The real reason Halo was/is so popular

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
spuddyt said:
Bob_F_It said:
I can't see how a [a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeaponOfChoice"]weapon of choice[/a] makes him suddenly better. Easier to picture, yes.
DAMN YOU, DAMN YOU TO HELL FOR POSTING THAT LINK I JUST SPENT 3 HOURS READING RANDOM SHIT ON
Welcome to tvtropes.org, where hours of otherwise productive time are lost to the inky electronic abyss of the interwebs.

avian304

Feb 22, 2009
JC Denton said:
avian304 said:
JC Denton said:
avian304 said:
Halo is the World of Warcraft of FPS. It's simple, decently done, very well polished, and easily accessible to the masses (Console users)

Thats why it was popular.
I guess that's how Doom became popular.
You could pretty much say that.
Except Doom didn't have countless other FPS's to get ideas from (with the exception of castle wolfenstien(sp?))
I guess Doom wasn't a great example I laid down the table.

Here's one:

Half-Life & Half-Life 2 took ideas from System Shock, Marathon, Unreal, Jurassic Park Trespasser, and Quake. Does that mean Half-Life is "simple", "decently done", "very well" "polished", and "easily accessible"?
Is Half life 2 simple? Yes
What did Half life 2 bring to the FPS genre that was revolutionary? Nothing, really. (Except really kewl crowbars)
Is Half life 2 polished? Extremely
Accessible? ...lol@steam

Half life 2, however, is just much, much, much more polished than Halo.

avian304

Feb 22, 2009
JC Denton said:
avian304 said:
JC Denton said:
avian304 said:
JC Denton said:
avian304 said:
Halo is the World of Warcraft of FPS. It's simple, decently done, very well polished, and easily accessible to the masses (Console users)

Thats why it was popular.
I guess that's how Doom became popular.
You could pretty much say that.
Except Doom didn't have countless other FPS's to get ideas from (with the exception of castle wolfenstien(sp?))
I guess Doom wasn't a great example I laid down the table.

Here's one:

Half-Life & Half-Life 2 took ideas from System Shock, Marathon, Unreal, Jurassic Park Trespasser, and Quake. Does that mean Half-Life is "simple", "decently done", "very well" "polished", and "easily accessible"?
Is Half life 2 simple? Yes
What did Half life 2 bring to the FPS genre that was revolutionary? Nothing, really. (Except really kewl crowbars)
Is Half life 2 polished? Extremely
Accessible? ...lol@steam

Half life 2, however, is just much, much, much more polished than Halo.
I agree that Half-Life 2 is a much superior game than Halo but I do think Halo has better A.I., gunplay, fire fights, vehicles {That's not to say the vehicle segment don't rock in Half-Life 2} and combat mechanics than Hal-Life 2.

Half-Life 2 beats Halo in terms of immersion, storytelling, level design, and game design.
This is kinda off track from my original post. So I'm not really sure where this is going. Never was comparing Halo with half life.
BTW how do I do the spoiler thingy to shrink the text?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The fact it can be a fun simple multi player game I think is what made it.

Unfortunately for me the SP part died a little with each sequel and 3 is the worest of the lot.... Halo 1 had alot going for it if they played up the level design with more maze and hub points,made the human vehicles a bit more resistant to blowing up but not fliping over the series could have been truly great but its just another B grade game with a enjoyable story but shotty design.... like Dark watch and Resistance...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

Unfortunately for me the SP part died a little with each sequel and 3 is the worest of the lot.... Halo 1 had alot going for it if they played up the level design with more maze and hub points,made the human vehicles a bit more resistant to blowing up but not fliping over the series could have been truly great but its just another B grade game with a enjoyable story but shotty design.... like Dark watch and Resistance...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RfMcpn0Cc
Better to have high standards than pay 60$ for crap constantly and think it is near perfect.
Sorry modern gaming fails the qaulity test regularly... mostly because people young stupid and don't know what qaulity is. But as guess as long as the new average is 7 no one cares they are too busy having fun with over priced average games.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

Better to have high standards than pay 60$ for crap constantly and think it is near perfect.
Sorry modern gaming fails the qaulity test regularly... mostly because people young stupid and don't know what qaulity is. But as guess as long as the new average is 7 no one cares they are too busy having fun with over priced average games.
Okay.... when did the hell did I or you were talking about modern gamers. That's not even the point I'm getting across here, we're talking about Halo.

You go with his description of video gamers who OVERLY critical over the most nonsensical and idiotic things in a video game. Plus, modern gaming and past gaming have little difference with each other, the only thing that has changed is the hardware and technology.
My fcking god when did you start gaming in 03? Before 00 gaming had a focus on enthusiasts and the games showed it with more detail and polish on them Quake 2/Half life todays FPS have a focus on shine,bland level layouts, small level layouts and don;t even get me started out how interfacing(weapon design,using items in environment,ect) has been fcked over for safe bland and rished games..... and its not just FPSs it effects all games even RPGs that have smaller not so intricate levels,equipment/skill systems not to mention dumb dialog traps(dialog cuts off mid conversation and you wonder where the rest of it went FO3/ME).

I am sorry but you have no clue what is up with the current qaulity of gaming which is directly connected to Halo since 2 and 3 are downgrades in qaulity. But then again you are happy with simplistic and watered down designs so this conversation is probably going over your head.
(Mods:Not being rude as much as trying to to communicate that a vegetarian is not going to enjoy steak plus I simply suck at communication ><)

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
Mind of I throw in my 2 cents.

Halo is a great game series. It is not perfect, but then what game is? One thing Halo did was evolve the way FPSs are made.

You had tons of things to play with in the multiplayer; excellent weapons that everyone enjoyed, and multiple vehicles that were hell of a lot of drive and shoot from. Sure regenerative health was not a new thing at this time, but Halo did it right.

The graphics are no way sloppy as I have seen games come out today that are far worse and the music Marty O'Donnell makes is by far the best music I have ever heard in a video game.

When Halo 3 came out you could do anything in multiplayer going farther than any other FPS wouldn't even dare to go. The possibilities were endless AND you can record all that footage with the theatre feature. The vehicles were never overpowered and never really gained the advantage for a team unless they played smart. You could jack the vehicles which is a hell a lot of fun and amazing to do. Halo was not the first game to have dual wields, but it is the first game I have played where you can dual wield freely without having to do some kind of glitch move or anything else.

The thing about "THE Spartan" was a very good plot idea. Everyone in the game looked up to you to save the day. Although I do admit that sometimes I wish the marines would fight for themselves a little more so I don't have to start the battle and end it as well.

Halo might not be the revolutionary game, it has problems just like Half-Life or any of the so called perfect games that other people might mention, but it was certainly a game that changed the way we play FPSs today. Some other FPSs claim to be a Halo killer and it;s sad because when they claim that then they are put up against tough competition and end up failing.

Some people might say that "It doesn't change the FPS at all" or something. Well there is only so much you can do to a FPS and each one follows the same standard. Otherwise it wouldn't be a game category. Some FPSs have gone a bit farther and added martial arts and combat in FPS but very few have pulled this off effectively like Breakdown and Mirror's Edge. Although I say Breakdown did it better.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
JC Denton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

Okay.... when did the hell did I or you were talking about modern gamers. That's not even the point I'm getting across here, we're talking about Halo.

You go with his description of video gamers who OVERLY critical over the most nonsensical and idiotic things in a video game. Plus, modern gaming and past gaming have little difference with each other, the only thing that has changed is the hardware and technology.
My fcking god when did you start gaming in 03? Before 00 gaming had a focus on enthusiasts and the games showed it with more detail and polish on them Quake 2/Half life todays FPS have a focus on shine,bland level layouts, small level layouts and don;t even get me started out how interfacing(weapon design,using items in environment,ect) has been fcked over for safe bland and rished games..... and its not just FPSs it effects all games even RPGs that have smaller not so intricate levels,equipment/skill systems not to mention dumb dialog traps(dialog cuts off mid conversation and you wonder where the rest of it went FO3/ME).

I am sorry but you have no clue what is up with the current qaulity of gaming which is directly connected to Halo since 2 and 3 are downgrades in qaulity. But then again you are happy with simplistic and watered down designs so this conversation is probably going over your head.
(Mods:Not being rude as much as trying to to communicate that a vegetarian is not going to enjoy steak plus I simply suck at communication ><)
I've been playing games during the early stages of the NES and DOS gaming thank you. I mean the FPS genre hasn't changed much in terms of form, they still hold ideas and mechanics from previous game titles.

You didn't explain why modern gaming is declined from gaming in the past; you need to give me a little bit more detail than just repeating what you have said before.

And please do spell check, you're "rishing" your posts.
You should be smart enough to figure out the mis worded/spelt word or 3, and you claim me perfectionist?

DOOM is the best damn parallel I can draw upon DOOM1/Quake2 we have little story alot of action and exploration Doom 3/Quake4 we get limited action and story with shiny graphics.

Limtied as in weapon design,limited as in size of levels and how they are layed out and for Q4 limited as in making use of being a fcking strogg.....hell as far as I am concerned the last great FPS innovation was the Metroid prime series.

Look at Halo each new version the game shirks in size, fallout 3?? bland equipment sets, limited model sets, a nerfed skill and point based system its a fcking joke.
Bioshock is pretty much the same only with smaller levels.

I am saying instead of having more open and finished/polished games we have limited due to graphics games that center around the surface areas of a project leaving everything else as an after thought.

The FPS grene is having its tit sucked dry due to devs seeking to rush the shooter market but the adventure market is the same look at AITD the RPG market is the same the same issue that plague ME and FO3 plague every other RPG hell look at FF12(or the WA remake) its skill system is broken for chisrt sake and the equipment system is so boring and bland its not even fun.

Mind you I know well I am the black sheeple on this, but still I say wake up and pick better what grass you naw upon.. the gass is killing us fickle ones.... LOL

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I bought Halo because it was the strongest launch game for the xbox. I guess the same goes for everyone who bought it. I loved Halo and got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I never bought Halo 2 but I played through the campaign whilst in a recording studio (It took a whole 5 or 6 hours I think). It was enjoyable also.

I bought Halo 3 for my 360 because it was one of the better games to be released at the time. Does that make me a sucker for marketing? I guess so, but it doesn't change the fact that I thought it was a good game.

All three have been well made with higher than usual production values, it had depth, interesting characters, solid voice acting, interesting and varied level design, good pacing, fantastic music, good story, excellent multiplayer etc.

I could go on but I don't wish to be called a fan boy. I liked the games because they are in my opinion better than many games I have played. I can rely on bungie to make a solid game with very little issues, bugs etc so when Halo 4 comes out, I'll buy that too.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
KeithA45 said:
But I think cynics miss the main selling point of Halo: The Spartan. It's not the back-story element of the Spartan, but rather being able to BE the Spartan. Master Chief is a god-among-men in a seemingly helpless war to save the entire human race, and each and every character in the game isn't afraid to tell you so or run for your life when they see you.
Hardly a selling point. The unstoppable protagonist is a staple of FPS games. The unnamed protagonist in Doom single handedly halted the legions of hell on both phobos AND deimos before invading hell itself. To top it off, when the combined defenses of the entire planet collapse under the weight of the demonic invasion of the mortal plane, the unnamed hero returns again to save the day. Duke Nukem's entire career involves saving the earth from an unstoppable alien invasion. World War 2 would have clearly gone differently had it not been for BJ Blaskovich's complete destruction of what appears to be most of the German war machine at Castle Wolfenstein. The lone hero out to save the world is so incredibly common that it's accepted at face value. So what the covenant destroyed every fortress or defense placed before them - I'm the master chief and have infinite lives!

If Halo deserves any praise for it's use of this trope (is there a word for something more common than a trope?) it lies precisely in it's presentation. You are the unstoppable machine built and bread for war and there is a certain inevitability about your victory. But in the most desperate hours of the last stand of mankind, I found that the reactions of the barely named extras cast provided the most telling story. Master Chief was but one unstoppable badass, and no matter HOW badass he was, someone had to man the line when the Chief wasn't looking. Walking into the scenes of carnage where a handful of marines had held the line against impossible odds without the aid of fancy magik (like infinite lives or regenerating armor, and the ability to instantly restore lost flesth, bone and blood by simply touching a medical pack) were the only place the story had any impact. As the Master Cheif you are truly a god among mortals, and because of that it is only in the deperation and suffering of your compatriots that you can find any hint of reward. Who the hell cares who Private Jenkins was or where the flood came from? All I know is that everything that wasn't dressed in marine or navy regalia clearly deserved to pay for Jenkins' death.

Kais86

May 21, 2008
I like the irony of the love/hate involving Halo, what truly makes this awesome is that hating the game for being popular is almost as popular as loving the game. I will admit though it doesn't help that Halo fans are rabid and will go on about it for hours which might have annoyed one or two people every time they did it, fast forward a few years and the anti-fanboys are just as bad as the fanboys.

I personally liked it because that was the first game with a decent vehicle section, a nice variety of weapons, a realistic design for a super-soldier, a story I found interesting, if not something I've seen before I still liked it, and really good sound. Halo took all the good elements of otherwise crappy games and combined it into something I found quite entertaining. I also had the dignity and self-respect to not ramble on about it for hours on end unless it was brought up in a case of extreme nerd-flexing. Halo also did a really good job of making me feel important which I approved of, although it and Metroid Prime could really switch notes on how to make a player feel important (Metroid had tons of text making you feel important and Halo had tons of people/aliens/A.I.s telling you were important, combine this and you will feel like god by the end of the game, not like you really needed any help since by the end of at least Metroid you are roughly equal to a battleship.)

GreenDevilJF

Dec 9, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Halo is popular because it is a very solid FPS with good controls and amusing and challenging enemies (come on, who doesn't like killing wieners as they run away waving their arms in the air?) and (in some opnions) a very likeable main character. Add to that a very popular multiplayer and enough media attention and it's easy to see why the game sells.
This, it has good controls and has one of the most played multiplayer I have ever seen with a game.