The New Shiny Escapist

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I quite like it.

It feels more streamlined, and accessible (although I've seen that called 'dumbed-down' more times than I could count), and more jam-packed with content. I think that some people calling it cluttered and needlessly complicated just aren't trying.

The white isn't as warm, but hey - can't halt the march of progress, even if I did have to wipe tears outta my eyes for a couple seconds. Sure, a couple days warning would have been nice but it wasn't exactly an unpleasant surprise.

I say come back in a week, and see how many people are complaining then.

Peace.

Dec 14, 2009
When I saw this on Friday I though 'Hmm, I wonder how the others will respond to this. Most likely with a calm and fair appraisal'

Instead we got 'OMGFH TEH CHANGEZ R BAAAAD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!ONEONE111!'

I'd hate to see how these people react when something really bad happens in their life.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
My eyes burn. No sarcasm. Really.

On topic, the site is loading horrendously slow, but I assume that's because they're still working on it at the moment.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The best part of this is the rage.

Day One: "THIS SUCKS ESCAPIST CHANGE IT BACK BLAH"

Day Seven: Nobody gives a fuck

I like the current layout, but that freaking bright blue color, ech, change it to the Escapist blue.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
When I saw this on Friday I though "Hmm, I wonder how the others will respond to this. Most likely with a calm and fair appraisal"

Instead we got "OMGFH TEH CHANGEZ R BAAAAD!"
But Daystar, it's so bright!

Not the white background! Ahgarbulagabah, my eyes! My eyes! AHHHHHHHH! Ahhhhhurgh!

DRD 1812

Mar 1, 2010
If I join the Publisher's Club or otherwise give the Escapist money can they serve me a link to the old, clean, readable site? Turning the news updates from a simple list of text to a bulky and disorganized mass doesn't make the site look any more "content rich."

Study sites like Shacknews or even (ech) Kotaku and try again if you must.

Dec 14, 2009
The Diabolical Biz said:
Daystar Clarion said:
When I saw this on Friday I though "Hmm, I wonder how the others will respond to this. Most likely with a calm and fair appraisal"

Not the white background! Ahgarbulagabah, my eyes! My eyes! AHHHHHHHH! Ahhhhhurgh!
I'll give you that. It is quite bright, but overall, the change looks good, it just needs some getting used to.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I just miss the blue and yellow. Blue and yellow is what made the escapist the escapist for me.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I'll give you that. It is quite bright, but overall, the change looks good, it just needs some getting used to.
Nah, I don't mind it. That was mostly sarcasm (although it did smart for a second).

Also:

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
The Diabolical Biz said:
Daystar Clarion said:

That works so well with your avatar :p

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I really don't understand what was wrong with the old layout. I never came to this site and was like "Boy i really wish it was different. And this button or window was over here." This seems silly and unnecessary more then new and streamlined. But it's still just more boring to look at now more then anything to me

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Yeh guys, drop the white, i was nicely sat in the dark, refresh the escapist and BAM! Blinded.

Still i always welcome change...sorta...

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
I'll say one thing and one thing only--It's not my cup of tea, but whatever. PLEASE CHANGE THE BACKGROUND. PLAIN WHITE IS TERRIBLE.

Danakir

Jun 21, 2008
I have to say the new design really doesn't work for me. I wholeheartedly agree with those who have said that it feels cluttered.

Good intentions but the result is very underwhelming I'm afraid.

Scorcherr

Oct 27, 2011
Apart from me liking it or not (I definitely don't, it's flashy and confusing), there's something that bothers me even more:

it's buggy like hell and full of design mistakes! Stuff is overlapping to the extent that I can only see like 1/5th of some of the containers (especially on the main page). Also, stuff is not properly aligned everywhere, like someone was in a real hurry putting this together.

Also, this comment box is buggy (it's growing alot while I type and spaces disappear at the end of each line. Linebreaks sometimes disappear).

Some of the colors are so off that you can't read the text because of the background. There's more buttons than content. The comments text is in the tiniest font ever. The ratio between page element sizes is totally weird everywhere. The main navigation design is a joke. I could go on for ages.

I'm a professional webdesigner and if I had delivered something like that my customers would've sent me home crying. Just sayin' ...