The new World War Z trailer

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
WAIT!! for f*** sake Hollywood. why did you have to make a movie about it just as i pick it up and start to read it. let me finish first.
i haven't seen te trailer. i won't do it until i finish the book either. but i know that
1. the book's gonna be etter then the movie
2. that watching the trailer will color my opinion on the book.

never thought i'd say this but STOP WATCHING TV AND START TO READ!!!!!

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
I'm sorry but fast zombies? The point of world war z was not the zombies themselves, but rather they acted as a backdrop to explain political and societal events.

Fast zombies are bullshit.

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
Matt S Hoimyr said:
WAIT!! for f*** sake Hollywood. why did you have to make a movie about it just as i pick it up and start to read it. let me finish first.
i haven't seen te trailer. i won't do it until i finish the book either. but i know that
1. the book's gonna be etter then the movie
2. that watching the trailer will color my opinion on the book.

never thought i'd say this but STOP WATCHING TV AND START TO READ!!!!!

Trust me, this film is pretty much nothing like the book. The only thing they share is the name.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I don't know. For the first time I'm seeing human overpopulation as the real problem with a Zombie apocalypse and those hoard shots, crowded cityscapes and traffic jams are what's making that impression on me. Zombie hoards are nothing new but the idea of how dangerous an outbreak of anything (be it disease, dangerous ideology or anything) is coming across in these shots. That might be what the filmmakers have picked up on and decided to run with in the title - 'World War/ Z'. That might be their angle. We'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone ever expecting a film to be a faithful recreation of source material is just crazy. Just as books are not faithful recreations of the thoughts in the minds of their writers. Each medium has its own tools and things to achieve. If it works as a film then that's what it is. The best stories in the world played loose with the source material. And if they didn't, there would hardly be any new stories in the world today. But as for now, it's too early to say.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Nothing about this trailer seems to capture any of the dread that World War Z was supposed to have imposed upon the world in the book. I understand changing the format, but the bulk of the books message was about how nations reacted to a cataclysm that destroyed their supply chains, ways of life and undermined the very way that wars were waged and communities developed.

From the Canadians who thought they could simply outlast the zombies in the cold finding out just how scarce food could become. To the Chinese who thought that they could fight the zombies with superior numbers. To the Americans who just tried to ignore the problem until it was too late by spreading a placebo to deal with the problem.

Then to see how all of these people turned around when the time came. The push west in the US to re-achieve manifest destiny. The old Japanese gardener who refused to leave his home soil even after the evacuation. The battles in the catacombs beneath Paris, and the astronauts on the International Space station who spent the entire war watching helplessly and trying to keep satellites in orbit as their supplies dwindled and their bodies withered away.

It looks like this movie turns a book about how humans can confront or be overwhelmed by a new foe into a generic action movie about an A list actor who wants to save his family. It's a waste of potential.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
vaderaider said:
Trust me, this film is pretty much nothing like the book. The only thing they share is the name.
really? good i hate it when they do this, just trying to milk something in order to pull in extra money. only reason they used the name is because the now can say to themselves that "no no we're not making another bloody zombie movie, we're basing something on the book and giving it a message and bla bla bla we want to be smart"
i am still not watching the trailer, same way i am not watching the movie when it comes out. i am sticking to literature

just thought i'd say that to all you who think the trailer looks stupid.

edit: hi hi. i went too far didn't i

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
As someone with zero connection to the books, it looks... Aright. Doesn't look fantastic, though that scene of the zombies climbing the wall like a pile of ants was pretty cool. I have to say, they didn't look much like 'zombies' though. No rotting or bleeding or anything. They just seem like really angry people with no sense of self preservation out to rid Brad Pitt of that ludicrous haircut.

tippy2k2 said:
This will sound like a weird question but...has there ever been a zombie movie with a good actor in it? That alone makes me excited for this movie.
Zombieland had Woody Harrelson, and had one of the greatest actors ever in one of the greatest cameos ever. Shaun of the Dead has Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. So yes, there have been.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I was excited for a second because I thought maybe they'd explore the "Hero City" story Brooks didn't touch in the book, then I lost interest at the unnecessary and bad cg effects.

iseeyouthere

Jan 21, 2010
At first, I thought it would only follow this one family. Fair enough, we could deal with that.
Then I saw the zombies running.

This is not World War Z. This is 28 MONTHS LATER. As far as I am concerned, they screwed up the naming.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
Damn this movie for turning me into a hipster... It is not World War Z, this is just those few scenes from 28 Weeks made into a two hour or so film. I will admit that one or two scenes look interesting in the sense of "oh my god, that is so cool" kind of stupid, like Vampire Hunter, but overall....just no....

The book was about the people, how they felt, the people they lost, but this... they are picking and choosing what they want. If it had any other name, maybe. I have always wanted a zombie film with a massive focus on the military response, but because they took my favourite book to make it... no... maybe if a new trailer comes out showing that those bits are like ten minutes of the film...

I still want Yonkers though...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
InB4 "It's not like the book!" cries -

Oh. I'm that late? Okay.

Well, all I got from the trailer is that this might as well be called "Ragdoll Physics Shoved at the Screen via Thousands of Humanoid Assets: The Movie".

Might see it on DVD just for these two or three epic zombie dogpiles and the detailed featurettes on how they got that to work.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Well, look on the bright side, it can't be any worse than the Day of the Dead "remake", right?

...right...? D=
Cookiegerard said:
I think, in a way, we all want Yonkers. Some people may think they don't want Yonkers, but I believe this is simply because they do not know of Yonkers. From this we can extrapolate the minds behind this film are so completely inhuman that any attempt to reason with them would be futile.
wombat_of_war said:
i dont mind fast zombies. dawn of the dead 2003 is one of my favourites. but even the original night of the living dead had some pretty fast moving zombies even if they didnt sprint.
Well, that's all good'n'fine, but when the source material pretty explicitly says fast zombies are a poor effort by Hollywood to add jump scares when they really aren't needed (paraphrasing, but that's the jist of it)... well, you have to appreciate the irony, if nothing else.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Meh. I just finished the book a few days ago and this is disappointing. Running zombies and a story based around one dude? If they had stuck to the interview/flashback type deal this would have been awesome but instead it looks like an action-y zombie movie where you can mow hundreds of them down with just body shots.

And even then! The focus was on the survivors stories and the effects this war had on the world not EXPLOSIONS, HEADSHOTS, ZOMBIESSS!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Ed130 said:
It was World War Z.

Those weren't zombies in the book, they were refugees who saw the luxuries stockpiled in the fortress from media coverage of the fortress and its inhabitance. Yes in the middle of a zombie apocalypse the rich stopped to gloat, and in the end only a guard and a one of those rat sized toy dogs survived.
You're correct, my mistake. I do definitely remember something about walls and zombie, but that was not it.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Looks alright, will be your standard zombie apocalypse movie I think. Though I really do like the effect where they just mass over each other like a wave and crash down. It's weird, but really cool at the same time.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Daverson said:
Cookiegerard said:
I think, in a way, we all want Yonkers. Some people may think they don't want Yonkers, but I believe this is simply because they do not know of Yonkers. From this we can extrapolate the minds behind this film are so completely inhuman that any attempt to reason with them would be futile.
Indeed as it's one of the defining moments of the book explaining why the existing military fails. Instead this movie seems to be going the "Fuck yeah the military!" route instead of showing why they suck in a zombie apocalypse.

Screw this movie.

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
I am highly excited for this movie for three reasons.

1. I gave up on it being like the book as soon as I heard the plot summary. So save yourself a lot of grief now by just putting the book completely out of your mind.

2. There has not been an epic-level zombie movie so far, and I think this could be the one to turn all that around. Zombie movies have needed a break from the "rag tag group of survivors just trying to survive one more day in a broken world," and this more than fits the bill.

3. It looks like they are going outside of America, and based on the trailer there are quite a few scenes taking place in Jerusalem. Which I find to be pretty cool.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Been waiting for the trailer since they announced the movie a year or so ago - read the book before that... now? Not impressed. At all.

We'll see how it stands up as its own movie, though. I'll probably go to the theatres to see it, still.