Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Never seen it, did i accidently come up with a plot from something?
The intial premise is kinda similar. A guy stumbles across a bunch of dead cartal dudes in the middle of the Texas desert who shot each other over some drug deal gone wrong and a bag of money is just sitting there in the middle of it. The guy grabs the money and runs off with it, only to find out later the cartel dispatched a sociopathic hitman to retrieve it.

Hilarity Ensues.*

*If you're familar with Cormac McCarthy, you'll know that hilarity, in this case, is more like Despair. He wrote a book called "The Road" which is kind of like "The Last of Us" but even more Bleak and no Zombies. Just asshole humans.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The intial premise is kinda similar. A guy stumbles across a bunch of dead cartal dudes in the middle of the Texas desert who shot each other over some drug deal gone wrong and a bag of money is just sitting there in the middle of it. The guy grabs the money and runs off with it, only to find out later the cartel dispatched a sociopathic hitman to retrieve it.

Hilarity Ensues.*

*If you're familar with Cormac McCarthy, you'll know that hilarity, in this case, is more like Despair. He wrote a book called "The Road" which is kind of like "The Last of Us" but even more Bleak and no Zombies. Just asshole humans.
Admittedly I don't watch a lot of things. So I'm not familiar, I only know "No Country for Old Men" by reputation alone.

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
You're right, but I feel that if they make Jason just a crazy redneck piece of white trash it will have too much overlap with Trevor even if not directly related. Jason needs to be a more reasonable person, but obviously in a bad situation that he is struggling to get out of.

Perhaps he's just trying to work a shitty job at a scrapyard when he comes across a car with a dead body and a lot of money in the trunk. The criminals come looking but so do the cops and Jason fights with whether he can use the life-changing money for himself or give it up and try to get back to his life.
When I say “red neck” I think more of mud trucking, or riding an airboat through the Everglades, stuff like that I think we’ll see more of that with Jason

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
This is kinda giving me flashbacks to those San Andreas missions when Carl Johnson was with Catalina.

My guess with these characters is that this might be set in Vice City AKA Not-Miama, Florida.

And with the "Hillbilly" protagonist, it might even go to the Floridian Swamps

Reactions: Dalisclock

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
Would have been cool to be a Yakuza member or someone from the Mexican Drogue cartel. This art just looks like Trevor from GTA5 with some random chick...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Would have been cool to be a Yakuza member or someone from the Mexican Drogue cartel. This art just looks like Trevor from GTA5 with some random chick...
Chinatown Wars has the Triads, so Rockstar is more than capable of doing something a little extra different.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Cartel or Triads would work, but I don't think Rockstar want to bother trying to muscle in on Yakuza's territory.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
When I say “red neck” I think more of mud trucking, or riding an airboat through the Everglades, stuff like that I think we’ll see more of that with Jason
See, now I'm thinking of RDR2 and how there are a number of varieties of "Country Folk". You got the aristocratic landowners in Lemoyne, the "Night Folk", the Cannibal Hill Folk near Roanoke Ridge and so on. Also the civil war confederate Cosplayers and the KKK chucklefucks.

Last edited:

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
I mean.... it makes sense that Rockstar would choose a redneck for a GTA game in Florida. People comparing him to Trevor is weird because I doubt they will have similar personalities... it’s like saying Franklin is just CJ LOL

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
Chinatown Wars has the Triads, so Rockstar is more than capable of doing something a little extra different.
I feel like Rockstar doesn’t approach their games and game development like that. Like I don’t think they go “hey we’re going to have a Hispanic, an Asian america etc” I feel like they do the characters they want with a story in mind . They would easily do 3 white guys if the story demands it.... GTA is probably gaming’s biggest brand at the moment I don’t think Rockstar would be afraid of doing anything particular... the game is guaranteed to sell. I mean I have always said I love to see diverse characters in gaming but I also think Rockstar has a track record and know what they are doing. We all thought Arthur was going to be a generic white male and he turned out to be one of the greatest protagonists in gaming

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like Rockstar doesn’t approach their games and game development like that. Like I don’t think they go “hey we’re going to have a Hispanic, a Asian america etc” I feel like they do the characters they want with a story in mind . They would easily do 3 white guys if the story demands it.... GTA is probably gaming’s biggest brand at the moment I don’t think Rockstar would be afraid of doing anything particular... the game is guaranteed to sell. I mean I have always said I love to see diverse characters in gaming but I also think Rockstar has a track record and know what they are doing. We all thought Arthur was going to be a generic white male and he turned out to be one of the greatest protagonists in gaming
While true, it still didn't stop the fact that those on the executive and publishing side, and at the top, did not treat women well at all. Nor would they want them as main characters. The only reason things have changed so much, is because of all the crap that got leaked and R* has no other choice. I'm glad things are better and are turning around, but I still have no interest, abuse or not. Rockstar has had clever moments, I will give them that, but they fell into a formula and rut they never really got themselves out of after GTA IV. Remember when they did more than just sandbox games? I would go nuts for another Manhunt sequel or reboot.

Nothing against Arthur Morgan, but I will never play with Red Dead 2. My main problem with the game is that it railroads you, and it forces you to play shooting that's not that fun or engaging. When you're off doing your own thing, it's fun, but when the aiming made intentionally bad in it and GTA V (to the point that a programmer got fired for trying to fix the aiming in V), I have issues. Fuck off, those at the top at Rockstar.

Last edited:

InsaneDragon

Apr 17, 2023
Country
America
Wow true, it still didn't stop the fact that those on the executive and publishing side, and at the top, did not clean or treat women well at all. Nor would they want them as main characters. The only reason things have changed so much, is because of all the crap that got leaked and if he's going on at rockstar. I'm glad things are better and are turning around, but I still have no interest, abuse or not. Rockstar has had clever moments, I will give them that, but they fell into a formula and rut they never really got themselves out of after GTA IV. Remember when they did more than just sandbox games? I would go nuts for another Manhunt sequel or reboot.

Nothing against Arthur Morgan, but I will never play with Red Dead 2. My main problem with the game is that it railroads you, and it forces you to play shooting that's not that fun or engaging. When you're off doing your own thing, it's fun, but when the aiming made intentionally bad in it and GTA V (to the point that a programmer got fired for trying to fix the aiming in V), I have issues. Fuck off, those at the top at Rockstar.
I think RDR 2 had great female characters, if your talking about GTA well yeah everyone is depicted as a PoS it’s an over-exaggeration satire of America. If you are criticizing Rocksgar’s gameplay staples then that’s fine, I guess

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Wow true, it still didn't stop the fact that those on the executive and publishing side, and at the top, did not clean or treat women well at all. Nor would they want them as main characters. The only reason things have changed so much, is because of all the crap that got leaked and if he's going on at rockstar. I'm glad things are better and are turning around, but I still have no interest, abuse or not. Rockstar has had clever moments, I will give them that, but they fell into a formula and rut they never really got themselves out of after GTA IV. Remember when they did more than just sandbox games? I would go nuts for another Manhunt sequel or reboot.

The big issue with RDR2(and Rockstar games in general) is the fact it wants to be CINEMATIC during the missions and the only way to really pull that off is make them linear as fuck. It's why Arthur can't sneak around the back of the big plantation house during the climax of act 3, even if it would make more sense then the entire fucking gang walking up to the front door bellowing about justice and losing any possible element of surprise. Rockstar wanted that setpiece and to do that they take away any agency other then follow the script of the mission almost exactly.

The rest of the game is arthur basically doing his thing in the Old West so there's no need for the strict linearity