The Nothingness

Jan 12, 2012
esserin said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
OT: What if you do notice the difference, but you prefer the slower framerate because the 60FPS stuff is just too smooth?
I've always wondered when people say that is it just cause they're not used to it and need to just buckle down on it?

Cause when I first started using 60 fps, I was also kinda weirded out by it. It was just so smooth. But after, like, two days, I was pretty comfortable with it and found it more enjoyable overall.
It's one of those things where I always notice the jump between 30 and 60 if I'm watching gameplay on Youtube, and it says noticeable the whole way through. Not to mention with live action stuff; I visited family over Easter and they had a tv that put in the extra frames, and everything that they watched looked terrible and fake.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Teoes said:
Holy shit can our eyes really only perceive three colours at once?

Well tickle my taint and call me Susan.
[puts on rubber glove] Alright, Susan. Drop 'em and bend over.

Def25

Feb 24, 2015
Charcharo said:
Yeah...
I cant understand how people say they cant tell the differences in resolution and frame rates.
Either I am some super-human or they have some problems :(

I honestly dont know :(
Now the console gamers use the "it looks the same as the console version" argument.

Thank god digital foundry is around.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
I didn't really get this comic. The joke seemed indistinguishable from a an empty black blob.

But then again my blinks usually happen for up to 24 seconds so theres a chance I missed it.

Sep 13, 2009
erttheking said:
Meh. 60 FPS is nice but I'm fine with 30. Probably gonna be lynched for that, but whatever.
Get in line, I willingly capped my FPS at 30 when it was running smoothly at 60 so my computer wouldn't heat up so much.

And I didn't even care

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
CaitSeith said:
It's OK if you can't tell the difference or you don't care about the difference. Just don't insist that there is no difference, no one can tell the difference or no one should care. That's like saying there is no difference (or no one should care) between playing in surround audio and monaural.
Reminds me of when my audiophile roommate threatened to take back the stereo he had sold me (when he upgraded) when he walked into my room, realized within seconds that one of the speakers had become unplugged, and then realized to his horror that this had probably happened weeks ago, and I just hadn't noticed.

It was obvious to him that I didn't deserve a nice (second-hand) stereo (which I probably didn't).

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Naqel said:
I'm at a really odd place where I can only see the difference between 30 and 60 when I watch someone else play.

When I play, 30 and 60 is a miniscule difference to me... but going from 30 to ~45 is like jumping into hyperspace at the speed of light.
That's something i noticed too. I feel 60 or even 120fps on someone else's screen looks so smooooooooth but i can't really tell the diffrence when i'm playing myself. Maybe because im too focused on actually playing?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
dangoball said:
Therumancer said:
Holly molly, that's way more complex response than I ever deserved.
I got the 30/60 FPS poke/joke well enough, just didn't feel like commenting on that. I'm actually one of those weird people able to enjoy a game with 20 FPS (might be because twitchy shooters are not really my niche) which some people have a hard time understanding.
My comment was aimed at the "this swirling vortex of horror ...", which would imply that GTAV is a swirling vortex of horror of a game.
No, it was more of a response to GTA being brand new to the PC and they released a superior version of it that does 60FPS which has gotten some controversy. For example if you happen to look at STEAM they have the "60 FPS trailer" to show how much better the game looks on PC.

As far as being able to endure 20fps, it depends on the game and what I'm doing with it. In some games I've played (and still play) there is like 0 FPS since it's all pretty much static images. :)

I don't think any ill will was intended towards GTAV at all, only those who claim it doesn't look any better on PC with double the frame rate that it had on consoles.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
This feels like the twelfth "PC Master Race" joke in the last month or so, guys. The first couple were funny, but haven't you got anything new?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
It's not whether or not you can detect 60fps, it's whether or not you care. I admit I like 60fps, I just don't really notice it most of the time. If my framerate starts dropping, I figured out I don't care unless it goes below 20. At that point, things get dodgy, and I go into the options menu to change some settings (or look down and wait for it to pass).

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
...Man, I'd kill for 60 FPS in DOTA... But a buggy internet connection leaves me at 100 ping at best, 450 ping at worst. No packet loss, just sloooooooow and really jerky at times. Playing initiator/support sucks just as much as carry if your internet is blown, ladies and gentlemen.
But for Minecraft and more slow-paced games, 30 is just what the doctor ordered. As someone said above, getting deep into a game makes people forget about constant framerates if they're above about 25.

Also, just as an aside, to anybody who "can't stand less than 60 FPS"... how do you watch TV? Or stand a movie at a cinema? I thought most, if not all, broadcast media was released in 24p nowadays, and that a higher framerate is indicative of lower quality work, as that's the demesne of home camcorders.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I can tolerate 30 but anyone who says 60 isn't a monumental, obvious and significant improvement is a fucking moron. Period.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The Master Race is strong with this one.
Caramel Frappe said:
I didn't really care what the frame rate was for any game until I got Dark Souls 2 for the Xbox One.

I love my Xbox One Dark Souls 2 >_>
Indeed. Frame rate isn't the be-all and end-all. It's more like spaces between words in a book: a bit jarring, but hardly immersion-breaking. For example, I've played AC 4: Black Flag on Wii U, and I don't mind that it probably isn't even 30fps. As long as I can see Edward leap off a building, jab a redcoat in the throat, and slip into some shrubbery to hide, it's fine.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I prefer 60fps whenever I can get it, and fortunately I have a vid card that reliably does it in anything I'm playing these days. Although I'm not sure how some people can't tell the difference, I appreciate there are some who can't, just like I don't appreciate super hi-fidelity audio over a good set of Creative 2.1's.

First time I noticed 60fps in video (real life) was when my dad showed me a video of myself playing drums recorded with both...I realized I could barely tell what was going on in the 30fps version compared to the quicker one where it's was almost surreal, like I was on a drugs or something that heightened my perception and I was in bullet time or someshit. So that "cinematic" excuse = bullshit to me.

I wouldn't say it affects my reflexes though, I think that's a mild exaggeration to tell the truth, but I do prefer the way it looks and can tell the difference, especially in driving games.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I am detecting some real salt here. Anyone who "can't see" the difference has never played the same game at both. It isn't just in the "Seeing" either, its in the feel.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Joseph Harrison said:
Honestly, I can kinda tell the difference, like I've watched comparison videos where it is incredibly obvious and sometimes I can't tell at all. I would prefer my games to run smoother but I really don't understand why people get so obsessed and so elitist about this, like why do you care so much if some people can't tell the difference?

I thought the comic was funny, cuz there are some times when the difference is so obvious its kinda stupid that people can't see the difference but I really don't see why it matters so much. Why would you refuse to buy a game solely because it only runs at 30fps?
Basically, it's more that you can't tell the difference but your brain can. It does make things more fluid.

What's more interesting is that studies have found that higher FPS correlate with video game enjoyability. Strange that something so subtle would impact that.

Now, would I prefer 60 FPS and ok graphics vs 30 FPS and stunning graphics? Stunning graphics every time. Since the two are generally on a slide rule, I'm not unhappy about the current generation's trend. I just hope the next generation can have both.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
A lot of people make a big fuss over 30 vs 60 but here's the thing: It often doesn't matter. See, there's a reason why all those comparison videos that 60 FPS fanatics show are always really high speed footage where the camera is whipping around a lot or your character is moving really fast. Stuff like trackmania or that particular brand of super fast, super floaty fps that PC seems to love. And it's because those games actually do require 60 frames to work well. But the majority of console games (And big name pc releases, which often are just console ports, sadly) aren't whipping the camera around constantly or moving at such high speed that 30 vs 60 actually matters.

GTA V for example. I've played it on both console and pc and the only place the 60 fps really makes any noticeable difference is when driving a car at high speeds, or when using the first person mode and shooting. And it's nice there, don't get me wrong, 60 fps is always preferable if you can get it, but it's not really a huge selling point.

Acting like 60fps is REQUIRED for all games to be playable is laughable elitism at best. I mean, would 60 FPS really matter at all in stuff like RTS, Card battle, Turn Based, or Telltale style games?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
After reading the comments the consensus is "I can tell the difference, but I don't care" which is met with "If you can't tell the difference you should be burned at the stake while people throw stones at you." I find myself in the first camp. Not every game needs to hit 60 to be good, and there are 60 games that do suck. Can't say it's perfect, but it's nice when it's there. It's not the main part of a good game rather a stepping stone at best.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
... I dont notice a difference when playing 30 or 60 fps... I can play both equally since i switch from ps3 to ps4 to pc games constantly during my free time and not once do i notice a difference. Maybe im just special? Concidering in todays world, not being a picky douchebag is special today! XD

Pc snobby elitists will use practically anything to act like they're even an inch worth a speck of dust to hide the fact most of our lives are worthless i reality. Its like, pc gaming is better, were at 60 fps and have 4000pixels and im just like "Oh im sorry, im having the same amount of fun playing this game on a 1080p computer monitor. I played through the entirity of Pillars of eternity on my dads laptop, which ran the game at like, 5 FPS, beat it, loved it, I guess im more tolerable!"