The Royal wedding.. Any thoughts?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
As an American, I feel bad for the couple, because they are constantly bombarded with people watching them. Their wedding is nothing more than an extravagant display of excess, with little meaning attributed to the wedding itself.

It's like sacrificing your life to the media.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I didn't mind the hoopla until I tried to watch the news one night, and found that they'd devoted something like 2/3rds of the program to this subject. Seriously, there ARE other things going on in the world.

I'm hoping that Prince Harry is looking at this huge production, and then decides to elope when he decides to marry - causing a huge scandal.

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
I?m English and frankly I think the wedding is just been hyped to improve their image.

Yes Wills and Kate probably do want to marry for love etc but the Media are using it to sell papers, the Royals are using it to improve their image, companies are using it to sell themed crap and the government are using it to hide bad news.

?In the years to come Britain will see massive cuts and job losses unheard of in generations but look two barely important people with no political power or proper significance other than being relatives to the outdated monarch are getting married yay!?

Personally I think the Royals do assist Britain in improving our image and creating personal ties with other world leader that the Prime Minister is too busy to do but all that is off-set by the casual racism, the drug scandals and the absolute waste of public money. Personally I won?t be watching the wedding live I will instead be using my day off to do something productive all the while praying that something interesting will happen- a streakier runs past the Cathedral, a mop of protestors, even just someone making a massively public gaff right in the middle of it all. That's what I?m waiting for.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
ive got thought!
its gonna cost me a lot of my money and i dont give to shits about the royals
so its not a win win situation for me at all!

Crazed_Puppeteer

Jan 15, 2011
pyramid head grape said:
Brutal Peanut said:
American: I don't care.
British: still don't care
Vulcan: still don't care

On a serious note, as I was reading this thread, two people actually came around the social lounge area I was in and gave candy out to everyone advertising the big event. They seemed genuinely excited about this event taking place, and were more than happy to part with the chocolate they were giving out. It was just a quick reminder that what I might find meaningless is meaningful to some, and vice versa...that said I'm SO glad they didn't look at my computer screen.

Oh, and no, I'm not watching.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Grrr why couldn't it be last week???? Now i have to wait till saturday for my power supply instead of tomorrow (had to pay extra for saturday because next day was for the 3rd...), wish they'd stop going on about it too.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My only thought is, "Man, I wish I had been invited." I don't follow them, I know next to nothing about royalty, and I'm not important. Still, to be able to go to the biggest wedding in the century would be something I could tell my grandchildren about one day. An interesting experience to be sure.
I'm having more fun rolling my eyes at all these people that are throwing fits because they didn't get invited. It's the Prince's and Kate's wedding. They can invite whoever they want.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I think crashing that party would be awe-some-o :D
Besides this. its not really on my mind at all. Let em have their stiff theremonies and stuff. I got work in the garden to do.
But i am sure i wont invite them to my weddings after not sending me an invitation.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Want my thoughts?

It can fuck right off. It's been in the fucking news, every fucking day, and I am sick to death of it. Sure, have a lot of publicity for it. But not this much.

This isn't the Royal Wedding. This is the Royal Massive Publicity Stunt (featuring some rich people getting married).

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
OMG, I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH RIGHT NOW! :D

I'm so happy to read the majority saying "don't care", it brings me joy.

Seriously, what makes this wedding any more important than any other? Marriage in general is a complete waste of time and money and celebrity marriages even more so.

I personally would like to see the back of the monarchy. They're outdated and unimportant and I have a feeling that the only people willing to cling to the tradition lived in an age when that kind of thing was important. It isn't now, so please, let it go.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Shuswah_Noir said:
I'm not sure I'm having any 'thourghts'...

I personally am not that fussed. I'm Australian. I'm sick of seeing it in the news, cause it's not really news, more current affairs. But there's always going to be something, and at least it's something positive in the news instead of scare mongering bollocks that you normally have forced down your throat.
Do current affairs not count as a part of the news then? Although I do agree on everything else, I'm English and I'm bored of the royal wedding being in the news too. Too much fuss over people who don't really have much power or importance anymore.
EDIT: That's not to say I'm not proud of our monarchy, even if it doesn't mean that much. It's just that all this fuss over the wedding seems a bit pointless. The only good thing about it is the public bank holiday.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
llew said:
British and could give two fucks about someone who does fuck all for his money getting married
Prince William is a Lieutenant for the RAF and the Navy. That's hardly doing fuck all for his money. The truth is the Queen is the only member of the family still on the Civil List. Prince Harry is in the army and Charles has often promoted Environmental security and founded The Princes Trust (the objective being to help young people). Aside from maybe the Queen herself (who still draws money by way of being a tourist attraction) I'd say most of the family has worked for their money.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I keep an open mind on everything that's going on in the world, but normal weddings bore me so this one isn't really any different.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I'm English and I really couldn't care less... I know many Americans who are way more interested than I am.
It's not like I don't like the Royals... I like them quite a lot, just not too bothered by a fancy wedding.
Most of my friends haven't got the day off so not that many shops seem to care about it either.

Despite this I'll probably check out a little of it just so I can understand what people are saying about it.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Jumpingbean3 said:
llew said:
British and could give two fucks about someone who does fuck all for his money getting married
Prince William is a Lieutenant for the RAF and the Navy. That's hardly doing fuck all for his money. The truth is the Queen is the only member of the family still on the Civil List. Prince Harry is in the army and Charles has often promoted Environmental security and founded The Princes Trust (the objective being to help young people). Aside from maybe the Queen herself (who still draws money by way of being a tourist attraction) I'd say most of the family has worked for their money.
knew about harry but as far as i was aware all william did was go on tours of the country waving his hand. but if he is in the RAF then i take my hat off and salute... still don't care if he is getting married though :p