The Oregon shooting

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Sarge034 said:
Look at your continued verbiage and tell me you didn't want to believe it was true because it supported your bias. I live in "crazy land", I own guns, I own an "assault weapon" (not an AK or AR so good luck guessing what it is), and somehow I have no intentions of shooting up a school. How about you take your holier art thou attitude and stow it. Europe has plenty of gun violence too ya know. Why do we want them? They're fun to shoot. Why do you need anything more than food and water? Perhaps because you enjoy it?

"Look at your continued verbiage and tell me you didn't want to believe it was true because it supported your bias" sorry but as homer simpson said "you take forever to say nothing", what you basically just said is "you say what you say 'cos you believe it to be true" well, doesn't everybody who isn't lying?

Oh, is it a who-gives-monkeys 47? I hear they are really ineffective assault rifles though, when you pull the trigger the bullets just drop out the end and when it fires it sounds like "meh"? I'm joking, this conversation doesn't need to be all serious, does it? It doesn't really matter what gun you have now, does it?

We have to cater to the psychopaths and dummies and the "how are you still alive!?" ... we have cars that go WAY over 150MPH, yet the fastest most countries allow you to go is 60 (an obligatory, "all hail the German Autobahn!". There are probably other roads like this though). We have mind bending drugs, we just can't use them 'cos then people get a little ... anti social. We have guns that let you mow down people like you trimming the lawn and you can go fucking bananas with them!

Every other things that can cause harm has a limit or is against the law, except a tool of death! Sure you can clay pigeon shoot or shoot an outline of a man or something but why do you do that? So you're better at killing things! Either deer or humans or whatever else. Absolutely any twitchy person who drags his knuckles can get a gun and you support that!? No checks or anything just "hey, scary Pete, come back in 3 days and you got yourself a means to kill!"

"I enjoy punching people in the face, why can't I do it!?". A good reason for guns isn't "'cos I likes it" ... I like speeding but the police don't. I like blasting my favourite metal song at 5 am and the neighbours let me know they like it by banging along. I liked owning slaves ... well, no I don't but you get the point.

There is zero and I mean zero, zip, nothing, no, nada reason to own a gun, except to go to kill.

I get it, you like to feel the rush of feeling powerful, holding something that cause so much damage ... I've watched FPS Russia, putting watermelons on a table, then letting rip, gets the blood flowing.

But in a society that is come to accept school shootings, it needs to change. Something like 143 school shootings AFTER Sandy Hook? How many is that after columbine? How many before? How many people have died, due to guns, at school? How many aren't alive that should have been (including babies that should have been born)? That's ok though 'cos you like guns ...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
TechNoFear said:
No proper definition?

You mean apart from all those comprehensive definitions in various US state and federal acts?
You mean the definition which does vary from each potential and handful of passed laws and even moreso from public opinion? Ask someone in San Francisco what an "assault weapon" is and then ask someone in Tuscon.
So you are saying the features banned under the AWB do not in any way improve the 'performance' of the firearm?
Not particularly, no. Closest you'd get would be a grenade launcher and, well, no one shooting up anywhere is going to spend the unholy amount of green you'd need for one of those.
If these features were not of benefit why are those features common on military firearms?
Depends on which arms you're speaking of but those features you'll more commonly find on military arms, yes.
Are the armed forces just a bunch of 'idiots who thinks it looks cool' to put those features on their firearms?
No, that'd be equipping your forces with the best possible/what matches their use and heavy training to use these arms to their maximum ability.
As for some of the other excess, well, you tell me what you'd do if your defense budget made what you use to fund schools look like pocket change.

stroopwafel said:
That always sounds like a bogus excuse to me. How the hell are you going to defend against tanks
Well, you'd primarily be seeking to disable the tank by blowing the treads or generally affecting its ability to move. In an urban area, that's a pretty horrifying experience for the crew.
jets/drones/attack choppers
Significantly harder but in two of the three, they need to land somewhere and you would attack their ability to refuel/rearm. Drones have a similar limitation but a weakness the other two don't have, which is the possibility of peeking on the feed from the drone and possibly even preventing control.

weapons from outer space
Ignoring how awesome and silly that is at the same time, it brings up the issue with using these weapons up to actual WMDs on American soil, which is not going to do you any favors, particularly in dense urban areas. Basically convert the situation in the Middle East to the US and the headlines from "three *insert wherever we've invaded for oil here* children killed in drone attack to "three American children killed in drone attack".

with a pistol and a shotgun?
The US populace has access to far more than you're actually thinking, not even going into what can be made from basic supplies from pretty much any hardware store.
That whole Waco incident from years back kind of dispels that whole myth that small arms serve as a deterrent against the government. Those fruitbags were armed to the teeth and they didn't stand a chance against a chopper and a tank.
Well, you're now technically arguing for access to heavier firepower!
But really, Waco is a very... special case. Not saying it's not possibly an example for your argument but, it's a special case like this is a special case.
Sure, it might have made some sense centuries ago when it was civilians against musqueteers on horses but nowadays such logic is more than a little ridiculous.
Now it'd be hundreds of millions of guns floating around with infantry and light to heavy armor trying to control a city like LA. I would not have my money on the tanks or soldiers.
In modern society guns in the hands of civilians are just accidents waiting to happen again and again and again.
Accidents of what kind? You're meaning the accidents that happen with virtually anything else someone can be stupid with?

Politrukk said:
Well that reiterates my point then I suppose!

You're the second person to second that opinion and I can't say I've personally experienced it only what it all looks like to an outsider so to speak.
Jot me down as the third person to second that opinion.

erttheking said:
I'm just going to throw something out here. Apparently only 4% of violence in America is committed by the mentally ill, and the mentally ill are actually more likely to be the victims of violent crime than perpetrators. So I don't think this is really a mentally ill thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318286/
Which is why when our President goes on national television to throw an entire group of people under the bus to further an agenda, it really does not help matters at all.

Dalisclock said:
Hell, the US military, due to certain shitty political decisions over the past 15 years, now has about a decade of experience in fighting a counter-insurgency in urban areas against people who generally don't like or support them. Not to mention the military is sworn to uphold the orders of those appointed over them, not the guys who living in the backwoods who see the ACA and gay marriage as evidence of government tyranny(as opposed to holding people indefinitely as enemy combatants and using torture tactics on them because they might be terrorists).
You also have an assload of vets who did not exactly enjoy being sent to desert nowhere in "service of their country" to be treated like nothing by their government when they come back.

And, the wording of the current oath of enlistment:
""I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Sworn to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, which would if it came to it include the President and superior officers. Plus, you're encouraged to know a lawful order from an unlawful order, and not follow unlawful orders.

Politrukk said:
people call it a "mentally ill" thing because they consider people who have suffered abuse for countless of years who then decide to shoot everything that moves because they're so sick of it "mentally sick"
Better term would probably just be "utterly fed up".
as I stated before it's more of a societal/educational thing for the U.S there's a factor in the U.S that leads to so many people having breakdowns and going/wanting to go on murder sprees, the guns are just the tools they utilize to live out their frustrations.
It's kind of like Japan except it comes out as mass sexual assaults on females in subways and high suicide rates with the occasional really vomit inducing murder.
There's a percentage of Americans who think that owning guns is normal, that gun crime is normal, that the rest of the world is just like the U.S or otherwise should be shaped in their image, they can't fathom the fact that they might be wrong, very wrong indeed.
To America, owning guns is a normal thing, and gun crime happens. The vast majority of Americans understand that the rest of the world is not like the US and has no desire to be. We don't want to be you and you don't want to be us.

The US gets the idea pretty easily. The same could be said of other countries but we don't butt in on the affairs of others. The People at least, the military and government is a bit of a different case.

Lense-Thirring said:
The truth is that we have no idea what gun sales really look like, because of laws and congressional actions to prevent data collection. By "Strenghten the ATF" I mean "Actually give it a director this year maybe". It's a country that constantly and relentlessly undermines all efforts to study and regulate firearms. Then when anyone wants to gather data or regulate, the fact that poor data exists is used to prevent any change.

It would be funny, but so many people are dying.
Because people reeeaaalllly don't like the ATF and how it just makes what it feels like illegal by some incredibly stupid logic. Well, that on top of them being an agency that is by very function, an infringement of the right to bear arms.

Petromir said:
The UK often comes up in these discussions as having strict firearm regulations (often mistakenly suggesting a complete ban).
To be fair, the UK is not that far from a complete ban.
Yet still the use of a firearm or shotgun (often seperated in UK law, certainly in licensing terms) in self defence is legal if it is reasonable for you to be in fear of your life. Restriction of firearms legally does not by any means remove the ability to defend oneself entirely.
That varies greatly in application, be it with a firearm or not.
It is true self defence is not a reason to own a firearm here, (hunting, pest control and target shooting are pretty much it), but that does not preclude their use where life is in danger.
Alright.
The rules aren't the clearest on what constitutes sufficient reason, but if you shoot someone,brandishing a weapon, advancing up the stairs towards you, in the front, assuming your weapon is legally owned and stored, then you're likely fine.
The law appears to leave it very open to label a case of self defense as murder.
We also have no lower age limit of shotgun licences.... (Though those under 18 require other licensees for usage, storage, etc).
I always have a bit of a good-hearted laugh on how age limitations are so similar yet so different for various things between our countries.
Also that the right to bear arms is an amendment should be a clue that the US constitution is not a document set in stone.
Sure, it can be changed. Other amendments have been added and removed. We just have not decided to change it. Might that change in the future? Sure. Doesn't look like anytime soon however.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
https://bigtonysfantasyleague.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/missed-the-point.png

Except...all of those violent crimes are still happening. And while our mental health care system is something in DRASTIC need of improvements, fixing it won't fix the violent crimes like many here have claimed.

Anyway, just as many Republicans do this too. Donald freaking Trump pulled this argument.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
"Look at your continued verbiage and tell me you didn't want to believe it was true because it supported your bias" sorry but as homer simpson said "you take forever to say nothing", what you basically just said is "you say what you say 'cos you believe it to be true" well, doesn't everybody who isn't lying?
Weeeellllllll... nope, not going there.
Oh, is it a who-gives-monkeys 47? I hear they are really ineffective assault rifles though, when you pull the trigger the bullets just drop out the end and when it fires it sounds like "meh"? I'm joking, this conversation doesn't need to be all serious, does it? It doesn't really matter what gun you have now, does it?
I don't know, does it?
We have to cater to the psychopaths and dummies and the "how are you still alive!?" ... we have cars that go WAY over 150MPH, yet the fastest most countries allow you to go is 60 (an obligatory, "all hail the German Autobahn!". There are probably other roads like this though). We have mind bending drugs, we just can't use them 'cos then people get a little ... anti social.
I think I went a bit into this previously but public roads and driving is a bit of a different thing and, you can still go as fast as you like on private land, with differences being public roads have stupid limitations and you can say driving technically isn't a right, or you can say it is because right to travel but we're getting into a different discussion here aren't we?

Drugs, why not let people do what they want with their bodies? People get anti-social when drunk. Being social sucks. ect.

We have guns that let you mow down people like you trimming the lawn and you can go fucking bananas with them!
Are you saying "mow down people like you while you're trimming the lawn" or "mow people down like you are trimming a lawn"?
It's a bit more telling that's what comes to mind when you mention firearms.
Every other things that can cause harm has a limit or is against the law
My wood saw has a law against it?
Sure you can clay pigeon shoot or shoot an outline of a man or something but why do you do that? So you're better at killing things!
Or just to have a better aim to score better shots...?
Either deer or humans or whatever else. Absolutely any twitchy person who drags his knuckles can get a gun and you support that!?
Well, I don't know his stance on any background checks but personally I'm pretty far into the "guns for everybody" spectrum, and many people do not agree with me on that.
Yes, Twitchy McKnucklegrind has a right to have a gun. You are making assumptions based on his appearance but then you hear him speak and realize he knows an assload about firearms, respects them, treats them with care, and would not hurt a fly. He loves firearms for mechanical reasons.
No checks or anything just "hey, scary Pete, come back in 3 days and you got yourself a means to kill!"
Well, waiting periods can count as a general restriction and for something like California, additional checks are run during a ten day period but now I'm just picking at words.
Checks... the base I can get around to but there are a bunch of things that make it very easy to not have firearms access and a check itself infringes upon the right so, personally I'm not supportive of checks but I'm an extreme minority on that and I do realize that.
"I enjoy punching people in the face, why can't I do it!?".
Because you're assaulting someone?
A good reason for guns isn't "'cos I likes it"
Sure it is! Why wouldn't it be?
... I like speeding but the police don't.
Again, different case, ect ect.
I like blasting my favourite metal song at 5 am and the neighbours let me know they like it by banging along.
Well in that instance your neighbors are enjoying the music or you're being inconsiderate, I'm not sure which based on your description. Difference being, people can go to ranges and remote areas to practice instead of their tightly confined neighborhood and do for general safety, you're giving an example of willfully being a dick, which is possible with anything. Take into consideration your neighbors or soundproof your house.
I liked owning slaves ... well, no I don't but you get the point.
We're seriously comparing gun ownership to slave ownership again?
There is zero and I mean zero, zip, nothing, no, nada reason to own a gun, except to go to kill.
Wrong.
I get it, you like to feel the rush of feeling powerful, holding something that cause so much damage ... I've watched FPS Russia, putting watermelons on a table, then letting rip, gets the blood flowing.
I cannot take your argument seriously anymore by comparing every gun owner to someone who is on YouTube making money firing expensive firearms appealing to the lowest common denominator.
But in a society that is come to accept school shootings, it needs to change. Something like 143 school shootings AFTER Sandy Hook?
Got a source for that?
How many is that after columbine? How many before?
I don't know, I don't have the numbers in front of me.
How many people have died, due to guns, at school?
So, we're totally ignoring the person using the guns again?
How many aren't alive that should have been (including babies that should have been born)?
Again, I'd have to look at the numbers.
That's ok though 'cos you like guns ...
Yes, I do. Many people do. The absolute vast majority of gun owners have not shot up a school, or anywhere else for that matter. When a gun walks/floats into a crowded area and shoots people by itself, then talk about how guns are the issue, and not people.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
https://bigtonysfantasyleague.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/missed-the-point.png

Except...all of those violent crimes are still happening. And while our mental health care system is something in DRASTIC need of improvements, fixing it won't fix the violent crimes like many here have claimed.

Anyway, just as many Republicans do this too. Donald freaking Trump pulled this argument.
Pulled what argument, where? My claim is that it is a societal issue, not a rights issue.

What did Trump pull because I haven't been following him?

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Mik Sunrider said:
The Constitution is relevant to this discussion, it is the bases of our laws, it stop the Government from dictating how you must live your life.

How many people die every year from drunk drivers? Should we ban everyone from owning a car on the outside chance that someone will die in an accident caused by an irresponsible adult who gets behind a wheel of a car while intoxicated? Should we ban liquor again? Worked out great the last time, didn't?

Also remember, we can't touch these crazy people until they demonstrate that they are and/or do pose a serious risk to themselves or others. So until they commit crimes, we can not hospitalize them nor force them to take medication to help them be less crazy.
This might have come up again somewhere but I'm not going to read all 16 pages...

Did you really compare those two?

Liquor laws are WAY fucking stronger than gun laws, WAY stronger. In the US you: can't drink over a certain amount and drive, bars that server clearly intoxicated people can be prosecuted, you need to be 21 to drink, you can't drink in certain areas, etc... There are literally hundreds of laws in place to prevent/hinder drinking and driving...

There are people WHO ARE AGAINST BACKGROUND CHECKS TO BUY GUNS. Jesus titty fornicating savior there are people who legitimately are against the idea that MAYBE just MAYBE we should make sure the person we're giving a high powered killing machine to aren't getting the wrong idea.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
A lot of people are arguing, in this thread no less, that school shootings are the result of faulty mental health care. That is not the case.

Trump said that.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
No, it doesn't matter what gun it is, thought I said that ...

Man, you're America is a scary ass place to be. Guns for everybody. No speed limits. Drugs for everybody ... just no laws or what? At this point, I'm sorry to say but I can't take you seriously.

Yeah, your saw has a law against it. Try getting a 3 year old to buy it.

"Or just to have a better aim to score better shots...?" so you can what? Why do you want to shoot more accurately?

Twitchy McKnucklegrind might be the next school shooter. You assume people breaking into your house and there to murder you 'cos people wanting to rob you definitely mean they want to kill you but good old Twitch should have a gun?

Yeah but freedom? you just I can own fire a gun out of a speeding car, high on speed but punching somebody is a no no?

Actually the slave thing was from Jim Jeffries video, I can tell you've watched it. I don't see the point in being all serious all the time. Even arguments can have comedy, stops things getting shouty.

Sorry, whut? FPSRussia shoots guns at stuff for fun, uploads it to youtube and makes money. You go down the range, shoot stuff. The difference is he only appeals to the lowest common denominator? Everybody who is for gun control sees you like that, you do know that right? I don't want to be offensive but I'm being honest.

I'm sure you could google how many school shootings since Sandy Hook but I am feeling generous, well I feel like shit 'cos I have a cold but anyway it was 142, my mistake. http://everytown.org/article/schoolshootings/

What I meant by "using a gun" is, people can die from all sorts of things, couple of kids died at my school after a bus hit them ... maybe they died in wood shop or something, which wouldn't count. I was just speaking about being "capped".

Why are you saying "I don't have the numbers in front of me"? You're on the internet, look them up? Unless you know they will ruin your argument? Hehe, I tease.

Most drugs haven't injected themselvs into peoples vains, yet still banned. You don't raise a stink about that but guns?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
stroopwafel said:
Shock and Awe said:
My issue with your argument is that it presupposes that arms are not an integral aspect of American civil liberties and the security of both the individual and the nation as a whole. It has been proven time and time again that a government that isn't checked will endlessly expand and will tread upon individual rights. We see crimes countless times in history, and in countless places today that are committed by governments upon unarmed and vulnerable people. Why should we sell out liberty for a temporary false sense of security? Thats exactly what a consent to register is. It allows arms to be taken quite quickly by state action. Whether by act of law or due to emergency situations like Katrina that saw countless confiscations.
That always sounds like a bogus excuse to me. How the hell are you going to defend against tanks/jets/drones/attack choppers/weapons from outer space with a pistol and a shotgun? That whole Waco incident from years back kind of dispels that whole myth that small arms serve as a deterrent against the government. Those fruitbags were armed to the teeth and they didn't stand a chance against a chopper and a tank.

Sure, it might have made some sense centuries ago when it was civilians against musqueteers on horses but nowadays such logic is more than a little ridiculous. In modern society guns in the hands of civilians are just accidents waiting to happen again and again and again.
Its astounding to me that the people who apparently know so much about the military capability of the United States don't also know the military is also chock full of conservatives who care quite a lot about their liberties, and also aren't big fans of shooting their countrymen. In any scenario where there was some mass insurrection, there would have to be a pretty damn good cause considering American stability, and military members wouldn't just go and blast people. There would be a lot switching sides.

You also seem to believe that tanks and drones can patrol all the streets, and police a nation. They can't. That takes soldiers running around on foot and in soft targets. You also seem to be ignoring literally every war we have fought for the last twenty years where guerrilla tactics have beaten or been a significant obstacle for us, even without the morale factor of fighting your own people who you honestly, probably agree with.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
A lot of people are arguing, in this thread no less, that school shootings are the result of faulty mental health care. That is not the case.

Trump said that.
A lot of people. Not me unless I'm not knowing what I'm typing anymore. School shootings are an issue of people deciding that going into a school and making people swiss cheese is a very wonderful idea.
Looks like I need to pay attention to what he's saying because I don't think I know much of anything about the candidates at the moment and I've just plugged him under "Chapter 11 America".

omega 616 said:
No, it doesn't matter what gun it is, thought I said that ...
Alrighty.
Man, you're America is a scary ass place to be. Guns for everybody. No speed limits. Drugs for everybody ... just no laws or what? At this point, I'm sorry to say but I can't take you seriously.
Something something Mad Max.
Yeah, your saw has a law against it. Try getting a 3 year old to buy it.
That a law or store policy? Varies by state I imagine.
"Or just to have a better aim to score better shots...?" so you can what? Why do you want to shoot more accurately?
Why do people want to score home runs in baseball?
Twitchy McKnucklegrind might be the next school shooter. You assume people breaking into your house and there to murder you 'cos people wanting to rob you definitely mean they want to kill you but good old Twitch should have a gun?
Mr. Fine Citizenson might be a school shooter. I'm not paranoid enough to believe every person with a firearm is a potential school shooter like every person with a car isn't driving drunk and running people over.
Yeah but freedom? you just I can own fire a gun out of a speeding car, high on speed but punching somebody is a no no?
One is assault, the other is possibly several felonies or fun in a patch of dirt. Which one it is heavily depends on the circumstances. Hell, punching someone in the face can be good fun if you're boxing, so yeah. Circumstances bud.
Actually the slave thing was from Jim Jeffries video, I can tell you've watched it. I don't see the point in being all serious all the time. Even arguments can have comedy, stops things getting shouty.
Totally. Sometimes comedians can make us realize things through funny political commentary, or just give us a laugh, usually at ourselves.
Sorry, whut? FPSRussia shoots guns at stuff for fun, uploads it to youtube and makes money. You go down the range, shoot stuff. The difference is he only appeals to the lowest common denominator? Everybody who is for gun control sees you like that, you do know that right? I don't want to be offensive but I'm being honest.
Actually, there are varying degrees of what people consider acceptable levels of gun control and someone arguing for background checks can be a far cry from someone wanting only military to have firearms. Just like how I'm an extreme in rights, many people will not agree with me.
I'm sure you could google how many school shootings since Sandy Hook but I am feeling generous, well I feel like shit 'cos I have a cold but anyway it was 142, my mistake. http://everytown.org/article/schoolshootings/
So, how many were gang shootings aimed at high schoolers that happened to take place on/near school property? Though, will be looking up each in depth when I have the chance though, Everytown is... a bit biased, on top of bordering on self parody.
What I meant by "using a gun" is, people can die from all sorts of things, couple of kids died at my school after a bus hit them ... maybe they died in wood shop or something, which wouldn't count. I was just speaking about being "capped".
Death is a terrible thing. Sad that you're not caring about it in general.
Why are you saying "I don't have the numbers in front of me"? You're on the internet, look them up? Unless you know they will ruin your argument? Hehe, I tease.
Actually I meant my connection and the time it'd take, but I have a better connection and... probably enough time to collect numbers at the moment now after I'm done with crap.
Most drugs haven't injected themselvs into peoples vains, yet still banned. You don't raise a stink about that but guns?
Actually, I do raise a stink about it. Government has no business in what one puts into their body, be it an apple, junk food, or even hardcore narcotics.

EDIT:Actually, wow. Picked one of those "shootings" at random. Corona del Sol High School in Tempe, AZ. Decided to go for it because AZ is a pretty progun state.

Kid had a gun on campus, committed suicide. No attacks on other students, sole intention was to end his own life.

Feel terrible for the kid. It's a school shooting in the most base definition of "firearm discharge on school premises", but is not a shooting of students or faculty and nothing like the Oregon shooting either. I'm willing to bet many if not most of these fall under the same category. Another case of Everytown bias and abuse of the definition of statistics in action.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Alrighty, I'll poke my head into this beehive to ask one question. That that is...why?

Look, every time one of these happens, everyone gets very upset and immediately starts squabbling about gun control. Okay, fair enough. And mental health care usually gets thrown in as well. Also fair enough. Both are important points that need addressing, even if an actual solution to those problems isn't immediately visible. However, I'm left scratching my head as to why so many of these individuals go on school shooting sprees in the first place. I mean, America's not the only country that has guns available. Maybe others don't have as many, but even so. And it's also not the only country that has mentally ill people with troubling views about society and violent tendencies. So why then does America have so many shootings while other countries don't? Do they just want the media attention? Is it because infamy is better than obscurity and shooting up a school is a first class ticket to everyone knowing your name? Is it just an easy way to take out their frustrations? What's going on?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Alrighty, I'll poke my head into this beehive to ask one question. That that is...why?

Look, every time one of these happens, everyone gets very upset and immediately starts squabbling about gun control. Okay, fair enough. And mental health care usually gets thrown in as well. Also fair enough. Both are important points that need addressing, even if an actual solution to those problems isn't immediately visible. However, I'm left scratching my head as to why so many of these individuals go on school shooting sprees in the first place. I mean, America's not the only country that has guns available. Maybe others don't have as many, but even so. And it's also not the only country that has mentally ill people with troubling views about society and violent tendencies. So why then does America have so many shootings while other countries don't? Do they just want the media attention? Is it because infamy is better than obscurity and shooting up a school is a first class ticket to everyone knowing your name? Is it just an easy way to take out their frustrations? What's going on?
Shooting up a school is sexy, don't you know? You get all that glorious news reel time, talking about the dark recess of your tortured, enigmatic mind. Your methods are felated, and your motives are discussed with sharp breathes.

And that's a mundane example; I probably couldn't find it now, but I remember some of the reports about Columbine using very romantic language, describing how "With long leather jackets and gleaming assault weapons, the killers clicked the safeties off, and stared firing into the crowd."

Basically, we keep feeding the trolls.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
It's true, you didn't say that. But you quoted me and made what I said about something completely different to what it was. So I felt the need to point out what I meant.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
erttheking said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
It's true, you didn't say that. But you quoted me and made what I said about something completely different to what it was. So I felt the need to point out what I meant.
Oh. Well... um.
Thank you for clarification.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Shock and Awe said:
Its astounding to me that the people who apparently know so much about the military capability of the United States don't also know the military is also chock full of conservatives who care quite a lot about their liberties, and also aren't big fans of shooting their countrymen. In any scenario where there was some mass insurrection, there would have to be a pretty damn good cause considering American stability, and military members wouldn't just go and blast people. There would be a lot switching sides.
The last few riots showed the conservatives strongly against the rioters, though. IMHO, conservative US rising up against Obama or whatever is much less likely than the next Ferguson turning really ugly.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
LegendaryGamer0 said:
stroopwafel said:
In modern society guns in the hands of civilians are just accidents waiting to happen again and again and again.
Accidents of what kind? You're meaning the accidents that happen with virtually anything else someone can be stupid with?
You kind of answered your own question. I don't know how to explain that having ''hundreds of millions of guns floating around'' that pretty much everyone in the U.S. has access to is a really bad idea. I really don't.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Shock and Awe said:
The last few riots showed the conservatives strongly against the rioters, though. IMHO, conservative US rising up against Obama or whatever is much less likely than the next Ferguson turning really ugly.
I was about to say this. It tends to depend on who is doing the uprising. Sympathy isn't immediately guaranteed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Shock and Awe said:
There's also quite s significant number who would see armed resistance against the government as high treason, conservative or not.

Hell, there's quite a few members of the military who consider Bowe Bergdahl a dirty traitor who should be shot and all he did was go awol and get himself captured. Not to mention the intense hatred Manning and Snowden get for activities which could be considered whistle-blowing.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Qizx said:
Mik Sunrider said:
The Constitution is relevant to this discussion, it is the bases of our laws, it stop the Government from dictating how you must live your life.

How many people die every year from drunk drivers? Should we ban everyone from owning a car on the outside chance that someone will die in an accident caused by an irresponsible adult who gets behind a wheel of a car while intoxicated? Should we ban liquor again? Worked out great the last time, didn't?

Also remember, we can't touch these crazy people until they demonstrate that they are and/or do pose a serious risk to themselves or others. So until they commit crimes, we can not hospitalize them nor force them to take medication to help them be less crazy.
This might have come up again somewhere but I'm not going to read all 16 pages...

Liquor laws are WAY fucking stronger than gun laws, WAY stronger. In the US you: can't drink over a certain amount and drive, bars that server clearly intoxicated people can be prosecuted, you need to be 21 to drink, you can't drink in certain areas, etc... There are literally hundreds of laws in place to prevent/hinder drinking and driving...

There are people WHO ARE AGAINST BACKGROUND CHECKS TO BUY GUNS. Jesus titty fornicating savior there are people who legitimately are against the idea that MAYBE just MAYBE we should make sure the person we're giving a high powered killing machine to aren't getting the wrong idea.
Bolding is mine ...

Yes we have many laws to prevent people from driving drunk and yet how many people are still killed everyday by drunk drivers? How many repeat offenders do we have arrested every year?

And background checks, well that worthless piece Human waste [http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=0] got all fourteen of his firearms legally. He passed the background check, since he had no criminal history or that of a mentally unstable person.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Mik Sunrider said:
Qizx said:
Mik Sunrider said:

Bolding is mine ...

Yes we have many laws to prevent people from driving drunk and yet how many people are still killed everyday by drunk drivers? How many repeat offenders do we have arrested every year?

And background checks, well that worthless piece Human waste [http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=0] got all fourteen of his firearms legally. He passed the background check, since he had no criminal history or that of a mentally unstable person.
Not saying it will prevent all shootings, but as it's been said if we can't stop all, why even try? There are a number of shootings in which it WOULD have stopped if properly performed. (The shooting at the black church for example). Yes drunk driving still occurs, but those checks we put in place help to stop them, and I'm certain have reduced the deaths by an exponential amount. Your argument is "because drunk driving still happens even with regulation, we shouldn't regulate guns, as shootings will still happen." I put forth the opposite, counter measures to drunk driving, while not preventing all auto fatalities relating to it, have put a MAJOR dent in the damage it would cause. So yeah we can't prevent all tragedies, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Also by saying he was able to get all these guns legally you're kind of hurting your point... If it had been illegal he wouldn't have had as many, and wouldn't have been as effective.

TLDR: Gun control won't stop all gun crime, but it would stop enough to be worth it.

EDIT: Just read this an article http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34450062 that mentions he CLEARLY did have some mental instability so he probably shouldn't have gotten all those guns.