The Old Republic Population Shrinking

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Vault101 said:
Flailing Escapist said:
What are you talking about? I think almost everyone who made the "good ole" Bioware games have already jumped ship. It's not really Bioware if the people who made Bioware -> BIOWARE are gone.

So yeah, I'd rather follow the people who made the good Bioware games and see the Bioware today gone rather than the watch the few jokers they have left puppetering it's bones around anymore.
but I seriously liked ME3..ending or no ending

shock horror...not everyone shares your exact tastes
The fuck? Did I say anything about ME3's ending? No. Okay then.

The only thing I'm saying is that I know the lead writers from Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age (I'm not sure what else they did) no longer work for Bioware. Apparently the composer for ME1 doesn't work for them either but I do have no idea how composers work. I also know quite a few other writers left after Dragon Age 2 and ME3 and I've heard of other people leaving.

animehermit said:
The lead designer for TOR was the same guy behind Baldur's Gate II.
See, not everyone left. But what I'm saying is that if most of the people who made Bioware great are gone is it still Bioware (the Bioware we know and love)?

Oh and since that's all you quoted me for:

Mass Effect 3 sucks, [http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=why+mass+effect+3+sucks&oq=why+mass+effect+3+sucks&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3...6684.12469.0.12753.15.13.0.2.2.0.320.1643.0j7j1j1.9.0...0.0.] the ending sucks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uyNV5vK_I] and you have incredibly low standards. -But we still love you.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
my point is regardless of Dragon age 2..EA or what people think of Mass effect 3 I would still be interested in whatever Bioware comes up with next

I assumed when refering to "old" bioare you were talking about baulders gate or KOTOR..or ME1

not sure who has left after ME3...but still

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vault101 said:
Flailing Escapist said:
my point is regardless of Dragon age 2..EA or what people think of Mass effect 3 I would still be interested in whatever Bioware comes up with next

I assumed when refering to "old" bioare you were talking about baulders gate or KOTOR..or ME1

not sure who has left after ME3...but still
You are right about people being interested in what Bioware is going to do next. It's just that some (including me) are more "wanting to see the train wreck" and "freaky science experiment gone wrong" gawkers than interested customers.

Let's face it, the Bioware that created many classics is gone and something else is trying (and failing) to wear its skin.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ed130 said:
You are right about people being interested in what Bioware is going to do next. It's just that some (including me) are more "wanting to see the train wreck" and "freaky science experiment gone wrong" gawkers than interested customers.

Let's face it, the Bioware that created many classics is gone and something else is trying (and failing) to wear its skin.
if that "sotmhing" is whatever created ME3 Ive got no issues

I mean steam has screwed me over in the past, is it right of me to seriously want steam and valve to collapse as a result?

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Vault101 said:
Ed130 said:
if that "sotmhing" is whatever created ME3 Ive got no issues

I mean steam has screwed me over in the past, is it right of me to seriously want steam and valve to collapse as a result?
Steam?

It's less about screwing over, more that Bioware is trying to reach wider audiences. That I don't really mind, I'm just not going to buy their games any more.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ed130 said:
Steam?

It's less about screwing over, more that Bioware is trying to reach wider audiences. That I don't really mind, I'm just not going to buy their games any more.
internet caps....

my point is that alot of people like steam and valve and their games

even if Bioware is declining or EA is a troll its still not right to wish them to die because theyve metaphorically screwed you over

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
animehermit said:
Flailing Escapist said:
The fuck? Did I say anything about ME3's ending? No. Okay then.

The only thing I'm saying is that I know the lead writers from Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age (I'm not sure what else they did) no longer work for Bioware. Apparently the composer for ME1 doesn't work for them either but I do have no idea how composers work. I also know quite a few other writers left after Dragon Age 2 and ME3 and I've heard of other people leaving.
The Lead writer for Dragon Age is David Gaider, he was also the lead writer for Dragon Age II. Drew Karpyshyn recently left to work on novels, He was the lead writer on Mass Effect, but left shortly into Mass Effect 2's development cycle to work on the Jedi Knight sotryline for TOR.
Okay, fuck, I guess I'm misinformed. But I'm a little more upset now.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I liked SWTOR too for about the first month or two and even bought the collectors edition which I somewhat regret now. (The statue is awesome though) But my god it was just missing so much right from the beginning. The PvP had 3 game types with 3 maps total, No Dungeon Finder, I personally had issue with keeping my level equal to the levelling zone, and I hated the design of most of the worlds that had no points of interest.

Only big thing was that the game had some interesting characters and a few interesting plot lines. Overall it has a lot it still needs improved.

In the end it even got me to get back into WoW after a half year break.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Vault101 said:
Ed130 said:
Steam?

internet caps....

my point is that alot of people like steam and valve and their games

even if Bioware is declining or EA is a troll its still not right to wish them to die because theyve metaphorically screwed you over
I think you misunderstand me, I do not wish the company known as Bioware to be dissolved. I do however believe that the Bioware who created many classics no longer exists.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Bat Vader said:
Imbechile said:
Good, good.....

Now if only EA would shut down Bioware, then it would really be a happy day.
Which would mean that the former Bioware employees could start up a new studio and make a spiritual sequel to Jade Empire. A happier ending would be if CDPeojekt Red bought Bioware from EA.

On Topic: If The Old Republic is ever shut down I would like to see it re-made as a single player game with each class story made available. I doubt it could ever be done.
Or Baldurs Gate 3. But then you'd have Jace Empire fans and Baldurs Gate fans fighting and that could be reeeeally messy.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
hmm, let me offer food for thought.

I played WoW for 6 years, and quit due issues with the lore breaking cataclysm.
Now all that aside I think an area a lot of MMo's fall down is the people who play them.
Very few people are truly welcoming or willing to help someone get their teeth around the gaming concepts. Instead laugh the person off as a noob or tell them to go interwebz it. Here's a tip you helping the "noob" is a bonding experience and they might stick to a subscription if they could find friendly nice people to group up with etc.
With WoW in particular "must have item level 1000+" before they would ever let you into their group, my question I always found myself asking was "were are the groups to get the 500 gear so I stand a chance in the dungeon to collect the 1000 gear so I can get into the 1000+ groups ?" Answer, particularly for WoW random groups.. that typically failed first boss in.. yeah now im having fun beating my head against a rock...
Then there is the friendly "helpful" guilds, but they forget to mention you will never get any help until you are max level with Uber gear, then they might start letting you tag along, if there is a space free in their tightly knit group. Very quickly you just turn into another number that boost the guilds stats.

So maybe it could be the game is full of assholes that turn the "noobs" away from the game. Just sayin..

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
animehermit said:
To be entirely fair, while I don't agree with the guy, he's right that there's some pretty heavy retconning going on in TOR. Specifically, most everything having to do with Revan and the Exile.

It's not terribly intrusive, nor is it something I find particular egregious, but it's definitely there.

The best example is the nature of the Sith Empire and Revan's reasons for going to the Dark Side. In KOTOR 1 & 2, it's established that Revan fell because he found out about the True Sith (which were some kind of eldritch abomination fueled by the Dark Side) after taking Malachor and decided that the Republic as it stood couldn't hope to beat it and so tried to conquer the galaxy to prepare them for the Sith invasion.

In TOR, they claim that Revan fell to the Dark Side because the Emperor mind-whammy'd him and wanted him to start a civil war to weaken the Republic. And that the True Sith were basically just red aliens instead of space-Cthulhu as they were touted as being in KOTOR.

That's a pretty substantial retcon. As I said, it never bothered me overmuch, but it's definitely there.