The Pickup Artist #2

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Comes with a monthly fee?

EDIT: The sign-off link is form last comic.

The line is from Kings of Leon's bestest song ever. I am smart.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Disposable[footnote]this is not a women in fridges reference, but to the way annual iterations have basically cheapened each individual release[/footnote]?
Not worth much at Gamestop?

Renegade-pizza said:
Did you plan on making a second part, or did all our game-jokes inspire you to do it.

I don't know what's funnier, Erin in the freezer or her quip.
Definitely the way Erin waited in a fridge to keep it fresh.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
I LOVE that we are finally coming back to the character driven (to some point at least) comics =3

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Definitely the way Erin waited in a fridge to keep it fresh.
So... That was the joke? My mind immediately went to the 'women in refridgerators' - trope and I was confused what the joke was.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I think Erin was mentally unstable long before she had her accident.

Also does this count as a "Nuking The Fridge" moment? #CrystalSkullReference.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lieju said:
So... That was the joke? My mind immediately went to the 'women in refridgerators' - trope and I was confused what the joke was.
I actually assumed it was a "women in refrigerators" comment, which is why I tacked on afootnote to my joke about "disposable" women/games. I just decided to go another route.

I'm not sure it's a joke so much as a reference. I think the funny part is her merely going out of her way to keep it up. Though with a naked man and fridge temps, that was probably poor wording.

Mike Fang said:
I think Erin was mentally unstable long before she had her accident.
Oh, we knew that.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
"Likely to offend special snowflakes?"

Oh, come on! It's a woman in a refrigerator here!

[sub]Before I'm publicly executed I demand that it be at the gallows. In a pirate suit.[/sub]

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Zhukov said:
Weeeell... I can definitely see clitoral stimulation being easily compared to one of those QTEs where you have to rapidly jiggle the analogue stick back and forth.

Hey, come on now, there is no way I was only person thinking this.
Considering that God of War did pretty much exactly that, I think you're onto something.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Lieju said:
Women being inside refridgerators is a trope? That's a new one on me.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Ya'know Erin jokes, but it would seem he succeed in his task.
And she is butt freezing in a fridge with no sausage to keep her warm.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Erin, honey... this has got to stop. You're only trying to sabotage him because you want him to yourself - not necessarily in a romantic way, though that could be it too, I wouldn't know - and it's reached an unhealthy level. You have to let him go; make his own mistakes. When he realizes what he's missing, he'll probably come back to you.

Besides...

free to play; pay to win
on Steam sale
made in a AAA studio
glitchy/buggy/virus-ridden
used
pretty/colorful but lacking in substance
full of mindless grinding
button-mashing (ouch!)
easy to learn; impossible to master
riddled with in-app purchases
locked behind pay walls
rated EC, Early Childhood (ew!)
rated E for Everyone
download/online only
incredibly slow-paced
with a steep learning curve
extremely punishing
bundled with free DLC (really think about that one...)
requiring a subscription
fake reskins of more popular ones
full of interesting ideas but poor execution
ultra-violent and unpredictable
the same thing you've played a million times already (actually, that one's kinda romantic, in a way.)

Incidentally, these apply to both genders, not just women.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Mike Fang said:
Lieju said:
Women being inside refridgerators is a trope? That's a new one on me.
It's named after some Green Lantern villain putting his girlfriend in a fridge, but it refers in general to a female character being killed off (or injured/raped/depowered) to further the character-development of a (usually) male character. Usually to make them mad and give them reason to hate the villain, or give them the justification to beat them up or even kill them.

While the female character is just removed and it's not about her.

It's just lazy writing all-around, and highlights how the female characters often are written so that all of their character and identity revolves around a man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Website/WomenInRefrigerators?from=Main.WomenInRefrigerators

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Gasbandit said:
Just to make sure I'm reading this right, the bruised and bloody Erin in the fridge thing is a green lantern reference, yes? I'm not sure I'm connecting all the dots. I mean... why is she in the fridge? She could have easily just been sitting at the kitchen table to make the brick joke continuation from last week. Is it supposed to be implied that somebody, possibly herself, beat Erin up and put her in his fridge for him to find?

She's not actually bruisesd nor bloodied, she's suffering from mild(I guess) frostbite.I think they went with fridge, because its more spontaneous, less predictable and more in line with Erin's personality. I doubt they meant for it to evoke 'darker'* themes.

*For lack of a better word

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
bliebblob said:
Don't worry, a burn like that should whip that frostbite right back out of her! And the hypothermia. And the oxygen deficit. And the dehydration...
If she got dehydrated while in a stocked fridge, she's doing it wrong.

Gasbandit said:
Just to make sure I'm reading this right, the bruised and bloody Erin in the fridge thing is a green lantern reference, yes? I'm not sure I'm connecting all the dots. I mean... why is she in the fridge? She could have easily just been sitting at the kitchen table to make the brick joke continuation from last week. Is it supposed to be implied that somebody, possibly herself, beat Erin up and put her in his fridge for him to find?

I don't think they're bruises. It's frostbite.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Should of a had a fourth panel as he walks away she shouts "and micro transactions by the looks of it"

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
psn_habalhabden said:
Must be one of those fridges that's designed to help someone survive a nuclear blast. ;)

OT: Thanks, Grey. I really did need another good laugh after this week.
Ahh one of the Jones brand of fridges, well now it makes sense.

Anyway, there could always have been a worse outcome when he opened the fridge door...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I wasn't expecting more to the joke from last week, but well done, guys!
Erin: "Way less than what the hype initially promised?"
Guy* :"Erin, did you wait all night in my fridge to use that one?"
Erin: "...yes. Now I can't feel my legs. Or spine."
Guy: "Would you like to warm up and defrost on my couch until morning?"
Erin: "Yes, please. Wow, I am way more polite and bearable to be around when I almost freeze to death."
Guy: "Noted for next time."

*I forgot his name, but I think he used to be that brooding dude who got a piano for brooding purposes.