The Old Republic Collectors' Edition Might Cost You $210

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Okay, so it's not over $200, that's good. $150 though? I mean.. wow. I know they're putting all their eggs into this basket and everything, but that's just really expensive. I have the money to spare for it, if I wanted to, but I don't see the value. It looks like a standard Collector's pack, as everyone has already stated.

Normally something like this runs about $80 or so. The combined powers of George Lucas and EA give you one of the most expensive collector's editions ever. Hardly surprising, but disappointing still.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Pandabearparade said:
Actually it is not avg. at all. The early entry is almost double what usual pre orders offer. The number of ingame items are almost double, not to mention the vendor with more things listed.

Then lets not forget this is Bioware and Star wars. The material included are a fanboys wet dream of things.

And you seem to feel your argument has more basis than mine. Right.....

As someone that has bought a CE for every MMO I have played (and I have played and bought nearly all AAA titles) I would like to think that I actually have a well informed opinion. I dont know you, dont even care to, but I will hapilly place my experience over yours in this.

Your argument fails purely on the basis that you make assumptions and haven't got anything to base it on other than.... "well it's obviously avg."

Also, the fact that I am willing to buy it, and at the rate of the CEs selling out I would say I am in fact correct. The CE is worth it and people are buying it. Thanks for your time though.

Have a good day now.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Thumper17 said:
Must.. fight.. inner star wars nerd... urges... HURGL!

NO! I must not buy this. Waste..of.. money.. I don't even.. play MMOs!

*dark side*

But you love that series! How could you not finish it? It's totally worth several of your currently non-existant pay cheques!

*light side*

Do not give in my son. For MMO's lead only to the dark side, and subscription fee's.

*dark side*

Come, you have little to no social life anyways, what have you to lose?

*light side*

You dont have the money child! Just wait or buy the regular edition!

*dark side*

But then you dont get the cool Journal and Statue and in game items!

*light side*

Will that matter in the long run? The journal could be torn or thrown out, the statue will only collect dust!

*Dark side*

But the statue will look badass doing it!

*light side*

The game could be discontinued! Much like enter the matrix!

*dark side*

Not when it is backed by EA, Lucasfilms and the power of the force!

*light side*

But it wont be steam compatible! It'll be released only on Origins!

*dark side*

Ahh fuck, he's got me there.
Dam it's like he's reading my mind. Gonna have buyer's remorse I think.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
Already pre ordered don't care much what people think, i've already had an earful from everyone i know but i care not.

Iv'e been following this thing from day one and im a hardcore star wars fan (by definition of others) £130 is just nothing for my dream game.

Also that malgus statue is cool as fuck i dare you to honestly say otherwise.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Absolutely ridiculous. I like a good CE, but I refuse to pay such an inflated price. It's bad enough that the standard edition is $60! True, I've purchased CEs before that were $70-80, but this is close to DOUBLE that. And I'm not particularly impressed with the goods.

I'm ordering my SE through Amazon so I don't have to pay up front, and they'll still send you out a pre-order code to get in line for the early access.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I went with the Collector's Edition mostly because:

1) I want the in-game items
1.1) I want a physical copy of the game, so no Digital Deluxe
1.2) Really, the best in-game extra (the vendor) is CE only
2) Getting a Security Authentication Key right away is neat, so I don't have to order one later
2.1) The soundtrack and galaxy maps are neat. Star Wars music tends to be good.
3) I already ordered the overpriced ME3 N7CE, so why not? Showing some extra support.

As for the Darth Malgus statue? Wish there was a cheaper CE without it, but I'll see if I can get it auctioned off and get some of my money back.

rwege

Nov 12, 2009
I was crazy excited for KotR until I saw the gameplay trailers. I'm now completely uninterested. I dont understand how people are still entertained by the WoW model. Don't you all realize its the same shit with a different skin?

rwege

Nov 12, 2009
w-Jinksy said:
Already pre ordered don't care much what people think, i've already had an earful from everyone i know but i care not.

Iv'e been following this thing from day one and im a hardcore star wars fan (by definition of others) £130 is just nothing for my dream game.

Also that malgus statue is cool as fuck i dare you to honestly say otherwise.
It's only going to be your dreamgame if you were playing the original galaxies.

Then again you sound like your in the right hardcore bracket and probably DO play it, so, enjoy!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
rwege said:
I was crazy excited for KotR until I saw the gameplay trailers. I'm now completely uninterested. I dont understand how people are still entertained by the WoW model. Don't you all realize its the same shit with a different skin?
It may superficially look sort of like WoW, but it doesn't play like WoW.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
rwege said:
I'm buying it because its bioware.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Bretty said:
I would pay up to $150 for this. It would be a no brainer, no thought transaction.

I think a lot of this negativity is because kids couldn't think of getting this kind of money together. Of course, I have been working since 14 and have never had such issues. If Bioware have made the product that I think they have made this price point would be about right for me. But $210 is a little high.
Uh, I work full time and have quite a bit of income behind me and I still think paying anywhere over 80 is too much for a game. I love video games, but I'll go buy a full course steak dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse rather then waste a quarter of my monthly rent of a videogame before the monthly fees kick in. No amount of chotskies can possibly make it worth anywhere over $120. Don't assume that negativity is just because of kids, good sir.

I want this game to be successful, but nothing has hinted at it being the next game for me. I'm burned out on MMOs in general, but Guild Wars 2 is attracting my eye so far. The more I learn about TOR, the less I care about it. :/ That's like, inverse marketing right there.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
Is the game even out yet? That price is really high. While I'm not "burnt out" on MMOs, I don't have much hope for most of them, and I find myself enjoying non-MMO games more.

Also, who are the characters in it?

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Dragonborne88 said:
Bretty said:
I would pay up to $150 for this. It would be a no brainer, no thought transaction.

I think a lot of this negativity is because kids couldn't think of getting this kind of money together. Of course, I have been working since 14 and have never had such issues. If Bioware have made the product that I think they have made this price point would be about right for me. But $210 is a little high.
Uh, I work full time and have quite a bit of income behind me and I still think paying anywhere over 80 is too much for a game. I love video games, but I'll go buy a full course steak dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse rather then waste a quarter of my monthly rent of a videogame before the monthly fees kick in. No amount of chotskies can possibly make it worth anywhere over $120. Don't assume that negativity is just because of kids, good sir.

I want this game to be successful, but nothing has hinted at it being the next game for me. I'm burned out on MMOs in general, but Guild Wars 2 is attracting my eye so far. The more I learn about TOR, the less I care about it. :/ That's like, inverse marketing right there.
I in no way mean this to be rude. But I pay just over a k in rent and have one dependent and have disposable income. I would enjoy this CE for longer than a steak dinner. If SWTOR does succeed and go on for a long period of time than the fact that I have all those CE perks will only make the enjoyment last longer.

150 is not ridiculous for what they are offering. The statue alone is 50, the game is 40. Then tie everything else on there and you got yourself a deal. Would I have paid 250? No. 150? Most defiantly.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Bretty said:
I in no way mean this to be rude. But I pay just over a k in rent and have one dependent and have disposable income. I would enjoy this CE for longer than a steak dinner. If SWTOR does succeed and go on for a long period of time than the fact that I have all those CE perks will only make the enjoyment last longer.

150 is not ridiculous for what they are offering. The statue alone is 50, the game is 40. Then tie everything else on there and you got yourself a deal. Would I have paid 250? No. 150? Most defiantly.
150 is definitely far more tolerable a price line then what it was. I dunno, I just personally don't see anything of worth that makes it stand out to purchase. But as I said before, anything over 100 I generally don't shell out for a game anyway. Just a personal thing. I can see the authenticator being useful for people who are serious about their MMOs though.

I wish I didn't play so much WoW back in the day, it really corrupted my view on MMOs in general. I think the longest I've played one in about 5 years is a month. Usually I get bored of them in a week these days. I've been getting a lot more playthroughs of strategy games and older RPGs recently. Sad, but what are ya' gonna do.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I guess they want to charge high to clear the initial cost of production and a couple months worth of fees, before people might realize if the game is actually any good or not.

As Total Biscuit said in a recent mailbox, the fact they keep a tight lid on the projects raises suspicion as to if they are confident in their product. For god sake give us an actual release date. I garentee you wow isn't going to be stupid enough to crank out a patch to be released at the same time unless they wait a few more months. Even if they do it won't be a major raid content update untill at least December.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
John Funk said:
The Old Republic Collectors' Edition Might Cost You $210

According to supposedly leaked information, BioWare thinks its The Old Republic collectors' edition is worth a very hefty price tag.

Polish retailer Empik.com may have let the cat out of the bag [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111758-Oops-The-Old-Republic-Info-Leaked-By-Careless-Retailer] when it came to Star Wars: The Old Republic announcements that EA and BioWare were saving for this weekend's San Diego Comic-Con. In addition to information about the game's preorder benefits and box art, however, Empik also revealed the many, many goodies that are included in the (inevitable) Collectors' Edition of the game.

According to the image you see here, people who shell out for the limited edition will get the following items for their mundane meatspace lives:

[blockquote]*Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
*Star Wars: The Old Republic game discs in collectible metal case
*The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
*Old Republic galaxy map
*Custom Security Authentication Key (a la the Battle.net Authenticator, presumably)
*Exclusive Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
*High-Quality Collector's Edition Box[/blockquote]

In case you're running out of room for your giant game-based statues, though, BioWare is also throwing in some digital goodies for your in-game avatar:

[blockquote]*Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air
*Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance
*HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer
*HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures
*STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle
*Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spun-ky droid to join your adventures
*Exclusive Collector's Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items[/blockquote]

According to Empik.com, the Collectors' Edition clocked in at €150 - about $212 at current exchange rates. That's extremely expensive for a limited edition, above even the (then-lampooned) $150 for Modern Warfare 2's Prestige Edition. On the other hand, of course, it seems like the EU always gets screwed in the price point, so who knows what the US retail price will be?

Price point aside, it seems like a fairly standard MMO limited edition, though some of the digital goodies worry me as a long-time MMO player. I'm going to assume that the Training Droid won't be a crucial addition to combat, and presumably there will be equivalents to the HoloCam (even if it's just using an external program like Fraps) - but the idea of a "unique in-game vendor" sounds a bit troublesome.

As always, none of this information is confirmed, no matter how official the image here might look. One way or another, we'll likely get the official word this weekend at Comic-Con.

(G4TV [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/714659/star-wars-the-old-republic-box-art-and-collectors-edition-leaked/])

Update from Amazon states that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be released December 31st, 2011

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
dragongit said:
I guess they want to charge high to clear the initial cost of production and a couple months worth of fees, before people might realize if the game is actually any good or not.

As Total Biscuit said in a recent mailbox, the fact they keep a tight lid on the projects raises suspicion as to if they are confident in their product. For god sake give us an actual release date. I garentee you wow isn't going to be stupid enough to crank out a patch to be released at the same time unless they wait a few more months. Even if they do it won't be a major raid content update untill at least December.
According to Amazon it will be released December 31st, 2011

Vapus

May 15, 2010
animehermit said:
harvz said:
hm, about $210USD, probably gonna be $300 here...i no longer care about this stuff, im just giving up.
it's $150 USD, not 210.
Thats debatable as USA Dollar has the lifespan of a mosquito