The Road and Legacy of Final Fantasy 7 Remake

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'll say it, I think the open world sections are a detriment to the game as a whole. There's good stuff in there, the actual sidequests and the Proto Relic stuff is good, as is Queens Blood, but the whole towers, summon shrines, life springs, combat trials... isn't. And you might argue it's all optional, which is correct, but the fact that the game literally keeps a tally of how much of any area you've done feels like it's guilt tripping me into doing everything before moving on. Which makes it increasingly feel like a list of chores I'm meant to do before I actually get to have fun.

And I will say it again, the actual proper side quests are actually pretty nice by RPG standards. I've actually somewhat come to care about bit characters like Kyrie, Regina or Johnny. I'd really rather have had a couple more of those and less pointless towers and combat trials.
I can kinda see that. They do make decent attempts at having even the life springs offer some lore rewards and additional unlocks. The life springs unlock the optional boss for the area and special crafting chips for more armors. So they did make the stuff have a purpose, except the Ubisoft towers but at this point those are so standard for open world games I don't see them going anywhere.

Personally I like the world enough and more importantly I like the combat a lot so running around as an excuse to engage in more battles is fine by me.

I will say though that I am exceptional disappointed that there is no generic banter between the characters while you run around. No quips, no little stories, nothing. The only banter that happens is during scripted side quests. The lack of random conversation makes the party feel a bit hollow while running around doing random shit. So I wish there had at least been an attempt as passive comments here and there.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've seen people trying to debate Final Fantasy 16 to Rebirth and judging which is a better game, which is just bizzaro-land to me. Rebirth is better is every single aspect and it's not even close. Nevermind my personal bias towards anything FF7 related, but just looking at the games objectively how can you even consider 16 even has a shot.

Of course the number 1 thing that Rebirth has over 16 is characters. From side characters to the main cast, FF7 has great characters that are all given time to breath and develop. Each has a unique personality, motivations, and backstory and push them to accomplish things during the course of the game. FF16 has none of that, not even the main character really has any drive to get anything done and kind of just lazily follow an idea that Cid had and nothing more. Nevermind the side characters which offer very little to the overall story which I feel is a main failing of 16 lacking any party system whatsoever.

Music is very subjective of course, but here I also find that FF7 wins because I can actually hum the melodies of dozens of the songs in the game without playing the game itself. 16 music is very bombastic but suffers from a lack of melody or memorability that let's you hum along to them even when you aren't playing the game. Dark Souls also has this problem imo, where boss music is epic and awesome but absolutely isn't memorable beyond the game itself.

Combat....I mean how is this even a discussion? 16 is a hacky slashy cooldown based system with no real tactics beyond guarding and dodging at the right time. Meanwhile Rebirth is extensively customizable with gear options, materia options, character options, partner attacks, all of which fully controlled and customized by the player to do a huge variety of things, not to mention enemies have strategies to fight them, different elemental weaknesses and combat tactics that change how you have to deal with them in game. It's fucking bonkers the level of depth Rebirth has.

I don't really understand where this zealotry comes from. You like 16 cool, but Rebirth isn't trying to take that away from you. So trying to compare how you're game is better than another game is really dumb, especially when you are provably wrong in every metric.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't really understand where this zealotry comes from. You like 16 cool, but Rebirth isn't trying to take that away from you. So trying to compare how you're game is better than another game is really dumb, especially when you are provably wrong in every metric.
Because people are always going to compare or compete against one piece of media to another, even if they're completely unrelated. The other reason being is that FF16 uses DMC 5's combat designer. So that's where the "better" argument comes from. At the end of the day, you have another case of blind fanboys or fangirls, no different from before. There's blind and zealot FF7 fans, they're no different from from your usual insufferable and blind parts of fandom.

I know some of this comes from a person want to be their games to do well, and be the best game it can be, but the stuff you like are going to have flaws of some kind. That's just a matter of fact. There's plenty of games I love that are excellent, but they come with their own flaws or issues. I've had no trouble admitting, you have plenty of others that either hold back on the criticism or go too far to the point of attacking other games. It's also another case of this thing is more popular than the thing that I like, so it must be attacked and hated. What you're seeing @CriticalGaming, is nothing new and it's just best ignore them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The detail they put into the music is just ridiculous. Yuffie's theme with new lyrics by Yuffie all fitting with her character as she expresses her boredom while her actual theme plays underneath it.

FF7 Rebirth might not be the best game ever made, but it's far and away the game with the best music ever made.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Played a little bit over the weekend and currently my only nitpick is the Chocobo, especiallly in the Grasslands.

It gets stuck on little rocks and ledges way too much when running across the area.