The Portal 2 E3 Demo Will Give You a Headache

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
EEEee stuff besides just rocks and stuff that can go through portals =D

Also I hope they release this soon because I have a scary thought in the back of my head that what if the game turns out to be bad...

nah....

O_O

Playbahnosh said:
WAAAAAAAAH! >.<

Valve should be punished for doing this to us, there must be a law around here that forbids excessive teasing and blowing of minds. WANT!!!!!
well the way you say it sounds like there is. blowing up your head and giving you a tease...

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
dfcrackhead said:
I hope this doesn't end up like Trine did in Yahtzee's review, there's a completely complicated solution, but if you just do the most simple, obvious things, it works just as well
Portal is like that anyway. Example one section at the start of the game where a bunch of stairs appear/vanish on the left, with a room+pit to your right you can skip all the puzzles in that section with a single portal, and Valve intentionally left that solution in.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Portal 1 looked complicated in the first trailers also, only when you play it you can experience its simplicity.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
And here I was thinking I'd never get over Left 4 Dead 2 (and don't get me wrong I liked that game it just wasn't up to ValVes usual standards).

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Natdaprat said:
I like the complexity. Just when I thought console gaming was getting simpler, Portal 2 comes by and smashes our minds with a hefty reminder followed by a tumour.
Except Valve doesn't make console games; They make PC games which get ported to consoles.
Very true. Still, it's nice to see some console games being complicated. I wander how well it will do compared to the PC version. I'll probably buy both versions, because I'm sad like that.

Aug 25, 2009
Oh lord.

I want to be excited about this so badly, but this has just about everything I didn't want to see in Portal 2.

1. A companion who talks to you.
2. A storyline which already seems to be taking a page from Gordon Freeman's notebook
3. A companion.
4. Who talks to you.

Alright, so my only two things I didn't want to see were a companion and a plot, but still, those are some major additions. And that thing seems to be talking all the damn time. I just know that within about a half hour of playing this game I'm going to want to drop him down a cooling tower, and already I hope I have to murder him as part of another one of GLaDOS's mad tests.

Also, the storyline in Portal 1 was subtle, most of it literally hidden away. It revealed itself gradually, it came to a thrilling conclusion, it was a near perfect example of how to blend story with gameplay. It had none of Valve's usual bollocks of making you stand motionless while other characters talk about things (which I continue to maintain is just another form of cutscene, and one that is interminably worse), and instead everything you did was helping you make your inevitable way to the final confrontation.

In other words, Portal 1 was brilliant as a game, as a story, and as a starting point for some rather interesting discussion. (For example, is it possible that GLaDOS was not the only one who went crazy in that facility?)

Portal 2 looks like a sequel, with every negative connotation that entails. The big bad gets resurrected as a deformed and crippled entity bent on revenge, you get a, no-doubt, spunky sidekick who may or may not betray you, and will certainly annoy you, and instead of building an entire game around a single innovative mechanic, they've introduced 6.

Puzzle games work best when there is only one object with which you can solve the puzzle, and the trick is in finding out how. Not when you give the player a toolbox and expect them to know which tool to adapt to the puzzle room. In Portal 1 you always knew that somehow the Portal Gun would be involved in solving the puzzles. Now you walk into a room with no idea how to even start getting through it. I predict much trial and error gameplay.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
McOrdinaryish said:
My love for GlaDoS is starting to reach unhealthy levels.

And bouncing looked crazy fun, makes me wonder if you can mix the gels.

[sub]WEEeeee-[/sub]
-eeeeSPLAT.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh man I love Wheatley so much already. "Well, I can't do it if you're looking!"

EDIT?
MelasZepheos said:
I want to be excited about this so badly, but this has just about everything I didn't want to see in Portal 2.

1. A companion who talks to you.
From the previews, it looks like Wheatley, who as stated I love, will only show up during the beginning. So probably that final scene in the preview when GladOS awakens is the last we'll see of him for a while. Also, I bet that if you took a few key scenes from Portal and played them in quick succession it'd look like a game with an intricate plot.

Did you even watch any of the videos other than the first? They all show sheer gameplay. I think you're having some negative perception bias, here.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
Oh... Mah... GAWD!
This is just... Too much, man. GlaDoS is back... We get a talking companion cube type thing. I wonder if we have to burn him in a fire, too.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
all the puzzles make my head hurt
but glados makes my skin crawl...just a bit haha
love the voice acting!

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Oh Valve... You give us Portal 2 while HL2:EP3 is still covered with dust, waiting to be worked on again.... After they have worked on L4D/L4D2 and now this? You have to give us a surprise that EP3 is released at the same time as Portal 2!!!!

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
This is great! I loved Portal! I just hope they do things better this time. The game needed to be longer and from the looks of it, they're adding a whole lots of interesting fun stuff...that will probably cause us aneurysm.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
shadowstriker86 said:
i wonder if they'll explain how she got back into the place after the explosion in the first one
They already did, if you're playing Portal with all the latest patches.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98841-Portal-Has-a-New-Ending
Not the most elegant of solutions, but it works. That's the only twinge of disappointment I feel about 2. I had so wanted to think with portals out an open-ish world.