The old belt (Parents using violence to correct you)

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
I hate to see when kids get hit on or beat or abused. I never let my parents touch me, my dad did on occasion but he hated to do so and when he tried. Why do people let kids get beat up on, that only teaches them to cower in fear and think that you should always submit to authority. I know when a child does something really dumb but honestly I think they should learn from experience and you should offer guidance. I don't think you should ever lay a hand on someone who is a minor. There is nothing wrong with messing around with your kids wrestling and rolling around and accidents happen but what I'm stressing is that violence should never be used on kids as a solution to a problem that could be fixed in less harmful ways.
How do you guys feel about using physical punishment against kids or having physical punishment being inflicted upon you?

Edit: Sorry about this I am trying to say that beating as a first response. By beating I mean a punishment that is meant to cause pain. I'm not against physical contact that is just meant to teach something. I just think physical violence with intent to hurt should never be used. And regular physical punishment should never be used until the child repeats the same thing over and over again.

LFC Scouser

The Fifteenth Arcana
Jun 7, 2010
It's called child abuse and it is illegal if someone does it report them simple enough right?

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
Kipohippo said:
Never liked it. But you are confusing violence with beating. I still think both are not okay though.
Sorry if I misconstrued anything! Often times it's hard to really tell the difference though and it all depends on the situation.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I believe that the threat is more effective then the punishment, besides, if you hit your kids they are probably more likely to hit someone else and it pretty much signals that all other methods have failed so your already a screw up

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
Worgen said:
I believe that the threat is more effective then the punishment, besides, if you hit your kids they are probably more likely to hit someone else and it pretty much signals that all other methods have failed so your already a screw up
Thank you, that is very agreeable and I think yes threats and sitting down and talking to them about the actions and what they can do. If that does not work you can always show them what happens to people and even have them experience some things. Like what it's like to have to work for all your food and your house and things like that. I think using violence never solved anything though.

bluewolf

Apr 16, 2011
This is how it works in canadian goverment: your kid tells you to shutup, you smack him upside the head. This is apperently legit. some guy calls you a dumb moth*r f***er you then hit HIM, you go to prison also, hitting kids teaches them that violence is okay.

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
bluewolf said:
This is how it works in canadian goverment: your kid tells you to shutup, you smack him upside the head. This is apperently legit. some guy calls you a dumb moth*r f***er you then hit HIM, you go to prison also, hitting kids teaches them that violence is okay.
Yup it teaches them that it's a solution to a problem and it's not a solution at all!

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
If a kid is, for instance, reaching for a hotplate, a sharp slap to the back of the hand can be appropriate - it activates the same mental pathways as letting them touch the hob, giving them the "touching the cooker is a bad idea" lesson, but without causing any real pain or indeed any physical harm at all. An awful lot better than letting them suffer through the learning experience of second-degree burns...

But that's as a warning, a sort of simulator. As a punishment? No. Far better to explain what they've done wrong and prompt them to figure out how to avoid it in the future.

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
bluewolf said:
I have dealt with my mother almost killing herself and dealt with constant fights between family members and having to break them up at the age of 12. Having my dad become very close to me then move away so I could not see him very much also hurt me too. It fucked me up somewhat but thankfully I can still function on a normal level.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
theloneassassin said:
Worgen said:
Thank you, that is very agreeable and I think yes threats and sitting down and talking to them about the actions and what they can do. If that does not work you can always show them what happens to people and even have them experience some things. Like what it's like to have to work for all your food and your house and things like that. I think using violence never solved anything though.
oh violence solves problems, it solves them very well, but it also creates many more problems and eventually the city is in flames and youve lost your hat

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
awmperry said:
If a kid is, for instance, reaching for a hotplate, a sharp slap to the back of the hand can be appropriate - it activates the same mental pathways as letting them touch the hob, giving them the "touching the cooker is a bad idea" lesson, but without causing any real pain or indeed any physical harm at all. An awful lot better than letting them suffer through the learning experience of second-degree burns...

But that's as a warning, a sort of simulator. As a punishment? No. Far better to explain what they've done wrong and prompt them to figure out how to avoid it in the future.
I agree with what you mean, Like a stern pull on the shoulder or like a you idiot tap on the back of the head but no real pain should be caused at all.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Hobo Steve said:
Its quick, its effective and it works.
Not hitting your kids just turns them into spoiled little cunts who think they are invincible.
If you love your kids, beat them.
I agree with you. Kids are being treated like little angels today, and thats whats making most of them stupid little assholes.

I was constantly spanked as a kid, and quite frankly, I'm glad my parents did. I was taught humility from that. Any parents who treat their kids with candy and happiness all the time need to not be parents. They need to volunteer at a day care or something.

Now, I'm not saying to go around with a baseball bat and beat them up. Just spank em once in a while. If its something minor, use your hand. If its something major, get out the belt. I know thats what I'll be doing when I'm a parent.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Kheapathic said:
There's a difference between violence and discipline.
Pretty much exactly what I think. A parent shouldn't beat a child, but disciplinary spanking I think is necessary in some cases.

My parents did it, my grandparents did it, and I'm sure my great-grandparents did as well.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I got smacked when I was a kid, and I think I'm better for it. But my parents took it very seriously. I'd have to do something really wrong (like purposely injure one of my siblings), I'd have to have done it repeatedly (despite warnings and other punishments), and they'd always leave me in my room for at least ten minutes so they'd calm down and decide whether it was necessary or not. Often I'd be be waiting for them and they'd just end up coming and telling me what I had done wrong and let me off. When they did smack me they they'd apologize half the time.

I'm a bit of bleeding heart who is normally firmly against corporal punishment, but, I don't know about this. I look back at the whole ceremony positively, that it helped me learn and learn fast what was right and what was wrong. But it would be completely ignorant of me to not see that a whole lot of people would view it differently. Plenty of people have gone through hell, or feel like they've gone through hell.

Truth be told, I'm not sure, at least partly because I don't trust myself. I'll form my opinion and policy when I have kids of my own. Just hope I make the right one.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I am in full support of physical discipline because there is nothing more humbling than pain.

On an eight-year-old kid who believes him/herself invincible, a smack upside the head can be rather effective because it tells the child they are not in charge.

On a 14-year-old, not so much. A more subtle method is required.

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:
I am in full support of physical discipline because there is nothing more humbling than pain.

On an eight-year-old kid who believes him/herself invincible, a smack upside the head can be rather effective because it tells the child they are not in charge.

On a 14-year-old, not so much. A more subtle method is required.
So you're saying to smack him in the head without explanation? At least treat him like a human being and tell him all about what he is doing and why it will hurt him in the end. Give him a few chances and if it does not work take a it a step farther. Why hit someone who has never been taught what was right in wrong in the first place? Let's say you were at work and your boss who is much taller then you hit you in the head because you made a small mistake and you had no idea that it was wrong. How would you feel?