The Order: 1886 Runs at 30 FPS for a "Filmic Look"

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
My first thought was "but films run at 24 frames not 30"

If they cant run it at 60 fps they should just come out and say that. Dont feed us a bunch of lines about "filmic" looks because that sets up an expectation that wont be met.

However theres another thing that my conspiranoia brings up. What if this was just a ploy? Say theyre locking it at 30 fps, then try to score points with consumers as they announce they got it to run at 60 fps

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I personally don't care about games being locked at 30 fps because that's about what I usually get anyway but I don't really understand why a lower frame-rate = more filmic. Is this a thing or are they talking out of their ass to cover not being able to get 60?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
So running at 48HFR isn't an option then... I'm pretty sure some movies do that now, I could be mistaken, but yeah...

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
DementedSheep said:
I personally don't care about games being locked at 30 fps because that's about what I usually get anyway but I don't really understand why a lower frame-rate = more filmic. Is this a thing or are they talking out of their ass to cover not being able to get 60?
Movies and most TV shows are filmed at 24 FPS.

30 is a lot closer to that than 60
Is there any particular reason why they run at 24? What is the actual benefit? I really can't see a lower fps changing look of a game much in a positive way.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Gundam GP01 said:
DementedSheep said:
Movies and most TV shows are filmed at 24 FPS.

30 is a lot closer to that than 60
Is there any particular reason why they run at 24? What is the actual benefit? I really can't see a lower fps changing look of a game much in a positive way.
Because that's all old TV's and Cameras could record at and no one has ever really bothered to update the technology since... we all have these wonder 100hz TV's yet nothing that airs actually takes advantage of the fact.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
This announcement was going to go poorly whether or not it was true.

It doesn't matter if it could actually run at 60 fps. People will decide that they are lying and nothing will convince them otherwise, because they'd rather be cynical and right than optimistic and wrong.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
Yes, the PS4 is weaker than my mid range rig. But if those scrawny stats forced them to use the lower framerate, and we get a game with a neat artistic vision because of it? Then awesome.
I fail to see any artistic or stylistic substance in framerate....

I mean going for a stylised style is working within your limits

30FPS? thats just having limits

Elijin said:
This video game is meant to be a retro/noir thing with an old style and dark storyline isnt? In other words, even if it is a case of not being able to get to 60, they saw a way to embrace that thematically, and went for it. Good for them, screw all of you.
!
I wouldnt care if 30fps was too hard for them technically...but calling it "artistic" is just reaching...and dishonest

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
But movies look shit at 24FPS. Having scene the Hobbit and season 2 of Video Game High School at 48FPS, I much prefer a sharper image and something that looks...well, more real. The sluggish movments in film can fuck right off.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Elijin said:
This video game is meant to be a retro/noir thing with an old style and dark storyline isnt? In other words, even if it is a case of not being able to get to 60, they saw a way to embrace that thematically, and went for it. Good for them, screw all of you.
By that logic, shouldn't Lord of the Rings really be shown as nothing more than a series of wood block prints?

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
The difference with film is that each frame is slightly blurred because of the motion of the actors and anything else being filmed. This leads to it looking smooth. However, video games give a sharp image as it's rendered, since the footage isn't being filmed, which is why anything below 50 or 60 fps looks so choppy.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Well thats what happens when you make a game for a "supercharged PC", shame really because the art style and world for this game look interesting. Yet its going to be less than it could be because of the hardware limitations, so far this gen of consoles is disappointing as they are just slight improvements over the last.

Still games do look a bit better than the last gen and console only players get to experience games the way PC gamers did a few years back.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
beef_razor said:
I still don't get this 60 vs 30 fps thing. I have games that run both and the difference is so small to me it doesn't even matter. Maybe I'm missing something here.
A lot of it is more to do with "feel" than it is "look".

A game at 60fps is smoother to play, it's smoother to aim with, it's easier to time dodges, it just "feels" more responsive and the animation feels far more crisp.

At 30 fps, as others have said you end up with a slightly choppy feel, 30-60fps can mean the difference between getting that head shot and just missing it, which is why frame rate is seen as such a big deal, noticeable or not, the difference is simply a smoother more responsive experience.

Of course unless you have a side by side comparison it can be tough to noticeably spot the aforementioned difference.

This website is a great way of illustrating the difference it can make: http://www.30vs60fps.com/

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheKasp said:
Bullshitisment?
the red ring of death provides you with an excuse to get a shiney new console! who doesn't like new things!?

those pixelated textures are a retro callback!

the microtransaction make the game go faster for you!

we downgraded the graphics so you can fill in the detail with your imagination!

the ending tells you absolutly nothing so you can make up your own ending!

....works for me

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
you had to go ahead and ruin my analogy didnt you?

fine, 2 legged chair einstein
Worth noting your analogy still works, just not in your favour.

See, some people clearly think the only way to make a decent working chair, is with 4 legs. They feel thats the only way to go. But you can build decent working chairs with any number of legs, and still get a great chair. There isnt a single way to do things.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
I'm always loath to engage in such discussions as these, but this is, quite simply, absolute next-level bullshit. If they truly wanted to go all the way with the aesthetic, to truly make the art they apparently wanted to make, then they should have simply locked it at 24 FPS and got the look they were going for. The difference between 24 FPS and 30 FPS is a lot less than the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, as I'm sure we can all agree.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elijin said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
you had to go ahead and ruin my analogy didnt you?

fine, 2 legged chair einstein
Worth noting your analogy still works, just not in your favour.

See, some people clearly think the only way to make a decent working chair, is with 4 legs. They feel thats the only way to go. But you can build decent working chairs with any number of legs, and still get a great chair. There isnt a single way to do things.
you completely missed the point of my analogy

my analogy was that, by trying to make an object better at something it isnt, you may end up making the object worse for the purpose it was created

maybe i shouldve used cars for my analogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

believe me, i dont doubt these devs can accomplish the "hard" task of making a video game that runs at 30 FPS, but if you actually made the game run at 30 FPS for artistic reasons, to make it look like a film (something that obviously wasnt the case, this is a very poor excuse) they make their creation a worse video game

Remaiki said:
I'm always loath to engage in such discussions as these, but this is, quite simply, absolute next-level bullshit. If they truly wanted to go all the way with the aesthetic, to truly make the art they apparently wanted to make, then they should have simply locked it at 24 FPS and got the look they were going for. The difference between 24 FPS and 30 FPS is a lot less than the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, as I'm sure we can all agree.
actually no, yes is less frames per second, but a game at 30 FPS is very playable, a game at 24 FPS, almost isnt