The oldest game you still play to this day?

Call Me Jose

That One Jose
Jul 4, 2012
Some games just have more bang for their buck, you can't seem to let go of them,which game is that for you? Mine while not really that old has got to be Smash Brothers Melee, haven't played it recently, but I look forward to every chance I get to play with friends.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Shiren the Wanderer. Old SNES graphical roguelike. Pretty excellent in basically every way. Also chess if you count that haha.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
A lot of NES games, Jackal, Crystalis, Journey to Silius, Legend of Zelda..

I don't go any older than NES era.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Final fantasy 1 . The original on the nes . The music is so nostalgic for me . It was the 2nd game i ever played . Made me fall in love with rpgs .

Also lufia . VERY dated by any standards ,but one of my favorite games .

Final fantasy 6 i play at least once a year . Always wished i was as cool as Sabin , or i got all the bitches like Edgar . Wtf does celes see in locke? I liked moogles before moogles were cool .

Inb4 Chrono trigger.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
You know I'm not sure actually. I think it might be Strider on the Mega Drive

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Altered Beast, that was the first game I've never played and I'm still not sick of it. I got the bosses down the a science, but the normal enemies still hit me...

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Depends on if you qualify it by how often I play it. I mean, I just recently finished a beating every single scenario in the SNES Aerobiz and Aerobiz Supersonic. I'm not even sure what year those came out. On the PC, I've got Diablo (1996) and Protostar: War on the Frontier (1993) as well as Syndicate and SimCity 2000 (all 1993) installed, but haven't fired them up in a while, and if source ports count, I got DOOM (1993) and Duke Nukem 3D (1996). I have a Herzog Zwei (1989) rom for my Genesis emulator, but I haven't played in quite a while...

And that's as far back as I'm willing to go right now...

Ah, Herzog Zwei memories... I think I'll go fire it up RIGHT NOW...

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I did recently play "Wilderness" a game from 1984 originally for Apple 2(man I'm old)
also, I recently had a nostalgiagasm playing "Day of the Tentacle"

But the ones I still play regularly? The classic RPGs: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 1&2, and as has already been mentioned, the great and powerful "Planescape: Torment." Bask in its glory.
and occasionally one of the good Final Fantasies

Harb

May 2, 2010
OpenTTD I believe, but since that is a mod, Broken Sword wins the round.

TaintedSaint said:
Plainscape Torment, Best Rpg ever made
+10 points for Planescape: Torment
-5 for messing up the name

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Mine would be Final Fantasy 1. I have the remastered version for the PS1 that also comes with the second game.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Without a doubt Tetris.

Aside from that, I occasionally try to get through Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and Planescape: Torment, but have never gotten close to finishing them, and the only one that I've gotten through a significant amount of it is Plascape: Torment.

I do play Morrowind with some regularity, and I plan on starting another character on it as soon as I get through most of my massive pile of just gotten games (damn you, Steam summer sale!).

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
evilneko said:
Depends on if you qualify it by how often I play it. I mean, I just recently finished a beating every single scenario in the SNES Aerobiz and Aerobiz Supersonic. I'm not even sure what year those came out. On the PC, I've got Diablo (1996) and Protostar: War on the Frontier (1993) as well as Syndicate and SimCity 2000 (all 1993) installed, but haven't fired them up in a while, and if source ports count, I got DOOM (1993) and Duke Nukem 3D (1996). I have a Herzog Zwei (1989) rom for my Genesis emulator, but I haven't played in quite a while...

And that's as far back as I'm willing to go right now...

Ah, Herzog Zwei memories... I think I'll go fire it up RIGHT NOW...
Isn't Herzog Zwei the first ever RTS?

OT: Shining Force 1 and 2 still get about 1 playthrough per year from me.

For games that came out before I was born, that's pretty god-damn impressive.

blah_ducks

Dec 21, 2009
Pokemon Crystal (2001 I believe) because I got bored and decided to nuzlocke it. This was actually my first video game ever and I've been playing it on the GameCube GBA player thingy.

Sep 14, 2009
not sure which one is older, and don't really care to go look it up

but for sega genesis, will pull out and play "captain america and the avengers" and the standard mighty morphin power rangers game that was out at the time for it, both of them are amazing for their time and my brother loves playin em with me, so we tend to play them at least once a month

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
J. Mazarin said:
Isn't Herzog Zwei the first ever RTS?
It very well might have been.

Quoth Wiki:
Herzog Zwei, released for the Sega Genesis in 1989, is the earliest example of a game with a feature set that falls under the contemporary definition of modern real-time strategy.[20][21]

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
OpticalJunction said:
Columns, 1989 sega mega drive. Still a decent puzzler to this day.
You've got to wonder why Sega hasn't brought that back as a cell phone or Facebook game. It's a great game, and it should do well with the casual market.

OT: I play games from all over the timeline, depending on my mood. Oldest I'm currently doing a run through of is Final Fantasy VII, but I've been known to go much farther back than that. I've even tried to do a playthrough of the original Starflight a few times, which is from 1987 if I remember right. I'll occasionally play an old arcade or console game that's even older than that, but it's very infrequent. I do love Pacman, though.

Edit: Not to mention the original Super Mario Bros..