks like other people are already annoyed, so I'll just try to get used to it.

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Are we actually getting warnings over these things? Because I'd hate to get banned because of a glitch.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Hey all, sorry about the forum oddities today. I've been working on rewriting the thread/group view function all day, as that one query was about 30% of the database load. Things seem much better now, although there's many more queries that I need to beat into submission to make the site really fast.

At least there shouldn't be slowdown during non peak hours for a while. :)

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Phlakes said:
Glitch in the code? Or fucking time travel? I think in all the time Kross was not feeding the hamsters he was building a time machine.
My plan is to make a time dilation driver for the database. I figure if I can let queries run in their own time loop, then I don't have to care how slow they are!

My problem is getting them to return from the tesseract function after the query completes... They take literally forever to exit currently. :(

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Kross said:
Hey all, sorry about the forum oddities today. I've been working on rewriting the thread/group view function all day, as that one query was about 30% of the database load. Things seem much better now, although there's many more queries that I need to beat into submission to make the site really fast.

At least there shouldn't be slowdown during non peak hours for a while. :)
So it was YOUR fault! >.>

I suppose i can forgive you...this one time >.>

Hehe i kid xD least we know something happening! can you tell us what's happening with the colours...im still getting blinded and it doesn't help that i have just woke up...The brightness kills :|

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Kross said:
Phlakes said:
Glitch in the code? Or fucking time travel? I think in all the time Kross was not feeding the hamsters he was building a time machine.
My plan is to make a time dilation driver for the database. I figure if I can let queries run in their own time loop, then I don't have to care how slow they are!

My problem is getting them to return from the tesseract function after the query completes... They take literally forever to exit currently. :(
Hmm, maybe if you shunt the reality compensators, recalibrate the doomsday pumpers and jettison the karaoke bar then you may have more luck (cookie for reference :D ).

I'm seeing posts dated from 1969, images for articles stretched beyond recognition, posts not appearing at all and a whole bunch of other spacey wacey..... stuff.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
If you click on the Join the Publishers club link the graphics are messed up and the font is white on white at the top. Also, shouldn't the join link be hidden if Im already in the pub club?

Hamhawk

Aug 31, 2009
The funny coincidence with this whole fiasco (yes, this redesign is a fiasco, not quite to netflix/qwickster proportions or debit card fees, but along the same vein) is that I really was debating about joining the publishers club so I could see Yahtzee on my iPad. Now, however.. I can not view this site on my iPad without blinding myself or manually turning down the brightness. I guess I will not join now seeing how responsive the staff is to complaints and problems. I do not believe you deserve my hard earned cash.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
OK, more than the blinding background (just try blue... it doesn't bother me THAT much but it's not exactly appealling), I'm frusrated by this trend I've been noticing. See, (sarcasm mode: ON) you may not have noticed, but the URL for this website AND the name of the website happens to be Escapist Magazine. Did you notice that second word there? No, no. It's fine. Go look for yourself, you'll never believe me otherwise. Not only has there not been a new issue in... hang on...

OK, nevermind. I can't actually find the actual magazine archives anymore. That doesn't give anyone else pause for thought? Weren't these videos and webcomics coming in as a supplement to the slick and thoughtful articles that comprised each issue? It's almost Christmastime again, and regardless of your feeling about the whole holiday season the Escapist used to have a monstrous holiday issue every year. What are the chances of that happening this year?

I have to get this off my chest, because honestly Escapist (staff), with debacle after debacle like this you're making it very, very hard to love you.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I've almost stopped using this site completely now after the new changes..
I do not like them at all, just seems like such a mess and clutter..

I do believe they have downgraded themselves massively.. This is terrible..

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
The new site is an absolute mess...agreed with above poster.

I hardly come come here now, people need to learn that sometimes 'upgrades' aren't needed.

It wasn't broke, it didn't need fixed.

Mediteral

Apr 15, 2009
I like how much people complain about site changes when nothing has really changed. Still works just as fine as ever. (BTW by 'Like' i mean 'think it's stupid')

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Hamhawk said:
The funny coincidence with this whole fiasco (yes, this redesign is a fiasco, not quite to netflix/qwickster proportions or debit card fees, but along the same vein) is that I really was debating about joining the publishers club so I could see Yahtzee on my iPad. Now, however.. I can not view this site on my iPad without blinding myself or manually turning down the brightness. I guess I will not join now seeing how responsive the staff is to complaints and problems. I do not believe you deserve my hard earned cash.
You would rather them respond to EVERY SINGLE REUEST than to work on the problem while responding to a select few?

Priorities...sort them out :p

swatmajor1

Gimme 5 Minutes!
Jan 3, 2008
I think a new article acknowledging the issues people are having, as well as what they are going to fix the issues and/or what they will be leaving alone would be a good for PR.

Doesn't take that much effort really...

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This font is just horrible. Anyone got a greasemonkey script to replace it?

http://i.imgur.com/YRbNJ.png [http://i.imgur.com/YRbNJ.png]

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Not a fan if I'm honest...is there a way to view it in the original mode?
I also hate how on the forums it's just white background...