The PS5 unboxing has begun!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Tips please :D
Heheh..the crescent falchion in 4-1 is a really good starter weapon.

In general you probably need to adjust to the slower pace of the combat compared to From's most recent outings like Bloodborne, DkS3 and espescially Sekiro. Here I think DeS shines the brightest. I love those realistic mo-capped animations in the remake. It's really gonna give the combat a look and feel of it's own.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I wonder if they are going to keep certain quirks and glitches from the original. You can shoot arrows through a fog door to kill the first gargoyle. And there was a way to roll out of an area to cut through half of the Shrine of Storm level. I'm glad to hear that they are giving you an option to play with the original art direction of Demons Souls.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I wonder if they are going to keep certain quirks and glitches from the original. You can shoot arrows through a fog door to kill the first gargoyle. And there was a way to roll out of an area to cut through half of the Shrine of Storm level. I'm glad to hear that they are giving you an option to play with the original art direction of Demons Souls.
I doubt it honestly. It is likely a new engine and game built from the ground up. Im sure itll have glitches but they'll be much different.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Is there a classic soundtrack option? If not, I'd be really concerned about revisionism. Even if the score is the same, the music won't be.

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
New Flamelurker theme is generic.

That one of the people in the video said he's nervous about fans' reactions implies there is no original audio option. Wouldn't surprise me if they excluded the option just to fit this game on a BD-50 or BD-66. Or out of disinterest and arrogance.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Is there a classic soundtrack option? If not, I'd be really concerned about revisionism. Even if the score is the same, the music won't be.
Really exciting to see this kind of love utilized for the sound of a game. Makes me want to search for some other sound tracks to games I love.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

TLDR: The resistance in the triggers can be adjusted for whatever's going on in the game, and the haptic feedback feels unique for every situation.

This is actually really cool. Now, if we will see all of these amazing new features actually implemented in non-Playstation exclusives, that's the real question.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
have you guys seen that the texture on the controller itself is tiny tiny playstation button symbols? It's sooooo cool, and showcases how much effort playstation is putting forward.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
have you guys seen that the texture on the controller itself is tiny tiny playstation button symbols? It's sooooo cool, and showcases how much effort playstation is putting forward.

Well the real test will be what material it’s made out of, and how clean it will stay. If it’s more a smooth plastic resin that won’t be too bad, but if they make
it “grippy” at all then it could attract all sorts of crap like dust, sweat, etc.

Also while the design is thoughtful, it’s probably no more difficult to physically make these controllers than the DS4 once the mold is cast. What’s really surprising is how little difference there is in cost over the DS4 given all the new tech. The latter must be marked up a ton seeing as how they never really dropped its price like the console itself. Perhaps to help fund R&D on the DualSense itself.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I went back and watched some of my old gameplay and noticed the player character does in fact behave identically to heavy attacks with a raised shield, so that's one concern alleviated. Must've been thinking of later games where poise damage is more noticeable, but still would've been better I think to add that detail. For some reason I thought ragdolls were absent in the remake too, but I think I simply overlooked it from the latest comparison video.

Also,

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TLDR: The resistance in the triggers can be adjusted for whatever's going on in the game, and the haptic feedback feels unique for every situation.

This is actually really cool. Now, if we will see all of these amazing new features actually implemented in non-Playstation exclusives, that's the real question.
Am I alone in my worries that I'm totally going to break that shit? I feel like implementing resistence to the buttons will just make the wear and tear settle in that much quicker. I'm expecting a A LOT of post-launch youtube videos showing people having already busted those haptic feedback buttons.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Apparently Sony has taken legal action against several companies who were already selling custom face plates. Sony licensed custom jobs only I guess.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Apparently Sony has taken legal action against several companies who were already selling custom face plates. Sony licensed custom jobs only I guess.

Which makes sense. If it hasn’t been approved by them, they can’t guarantee the specifications match, and these knockoffs could end up damaging the console itself during attempts at application/removal.

Either that or they allow them and just say it will void the warranty if non-licensed options are used.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

A. DualSense controller is a legit game changer

B. 12.8 million subs on his channel, and I’ve never heard of him before now.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Not excited. It's still the same controller layout we've had for twenty-three years, with the same limitations of the hands. Anyone who thinks the designers in 1997 just got it perfect for every type of game that would exist in the distant future simply can't imagine games being designed any differently. You think it's perfect because the developers design their games around the limitations of the antiquated controller.

Eight of my ten digits are still unused, because people think a controller has to be held up rather than flat. My thumbs have to control navigation and camera movement plus ten other buttons, while my index fingers control just two buttons each. It's so wasteful and means I have to use more menus, sub menus, button combinations and such instead of quick actions, while leaving the camera or navigation or using an awkward claw grip (though developers design their games with the expectation that you will use your thumb on the face buttons and D-pad, not your index in a claw grip). Dragging the camera with the limited (one centimeter) tilt range of a stick means any kind of aiming, which is so common now, will always be slow.

I want something new. Most console games aren't as simple to control and navigate as they were twenty-three years ago. They had much more auto-aim back then because the developers knew analog sticks were bad for aiming. Fairly certain the PlayStation 6 (2034?) will have this same layout too.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not excited. It's still the same controller layout we've had for twenty-three years, with the same limitations of the hands. Anyone who thinks the designers in 1997 just got it perfect for every type of game that would exist in the distant future simply can't imagine games being designed any differently. You think it's perfect because the developers design their games around the limitations of the antiquated controller.

Eight of my ten digits are still unused, because people think a controller has to be held up rather than flat. My thumbs have to control navigation and camera movement plus ten other buttons, while my index fingers control just two buttons each. It's so wasteful and means I have to use more menus, sub menus, button combinations and such instead of quick actions, while leaving the camera or navigation or using an awkward claw grip (though developers design their games with the expectation that you will use your thumb on the face buttons and D-pad, not your index in a claw grip). Dragging the camera with the limited (one centimeter) tilt range of a stick means any kind of aiming, which is so common now, will always be slow.

I want something new. Most console games aren't as simple to control and navigate as they were twenty-three years ago. They had much more auto-aim back then because the developers knew analog sticks were bad for aiming. Fairly certain the PlayStation 6 (2034?) will have this same layout too.

Did you grow extra fingers or something? Controllers dont change much because human hands dont change much.

Unless you're nintendo and just draw random shapes every generation.

Console gaming by design is meant to be simple and easy to pick up and understand. Complex control layouts exist on pc and you can have all you want on that platform

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Did you grow extra fingers or something? Controllers dont change much because human hands dont change much.

Unless you're nintendo and just draw random shapes every generation.

Console gaming by design is meant to be simple and easy to pick up and understand. Complex control layouts exist on pc and you can have all you want on that platform
Not really. The controllers complicate games that just aren't that simple anymore. You can still have both the simple and complicated games with a more versatile controller. Could have at least placed buttons on the back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Everyone is different so I am not going to criticize, but the only Dual Shock I ever had a problem with was the DS3. It just did not feel right to me. DS4 is easily the best for me, and has the best analog control sticks. The only minor problem is me activating L2 oe R2 by mistake when placing a controller on the couch. Also, some the early controller had sucky battery life and loss their charge. The more recent ones I've bought don't have this issue now, but it was a problem for me a few years ago. DS5 just looks more of the same, but all IPOD Future looking. I honestly prefer the look of DS4 compared to that. Too homogenized and boring design. I am sure it will play fine, but I will be buying other colors.

Speaking of controllers with buttons on the back. There are Power A Xbox Controllers. They have buttons on the back if you're interested.

Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One - Black, gamepad, wired video game controller, gaming controller, Xbox One, works with Xbox Series X|S

Not expensive either. Works fine on PC and all of the XBOX consoles.

Last edited: