The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
could go on like this, but the last one covered in the video was the weirdest one; ER is definitely more approachable, offers more build and respec options, and easier to level up and gear your characters, but it 's in no way "easier" than Dark Souls. They have their own thing which makes them difficult
That guy on the last video AM was commentating on is more than likely a troll. I couldn't take anything he said seriously. I do appreciate the shout out to Monkey Ball. The older hands can be really challenging.

One thing I do disagree with AM, Is the pause button situation. The lack of a pause button does not create any better immersion. I can be immersed with something that has a pause button. A pause button would not kill the experience. There are plenty of Souls style games that have pause buttons or have the inventory menu act as a pause button and nobody complains about those.

Edit: Here we go...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I watched the video earlier. And I am kinda in agreement with ActMan here, some of these hottakes are weird, just not as spicy

RDR2 vs Elden Ring? WTF that's just a weird comparison to make. That's like trying to compare Zelda TOTK vs Spiderman 2. While I enjoyed both RDR2 and Elden Ring. both games excel in their own way. Not to mention RDR2 had more labor force going in.

Wticher 3 vs Elden Ring? Again enjoyed both but I can wholeheartly say I enjoyed the story of Witcher 3 more, since Elden Ring doesn't really have distinct narrative.

No healing mechanic? Bruh, you do realize timing of all your actions are part of soulsborne experience, right? Although some bosses definitely go a bit overboard with choking the safe window

I could go on like this, but the last one covered in the video was the weirdest one; ER is definitely more approachable, offers more build and respec options, and easier to level up and gear your characters, but it 's in no way "easier" than Dark Souls. They have their own thing which makes them difficult
The RDR2/ER comparison is likely the biggest example of a shit post since the only similarity is the scale of the open world stuff. They go about them so differently but each plays to the strengths of the devs.

He said spicy but they may as well have been shit takes. I think he was pretty spot on with his commentary on them. It basically boils down to people being stupid heads.

Anyways,

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
That guy on the last video AM was commentating on is more than likely a troll. I couldn't take anything he said seriously. I do appreciate the shout out to Monkey Ball. The older hands can be really challenging.

One thing I do disagree with AM, Is the pause button situation. The lack of a pause button does not create any better immersion. I can be immersed with something that has a pause button. A pause button would not kill the experience. There are plenty of Souls style games that have pause buttons or have the inventory menu act as a pause button and nobody complains about those.

Edit: Here we go...

Yeah Sekiro did have a pause button, which I thought was a nice QoL. However, I do think pause button in other soulsborne gameswas missing due to the co-op capabilities; Unless there was a way to separate the menu and a pause button?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Are you talking about that comment from Alanah Pierce that having a kid is a disability because they could distract you and you wont be able to pause the game?

That take is so stupid. Because what happens if you get distracted? One boss attempt goes to waste? Oh no the horror! That's not a disability to someone's playing ability. Being distracted is not a limitation or hinderance on the playability of a Souls game. I am not suffering because my microwave burrito was beeping at me half way through a boss fight.

Jesus the excuses people come up with. What the fuck?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are you talking about that comment from Alanah Pierce that having a kid is a disability because they could distract you and you wont be able to pause the game?

That take is so stupid. Because what happens if you get distracted? One boss attempt goes to waste? Oh no the horror! That's not a disability to someone's playing ability. Being distracted is not a limitation or hinderance on the playability of a Souls game. I am not suffering because my microwave burrito was beeping at me half way through a boss fight.

I wasn't referring to her, but a pause button wouldn't hurt either way. I don't care how you feel or disagree with her on the matter.

Unless there was a way to separate the menu and a pause button?
Ask @hanselthecaretaker2. There is a way to pause the other Souls games, but it's required in some way most people aren't going to know about their first time through.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Briar shield doesn’t have the best guard boost for great shields, but the bleed bonus with shield bash plus the bleed on great stars is a nice combo. Infusing cold for added frost is fun. You could even put that on a second great stars from the NPC phantom found in Writheblood ruins if doing Varre’s questline and go full unga bunga with claw/hammer talismans, or swap out the claw for curved sword talisman when using the shield.
hmm...
Well I like the Briar shield because it's the lightest greatshield I found but I'll keep a watch on its effectiveness for guard. I even put the no skill on the shield so I can more easily use my right hand weapon art of war but I didn't think about negating the shield's bleed effect by doing that. I'll try putting it back and see if I can get a shield-bash + stick smash fight style going.

But as I'm bouncing back in between Mt Gelmir and Lyndell I'm already starting to experience what I feared- can't guard counter because everything moves around too fast.
Rather I spent my upgrade materials on a spear with spectal lance because I saw Jack Packard do it on his stream and it was the only way I could defeat a full born morning star beast near Volcano Manor and some gargoyle that appears on the stairs of Lyndell. I'm now in bullshit fly around hit box mode and trying to hit them with my big smashy stick is a comedy of angles.

Most important I got my character looking kind of cool with the scale armor and a circle on the head. She's a blond white lady called Breana so I finally got my Game of Thrones cosplay going on (yes I know for full cosplay I should be wielding a sword but whatever).

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

As usual, reacting to things out of context, without learning, without caring

" Situational disability refers to circumstances where an individual experiences limitations in ability or mobility due to the interaction between their condition and the environment or context they are in. Unlike permanent or chronic disabilities that affect an individual consistently, situational disabilities are temporary and dependent on specific situations."

[emphasis mine]

But I know, it doesn't matter, let's not learn how to think about things a little differently, let's just make fun of the internet lady lol snowflakes whatever. Blah blah blah...

And yeah all single player games should have pause buttons it's 2024 ferfuksake why is this even a debate lol

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Ah, I'll defend that take. Yes, hers is a very specific example, but as detailed by Stephanie/Jim in her/his take on the issue, the overlying issue is that "life" in general can be demanding, and the lack of the ability to pause a GAME adds little more than an unnecessary inconvenience. Darks Souls isn't hard because you can't pause; it's hard because the moment to moment gameplay demands your attention to details and critical timing; not being able to pause is simply... a dick move? Yeah, it's one try at a boss in your example, but let's say I'm on my 10th try, and finally making some headway, about to win, and suddenly, someone knocks on my door, the baby starts crying, the smoke detector goes off, insert any myriad of unexpected situational developments, not being able to pause is a hinderance to my gaming experience that itself adds nothing to the core gaming experience of Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is not defined by its lack of a pause feature. Having it available would not break the core Dark Souls experience. So yeah, one could define it as a "disability" in the strictest sense, having obligations outside of the game world that might interrupt or demand our attention outside of the game, but what it surmounts to are games that don't readily afford you attend to anything but them when they've been turned on which can be perceived as unreasonable in most reasonable peoples' minds.

That said, like an Easy mode, I'm not suggesting Souls games "need" a pause button. I accept full responsibility when I turn them on that death could be around every corner even when I'm not in front of the TV, but would a pause function hurt? Not at all, and to anyone with anecdotes about how their enjoyment of their individual experience was hampered by a lack of said pause functionality, I completely understand.

EDIT: And before anyone tries to defend not being able to pause by saying that pausing during a boss fight might give the player an unfair advantage when compared to the dev's intent, I say that, as someone who has been one-shot by many a Souls boss many a time, I doubt being able to pause during a frenetic fight would make much of a difference. If Maliketh was in the air already delivering a life-ending haymaker, I doubt pausing at that point to adjust my strategy would have helped much...

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ah, I'll defend that take. Yes, hers is a very specific example, but as detailed by Stephanie/Jim in her/his take on the issue, the overlying issue is that "life" in general can be demanding, and the lack of the ability to pause a GAME adds little more than an unnecessary inconvenience.
Sure life happens. But if life is happening then the video game doesn't matter. That's the point. Life isn't going to prevent you from beating the game in the end the same way a real disability might like color blindness, or hearing impairment or whatever. If life interrupts the game at WORST you lose that attempt, which is nothing to cry about. It's spilt milk, meaningless and easily recoverable.

That is why I don't like the idea of making game changes based on personal circumstances. Games simply cannot be designed that way. You release and design a game for the general audience experience you want to convey and if that experience isn't compatible with someone's life then oh well. A game made for everybody is a game that's made for nobody. And A bunch of nit-picky situations that can affect your playtime are not really worth considering when designing any game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sure life happens. But if life is happening then the video game doesn't matter. That's the point. Life isn't going to prevent you from beating the game in the end the same way a real disability might like color blindness, or hearing impairment or whatever. If life interrupts the game at WORST you lose that attempt, which is nothing to cry about. It's spilt milk, meaningless and easily recoverable.

That is why I don't like the idea of making game changes based on personal circumstances. Games simply cannot be designed that way. You release and design a game for the general audience experience you want to convey and if that experience isn't compatible with someone's life then oh well. A game made for everybody is a game that's made for nobody. And A bunch of nit-picky situations that can affect your playtime are not really worth considering when designing any game.
All that sounds like a you problem. If a pause button happened in a Souls game, you would still be living fine and nothing else would change. For all your talks about people being overly sensitive, you sure are sensitive about this subject. Most of the other Soul style games have a pause button of sum kind and nobody cried about those. So people can deal with one in an actual Dark Souls game. So let's cut the elitist gamer bull crap you are shoveling.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Jesus H. Fucking Tapdancing Christ. You're using this argument against a pause mode?! Why don't you just come out and say "I don't need it so why bother"?
I'm not arguing against a pause button. i dont give a shit. I am arguing against a stupid argument. It's not a matter of protecting some purity of no pausing in a Souls game, or any game. It's a matter of pushing back against people who turn the stupidest gripe into some game industry issue and causing drama around it. Some complaints you just have to tell to shut up, you know?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not arguing against a pause button. i dont give a shit. I am arguing against a stupid argument. It's not a matter of protecting some purity of no pausing in a Souls game, or any game. It's a matter of pushing back against people who turn the stupidest gripe into some game industry issue and causing drama around it. Some complaints you just have to tell to shut up, you know?
For someone who doesn't give a shit, you wouldn't be this argumentative about it. You would've seen it, said nothing, and immediately moved on if that were the case. You've done this before, and I am not talking about Dark Souls.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For someone who doesn't give a shit, you wouldn't be this argumentative about it. You would've seen it, said nothing, and immediately moved on if that were the case. You've done this before, and I am not talking about Dark Souls.
yeah yeah, dont talk, dont have a conversation, dont have a contradicting idea. same ol song and dance. BOO wicked man!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Well, at least none of these hot takes are as dumb as this one from a few years ago:
FOoWrQoXIAc4prJ.jpg

As a reminder, Salama was one of the devs at EA for SW: BF2, BFV, and BF2042, and at the time of this post this and currently working at Ubisoft.

UX design is fairly subjective, and he may have had a point there if all his game works didn't have crap UX/UI themselves

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
hmm...
Well I like the Briar shield because it's the lightest greatshield I found but I'll keep a watch on its effectiveness for guard. I even put the no skill on the shield so I can more easily use my right hand weapon art of war but I didn't think about negating the shield's bleed effect by doing that. I'll try putting it back and see if I can get a shield-bash + stick smash fight style going.

But as I'm bouncing back in between Mt Gelmir and Lyndell I'm already starting to experience what I feared- can't guard counter because everything moves around too fast.
Rather I spent my upgrade materials on a spear with spectal lance because I saw Jack Packard do it on his stream and it was the only way I could defeat a full born morning star beast near Volcano Manor and some gargoyle that appears on the stairs of Lyndell. I'm now in bullshit fly around hit box mode and trying to hit them with my big smashy stick is a comedy of angles.

Most important I got my character looking kind of cool with the scale armor and a circle on the head. She's a blond white lady called Breana so I finally got my Game of Thrones cosplay going on (yes I know for full cosplay I should be wielding a sword but whatever).
It’s mostly noticeable on mobs or bosses that hit a lot or really hard, where the extra 10-15 points of guard boost would drain less compounded stamina. Depends what ash is on the great stars, but something like wild strikes would make up for the bleed on shield bash. Kinda situational I guess.

Not sure if you’re doing an all bosses run but eh, most of the jumpy spazzy ones are optional if nothing else. I usually stayed on Torrent for the outdoor Fallingstar beasts myself and would do ride by’s when it stops to be safe, but on foot I think lions claw on the great stars or giants hunt on a spear to its face works nicely. Kinda funny when it clicks its mandibles like the predator when Arnie clocked it.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It’s mostly noticeable on mobs or bosses that hit a lot or really hard, where the extra 10-15 points of guard boost would drain less compounded stamina. Depends what ash is on the great stars, but something like wild strikes would make up for the bleed on shield bash. Kinda situational I guess.

Not sure if you’re doing an all bosses run but eh, most of the jumpy spazzy ones are optional if nothing else. I usually stayed on Torrent for the outdoor Fallingstar beasts myself and would do ride by’s when it stops to be safe, but on foot I think lions claw on the great stars or giants hunt on a spear to its face works nicely. Kinda funny when it clicks its mandibles like the predator when Arnie clocked it.
I was kind of doing an all bosses run but then I'm also not sure if I actually want to beat the game so playing it (heh) by ear.

Yesterday though I hit a couple of things that are pushing me away from that. I dunno, since I also listen to things while playing who knows. But like I came upon a dungeon Auriza Hero Grave that is one of those with those stupid chariots that roll over you and I just really hate dealing with those. Then I looked it up and the boss is two crucible knights and... ugh. I also tried a Bell Bearing Hunter and I couldn't deal with him even though I beat the Briar guy in one shot because I was able to summon. So I dunno...

On the flip side I had so much fun running into Margit as a sort of field enemy while riding around Lyndell and kicking his dumb ass easily in one shot. Also starting the Volcano Mano quest and taking out three of the invasion/asassination targets on the first try. I'm able to enjoy this run more because accepting the insanely wild swings in difficulty as part of the humor.

I feel like I had to beat the game once to enjoy it properly.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I was kind of doing an all bosses run but then I'm also not sure if I actually want to beat the game so playing it (heh) by ear.

Yesterday though I hit a couple of things that are pushing me away from that. I dunno, since I also listen to things while playing who knows. But like I came upon a dungeon Auriza Hero Grave that is one of those with those stupid chariots that roll over you and I just really hate dealing with those. Then I looked it up and the boss is two crucible knights and... ugh. I also tried a Bell Bearing Hunter and I couldn't deal with him even though I beat the Briar guy in one shot because I was able to summon. So I dunno...

On the flip side I had so much fun running into Margit as a sort of field enemy while riding around Lyndell and kicking his dumb ass easily in one shot. Also starting the Volcano Mano quest and taking out three of the invasion/asassination targets on the first try. I'm able to enjoy this run more because accepting the insanely wild swings in difficulty as part of the humor.

I feel like I had to beat the game once to enjoy it properly.
Yeah it takes the pressure off. That’s why I like NG+ in this one to just roll through stuff with different setups. Did you know in the chariots hero graves you can use Margit’s Shackle on the chariots to instantly destroy them? I think that’s the one where two of them go back and forth. You can just stand in a safe spot in the middle tunnel and use the shackle to trigger the fire trap, which makes them collide. It also works in general finding illusory walls. Probably wasn’t really intended but then again it’s been kept since launch.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

yeah yeah, dont talk, dont have a conversation, dont have a contradicting idea. same ol song and dance. BOO wicked man!
Do you see the hypocrisy?

A woman spoke out about her personal experience, her personal take, a conversation about a contrary opinion to the norm, which pointed out a very obnoxious "feature" (or lack thereof) in a game she enjoyed that prevented her living her life removed from the game, yet you rail against her take, calling it "stupid," in fact.

If you don't care if the option to pause is there or not, why even respond with your own opinion if you feel, ostensibly, that opinions aren't allowed?

Let's call it what it is: you feel that everyone who dares to take up a controller should have no expectation of accessibility or accommodation that the developer hasn't already put into the game out of some imagined protection of developer integrity. Devs don't need you to come to their defense; if they're selling a product (and games ARE products, and are susceptible to consumer scrutiny,) it is fair for consumers to critique them, and in this very specific case, hers is a fair critique. The lack of the ability to pause adds nothing to the core experience, but does affect the experience of players. What is "stupid" about that very obvious observation?