The Other Mrs. Doctor Who

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Insightful as always Susan! And I really must watch more of the original series. o.o

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Perhaps other folks can chime in on whether or not they see the Classic Docs as chaste or not?
I always thought that the 4th Doctor and Romana v2 were in the sack together. That change in dynamic you mentioned - where they seemed to become equals, and the banter started. To me, that rang of how one speaks with his or her lover.

I realize a lot of that comes from the fact that the actors were in the sack, but the writers (and the writing) seemed to reflect that and imply it as well. You don't talk to your students like that - you don't talk to your friends like that either.

Well, unless they're friends with benefits.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
In my defence:

No sexual tension there?

(It's a subjective thing, so I won't go off on one if you say no :) )
Curious, I've seen all of those farewells and their episodes previously but never has it seemed like sexual tension to me. Poignant indeed, as you say, but nothing beyond that. I guess I've just never had that mindset, for me it's always just been two good friends parting.

I must say Tegan has always been a favourite of mine and her farewell both surprised and delighted me, it was so wonderfully sudden and unexpected and yet still completely Tegan.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
This Doctor can get laid.
Well that's a rather crude way of putting it Susan, but I suppose you're right.
My Doctor Who experience started with the New Who, so maybe I don't notice it as much. My first Doctor Who thing that I ever really sat down and watched was a marathon of those Specials that followed Series 4 except for End of Time. I've tried to go back and watch the Classic Who, but the Canadian Netflix's selection is extremely limited.

Anyway personally I feel that River was a more intriguing character back when we barely knew anything about her. It's kinda like what Yahtzee once said about mysteries losing all their appeal the instant you explain them.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
And, I love the Doctor and River when they start flirting. It's always so well written by Steven Moffat. That incredible man.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
newwiseman said:
I also would have liked it to be explained in The End of Time that the Time Lord/Lady who keeps appearing to Wilfred Mott, Donna's Grandfather, is Susan the doctors Grand Daughter and first companion. But noticing stuff like that is what being a nerd is for.
waitwaitwut

Is that just a theory of yours or has there been some indication that that's who she was? I was under the impression that that character had been purposefully left unexplained.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Doctor, Doctor,
Gimme the news
I got a
Bad case of lovin' you
In my defence:
-snip-
Man I need to go back and watch more of the old series.
Is it wrong that I'll always see Peter Davison as Tristan Farnon instead of the 5th doctor?
Nope I watched him in All Creatures grunt and smell before he was in Dr Who. I remember wondering when Siegfried Farnon was going to turn up in the tardis

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'll be honest, I find River Song rather grating so I didn't take this marriage as good news. And I'm still not sure how well something so immutable would fit with the whole regeneration thing. It feels weird having the Doctor married when we know that Chris E, or DT's doctors probably wouldn't have the same sort of feelings

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, Lalla Ward. Always had a smile that could melt my heart. Shame I can't find the video interview to go with it, but this transcript [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/interviews/ward/page10.shtml] of Lalla recounting her first chat with Patrick Stewart is quite amusing. How times change!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
The Other Mrs. Doctor Who

If Romana could've gotten busy in the TARDIS, she might've stuck around longer.

Read Full Article
Great article. I'm just disappointed how the River Song story arc turned out. I think it would have been much better if she had been a Time Lady from The Doctor's past that he didn't recognize. It would have fit much better and been more believable than human + human + (In the TARDIS) = Time Lord baby.

And with the talk of story arcs, it isn't really a story arc yet, but at the end of the episode "The End of Time(Part 2)", Wilfred asks The Doctor who the old lady was that kept appearing to him, and also showed her face to The Doctor before he shot the bridge/gateway machine. In that scene, after that question is asked, we see The Doctor look up and over at Donna in the background and doesn't answer the question, just continues with giving Wilf the lottery ticket present for Donna.

That to me means that the old lady was Donna, but that is a really bizarre idea. It makes me wonder, if the old lady was Donna, then how did she end up on Gallifrey in the Time War. I think it would be very interesting to have couple or three episode arc that deals with how that happened.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
She never really threatened his position as de facto leader, despite the fact that she could do just about everything he could (backwards, in heels, no less)
infact she can do a few things better than him, take flying the TARDIS the doctor has been flying it the whole time with the parking brake on.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
River Song is the programme's best reason to stop watching. I'm just glad she's out of regenerations, hopefully she'll die soon.

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
kurupt87 said:
River Song is the programme's best reason to stop watching. I'm just glad she's out of regenerations, hopefully she'll die soon.
She already died in season four. Time travel is odd like that.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
As a recent american convert to the fellowship of the doctor, this column rocks and I will read it frequently. Or not, considering that we just witnessed the season finale.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt knows that the Doctor's heart will always really belong to the TARDIS.
But that still leaves us with a second heart! I'd say there's room enough for another love interest. My only question is whether River can handle being 'second wife' next to the TARDIS.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
In my defence:

No sexual tension there?

(It's a subjective thing, so I won't go off on one if you say no :) )

Equally,

or,

Tegan's is especially poignant, given Amy's departure as well. "No more bloodshed"
I don't see sexual tension at all, no. In the case of Pertwee, I see embarrassment at suddenly being the third wheel. For the other two, I see affection, fondness, respect, but not lust or sex.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Well, now that they've removed every last bit of mystery about her character, forcibly extracted every last bit of independence she ever had from the Doctor, and turned her into a one-dimensional groupie, I'm hoping River Song is finally taken out of the limelight.

And, given that another two hundred years of adventures just took place offscreen in between "The God Complex" and "Closing Time," that might actually be the case. Can we get some new characters now please?

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
Honestly River was interesting in the "Library" episode in her first appearance. But then they sort of thrust her upon on us, and while the banter is neat, she does little in terms of plot competence, and the marriage is fairly premature given that all they had was playful banter, but whatever she's human now, it wont last.

And now she really has no choice left but to stagnate, we know how she got where she is and how she ends. So now no matter what happens she can't really develop any more.

I could see her appearing occasionally in episodes, but she can no longer have any relevance without sucking the life out of the plot.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
KazNecro said:
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt knows that the Doctor's heart will always really belong to the TARDIS.
But that still leaves us with a second heart! I'd say there's room enough for another love interest. My only question is whether River can handle being 'second wife' next to the TARDIS.
I'm pretty sure Susan meant "heart" as the usual metaphor, not the literal organ; or in the Doctor's case, organs.