The Road and Legacy of Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Reading about the further storyline changes further lessens my interest in this. I'm not necessarily a massive FF purist, but the direction they're taking the story is just not one that interests me in the same way the original did.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am 20 hours into the game tqo regions of world map 100%ed and on story chapter 5 completed. Nothing has changed in the story too crazily mostly just expanded sequences and things to do that result in the same plot points. Im waiting for things to get wild because i just expected it based on what's set up. But so far nothing.

The world is fantastic though not without problems. Mainly movement can be janky over the terrain in places. And the chocobo mounts are even jankier which made me not use them except for required terrains to cross.

The activities are good mostly because they all almost focus on the excellent combat which is the same as Remake just bigger and more responsive then before. While some activities are very "ubisoft" like climbing towers they are all very simple and short. The collect-a-thon stuff is great always leading to a boss fight that is cool and unique. It is just fun to be around this world and see how they brought childhood to life.

Unless something changes this is easily GOTY for me.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
If 99% of a game is good, then an ending isnt going to ruin scores that much.
Can't comment on the ending in question, but an ending is more than the last 1% of the game. I think Yathzee made the comparison of going to a fancy restaurant for a great meal and at the end of the meal the chef comes and shit in your face, even though the rest of the meal was great, you're probably not going to go back to that place.

There's actually been a lot of anime/manga that I intentionally avoided finishing because I knew full well they wouldn't be able to stick the landing and it would sour my experience of it all, something which I started doing after so many of them did.

More to his point, I imagine most review are made long before people finish game, between game journo who have tight deadline and people who just want to have their review out first to pick up more traction, I wouldn't be surprised if half the review were made before someone finish a game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's actually been a lot of anime/manga that I intentionally avoided finishing because I knew full well they wouldn't be able to stick the landing and it would sour my experience of it all, something which I started doing after so many of them did.
I avoid long running manga in general, outside of one exception, because a majority either don't stick the landing, drag too long to get their, or both. I don't even bother with manga anymore for years, and it's either anime, a shorter anime or OVA, or nothing. I pick what only interests me.

More to his point, I imagine most review are made long before people finish game, between game journo who have tight deadline and people who just want to have their review out first to pick up more traction, I wouldn't be surprised if half the review were made before someone finish a game.
Not the first time's happened, and won't be the last.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Can't comment on the ending in question, but an ending is more than the last 1% of the game. I think Yathzee made the comparison of going to a fancy restaurant for a great meal and at the end of the meal the chef comes and shit in your face, even though the rest of the meal was great, you're probably not going to go back to that place.

One Piece and somewhat Attack on Titan will/has a good ending.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
That ending sucks. 10 years and that's the best author can come up with? I am so glad I dropped it around Season 2.
The second part the ending sucked, but it's meant to show a message about the folly of mankind and peace.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The second part the ending sucked, but it's meant to show a message about the folly of mankind and peace.
I got the message, but the author failed, even on that level. Like I said before, glad I quit and only focused on anime that knew when to end.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

All they had to do was copy the original ending, up the graphics, of course, integrate it with the gameplay, and not do kingdom come bullshit that makes no sense, and there's also a multiverse.

We need to stop with this multiverse stuff, it may not even be real in real life when we talk about physics. But I haven't seen it done well. Maybe Marvel/Disney could make it work, imagine if, at the end of Loki, Loki was delusional about being a world tree and still thought he was with his friends. It kills the emotional momentum.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm willing to bet a lot of these people who've reviewed the ending thus far missed a lot of added context from somewhere to be honest. Whether it's Remake, the OG game, or even side content in Rebirth. Because the amount of stuff there is to do in the game is fucking ridiculous and I can guarantee that people didn't do it all before reviewing the game. Over the past 4 days I have done nothing but play Rebirth as much as I physically possibly could, and I'm barely in Chapter 11/14. However i have done almost every activity in the open world in every zone, the only things i've not done are a couple final things that open in Chapter 12 supposedly.

My thoughts on the story up to this point are entirely positive. There are a few surprise things that are inserted here and there but they've done nothing but add mystery to the story thusfar. Otherwise every location has simply been expanded and fleshed out to be a bit more exciting that in the original game. For example the Junon sequence where you dress up and pose as a member of the parade to get on the Shinra boat to Costa Del Sol. That whole sequence is different, and what they did to it is great and a lot of fun. The basic premise still remains, you do dress up as a Shinra grunt and pose in a parade but it's just far more elaborate that it was originally. Every stop on the way through the game had been like that, the only exception is Gongaga which didn't really have much story in the original game now has a whole new thing that builds off of Crisis Core and it's pretty great to.

I can't speak on the ending, but based on the entire game I've played up to this point I can't really see how it's so bad it's enough to ruin the game for anybody. I mean Aerith would have to dive out of the way causing Sephiroth to kill Cloud instead of her and Zack magically takes over in this world for the 3rd game. Actually nevermind that sounds cool too. I dunno, but I find it hard to believe that with how good the writing and the story has been so far that it would fall apart so bad at the end. I guess I'll find out.

55 hours played every zone 100% completed up to this point. Every mini game conquered, almost max rank in Queens blood. I'm on course to fully complete everything except hard mode but the end of the first playthrough.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So is Sephiroth better this time around? Unlike Cloud who got brought out of his emo phase and became a great character Remake seemed to revel in the boring and simplified version of Sephiroth's character. Each time Remake shoved in a scene with Sephiroth it was always just him gloating about ruining cloud's day. Has Sephiroth found a new hobby since leaving Midgard or is that still his sole interest?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So is Sephiroth better this time around? Unlike Cloud who got brought out of his emo phase and became a great character Remake seemed to revel in the boring and simplified version of Sephiroth's character. Each time Remake shoved in a scene with Sephiroth it was always just him gloating about ruining cloud's day. Has Sephiroth found a new hobby since leaving Midgard or is that still his sole interest?
He's not around that much this time. Flashes here and there, but not much until late game.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'll say it, I think the open world sections are a detriment to the game as a whole. There's good stuff in there, the actual sidequests and the Proto Relic stuff is good, as is Queens Blood, but the whole towers, summon shrines, life springs, combat trials... isn't. And you might argue it's all optional, which is correct, but the fact that the game literally keeps a tally of how much of any area you've done feels like it's guilt tripping me into doing everything before moving on. Which makes it increasingly feel like a list of chores I'm meant to do before I actually get to have fun.

And I will say it again, the actual proper side quests are actually pretty nice by JRPG standards. I've actually somewhat come to care about bit characters like Kyrie, Regina or Johnny. I'd really rather have had a couple more of those and less pointless towers and combat trials.

Last edited: