The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Last I checked, girls liked looking at hot guys just as much as men like looking at hot girls. I don't understand why one side of the coin is evil and the other is just ignored.
A woman showed me this:

Sometimes I think that a huge component of the "sparkly vampire" hate that Twilight brought about was men being unable to understand why women could go crazy over a male hero who didn't look like he could use a lamp post as a bowtie.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Any Conan Game
Some of the armour options in Tera
Rock in Soul Calibur
Kratos
the Barbarian in Gauntlet games
Conan? Gauntlet? Rock? D'you have a few more from the last decade, maybe?

Do you reckon Kratos and Rock are designed to be sex symbols, or power fantasies, or neither?

and who is to say were the characters not real they would not choose to dress that way?
They're not.

Which again make it optional that simple.
So y'wouldn't mind if studios took the female skimpy outfits out from marketing materials, and made them optional non-default sets, either?

No I meant the people shaming said fictional women are doing so as a proxy way to shame real women.
Swing and a miss.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only if they're actually calling for it to be censored not merely stating their opinion
They did check the comments. They still did not want people playing it.

Or people just started noticing them and paying more attention to them.

I mean I'm pretty sure they've been about for a long time it's just mostly people thought they were irrelevant fools and ignored them.
Which is why always good to keep an eye squash on it early before it gets worse.

Ah but feeling the need to try and make Alex Rider the series more diverse ended up with the kind of silly moment of having a Black girl Nazi while actually making a role previously that of a black woman into a white woman instead too Their pushes for diversity ended up coming off as more problematic
I can tell when diversity is fake and insincere, but that won't make me flip out hates on others for doing it right.

And everyone laughed the people upset the Nazis were the villains out of the room at the time lol. Everyone.
Those Nazis still exists and still think Trump is charge. It's nice they were laughed at, but you have others in power that cater to them or want to protect them. That is a fact. The job is not to become complacent. Always remain vigilant.

Be careful your desire to do good isn't used to get you to attack people who actually may have a point but are being claimed to be attacking people for some secret ulterior motive of evil.
No need tell me that. I know my limits and what I am capable of. And you remember to not ignore or downplay those with devious intent and harm those different for wanting to have a voice.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Conan? Gauntlet? Rock? D'you have a few more from the last decade, maybe?

Do you reckon Kratos and Rock are designed to be sex symbols, or power fantasies, or neither?
Well reaching outside of video games there's Twilight lol.

Are Kratos and Rock designed to be sex symbols? Well they're fairly based on the Swords and sandals archetype which was seen as sexy and still is by I'd wager far more than would readily admit it.

They're not.
Which means the arguments over female costume choice are more about control over a woman who can't call them out.

So y'wouldn't mind if studios took the female skimpy outfits out from marketing materials, and made them optional non-default sets, either?
Sex sells but optional is preferable to what is happening at present where they're gone and if people are lucky they're sold back as DLC down the line in many cases lol

Swing and a miss.
Nope solid hit because a number of those objecting to said outfits are from fairly traditional religious families even if they're not as religious or religious at all themselves anymore.

Hell it did extent out to real life with the removal of "grid girls" in motor racing costing actual woman livelihoods

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I hate the "False Equivalency" point.

To me it is just an excuse of, "Why my complaint is valid, and yours isn't."

The reason why the male characters don't get shit about being half nude, or overly buff and perfectly flawless is simple. People don't fucking care.

Just like people don't give a shit that the female characters are hot.

You know why?

Because people like look at hot people. End of story. Beauty on either side of the gender gap isn't offensive to 99% of people because everyone likes it.

But feminists like to make it a problem and in so doing try to also play off that the hot dudes aren't an issue because of some power fantasy bullshit. Let's face it, if horny neckbeards wanted a true power fantasy in gaming, then all the main characters would be a bunch of awkward looking fuckers who impossibly get all the hot ladies, and save the world and shit.

Also to add to that. The very term "power fantasy". If it's fantasy, then who the fuck cares? If that's the fantasy people want, what's wrong with it?

I hate the way that people like to pretend that men don't suffer through the same sorts of body positivity issues when we see Hugh Jackman shreded as fuck and all shirtless and shit all over TV and magazines and video games. I hate that men are viewed incapable of suffering the same mental health issues that women suffer from in terms of body normalcies and such.

The differences in a sexy female character and a sexy male character as as different as the behaviors of the sexes in general. Women tend to use their bodies more in order to be attractive. They use make-up, shake their hips, stick out their chest or bums, their bodies are very much their weapons of sexuality. Meanwhile the man is sexy when he is tough, protective, strong, providing, there is a very different dynamic. One is much less visual and that's the problem, because it is so obvious with women people don't see the same issues with the male characters.

It's not a false equivalency, it's pure equivalency. It just manifests in different ways, and one side is completely ignored.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
A woman showed me this:

Sometimes I think that a huge component of the "sparkly vampire" hate that Twilight brought about was men being unable to understand why women could go crazy over a male hero who didn't look like he could use a lamp post as a bowtie.
You know the woman behind that comic admitted she was actually more into muscular guys on twitter years ago right?

Even going with that argument in the comic.

I present Nightwing an actual hero in DC comic
d50d1f0d9b5567d22f22059e71bd9d25.jpg
Dick_400x400.png

FxZZuMN-195x500.jpg
nightwing-gymnastics.jpg

Funny how people forget he exists

Oh and as evidence of muscle men being seen as sexy well time for a quick history lesson

Women literally were the main audience for Swords and Sandals film because they could oggle barely clothed bodybuilder men often in exotic locations lol.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The reason why the male characters don't get shit about being half nude, or overly buff and perfectly flawless is simple. People don't fucking care.

Netherrealm Studios got a whole bunch of flak from "fans" because they dressed their female Mortal Kombat characters up in more realistic clothing. "SJWs ruinin' muh gamez!" People absolutely do care, in a lot of seriously screwed-up ways.

And do you realize that a significant part of your post is telling other people what they find attractive?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They did check the comments. They still did not want people playing it.
Then they're fools.

Which is why always good to keep an eye squash on it early before it gets worse.
Yet it's likely at the lowest actual level for years realistically. It's just reported on more often.

I can tell when diversity is fake and insincere, but that won't make me flip out hates on others for doing it right.
Ah but it's fairly easy to fool people into thinking it's been done right. If you didn't know what was changed in Alex Rider you wouldn't spot it, well other than the Black Nazi girl but that requires stopping to think and realising that.

Those Nazis still exists and still think Trump is charge. It's nice they were laughed at, but you have others in power that cater to them or want to protect them. That is a fact. The job is not to become complacent. Always remain vigilant.
More you have people in power trying to apply the rule of law which unfortunately will also protect said people.

No need tell me that. I know my limits and what I am capable of. And you remember to not ignore or downplay those with devious intent and harm those different for wanting to have a voice.
Well yes some people will have devious intent but said people often out themselves and should be exposed when then do

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
When we compare the face models that, say, the Mass Effect Andromeda girl is based off of vs the actual in-game character, we can see that they... messed up.
Was it on purpose? Did they want to make her uglier so as to not intimidate the women playing it?

For example:

For some reason, they could get the male character to look like the model, but not the female model.

Also, TLoU Abby also gets this treatment, I think.

I don't know if there's any solid evidence that people are deliberately making characters less attractive, but...

Also what Dwarven is getting at, where some people feel the need to cover up characters with already-established costumes, which implies that they do care somewhat.
Sex-negative feminists care if women are too hot, because they think it contributes to the patriarchy or isn't inclusive, or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Netherrealm Studios got a whole bunch of flak from "fans" because they dressed their female Mortal Kombat characters up in more realistic clothing. "SJWs ruinin' muh gamez!" People absolutely do care, in a lot of seriously screwed-up ways.

And do you realize that a significant part of your post is telling other people what they find attractive?
More Realistic.......... in the series where you can break half your opponents bones in a match and they get back up and keep fighting.

Moviebob did a video about how it's kind of not the series you really should be pushing for "realism" in but I can't find that video here but remember

Mortal Kombat has an acid spitting Lizard man and a Thundergod who can fly.

Even leaving that aside, most of the female characters fight in high heels in the new MK games too which yeh not very realistic

I'll leave this here though

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I do indeed. That's complaining about gender representation, rather than the (much more prominent) geopolitical themes, which rather fits into my argument.
So, I could argue that technically Battlefield has geopolitical themes (well, BF3 does, and they're pretty iffy), but TBH, I don't think anyone really cares about Battlefield's singleplayer.

CoD's politics occasionally bring some fire, but it tends to be from the other side of the aisle, no? Promoting militarism etc.
Yeah, that. And when I listed the female character issues? The Linkle 'issue' was from Sarkeesian.

A lot of the "keep politics out of games" argument often boils down to "keep politics [I don't like] out of games."

When we compare the face models that, say, the Mass Effect Andromeda girl is based off of vs the actual in-game character, we can see that they... messed up.
Was it on purpose? Did they want to make her uglier so as to not intimidate the women playing it?
They had problems with plenty of faces. I don't think there's any particular agenda.

Also, found Sara reasonably attractive in her de facto form, but meh.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Not telling. Generalizing. Which is different.

As for the mortal kombat outfits. People will complain about anything these days. I didnt think anything was wrong with the skimpy designs but i also dont think anything is wrong with the new designs. It is whatever to me because i liked both.

I guess if i had to guess, it is because the games have had a history of tight and or skimpy outfits. Over the course of like two decades of games. Now those designs become a problem? I can see how fans are annoyed because they see it as a change for an audience that likely doesnt play the games in the first place.

It becomes designing by committee which never works out.

And it also follows the same logic of my Coka-Cola example. People love Coke, and when they tried to change the flavor, people stopped buying it and forced Coke to go back to the old formula and call it Coke Classic.

Fans becomes fans of things and if there are changes, ultimately people will have a problem with that. Doesnt always mean they are right. But it also doesnt mean their opinion is invalid.

If they like Dead or alive Xtreme Volleyball for the bikini girls. Then they have every right to complain if the next game took place in the artic and everyone wore parkas.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well reaching outside of video games there's Twilight lol.

Are Kratos and Rock designed to be sex symbols? Well they're fairly based on the Swords and sandals archetype which was seen as sexy and still is by I'd wager far more than would readily admit it.
If you say so. As someone attracted to both guys and girls, I find a lot more eye-candy of the female persuasion than the male, and it's not even close. Kratos, Rock and the ilk don't even register as something with attractiveness in mind.

Which means the arguments over female costume choice are more about control over a woman who can't call them out.
I shall apologise profusely to my monitor.

Sex sells but optional is preferable to what is happening at present where they're gone and if people are lucky they're sold back as DLC down the line in many cases lol
Alright. But, to clarify, you wouldn't mind if Netherrealm Studios were developing the next Mortal Kombat, and then switched the default/marketing costumes for Kitana and Mileena to be much more modest after a fan backlash?

I hate the "False Equivalency" point.

To me it is just an excuse of, "Why my complaint is valid, and yours isn't."

You know why?

Because people like look at hot people. End of story. Beauty on either side of the gender gap isn't offensive to 99% of people because everyone likes it.
Right, but those male characters built like a block of flats aren't designed to be hot. Any more than that topless Warcraft dwarf is designed to be hot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The costume problem, while definitely hypocritical and similar to DOA6, was the least of MK11's problems. The season pass, the DLC, oh, and the abuse of employee at NR/WB (thanks to WB managment). Along with the PTSD for looking at disturbing real life photos and videos of violence and gore without treating the developers any mental therapy or psychiatric help. It's why I don't want to even touch it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Right, but those male characters built like a block of flats aren't designed to be hot. Any more than that topless Warcraft dwarf is designed to be hot.
Hotness is subjective though isn't it? I pointed out that Shirtless Ryu is called "Hot Ryu" by the community.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Also to add to that. The very term "power fantasy". If it's fantasy, then who the fuck cares? If that's the fantasy people want, what's wrong with it?
Unrealistic expectations of either gender can lead to extreme body dysmorphia and eating disorders. And no, I'm not referring only to women with bulemia and the like. Body dysmorphia in men manifests in several ways as well, including compulsive body building and steroid abuse in an attempt to appear strong enough to qualify as a man.

I've actually read a few op-eds over the last couple of years that question whether or not Marvel's fixation on the body beautiful in their movies might be having unintended negative side effects on some young men.