The Safe haven thread: Talk about anything

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I've just started watching Babylon 5, the pilot was great, as a science fiction fan, it's terrible I have never seen it before. I hope it doesn't drop the ball too many times, and that the end is satisfactory :D

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Woohoo!!! I finally put all ~550 Beatles tracks on my laptop, created a Spotify playlist, and synced it to my phone to listen to everywhere. Nothing like 20 hours of Beatles to keep me all zen. ;) That's the entire stereo and mono box sets from 2009, the Anthology series, and a metric shit-ton of bootlegs.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
chozo_hybrid said:
I've just started watching Babylon 5, the pilot was great, as a science fiction fan, it's terrible I have never seen it before. I hope it doesn't drop the ball too many times, and that the end is satisfactory :D
It totally is, if you watch it correctly.

See, season 4 was meant to wrap the show up, but then they got an extra season greenlit because their ratings were high, so they had to write a ton of lame shit just to fill the space. But they couldn't end the 4th season the way it was meant to end, because season 5 would have no place at all. So, they filmed a new season 4 finale, and then pushed the real one to the end of season 5. The problem is, the new season 4 finale is so bad, it just shits on the whole show. Season 5 continues shitting on the show until you get to the end, which just awkwardly brings back a bunch of characters that left the show in season 5 (this was filmed for season 4 after all) and then you finally get the closure you should have had a season ago. Do yourself a favor, and skip all the extra content. Skip the final episode of season 4, and ONLY watch the final episode of season 5. It will flow SO much better. If you still want more Babylon after that, you can then watch season 5 and finish with the season 4 finale. It makes all the difference.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Not The Bees said:
I recently read Yahtzee's book Jam. I'm thinking of getting Mogworld. I haven't decided yet if I want to or not.

Also, I have been going through a really weird unicorn phase. I'm not sure if it's because I'm about to turn 31, or if it's because I recently suffered a concussion. I hope it's not permanent.
DO IT! Mogworld is great, also one of the main characters in JAM! is in Mogworld. He plays a fairly small role, but it's fun to see the connection.

Mogworld and JAM! are two of my favorite books. I hope Yahtzee keeps writing books on the side.

Everyone has a Unicorn phase. You're just a late bloomer.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Signa said:
I appreciate the advice, will run that by my flat mates I am watching it with :) By the way, your avatar cracks me up :D

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I've been looking for a good show to binge watch lately, and I was hoping someone here could give me a good recommendation. I'm sort of feeling in an Anime mood (especially since I'm going to Japan for a few years come December) so I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice on some shows. Recent shows that I've watched and loved :

Black Mirror
Rick and Morty
Watamote
Toradora!

Also please don't recommend me

FMA: Brotherhood

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
chozo_hybrid said:
Signa said:
I appreciate the advice, will run that by my flat mates I am watching it with :) By the way, your avatar cracks me up :D
Thanks!

I also push for the "correct" viewing order because I didn't heed a friend's advice to do the same, and I regretted it. I think I started playing Portrait of Ruin on my DS while I left season 5 play in the background because of how unengaging it was. After it was done, I kinda felt a little underwhelmed by the whole show; it was good, but not great. I rewatched it 2 years ago (because I like rewatching things on my lunch breaks :) ), and skipped everything I just told you to. My feelings for the show increased quite a bit because I didn't have all that crappy filler to stall the story.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Frozengale said:
I've been looking for a good show to binge watch lately, and I was hoping someone here could give me a good recommendation. I'm sort of feeling in an Anime mood (especially since I'm going to Japan for a few years come December) so I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice on some shows. Recent shows that I've watched and loved :

Black Mirror
Rick and Morty
Watamote
Toradora!

Also please don't recommend me

FMA: Brotherhood
The Vision of Escaflowne is a great fantasy anime from the 90's made by the same studio that made Cowboy Bebop, and an especially great series to binge watch. Almost every episode ends in such a way that you just have to know what happens next. Check it out!

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Not exactly talking, more like asking but, I want to know how to embed videos into and use spoilers tags in posts in the forum. Thanks in advance for help.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Dandark said:
I just got Bound by fire while it was on sale on Steam and i've been enjoying it so far. I can already see some of the flaws that i'd seen people complain about but i've been enjoying it decently so far.
I heard various complaints about the combat but I find myself enjoying it even if it can be a bit frustrating at times. Im just worried about the length as i've heard it's quite short and despite only just finishing the tutorial I am already halfway through one of the skill trees and I worry that it will end too soon.
I played the first half hour of this game but hadn't gotten into the groove yet with it yet, but glad to see someone else is enjoying it.

Did you play mars: war logs by chance? by the same developer, it's also quite the rough gem, but I really enjoyed that, so I'm hoping to enjoy this game too (eventually).
I heard Mars: war logs mentioned in a few of the Bound by flame reviews but have never played it or seen footage of it before.
Im enjoying Bound by flame so I might check it out once im done with the Bound. The combat is starting to get really challenging now though so it will likely take me a while since I plan to do two playthroughs.

I actually planned to not listen to the demon on my first playthrough since I assumed it would be the standard good vs evil moral choice system. However I find myself agreeing with the demon a lot and despite intending to go through it resisting him I already have demonic eyes, an altered voice and am permanently on fire.
So im really enjoying the possessed by a demon aspect so far, much more well done than I expected.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Holy shit someone got assassinated this morning and just two streets from where I live. I hadn't left the house yet today and didn't look at any news sites so I just found.

source(in dutch)

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Been watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time, on ep 48, loving the hell out of it, the pacing is so much smoother than the original.
Oh man you're in for a good anime.

Speaking of which, I have to keep watching Tengen Toppa...

GURREEEEEEEN LAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Today I defeated the Four Kings of Dark Souls for the second time. I have to say, it was absolutely pants-wetting, even with Witch Beatrice at my side. Dropping into a pitch-black, featureless void, hearing the "oh shit" chorus music start up and watch this tattered grey spectre come charging out of the darkness at you and knowing that more like him will be on their way...

One of the few things that I thought the sequel did better than Dark Souls were the 'Great Soul' bosses; Nito and Seath are slow and clumsy, and the Bed of Chaos is just terrible in every respect. But I'd say the Four Kings are probably one of the best fights in the game, up there with the Gaping Dragon and Ornstein and Smough.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Not The Bees said:
My husband and I are moving into our first official flat. We lived together before getting married, but it was his apartment. So I know how exciting that can be. Also, good luck on your job interview.

Wuthering Heights is wonderful. Although Jane Eyre by her sister Charlotte will always be my favourite. Something about Jane has always called to me.

Good luck again!
Thanks :) I was introduced to the people who I would be working with and the lady who is going to interview me today, so my hopes are quite high at the moment!

And I love Jane Eyre too, it's one of my favourites. I love the story, I love the romance, I love Jane. She is an absolutely wonderful, strong character and I adore her narration.

Catfood220 said:
That happened to me last year, I applied for the job in November 2012 and never heard anything back so assumed that I hadn't even got through to the interview section. Then in February last year I got called for the interview...which I was 20 minutes late for...somehow must have wowed them at the interview for that not to matter and within 2 months had moved to a new town and new job. Well, same job just full time. Having worked here for a year and a half, I have seen how slowly everything happens when it comes to employing new staff, so I'm not surprised it took so long to hear anything back.
Wow from november til Feb? that's mad! But great that you got it in the end :D

Lunar Templar said:
I like this gues avatar, make my snicker every-time, also, congrats on the interview, jobs are still kinda hard to come by sadly, as after over a year a friend of mine FINALLY is getting back to work him self.
other then that, despite being a fan of country music.
Hey there! I'm happy to hear your friend got back into work over a year! :)

And hello fellow country music fan! :D It's nice to meet you! I agree, I hate that kind of thing too.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Padwolf said:
Hey there! I'm happy to hear your friend got back into work over a year! :)

And hello fellow country music fan! :D It's nice to meet you! I agree, I hate that kind of thing too.
yeah, he's pretty happy about it :D

and

least it's not as bad as the stuff that's not really country they try and pass of as country *stares directly at 'This is how we roll'* same friend mentioned above, notta fan of country, doesn't hate it just not his thing. Even he agrees that that song isn't country. (I'm slowly trying to convert him by sending him songs I think he'll enjoy though, like Cold One and Drunk on a Plane. He liked both :D )

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
JohnZ117 said:
Not exactly talking, more like asking but, I want to know how to embed videos into and use spoilers tags in posts in the forum. Thanks in advance for help.
For Spoiler tages put the following without the spaces

[ Spoiler ] Text [ /Spoiler ]

[ Youtube=OWPfcEOr2Yg ] (=OWPfcEOr2Yg is the number at the end of each youtube url)

Like so (video was just the last youtube video in my history)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
I also just got round to installing Borderlands 2 on my PC. I had it on the PS3 but steam had the GotY edition on sale and now that I have the DLC I cannot choose what character to go for. I have already played the Siren and Zero so any sugestions for who I shold pick next out of the other original 2 and the DLC 2 would be helpfull.
I played as the Mechromancer and it was honestly one of the most unique experiences I had. First of all Deathtrap is just good. I was expecting even the tiniest bit of tankiness so enemies would stop shooting me, but Deathtrap was not only a bulletsponge but a complete beserker who would fly all over the arena and beat enemies to death. Good, loved Deathtrap.

But the best part of the Mechromancer is Anarchy. Every time you kill someone or reload when your magazine is empty, you get a single Anarchy point that moderately increases damage while lowering accuracy, and other skills lower the amount of shots you hold in a magazine. Reloading when your magazine still has bullets in it wipes your Anarchy back to zero. Anarchy can stack up 600. That means, so long as you never reload, you have a class that is dedicated to throwing as many inaccurate, high damaging bullets at your target regardless of which weapon you use, and you can still summon Deathtrap. Highly suggest using revolvers, SMGs and ARs dedicated to fast rates of fire.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Okay(cracks virtual knuckles), let's do this.

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
1) Douglas Adams English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

Edit: Success, YES!! The world is mine!! :p

Captcha; know your paradoxes This statement is false.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
I guess not that many people heard of yesterday's small revival of this years' World Cup final: Germany vs Argentina, only 2 months after the WC finales. The match was planned some time ago, not knowing that this will be a WC rematch. Maybe someone is interested in this, despite the short time of football enthusiasm is gone by now.

During the first ~50 minutes of the game Germany got schooled by Argentina: 0:4. Germany at least shot two goals in the last minutes and ended the match with 2:4. (some more goal action going on as in the actual final)
They didn't deserve to loose this hard, they had some really good opportunities they barely missed. But Argentina played very good.

Our German team we saw yesterday wasn't the team of the WC anymore. Our captain Lahm is gone, Klose has left the team, the new captain Schweinsteiger couldn't play and keeper Neuer only played for the first half of the match - the second keeper had to get some experiences. Gomez, the striker for this match, wasn't even part of the WC's team.
Also, the qualifying for European Cup is starting this week, so Germany had to save some of their strength.

But even so, Germany didn't play too good. Argentina on the other hand did a great job. Their defense maybe had some problems but the offense was really great, even without Messi (or maybe because of that?). If they keep it that way, maybe they'll have their comeback in 2018.

Also, German fans have been have been unsportsmanlike as many times before and booed at their own striker. He didn't play good at all, but nobody should be attacked by their own fans.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Lieju said:
My ferret Milou was sick, and throwing up, so I was worried.

But now I'm happy to report she seems to be fine.
Did you know a group of ferrets is called a business?

You need to get more than Milou, then you can always be "taking care of business".