The Quota

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
A lot of hatred towards people that don't like last hitting huh?

I think that it is a common thought among new players, it was for me. Focusing on farming creeps for so long rather than trading with champs made the game seem like a chore. At least at first. Now I get all the intricacies, the risks the rewards, but really, no need for all the hate. Peace and love folks... at least until my ult is off cooldown.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Ranged creeps with Desolators, Melee creeps with Hearts... that would be incredible... I think we need a new mode, Valve.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
RatherDull said:
BiH-Kira said:
tl.dr. Last hitting adds a strategical element to the game that auto attacking couldn't.
Are you shitting me? There is nothing strategic about it. Last hitting is entirely skill based.
It's not that simple. In order to put yourself in the best position to get a last hit it does take tactics. It's not just standing there, waiting for the creeps health to get low, and then clicking on them. One tactic is to click on the enemy hero in order to aggro the enemy creeps towards you. This can be beneficial to safety last hit since the enemy creeps will now be at your ranged creep vs. your melee creeps (although it can push the lane and you have to take that into consideration). Another is creep blocking, especially mid lane where attacking up hill causes a 25% miss chance (drawing aggro on the creeps is another tactic here if the enemy creeps are uphill and you want them to come down to your level). You can feign attack to get the other player to attempt to deny prematurely. You can attack certain creeps early in order to help you if you have an aoe attack or to set you up for the ability to get a last hit and a deny vs. just a last hit. There is even dropping items while under tower in order to properly last hit with the creeps taking tower damage. You can push a lane prematurely to control runes or force the enemy to last hit under tower, and doing that requires being able to push and last hit at the same time. On top of all of that, assuming you are not in a lane by yourself, there is a lot of risk/reward last hitting. You have to continually watch the map and determine if a last hit is worth the possible risk of being near the creeps or playing safe closer to your tower. All of these things are important tactics that are only made possible by the need to actually get the last hit on a creep. If you could just randomly hit creeps the risk factor would be mitigated since you could hit creeps over a longer period of time. Hitting under tower tactics would be meaningless. Miss chance up hill would be meaningless since missing one attack would not be a big deal, and therefore creep blocking would not be as big of a deal. It would also take away team building tactics. Some heroes are really good at last hitting vs. others. Eliminating last hits would imbalance many heroes (ranged heroes would get a massive buff since one of their big drawbacks is lower base damage than melee heroes which makes last hitting tougher), and having last hits adds another layer of complexity that must be taken into account when choosing a hero.

There is a lot more going on with last hitting than just being able to hit a creep at the right time, and I didn't even mention all of it.