The peope in GTA Online are horrible!

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Roofstone said:
just me being butthurt over too many races lost. (Which is rather missleading really, if I come eiter 2nd or 16th, it is a "lost" on my statistic. Surely there can be a statistic between victory and defeat?)
No. That idea comes from this terrible "participation" mentality that's been around for a while now. You LOST. Deal. If you want your second place to matter, go play a racing game where place and time grant points, and its points that win the day. You are playing a one-shot streetrace sim where you and bunch of other dicks decide to rush around the city endangering others before determining a winner and running from the cops.
There is no second place. There is a winner, and many losers.

As for people ramming you, I say again, grow up and learn to deal. Get better at avoiding the hits, use a car that's harder to knock offsides, or learn to knock them off the road first.

GTA Online is a crime simulator, where every player is the most base, repugnant street thug you can find, desperately clawing at whatever advantage they can get. If you want security, people you can trust, bring friends into the game, or join a crew. Otherwise, you have to just deal with the fact that you are just another attractive victim to exploit. Or get smart about your street travels.

I went on a crime spree knocking over convenience stores, and managed to rob 8 of the 17 stores in one run because I didn't target the stores near other players, and most importantly, I stole a helicopter to use as a getaway vehicle. this afforded me both ease of travel (fuck roads) but security, as I can bring the chopper out of range of virtually any assault.

If you want to complain, complain about cooperative missions being staffed by idiots. I managed to join a rank-25 mission (i'm level 5 at the time) where your team is tasked with stealing a plane and delivering it to alamo sea airstrip. It wasn't until our third attempt that the host listened and let ME fly the plane, because it was HIS mission and therefore HE had to fly. Nevermind his complete inability to pilot the plane, and likewise his skills at landing, it was HIS job.
Then I took the stick and we finished the mission.
PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS, PEOPLE.

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
I've got a guy i killed with a mate over 30 times

He would not just quit the server, So we hunted him for an hour. He started calling us gay niggers, then begged us to leave him alone and he takes it all back

I also fly onto buildings and snipe people. And hang around Los Santos customs with sticky bombs waiting for your new improved car just to roll out....

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
It doesn't do anything for you but add cathartic value at beating up someone weaker than you, and it ruins the game for them.
That sums up competition in general. You compete to beat others, they feel bad as a result. Usually the people you beat aren't as good as you that is why you beat them.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Eh, I've never gotten any kicks out of just endlessly camping someone. You kill them a few times. Let them know you don't fuck around then you go about your day. I'm not going to waste my time or theirs just standing in one spot and killing everybody in sight. I guess that goes for all PvP games I play.

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
Does anyone remember gta 4? online

Now THAT was brutal, The fire-truck was the most single OP thing ever

Once you knocked down a guy with the hose it was over, did no damage, but you could just keep spraying them, They couldnt even pull out the phone to quit the game, They were stuck and had to turn off the console

GTA online is a cakewalk compared to GTA 4 online

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
While true, there is a Level 50 person beating a Level 50 person, or a 48 beating a 45 or a 46 beating a 50. But a 60 beating a 20 does nothing for anyone.
I'm assuming we're talking about WoW [or other MMO] as level doesn't really matter in Call of Duty for example.

While I've never liked the aspect of MMO's in which a level gap meant victory was impossible that's not really relevant to my argument.

Competition is the desire to feel superior to others. The feeling of superiority can be gained regardless of the difference in skill.

While a low level player poses no challenge, killing them is still a demonstration of your superiority over them [within the context of the game].

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Epicspoon said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Since I have a lot of money in the game I love putting big bounties on random people and watching the ensuing chaos from my luxurious apartment.
you're just making me want to buy this game more but I need to save my money for an upcoming convention! DAAAAMMMNNNN YOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I haven't played yet I have a question. Can you put bounties on more than one person at a time? If so you should put an enormous bounty on every single player at once. It would be great.
Yep you can, and I have done that once. I put a $9000 bounty on everyone in the server that I was able to(level 12+), but as payback someone in the game put a $9000 bounty on me and everyone in the game targeted me for revenge. It was epic!

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
wulf3n said:
While true, there is a Level 50 person beating a Level 50 person, or a 48 beating a 45 or a 46 beating a 50. But a 60 beating a 20 does nothing for anyone.
I'm assuming we're talking about WoW [or other MMO] as level doesn't really matter in Call of Duty for example.

While I've never liked the aspect of MMO's in which a level gap meant victory was impossible that's not really relevant to my argument.

Competition is the desire to feel superior to others. The feeling of superiority can be gained regardless of the difference in skill.

While a low level player poses no challenge, killing them is still a demonstration of your superiority over them [within the context of the game].
I played WoW on a PvP server, and I always felt kind of sorry for those people. If this is your only way to get a feeling of superiority and victory, you must be pretty bad. Feeling superior because you camped a lowbie is akin to feeling superior because you stepped on an ant. And you're wasting your own time as much as theirs.

This is part of why I prefer LoL for my PvP needs. At least if someone kicks my arse in LoL and then talks shit about it, they've legitimately earned that right because we were on an even footing and they outplayed me.
(Except, you know, it was the jungler's fault).

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I personally find that to be the most fun part of races. I mean, I didn't buy GTA to follow road rules did I?

The shooting people randomly is a tad annoying but I also like the feeling of danger when playing with others on it. I know that they could turn on me any second which means I always have my gun of them which only makes things more tense. Its great.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Roofstone said:
Since I don't own GTA5 I can't say that I know where you're coming from exactly...

HOWEVER

I believe the only way to say this is "We know"

Yeah, people are bastards IRL...
And in-game, people are worse than that...

If given no real punishment (IE. in a game) people will do whatever they want to piss off other people...

If they see a player character... they'll kill you...
If you're in a race, they'll run you off the road...
If you offer them whatever they're asking for, they'll kill you and take it anyway...

THIS is the exact reason why I stopped playing DayZ...
Not because you lost everything on death...
But because everyone would shoot you on sight with no respect for what you would call "rules" or "guidelines"

seriously... fuck people...

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Branindain said:
]I played WoW on a PvP server, and I always felt kind of sorry for those people. If this is your only way to get a feeling of superiority and victory, you must be pretty bad.
I feel the same way for all forms of competition that don't come with tangible benefits.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I am just about sick of GTAO already, all I have wanted to do is load up a deathmatch or team deathmatch. So I load one up in quick job and get lucky if I find more than 1 other person. And no matter how many people I get, they always vote in a race for all following games. Its sad that I am missing the matchmaking for GTA 4.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Mr F. said:
Playing a PvP server isn't the problem. Just like real war has rules of engagement that we are (supposed) to follow, there are unwritten rules of conduct. Camping someone 40 levels below you to constantly kill them when they have zero chance to do anything at all isn't cool. It doesn't do anything for you but add cathartic value at beating up someone weaker than you, and it ruins the game for them.

If you wanna play a PvP server, pick on someone your own size.
I was a carebear in WoW, my favourite emote was /hug, I saved Horde from PvE death several times, I hated being ganked but I didn't complain because I was on a PvP server, it was my own choice and I learned to live with that choice.

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
Lets compare:

League of Legends
-a cheery and colorful game of co-operation where every game mechanic is built on "not being able to grief your team mates"
-yet there's almost every time a raging poopbutt that ruins the game (same with every MOBA I guess)

GTA Online
-basically the perfect dunghead simulator about scumbag gangsters
-do I need to go on?

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Roofstone said:
Now, this is barely a rant, it is just me being butthurt over too many races lost. (Which is rather missleading really, if I come eiter 2nd or 16th, it is a "lost" on my statistic. Surely there can be a statistic between victory and defeat?)

The people in GTA Online are horrible! Not a single race have I raced without people crashing into each other on purpose or otherwise trying to force others to crash. Nearly nobody knows how to play a tiny hint fair. It is really frustrating when you need to win so so many races to unlock car parts.

Welcome to the world of online gaming! Where we all try to win and second place doesn't matter!

Seriously though, what the hell did you expect? I go into every game expecting my fellow players to both simultaneously horrible, useless, incompetent players, as well as being the biggest, dirtiest, lonewolf, scumbags in history. GTA:O just allows me creative revenge. GTA is about fucking each other over as hard as you can, just because you can. Just do what I do: grab a sniper rifle and headshot them out from a long way off. Or come out of a survival mode with Sascha and make them "Cry some more". Or outsource your labor and put a bounty on them and let everyone else do your dirty work for you.* Or crush them underneath your helicopter after throwing a car at them using said helicopter. See, the possibilities are endless!

* An amusing game I sometimes play is to put a $7-9000 bounty on the highest level player in the lobby and see how long they last. It can be fun to see all the lesser-equipped, lower levels gunning (heh) for the prize against the big fish of the lobby. Everyone wins too! For the assassins: $$$. For the target: Instant survival mode. For me: lulz.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Roofstone said:
I don't know if you can unlock parts for cars but if you go into an invite only session you can have match making turned off so you can just race yourself and come in first. That is what I do and I get about I think 500 XP every race.

I know what you mean about those types of players. That is why I only play in either a solo session or an invite only session.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
GTA Online is a PvP game unless you play a closed session with friends or solo, which I think is fair enough. Not something I'd go in for; I'm a PvE animal so I just play with mates.

I do share your view on the whole "first or nothing" dynamic for car unlocks as it encourages people farming with friends rather than actually racing. A much better system (in my eyes) would have been to use a points based approach. A win could be 10 points, 2nd place 6, 3rd 4, 5th 3, and so on with car unlocks coming when you had accrued a certain number of points in that class. I believe this might also encourage less kinetic racing.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Abomination said:
I'm hoping this will turn into a sort of EVE Online ordeal with major organizations forming and terrorizing particular blocks of the city.

Maybe you can buy "protection" from one of the larger gangs. I can't wait to see what the community does with this.
At mid to high levels you can call in Merryweather mercs to drop down and do your dirty work, even on open instances. It's close. Anyways, anyone who just pops in online just to pop other players, no racing, no missions, no nothing else...sorry to say but to quote Will Smith in Hancock, "You're all idiots." Yeah, it's your game and you're free to play it how you see fit, but just getting your jollies off of one sole aspect of the game proves how inept you are at the concept of sandbox gaming. Where it is that you can do so much, you only do one thing...and the most annoying thing at that? Yeah, really classy. Just the type of knuckleheads I love to mow down with my trusty shotgun when they get out of line.

I've successfully escaped a $1000 and even a $5000 bounty, those were fun. I can understand when there's some incentive to taking someone out, but just to show how big your virtual dick is? Oh you silly internet you. While all the little kiddies are busy running around like two-bit thugs and wannabe gangsters (seriously you should hear how some of these clowns sound online), me and my crew are too busy stacking GTA$-and legitimately I might add-getting property and preparing ourselves for when the game really gets interesting with heists and custom matches.

But yeah, the best...and at this point only solution is to go on an invite/crew/friend only instance or just party up with friends and perforate any buffoon who tries to be a douchebag. There's always strength in numbers.