The Road and Legacy of Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Reviews seem to be pretty glowing across the board. Its likely we have a gem on our hands.
Not the ones I'm seeing. I mean, they are positive, sure, but there are reservations about bloat, mini-games, side content, and story pacing.

My complaint about the review cycle is that so many are from folks who played and loved the original FF7. That is certainly a valid and important point of view but that game is 27 years old. Not all of us played it. FF7:rebirth is a whole-ass full price game and, IMO, should primarily be considered as such.

There are a lot of different entry points to the game:
- old-school FF7 vets
- people like me who only played remake so for us this is a sequel to a game from a few years ago, not the second part of a reimagining
- people who never played anything FF7, and among these
- RPG players
- action game aficianados

This could just be the limited games media I consume that lends itself to the "think too hard and try to sound smart" type of writers

This is a minor complaint because I already know how I feel about the game: I'm gonna wait for it to come to PC, then be Steam Deck verified, then be discounted. I enjoyed remake but I didn't LOVE it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I went to one of those special screenings of Advent Children at the movie theater. And it is a movie that makes a lot more sense given the context of what has come out with FF7 since the original release.

The short stories Lifestream white/black and now the greater context of the Remake saga has added to the story of the film. And it makes a lot of moments and storybeats come together better.

The movie is still messy but i find it not that bad anyway thanks to that added knowledge.

I remember being so amazed by the graphics 20 years ago when the movie came out, but today it was like watching a PS3 game lol. They had a 20 minute presentation by the FF7 developers befoee the film where they talked about why they made the movie and how it affected the Remake.

Kitase said that they always wanted to see the characters more realistically realized and when it came time to make a something with modern tech they chose to do a FF7 film. And the film itself made them think about how a game would work in the same style.

Nomura also explained that all the crazy junping around bullshit was more a test of how they could make the characters move in that style of CG and laughed that he probably went overboard. But the movie was a big test of animation capability and they learned a lot about how it could be applied in games.

So it was a cool experience and there are some things in the movie that make me think there are going to be callbacks to it in Rebirth. Namely Clouds crazy omnisword, which i think Gilgamesh has and we will get from beating him.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Apparently Remake got patched and they changed the last line in the game from this:
1709025335842.png

To this
1709025370047.png

Not really sure why. The new line is worse tho, even if a more accurate translation of the original Japanese.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently Remake got patched and they changed the last line in the game from this:
View attachment 10737

To this
View attachment 10738

Not really sure why. The new line is worse tho, even if a more accurate translation of the original Japanese.
Certainly less poetic. Probably something related to an event in Rebirth or changed dialog that didn't quite match up. The original sort of implies that Aerith liked Midgar, or was comfortable there, which isn't exactly the case? Versus the update highlight more of her fear of the sky because falling swords and stuff.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Here i sit only 11 hours away from the game and I'm uncontrollably hyped. I keep looking at the fucking clock and it's driving me mad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here i sit only 11 hours away from the game and I'm uncontrollably hyped. I keep looking at the fucking clock and it's driving me mad.
If you're not at work, then just keep yourself busy with other games. It's not that long for you. I have to wait nearly a whole month for Hi-Fi Rush to come out on PS5 when it should be out next week or the week after next week.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If you're not at work, then just keep yourself busy with other games. It's not that long for you. I have to wait nearly a whole month for Hi-Fi Rush to come out on PS5 when it should be out next week or the week after next week.
I'm at work!!!!! ARGH!!!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That makes two of us. You'll get off at some point and then just enjoy yourself and kill some time. Watch some TV or a movie when you get home. I got some good recommendations if you're interested.
I'm gonna try to finish the Platinum for Persona 3 reloaded. Last night I got the Platinum for Tekken 8 which is my 1st fighting game Plat so I'm proud of that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm gonna try to finish the Platinum for Persona 3 reloaded. Last night I got the Platinum for Tekken 8 which is my 1st fighting game Plat so I'm proud of that.
For T8, did you enjoy the story mode? What was your favorite chapter? Mine is chapter 10. You probably already know why.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For T8, did you enjoy the story mode? What was your favorite chapter? Mine is chapter 10. You probably already know why.
I skipped all of it tbh. The lore for tekken is nonsense to me and i didnt care.

I did watch everyone's arcade stories though and i like all of the ones where Law is a walking joke.

The final fight of story mode beat my ass for a long time. I suck with Jin.

Lili is my main, her style just works with my buttonmashing scrubness.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
skipped all of it tbh. The lore for tekken is nonsense to me and i didnt care.
The cutscenes may be, but I highly doubt you were able to skip any of the combat encounters. The game won't let you. I love the Tekken Force Warriors moment. I want that as a separate mode in a later update! That way you can choose whatever character you want. Everything in Tekken maybe insane, but this eight entry has the best single player in a fighting game ever made. Including the extra single player content. It is so hard to go back to Tekken 7 now. I don't even have my copy anymore. I traded it in months ago.

everyone's arcade stories though and i like all of the ones where Law is a walking joke.
I like the better when Law was a more serious character with small moments of humor.
The final fight of story mode beat my ass for a long time. I suck with Jin.
Especially on hard mode.