The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The editing has made noticeable improvements. And I am highly curious where these slo-mo clips of randos reacting indiscriminately all come from. Is there a library of royalty-free expressive slo-mo people or are they all eager friends/acquaintances of the show? The craft is appreciated, but it's one of those that basically says everything i've already known and agreed with for some while now, so maybe it's more directed for those dug further into the trenches of interwebs dramas.
I think he has a partner that helps him now and does all of his editing. Thus the vast improvement in the videos from a production standpoint.

Honestly i used to really love Jim. But the last 18 months or so, he has really just been on a disappointing trajectory. Every Jimquisition episode now is about the evils of some company or another, and it just gets stale because often he isn't even talking about a new event and instead just digging into the same things. There used to be variety in his Jimquistions and I just dont feel like he is doing that anymore. Every Monday it feels like he is going, "Hey did you know that video game companies are fucking shit?"

He doesn't even do Jimpressions anymore. He stopped reviews a long time ago, however he has maintained a fairly consistent impressions series for most big and notible titles throughout the year. But it seems like he has simply run out of steam or something.

I've lost interest in him, which sucks because i used to be very eager to here his impressions of a game, or get excited for a new Jimquistion. Maybe it has simply run its course now.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Is there a library of royalty-free expressive slo-mo people or are they all eager friends/acquaintances of the show?
Yes, The Spiffing Brit uses similar clips all the time in his videos. Usually still images, but he uses footage sometimes as well. I don't know the sites myself, but I'm sure if you did a google search for something like "free use stock images/videos" you will find some results.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Honestly i used to really love Jim. But the last 18 months or so, he has really just been on a disappointing trajectory. Every Jimquisition episode now is about the evils of some company or another, and it just gets stale because often he isn't even talking about a new event and instead just digging into the same things.
He doesn't like talking about it either, and has commented multiple times, in response to the comments criticizing him for this, that he'd LOVE to talk about something else, but that it's an important issue, that isn't being addressed, and he feels it's something that needs to not be forgotten once the next new hot title is released, and everyone's short term memory is reset. I mean it's pretty apparent that the half-life for people's outrage over the gaming industry, is however long before the next title they want to play is. And he thinks that's a pretty shitty way to ignore the criminal activities of companies that control massive amounts of wealth in the world.

He doesn't even do Jimpressions anymore. He stopped reviews a long time ago, however he has maintained a fairly consistent impressions series for most big and notible titles throughout the year. But it seems like he has simply run out of steam or something.

I've lost interest in him, which sucks because i used to be very eager to here his impressions of a game, or get excited for a new Jimquistion. Maybe it has simply run its course now.
Yeah but, nobody was watching those jimpressions. I mean he did an entire video talking about the contradiction between what his viewers say they want, and what the metrics actually show they engage in. The bottom line, is that when he tries to NOT talk about the shitty aspects of the gaming industry, he gets less than half the traffic to his videos. When he does positive videos, talking about a game he really loved, or something else positive, very few people watch it. So, why should he spend his time and energy, making content, that isn't actually what his viewing base apparently want to see?

This is how he makes a living, so he has to make the stuff that continues to pay the bills. And that is apparently, not stuff like jimpressions.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Keep "current event" politics out of video games.
Keep partisanship out of video games.
Don't tell us what we should believe, let us come to our own conclusions.
Don't insult me or talk down to me while telling me that X is wrong and Y is right.
Don't preach. Don't propagandize. Treat me with dignity, like I have intelligence, and that I'm capable of seeing nuance and making up my own mind.

I also stopped watching Jim about the time I realized that he's a one-trick-pony. Yeah, we get it, game industry bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yes, The Spiffing Brit uses similar clips all the time in his videos. Usually still images, but he uses footage sometimes as well. I don't know the sites myself, but I'm sure if you did a google search for something like "free use stock images/videos" you will find some results.
I think he has a partner that helps him now and does all of his editing. Thus the vast improvement in the videos from a production standpoint.
Ahh, those do indeed explains thems! Much appreciated info, thankyous!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Except blatant parodies like that aren't the only time people say "Keep politics out of X". It pops up everywhere, on broad topics, without any specific person being focused on.

A character is presented as LGBTQ? "Keep your gender politics out of my X" A character is shown to be critical of capitalism/american culture? Same thing. A movie made by a chinese film industry, has the main characters be chinese, and portray the american characters as the villains and/or idiots that make the situation worse? Keep your politics out of my movies. Despite american movies doing this shit all the time, with foreign cultures as "the bad guy", and that being just fine. You know, "the normal" state that he's criticizing in the first place.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Except blatant parodies like that aren't the only time people say "Keep politics out of X". It pops up everywhere, on broad topics, without any specific person being focused on.

A character is presented as LGBTQ? "Keep your gender politics out of my X" A character is shown to be critical of capitalism/american culture? Same thing. A movie made by a chinese film industry, has the main characters be chinese, and portray the american characters as the villains and/or idiots that make the situation worse? Keep your politics out of my movies. Despite american movies doing this shit all the time, with foreign cultures as "the bad guy", and that being just fine. You know, "the normal" state that he's criticizing in the first place.
Welcome to arguing with conservatives. It never gets any better.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Where do you get off telling them what they can/can't put in a game? If they want to make a game about current event stuff, that is their right.

Don't tell them what to make or not make. You can disagree with their take on a subject all you want, but don't tell them not to have their own view on a subject, and say they can't make that view known in a medium of entertainment. Because frankly everyone does that shit, and has been doing it for centuries. You think people inserting their political takes is a recent sjw thing? Please.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Don't insult me or talk down to me while telling me that X is wrong and Y is right.
Don't preach. Don't propagandize. Treat me with dignity, like I have intelligence, and that I'm capable of seeing nuance and making up my own mind.

I also stopped watching Jim about the time I realized that he's a one-trick-pony. Yeah, we get it, game industry bad.
I'll ask the same question I asked Ezikiel: Why are you even here? You've made it clear in the past you don't like Jim Sterling. So you have no reason of being here. Also, don't start with any bull crap. You are not derailing this thread. You try anything, and I'm reporting your ass to the mods. No ifs and buts.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Both. Though not as much in the V2 board.
As much? Now I'd love to see these posts you're talking about. I think I'd remember if I mentioned him multiple times in six months.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Except blatant parodies like that aren't the only time people say "Keep politics out of X".
I'm aware, see my edit underneath.

These five letters do not fully encapsulate the breadth of what is meant. To truly understand, you need to go in depth, ask people what they think, and communicate with them.

Think of it as just a slogan. It's imperfect, but catchy. Kind of like BLM but less severe, because (mis)interpreting the slogan doesn't lead to accusations of racism.

Do you ever wonder why not all LGBTQ characters/characters critical of capitalism/chinese movies are complained about in the same way?
The key to understanding this slogan is to understand why only some characters are complained about and some aren't.

Where do you get off telling them what they can/can't put in a game? If they want to make a game about current event stuff, that is their right.
These aren't demands, or anything. Nobody saying these things has any power over the games industry. We aren't engaging in collective bargaining.
These are what we want, and what we think is best for the games industry and the hobby as a whole.

but don't tell them not to have their own view on a subject, and say they can't make that view known in a medium of entertainment.
You're not understanding. Having your own view is fine. Bringing that view into your game is fine. However, you need to do it delicately. Not delicately as in "subtly", I mean delicately as in "tactfully". You need to treat your audience with respect. You need to recognize that diversity of opinion exists, and you need to respect that. You can't just say "THIS IS RIGHT AND THE OTHER THING IS WRONG AND IF YOU DISAGREE, YOU'RE JUST A DISGUSTING BIGOT!"

I've even heard complaints about not losing honor when you kill the KKK civilians in RDR2. People aren't defending racists, they're insulted that the game isn't punishing you for killing specific racist civilians going about their business. They're insulted that the game is telling you "it's okay to kill racists, we won't fault you for it. They're bad people anyway"

Can you understand why people might object to having their intelligence insulted in such a way?

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'll ask the same question I asked Ezikiel: Why are you even here? You've made it clear in the past you don't like Jim Sterling. So you have no reason of being here.
I'm not here to talk about Jim Sterling's take per se. I'm here to discuss the misunderstanding that certain gamers want all games to be absolutely apolitical.

I apologize for not asking your permission before posting in this thread, your holiness.

Go ahead and try and sic the mods on me, if you want. Hey, maybe you should just start your own blog where you can have absolute control over the conversation. You'll be less frustrated when people talk about things that you don't want talked about, because you'll be able to squash the conversation. Just a thought.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As much? Now I'd love to see these posts you're talking about. I think I'd remember if I mentioned him multiple times in six months.
You have to check yourself. I don't keep track. All I know is that it couldn't have been more than twice on the V2 board. Start looking. Your choice.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
You have to check yourself. I don't keep track. All I know is that it couldn't have been more than twice on the V2 board. Start looking. Your choice.
I just did. I never mentioned him in V2. So what are you attacking me for? Edit: Oh, there is an option for "older" after ten pages. Hold on...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not here to talk about Jim Sterling's take. I'm here to discuss the misunderstanding that certain gamers want all games to be absolutely apolitical.

I apologize for not asking your permission before posting in this thread, your holiness.
I will say this because you have a habit of derailing a thread. And there is no misunderstanding. They're going to be politics in games, movies or books, intentional or not. Get the fuck over it. Now if they are done with grace, subtlety, tact, or in your face is a matter of opinion. well sometimes you do have to be blunt with politics just to make sure people know or they don't act like certain things exist. That's life. getting rid of them are trying to diminish them will not make things better or easier period if anything you're cheating others and you are especially cheating yourself. You can never learn to grow, adapt, or look at things from a alternate perspective. Otherwise just become another person that likes the smell of their own farts.

Just so you know I will be watching. Don't try anything stupid.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, I found zero posts about Jim Sterling. I'll be sure to mention him every month now.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
They're going to be politics in games, movies or books, intentional or not. Get the fuck over it.
The fact that you think that there is anything that anyone needs to "get over" reveals that you have a fundamentally flawed understanding of what this is all about.

You yourself listed that Sonic has (or can be viewed to have) an environmentalist message.
Have you ever heard anyone complain about that?
No?
Why not?

When you can explain why some "political" things are complained about while others aren't, then perhaps you will understand what is meant by the slogan.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
He doesn't even do Jimpressions anymore.
Sure he does, the last one was just 2 weeks ago, and they were never on a schedule.

You yourself listed that Sonic has (or can be viewed to have) an environmentalist message.
No?
Why not?
Because the complainants are wildly inconsistent, and use the argument solely as a cudgel to try to keep certain kinds of politics they don't like out of games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Because the complainants are wildly inconsistent, and use the argument solely as a cudgel to try to keep certain kinds of politics they don't like out of games.
That's a claim.
Do you have anything to back that up?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I found zero posts about Jim Sterling. I'll be sure to mention him every month now.
So I was wrong with that one. Okay then.

The fact that you think that there is anything that anyone needs to "get over" reveals that you have a fundamentally flawed understanding of what this is all about.
I have a clear understanding. You already talked about yourself or someone else.

No?
Why not?
Believe it or not, I've have had people complain about Sonic's environmentalist message. More so in the Archie comics, but I've met and spoken with people who complained about the games. Not so much online as an actually talking to them.

When you can explain why some "political" things are complained about while others aren't, then perhaps you will understand what is meant by the slogan.
No thank you. I never bought that bullshit the first time around. I've seen you get upset in the past when people bring up politics, intentional or not, so I don't know who else you're trying to fool, but you're freaking self.