The Only Person Alive Who Has Intentionally Avoided The Walking Dead

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I honestly have no idea what The Walking Dead is. Zombies?

Hell, the finale for LOST was the very first (and last) episode of the show I watched.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Watched the first episode because there was a party involved, but I'm not going to watch any more probably. I don't really care about tv.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Considering the fact that books are almost always better than movies/tv, I always try to watch the movie or whatever first. I won't be disappointed that way.
I don't know... Kick-Ass made a better Movie IMO.

werekitsune

Oct 18, 2009
Chill with this. I hear the walking dead tv show is really good, but the comics are only interesting for the first three trades and then suck major sack from then on. Just watch the show.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Aurgelmir said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Considering the fact that books are almost always better than movies/tv, I always try to watch the movie or whatever first. I won't be disappointed that way.
I don't know... Kick-Ass made a better Movie IMO.
They are different stories. The movie is a light-hearted comedy about a geek who wants to be a hero. The comic on the other hand is a twisted, cynical, in-your-face satire. It kicks your ass throughout the entire books and delivers a pretty depressing ending where the movie comes around the corner with the typical happily ever after story. I love the books and still like the movie but, yeah, they are totally different.

On topic:

My advice is to read the first 44 pgs. of the comic, then watch the first episode to get the best experience and, most importantly, a clear view of where the comic is going and what path the tv series takes.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
I find it makes no difference for me. If I'm going to be disappointed, I'll be disappointed no matter what order I watch it in, because I'll always be thinking "How in the hell did they fuck this up?"

Anyway, I don't have AMC, so I can't watch it, but I enjoyed the comics, so I will either stream or buy the DVDs when they eventually come out.

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
Krion_Vark said:
Those who have not yet seen The Walking Dead must ban together from the hordes of people who wish for them to see it.

WE MUST UNITE or we fall.
You will fail...for we are many.

Or you could just watch Breaking Bad, which is the shit.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
The Walking Dead is...well, the Comic is basically pure puppy strangling clinical depression fuel.
Pretty much this, everytime someone says to me that they wish that there was a zombie outbreak, I throw a couple issues of the comic at them and say "you really want this to happen?"

Only thing that really beats it for me is the second volume of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which ends on a really sour note.

photog212 said:
Krion_Vark said:
Those who have not yet seen The Walking Dead must ban together from the hordes of people who wish for them to see it.

WE MUST UNITE or we fall.
You will fail...for we are many.

Or you could just watch Breaking Bad, which is the shit.
Argh you reminded me I have to wait until 2011 before I get to figure out what happened after the cliffhanger in season 3.

Then again, I have this scene to watch over and over again. My god, I never thought that Hal from Malcolm in the Middle could be so badass:

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
The Only Person Alive Who Has Intentionally Avoided The Walking Dead

The Escapist has located this mythical beast, and she was hiding in plain sight.

Read Full Article
You're doing it wrong. Wouldn't it be better to just watch the show and enjoy it than to read the comics first and then obsess over every small difference? I never read the comics. Heck, I didn't know that the show was based on a comic until after the second episode. But I'm glad, since I avoid adaptation hell. Kinda like how I didn't ***** about Harry Potter movies since I never read the books, so they were fun and I wasn't burdened. I understand wanting to experience the source material first, but I'd say it just isn't worth it.

Also, I'll be up the shit creek with no paddle when Game of Thrones comes out on HBO this spring, being a huge fan of the books. I'll be in full-on nitpick mode and will likely watch every episode with the book open beside me to complain about every little omission and alteration. Not something I'm looking forward to but also not something I can prevent. So do yourself a favor and watch Walking Dead now, don't torture yourself now and even more so down the line. ;)

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
I haven't avoided the show, but after two episodes, I couldn't tell you why. I haven't the faintest idea what people are on about. The show isn't particularly bad, but there's nothing particularly good about it either. I realize that the comic probably served as the inspiration for other things, like High School of the Dead or Left 4 Dead, but frankly I find L4D's characters more likeable and interesting and the plot more believable and engaging.

I just don't see what it is in this show that people think it's so great. I don't know-- maybe it's me.

Stomponato

Jul 7, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
There's a huge paperback compendium of the first 48 issues of the comic series that I picked up a couple months ago. It makes for a great 2-3 day read, [...]
No, it doesn't. I skipped every other page of that book, and I seriously doubt I missed something important.