The next "Friday"? - Also, Haters.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009

For those who don't follow the British X-Factor, she was a contestant on it last time round, an all-round annoying brat who happened to be really good at singing and distinctly average at rapping, yet chose to do the second most of the time. Came fourth.

This video got me thinking about the concept of "haters" though, at first it just brought to mind the obnoxious example of someone completely ignoring a well thought-out argument with "haters gonna hate"

However, the more I thought about it, the concept of people saying "haters gonna hate" is really a good thing.
It states: I'm different, I'm going to enjoy what I like, and not just not enjoy something because you tell me I shouldn't be enjoying it. It's an acceptance that we all like different things, and that that's ok.

What do you think of the video, and the concept of "haters"?

PROcrastinator

Nov 2, 2010
Saw about 30 seconds of the video before i gave up for sanity's sake. As for haters, i feel like they just dont appreciate what they have or are jealous of other people's success.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, it's like the 80's barfed all over that video. Please tell me that was just her costume for that vid and not how she dresses every day. It's like staring into the maw of madness itself it is.

-EDIT-
Okay, time for the more thought out bit.

I sort of thought that's what "haters gonna hate" was supposed to mean. Sure you're always going to have asshats that opt to use it as a means of sticking their fingers in their ears and going "blah blah blah I can't hear you and your sanity" but when it comes to things like Twilight, as a random example, it really doesn't matter how much the nerd community rages. People legitimately like the series and the movies. Wait, better example; the Transformers trilogy. We can spout nerd rage all day about that but it doesn't change the fact enjoy it enough to continue going see it.

I'll never understand the mentality of "I don't like it so no one else should". It's quite frankly a stupid one and I'm often shocked to see people who subscribe to it. The way I view it is summed up quite neatly by "haters gonna hate". I enjoy something and I don't give two shits if you don't. Rage all you want because it won't change my opinion.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
There's no force in the world that can get me to watch that video because I can tell that I hate it just by looking at the thumbnail. (Well maybe if somebody is holding a gun against my head, but whatever I'm just illustrating a point.)

As for haters, yeah I agree. No matter how great something is, there's going to be somebody that hates it. People are just too diverse. Using "Haters Gonna Hate" as a comeback is something I don't really agree with though, because yeah it kind of does tell me that you're not willing to defend something you like.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Kukulski said:
There are 6,775,235,700 people in the world. Some of them butcher music for fun and profit.
Technically: World 6,946,499,708

http://www.census.gov/population/international/

Also reports estimate the 7th billion person will be born in october

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
Well, I don't listen to rap, so I can't really judge the quality of the artist's lyrics. Everything else is pretty annoying though.

As for haters... they are a fact of life. People will always have differing opinions. If someone has valid criticism for something I'm doing wrong, then I try and listen to them and incorporate their advice. But, if they're just trolling me, I ignore them. Simple as that.

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
Flying Dagger said:
What do you think of the video, and the concept of "haters"?
Is this what the so called "chavs" listen to? Please bear with me as I'm an American hard rocker and fortunately have never actually met one. As for the girl, she reminds me of some lady that used to be on a bunch of 80's sitcoms, but for the life of me I cant remember her name. Mainly because of her hair in the first minute of the video.

Also, I have to applaud her on the fact that she is the first pop starlet I've heard in the past year or so that hasnt relied on autotune the whole song. While I dont care for her music at all, the fact that I can tell that she actually has the ability to sing makes me respect her far more than the likes of her "contemporaries" like rebecca black.

Regardless, I still heavily dislike the song, like most pop music that comes out these days, as I still think it feels completely devoid of soul. Then again, I'm a dude obsessed with finding obscure (for where I live) 70's rock and metal bands like Budgie or Motorhead (not even lying, many people where I live have no idea who they are)so I might be a little biased in my tastes on music.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
I see the haters side just because the song is typical crap that seems to be trying to bring back 80-90's stylization with modern slang terms. Musically the song is a mess it has a harsh melody that's hard on the ears and she's really isn't singing. If you want something good look up Missy Elliot its basically what Char Lloyd is trying to mimic. Also sometimes its sad that people my age have such horrible taste in music a majority listen to modern club bangers and overplayed radio songs. I grew up with Soul, R&B and Blues albums from my mom. My brother got me into Rap w/ LL Cool Jay, Tupac, Mobb Deep, etc. Video Games got me into Rock, Metal, Synth, Techno and Classical. A the root of the hate is that kids these days have ridged musical taste and seem to be mindless when it comes to their choices.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
LobsterFeng said:
Using "Haters Gonna Hate" as a comeback is something I don't really agree with though, because yeah it kind of does tell me that you're not willing to defend something you like.
Why should I have to defend it at all? You (in this hypothetical scenario) have already made up your mind that you dislike what I like. There is no benefit to holding a discussion over it especially since your end goal would be for it to end with me no longer liking what I like and thus conforming to your own opinion. While I would deeply like to do the same thing and get you to like what I like there's no point in it. The fact that you expect me to justify my tastes is initial evidence enough that you don't really care what I think to begin with and seek only to make me miserable by converting me from a state of enjoyment to the more negative dislike that you would be experiencing. Ergo, haters gonna hate. Discussion is pointless between the two of us is pointless from the start.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
That actually sounded better than quite a bit of popular music. Aka: about 5 platinum records from being as good as the hit single "nails on a chalk board"

It's far from Friday's atrocity from a pure music standpoint, but how self-involved it was made it quite close.

I wonder what it sounds like while they are recording it, before all of the background music, voice effects, and auto-tuning.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
She's profiting not from making good music, but from pissing people off on purpose?
Music vid: not my taste. Actually I think its shit.
Haters: Gonna hate.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
I'm sad...I came into this thread thinking I would be thrilled to see a proper sequel to the great Ice Cube/Chris Tucker movie...instead I get this crap. This blows... T.=.T

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Yeah, I think it sucks. The song shredded my ears, but so do the majority of pop songs. The problem with hating and cursing her name is this:

This girl, like that 'Friday' girl, has taken the initiative and created something. That thing's worth is entirely subjective, and there's nothing worse than seeing full-time media grazers vilifying these people who's only crime is to aspire to something.

It's OK to dislike or even hate what they have created, but that's entirely your decision which has nothing to do with the worth of that creation, nor its right to exist.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Haters gonna hate is a dismissive attempt to ignore legit criticism. It's the cultural equivalent of someone pointing out a problem with a politician and the criticism being dismissed with something along the lines of 'Oh he's a liberal' or 'Oh he's a conservative.' It comes from people being so unused to criticism that they assume any real criticism, constructive or not, comes from a pre-formed bias rather than with a problem with their output. Same reason people say Yahtzee hates games. You understand.

As for the song? Eh, it's not bad in a 'End of Civilization and Humanity As We Know It' the way Friday was. It's just bad and bland and forgettable. I sincerely doubt I'll remember it more than 10 minutes from now

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
Because she ripped off Oh My Darling Clementine, I am a hater. Didn't like the song when I had to sing it when I was younger, and I don't like it now. Especially when interwoven with hip-hop and the mention of Twitter. If I were her, I would have also spelled out Jagger like Gwen Stefani.

At least she had fun with the music video, I guess. I wish you could say music isn't a money grab anymore, but it isn't the case. Haters are going to hate, but it doesn't do much good for you to acknowledge them. It only makes you seem just as inflammatory.