The Scariest Games Ever

DeadlyFred

Aug 13, 2008
trombone2007 post=9.68472.630347 said:
On a side note, I remember a game for the Sega CD (of all things) that scared me to death. Granted, i was a 8 year old boy at the time, but it was still scary as hell. I don't remember the name, but you played as a guest at a bed and breakfast, and the tenants were vampires who sucked the blood out of the guests, not by biting them, but by hooking them up to machines and sucking every last drop of you and everyone else.
I'm gona go out on a limb and say: 7th Guest?

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Silent Hill, the first one. God that shit is fucked up. I think it's the fact that you have so little ammo that does it. When you run out of bullets and suddenly a bunch of evil dogs are chasing you. Or one of those monkey things, those things were fucked up. And it's always so dark.

But that sound, that the radio makes... God that sound scares the shit out of me. If anything I owned ever started making that sound I'd probably have a heart attack.

Relgaro

May 30, 2008
I didnt find bioshock scary... atmospheric yes, scary no. No bits in Bioshock really made me jump, most of it was shock due to the mass of blood and corpses found in the crazy surgeons medical pavillion which probably was the most chilling part of the game.

System shock 2 proved atmosphere and frights, but the game that i completed that really scared me (I didnt have shit stains it was a shit Tsunami every time i played), was Condemned criminal origins. It was like playing a role in Se7en, that awesome film with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. A psycho killer on the loose, a strange and dark consipiracy and lack of light proved Condemned to be one of the most scary games i have played yet, its like Penumbra but with more melee, though one mission was really good in Condemned which was the back alley part which was perfectly lighted and was basically a suvival brawl session.

Also silent hill 2 had a powerful effect on men, i didnt even play the first one purely for experiencing the first five minutes and already i was shitting myself, though i may try that again. Silent hill 2 was great for atmosphere, everything looked so dark and grainy, and you could here sounds in the background, the banging of metal and what not... its moments like this i wish it was more of a zombie situation.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
In my experience, there has been only one game that has recreated a the sense of foreboding and anxiety that you get with true fear; Alien vs Predator.

Play as a marine in that game, with the lights off, and prepare to change your underwear.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Condemned 1. 2 just wasn't as scary, but it was just as much fun.

Seriously though Condemned gets in your head and just messes with you.

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
Most likiely would be Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines.
The Hotel on the beach scared the living daylights, shit, beejeezus any other phrase you can think of.

Relgaro

May 30, 2008
meatloaf231 post=9.68472.630761 said:
Condemned 1. 2 just wasn't as scary, but it was just as much fun.

Seriously though Condemned gets in your head and just messes with you.
That it does that it does, its that weird shakey noise that happens every now and then, i actually found the fights quite intense after hearing:
"Get out you mother fucker" in an angry muffled voice from the shadows, suddenly a chair comes hurtling across the room towards you. Though i found that the game started at some points got a little silly, with the creatures and what not... much like the ending of Fear.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
The game that scared me the most was Thief: The Dark Project. Unlike doom 3, Bioshock, or Systemshock 2 (all three which I found scary/startling/creepy at parts) it had a great feeling of vulnerability due to a lack of uber monster-sploding weapons. Instead you were stuck with a sword, blackjack, and a limited amount of arrows/gadgets. On top of that you need to be stealthy, which builds up a whole lot of tension. Add in the fantastic creepy atmosphere and it makes one hell of a scary game.

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
Painkiller, there's zombies climbing on the ceiling! And they fall on you! Heh, they lack limbs so they stumble up and fall on you. And those creepy things with lightbulbs on their head, and my flashlight isn't working... When I was younger I had serious problems with Ravenholm.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Honestly, this thread should have started and ended with one post:

Fatal Frame

When a games Pause menu even has a chance to scare the crap out of you, you have the winner. For every other game series you name, if you have NOT played the Fatal Frames, then you haven't seen video game horror.

Just trust me on this one. Fatal Frame. End of Topic.

billy-j

Dec 16, 2007
Silent Hill 1, amazingly creepy atmosphere and the PS1 graphics actually helped make it scarier

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
Bioshock wasn't that scary for me. Not "STOP FUCKING WITH MY MIND!" or "THESE MONSTERS ARE MAKING ME PISS MYSELF" scary. It was more of a "HOLY SHIT THERE'S AN ENEMY WHERE THE FUCK DID HE COME FROM" scary.
I can't tell you Scary games I've PLAYED seeing as I'm a wimp, but I can tell you scary games I used to watch my family play when I was younger, cause I was really stupid.
Resident Evil 2 wasn't that scary, but it did make me always cover my toes when in bed, in fear of getting them nibbled off by zombies.
Parasite Eve 2 was freakin' creepy, those monsters were fucked up.
Silent Hill was absolutely fucking creepy.
But the winner of "Scariest Game I've Watched (Because I'm Too Wimpy To Play Them)" goes to Silent Hill 2. That game gave me nightmares for two years, and robbed me of my sleep.
I hope it's bloody well happy.

rakdosleader

Aug 15, 2008
why has no one said silent hill 3. Heather pukes up the evil fetus and then the cult women digests it. Dude, that is freakin scary and disturbing O_O

UPS Express

Aug 1, 2008
jeremyTH post=9.68472.629862 said:
Always remember the perfect scare tatic
First,Complete and total mind fuckery
Than,Random images.
Bingo!!

I must say, for me, F.E.A.R. scared the fuck out of me. F.E.A.R. had both. It totally screwed with your mind, what with all the constant location and position changes, Vertigo....

And the random baddies that walk around a corner, then you do, and nobody's there.

However, as for Extraction Point/ Perseus Mandate, only one part really scared me. You begin walking into a dark, creepy alleyway, where you expect for there to be something scary. Well, you get to a dead end, and there's just some blood on the wall. So, you turn around and WHAM! Big, old corpse-y, zombie looking thing.

UPS Express

Aug 1, 2008
Limos post=9.68472.630662 said:
Silent Hill, the first one. God that shit is fucked up. I think it's the fact that you have so little ammo that does it. When you run out of bullets and suddenly a bunch of evil dogs are chasing you. Or one of those monkey things, those things were fucked up. And it's always so dark.

But that sound, that the radio makes... God that sound scares the shit out of me. If anything I owned ever started making that sound I'd probably have a heart attack.
You mean white noise?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I don't know what to say. I'm either completely immune to all forms of video game horror (I'm a Paladin, go figure) or I just don't play enough horror games. What few I have, haven't once even unnerved me.

Except one time when I was playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time when I was like 5 or something. I got goosebumps on my ass, literally. (I think it's a bodily disorder I have)